66 Years Since Munich Air Disaster.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I've got the first program after the crash with the empty United team.
I look at it and think of them many a time.
May they rest in peace.

Roane

Not my work but gets me every year:

T’was the night before Christmas, Old Trafford was bare.

The staff all gone home, there was nobody there...

The lights cast a shadow, a soft glimmer which

Lit up the soft green grass on the pitch.

Just as the clock gave out its twelfth chime,

An old man appeared, as if frozen in time.

He gazed at the tunnel, then broke out in voice,

“ITS TIME TO BEGIN... LET’S HAVE YOU MY BOYS!"

Out from the tunnel appeared a lone figure,

Same as in life, only infinitely bigger.

The old man called out as he slowly drew near:

“Good evening Duncan, are the rest of you here?"

The figure broke out in wide open smile,

“Good Evening Sir Matt, it has been a long while.

The rest are all coming; they’ll be here soon",

As seven more shadows were cast by the moon.

Whelan and Bent, Pegg, Taylor and Byrne,

Jones, and Colan, they came out in turn.

He greeted each one, just by calling their name,

then proudly announced “do you fancy a game?"

They took to the pitch, and the still night was broken.

By leather on leather, not one word was spoken.

They played once again, like they did long before,

And imagined the sound of the Old Trafford roar.

Edwards called out “come on lads let's pretend

That we’ve just scored a goal at the old Stretford End".

As they ran to the edge of the pitch by the goal,

There in the stands sat a solitary soul.

His eyes were all puffy, his cheeks wet with tears,

As his mind wandered back to those wonderful years.

“Come down and join us", they cried all as one.

“Yes come down and join them," said Matt, “go on son".

The lonely man stood and with much pain he said:

“I’m afraid I can’t play with you, you are all dead.

You are all ghosts, and I am alive,

That was the price that I paid to survive."

“My role was to go on, inspire the team

And finally realise Sir Matt Busby’s dream

To tell of your greatness, and as I get older

To burden the weight of your life on my shoulders."

The ghost of Sir Matt then raised up his head,

Giving out a loud groan, he finally said:

“Bobby, you survived, that much is true,

But we wouldn’t be here if it were not for you,

“For you are the one who has kept us alive.

That was the reason you had to survive.

If you were with us, all we have would be gone

And the game that we play could no longer go on.

“If you can’t understand why it happened this way

Then come here and watch when United play.

They sing about us, they remember us all.

We live and we breathe with each kick of the ball.

“The legends that live here — Robson and Best,

Cantona, Law, Giggs, Scholes and the rest —

They are us, we are them, we are all here as one

And that is the reason United goes on.

“So come down and join us, we’re begging you do.

You are still one of us, and we’re still one of you."

And then Bobby’s face rose and he gave them a smile

And he said “I would love to come play for a while."

They played and they played, as they did in the past,

Only not quite as skilful, and not quite as fast.

And when it was over, and when it was done,

They’d defeated Benfica by four goals to one.

Then Sir Matt said “lads, it's been fun you know,

But it’s now Christmas day, and we really must go."

They walked to the front of the stadium and turned

And Sir Bobby said “there is something I’ve learned.

“You did not die, on that February night;

You’re still here with us, as you’re with me tonight,

And you’ll live on forever as long as we play",

As the ghosts disappeared down Sir Matt Busby Way.

Real Name

United flag is deepest red.
It shrouded all our Munich dead.
Before their limbs grew stiff and cold.
Their heart blood dyed it's every fold.

Then raise United's banner high.
Beneath it's shade we'll live and die.
So keep the faith and and never fear.
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

We'll never die, we'll never die.
We'll never die, we'll never die.
We'll keep the red flag flying high.
'cause Man United will never die

RIP.

Puskas_007

RIP - hard to find something to say that doesn't sound trite, but when thinking about how good they could have been, it happened just as they'd really hit their stride in England, with titles and trophies already delivered, and of the defeat against Madrid, Busby had said a great team had beaten a team with the potential to be great, they had the world at their feet and we'll never forget.

The actions of the those at the club in the aftermath are pretty much a miracle, we'd come from near bankruptcy (not the first time either) and a stadium that was the pride of the country destroyed by war, and finally the masterplan of Busby and Murphy was in full flow, to keep going after the tragedy must have taken so much it's unfathomable.

Maticmaker

RIP Busby Babes - anyone who wants a better understanding of that fateful day and the trauma that followed should read "The Day a Team Died"(*) by Frank Taylor (reporter for MEN)
Frank was on the plane and the last one out of hospital in Munich... breaks your heart.

(*) lots of editions printed but try to get hold of the first one!

MalaysianRed7

I can’t do any better expressing my condolences and love for this team who played multiple decades before I was born, but yet I still have a connection with (as does every other United fan), than this oft-cited poem:

A broken plane,
A broken dream,
A broken heart,
A broken team,
No word said,
A silent vow,
We loved you then,
We love you now.

dalriada

I was only a few months old when it happened, but when I started supporting Utd in the years following the European Cup victory, it was still fresh in the memory of many in the city.
To some of the finest players in the history of our great football club, Rest In Peace. We will never forget you.

Rustyspider13

Rest in peace to the Flowers of Manchester.

A thought crossed my mind during the minute silence this year-that this is as close to immortality as any human being will ever achieve. To have 70000+ people fall silent in unison-that is powerful, that legacy is everlasting. Their tale of sacrifice will live on through the generations of Manchester United fans.

They will never be forgotten.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I recently re-watched the documentary The Three Kings, about Sir Matt, Jock Stein and Bill Shankly. Great viewing but reviewing the disaster, what it meant and then going on to win the European Cup 10 years later was spine tingling.

MoskvaRed

The great “what if“ of English football. Two league titles already (and a double without an act of pure thuggery). Add Bobby Charlton to the mix (only a bit part player pre-Munich), maybe John Giles staying if the club had been on a more normal footing and then a bit later, and concurrently with a by then peak Duncan Edwards, George Best emerging. United would definitely have had more league titles and would almost certainly won a European Cup before 1968, while England might have won the WC before 66.

BlueHaze

Rest In Peace..

I think this quoute from King Eric is fitting when we remember them.

''I felt the step and I felt the ghosts of the past of Manchester United. Sometimes that can paralyse players, but for me it was helpful. I felt the energy of the ghosts and the past and it made me even stronger.''

MichaelB1807

A lot of nice words in this post, but 2000 fans attended. Sickening. Disgusting. Such a large fan base. Imagine this was many other teams. I took the day off work unpaid and travelled from my adopted home of the Midlands to be there. Very poor, Utd 'fans'.

eire-red

Being born in 1994, of course the Ferguson era is all I can relate to, and SAF will always be a legend and a role model to me.

However, when I think of the heart and soul of Manchester United, I always think of the Busby Babes, and what it must have taken to come back from the disaster and win the European Cup only ten years later.

Remembering those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the club, and those that stayed on to resurrect the club from it's knees, is what sets us apart from any other club in the world in my eyes.

RIP.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Being born in 1994, of course the Ferguson era is all I can relate to, and SAF will always be a legend and a role model to me.

However, when I think of the heart and soul of Manchester United, I always think of the Busby Babes, and what it must have taken to come back from the disaster and win the European Cup only ten years later.

Remembering those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the club, and those that stayed on to resurrect the club from it's knees, is what sets us apart from any other club in the world in my eyes.

RIP.
Very well said.

dave1956

Very well said.
Very well said.

RIP.
Very True and even more so when you take into account also the death of Walter Crickmer, Club Secretary, who also had 2 spells as manager of the club and was responsible together with the then owner James W Gibson of instituting the club's Youth Development System. Then there was the death of the coaching staff, Tom Curry trainer and Chief Coach Bert Whalley.

Moriarty

RIP Busby Babes - anyone who wants a better understanding of that fateful day and the trauma that followed should read "The Day a Team Died"(*) by Frank Taylor (reporter for MEN)
Frank was on the plane and the last one out of hospital in Munich... breaks your heart.

(*) lots of editions printed but try to get hold of the first one!
It's a very good book. My copy doesn't have the eulogy to Sir Matt. Stan Williamson's book 'The Munich Air Disaster' came out in 1972 and it too is worth a read.

TheReligion

Abusive
A lot of nice words in this post, but 2000 fans attended. Sickening. Disgusting. Such a large fan base. Imagine this was many other teams. I took the day off work unpaid and travelled from my adopted home of the Midlands to be there. Very poor, Utd 'fans'.
More people in Munich commemorating it than in Manchester. Ashamed.
Well done to you

Moriarty

I was a toddler when Munich happened, but I learned from my dad and my granddad all about the Babes. Now my old man was at Wembley for the 1948 FA Cup final against Blackpool and he rated that team as one of the best, but the Babes, he said, were better. He went to the Sheffield Wednesday game after Munich when they had to pencil in the team on the programme because they didn't know who would be playing. He never had a good word to say about Alan Hardaker, a man he despised.

I remember the 10th anniversary year. We played Spurs away and won 2-1 just after they'd dumped us out of the cup. I don't recall any minute's silence or anything really to commemorate the disaster at the game but it was a long time ago and I could be wrong. These later years have seen excursions to Munich and events planned around the anniversary. Back then, those who were old enough to remember the Babes remembered in their own ways and, if they were like my dad, they passed the memory on to their kids.

NICanRed

I was 12 and remember hearing the news on the radio. We were all shocked and this was probably the first time I ever read the newspaper just to get all the news. In N. Ireland we were locally interested to follow the reports because of the courageous exploits of Harry Gregg.
Five years ago I was in the UK for my sister's 70th birthday and was determined to get to OT for the 60th anniversary. It was a moving experience not least because SAF was speaking.
I realise the Manchester United was a power in football before Munich but I wonder if the disaster might have been responsible for the longevity of our support and success.
RIP

Maticmaker

I was a toddler when Munich happened, but I learned from my dad and my granddad all about the Babes. Now my old man was at Wembley for the 1948 FA Cup final against Blackpool and he rated that team as one of the best, but the Babes, he said, were better. He went to the Sheffield Wednesday game after Munich when they had to pencil in the team on the programme because they didn't know who would be playing. He never had a good word to say about Alan Hardaker, a man he despised.

I remember the 10th anniversary year. We played Spurs away and won 2-1 just after they'd dumped us out of the cup. I don't recall any minute's silence or anything really to commemorate the disaster at the game but it was a long time ago and I could be wrong. These later years have seen excursions to Munich and events planned around the anniversary. Back then, those who were old enough to remember the Babes remembered in their own ways and, if they were like my dad, they passed the memory on to their kids.
I was 11 years old and had bunked off school, in those days it took half a day to get to OT from where I lived, me and two mates got within a quarter of a mile of the ground, 2 hours before KO but couldn't get any closer, listened to match broadcast on pocket radio of another fan nearby.
Hardaker had a lot to answer for, he had advised United not to enter the competition, and had insisted they got back from the mid week European tie in time to play in a Div 1 game on the Saturday following. In many peoples eyes this was why three attempts were made to take off from Munich, before the crash. It probably wasn't the reason, but the club was under serious pressure from Hardaker and lots of people feel his bullying tactics were 'in play' somewhere.

**footnote: the day after at school I was sent to the head teacher's study to receive corporal punishment for missing school, but fortunately he was a secret 'red' and because I owned up to why I had missed school, he just gave me a rollicking... so I avoid two strokes of the cane!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Whenever a tv channel shows footage of the coffins being driven through Manchester, I wish we highlights of some of the games the Babes played. First time I ever saw the clip was shattering

Moriarty

I was 11 years old and had bunked off school, in those days it took half a day to get to OT from where I lived, me and two mates got within a quarter of a mile of the ground, 2 hours before KO but couldn't get any closer, listened to match broadcast on pocket radio of another fan nearby.
Hardaker had a lot to answer for, he had advised United not to enter the competition, and had insisted they got back from the mid week European tie in time to play in a Div 1 game on the Saturday following. In many peoples eyes this was why three attempts were made to take off from Munich, before the crash. It probably wasn't the reason, but the club was under serious pressure from Hardaker and lots of people feel his bullying tactics were 'in play' somewhere.

**footnote: the day after at school I was sent to the head teacher's study to receive corporal punishment for missing school, but fortunately he was a secret 'red' and because I owned up to why I had missed school, he just gave me a rollicking... so I avoid two strokes of the cane!
Hardaker bullied Chelsea into not entering the competition. His own dream was fulfilled however - the League Cup, and here we are in the final. To me, it's still a tinpot competition and one we didn't use to bother with. How times have changed.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

I believe you are right about the 3 attempts to take off so they would be able to get back.
Munich has a special place in my heart.
Firstly the tragedy brought me to become a life long fan of Manchester United.
And secondly, it was a place I went to many times as part of my work and frequently flew from Bristol to the old Munich Riem airport. And I often thought about what had happened all those years ago.

The thing I always remember was that despite all of the Busby Babes who were killed in the crash, Manchester United still got to the FA Cup final that year. An amazing achievement.