63% of Liverpool squad "asthmatic" - any substance to this article?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't suppose anyone actually knows this but is there a certain level of impairment required before people can be treated for "asthma" or other such conditions?

In other words if a football club run extremely rigorous tests and finds extremely minor issues, of the sort that a large swathe of the population unknowingly carry without it ever impeding them in real terms, could the football club happily diagnose and treat those minor issues on the basis that in a high-level sporting context they still represent a disadvantage? Or is there a certain level of significant impairment required before they could be legitimately treated for such conditions?

iHicksy

Please change the thread title to "any substance abuse to this article?"

Conor

Don't suppose anyone actually knows this but is there a certain level of impairment required before people can be treated for "asthma" or other such conditions?

In other words if a football club run extremely rigorous tests and finds extremely minor issues, of the sort that a large swathe of the population unknowingly carry without it ever impeding them in real terms, could the football club happily diagnose and treat those minor issues on the basis that in a high-level sporting context they still represent a disadvantage? Or is there a certain level of significant impairment required before they could be legitimately treated for such conditions?
Getting an inhaler is probably one of the easiest things to do, in terms of 'faking' something, unless they are doing some sort of blood tests these days.

::sonny::

Symbicort Turbohaler 200/6 Inhalation powder
AstraZeneca UK Limited

Active ingredient
budesonide
formoterol fumarate dihydrate

4. Clinical particulars
4.1 Therapeutic indications

Asthma
Symbicort Turbohaler is indicated in adults and adolescents (12 years and older) for the regular treatment of asthma, where use of a combination (inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting β2 adrenoceptor agonist) is appropriate:

- patients not adequately controlled with inhaled corticosteroids and “as needed” inhaled short-acting β2 adrenoceptor agonists.

or

- patients already adequately controlled on both inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting β2 adrenoceptor agonists.

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)

Symbicort Turbohaler is indicated in adults, aged 18 years and older, for the symptomatic treatment of patients with COPD with forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1) <70% predicted normal (post bronchodilator) and an exacerbation history despite regular bronchodilator therapy (see also section 4.4).

Systemic effects

Systemic effects may occur with any inhaled corticosteroid, particularly at high doses prescribed for long periods. These effects are much less likely to occur with inhalation treatment than with oral corticosteroids. Possible systemic effects include Cushing's syndrome, Cushingoid features, adrenal suppression, growth retardation in children and adolescents, decrease in bone mineral density, cataract and glaucoma, and more rarely, a range of psychological or behavioural effects including psychomotor hyperactivity, sleep disorders, anxiety, depression or aggression (particularly in children) (see section 4.8).

Potential effects on bone density should be considered particularly in patients on high doses for prolonged periods that have coexisting risk factors for osteoporosis. Long-term studies with inhaled budesonide in children at mean daily doses of 400 micrograms (metered dose) or in adults at daily doses of 800 micrograms (metered dose) have not shown any significant effects on bone mineral density. No information regarding the effect of Symbicort at higher doses is available.

Visual disturbance may be reported with systemic and topical corticosteroid use. If a patient presents with symptoms such as blurred vision or other visual disturbances, the patient should be considered for referral to an ophthalmologist for evaluation of possible causes, which may include cataract, glaucoma or rare diseases such as central serous chorioretinopathy (CSCR), which have been reported after use of systemic and topical corticosteroids.

reddyornot

The Dirk Kuyt column: 'I could run a bit but I'm jealous of Luis Diaz's lungs'
I could run a fair bit when I was a player, but I must admit I'm jealous of Luis Diaz's lungs. His stamina is amazing.

reddyornot

Here's another.
Former Liverpool player Danny Murphy hailed the club's current squad saying that the team's 'fitness levels are unbelievable'
So true Danny.

Hughie77

This thread shows despite how bad we are we will always be relevant to Liverpool. Literally a thread making a joke of something about Liverpool on a united forum and it is littered with Liverpool fans in outrage of the lies we believe.

Maybe it's just me but I never understood why a fan of a rival club would be a member their rivals forums. Even more strange the ones who post regularly. What do you get out of it? Or is it just to stay close to your dirty little secret
Agree its strange. Full member supports shite!! Oh sorry dippers .

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Do we know all the individuals that 'have asthma'? I'd be incredibly surprised if he doesn't develop it.

reddyornot

Liverpool have been out run in every single match this season. Minimum 1.7k fewer than opponent, max 7k, average 3.4k per match.
What could possibly be different this year?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool have been out run in every single match this season. Minimum 1.7k fewer than opponent, max 7k, average 3.4k per match.
Only team to have attempted, and nearly achieved up to the final days, the quadruple. That's a lot of games, leading to lots of muscle injuries. Coupled with a shorter summer. We can't afford to start strong and then fizzle out by January. We have to start slow.

On a related note you'll have seen similar with City. These two clubs know what they're doing, they're not daft. We'll leave the August and September PL/CL/FA/Carabao cups and bus parades to Arsenal and Utd.

Edit: scratch CL, mea culpa. :wenger:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This. It’s become so blatantly obvious I even have scouse mates who are open to the notion now.

They are all playing without that 10% extra and it’s shows so much.

I just hope the players don’t have health repercussions later on in life. I hate Liverpool as a club, but the individual players are human beings and I think they’ve been doped and run into the ground like they’re racehorses.

reddyornot

I see the stat that Liverpool have scored more last minute winners under Klopp in 8 years than Sir Alex did in 26 years.
Got to love those energy levels.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He gave all of them asthma and now he left them. If that's not a behavior of a psychopath I don't know what is.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Is this a cycling or off cycling year? Is it 2 years on, 1 year off, or every other year on and off? Do these PEDs stop injuries or cause them?

The logic changes every year so I need catching up on what the signs are currently.

TheReligion

Abusive
Is this a cycling or off cycling year? Is it 2 years on, 1 year off, or every other year on and off? Do these PEDs stop injuries or cause them?

The logic changes every year so I need catching up on what the signs are currently.
Don’t be an insufferable cnut because you won yesterday

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool

They don’t call OT the theatre of screams for nothing.

The terror inspired by our top-rate medical team and their effective use of PEDs in our schoolboy cup final winning team is giving the caff nightmares.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Then don't be a conspiracy lunatic because your rivals won yesterday.
Oi. Telling RedCafe users to stop being conspiracy lunatics? :nono:

You might as well tell eagles to stop flying, or dogs to stop barking.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's a Carabao Cup ffs you're not going to win the league, who cares.
Apparently all of you who felt the need to come in here and bring up the PEDs / asthma nonsense again :lol:

reddyornot

Courtesy of reddit.
"Klopp’s reaction to Szobo’s insane pressing.
Such a simple gesture but I bet it made Szobo feel ready to make that lung-bursting run again right there and then.
Imagine doing that for 90 min."