7 losses in 11 Champions League games...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Well to put things into perspective off the 11 games. 4 were against PSG, 2 against Barcelona and 2 against a strong Leipzig side. Still a shambolic record. Hopefully he improves on it.
Let's see how strong Leipzig are when they play City...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The performances have been mostly woeful as well, some were comicably bad. We played well vs PSG when we beat them 0-1, Barcelona when we lost 0-1 was a decent game, Leipzig 5-0 was good, and Basaksehir 4-1 was good. The other matches, we probably deserved to lose based on the performance or we actually lost.

We had changes vs PSG at home last season but they clearly deserved to win, they created even more and were easily better.

It is a really poor record whichever way you try to spin it.
All changed with the Fred sending off. Any other manager on the planet would've hooked him off at HT!

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Whatever happens, I just hope and pray that we don't end up the EL again. Dear lord I cannot cope with seeing another campaign in that damned competition!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
bit of a red herring of a stat given where we started and how much better the stats are if you include Europa. Still a few bad results in there though, the worst part of oles couple of years
this is United - we shouldn't be anywhere near the Europa. the fact that this is somehow acceptable shows how far we have fallen and how the club propaganda has worked

Bestietom

Read today that Ole said loss was down to EXPERIENCE. Does he mean himself and his coaches.
3 semi finals and a final loss tells something.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Bit different now that the brains of the operation has left along with three vital players isn't it?
Won’t matter to some, they see the name and think it’s all the same. Lack of knowledge doesn’t matter for their agenda’s.

meamth

Because we are not blind and see a pattern of United failing to control the midfield against inferior opposition, which allows them to run straight at our defence and cause havoc.

We didn’t control it against Soton, Wolves, Newcastle or YB. Soton made us pay for it and got a point, Wolves got objectively unlucky and deserved a point, Newcastle got outgunned by our superior attack to their shite defence, YB schooled us.

We can see repeated team frailties being papered over by an individually strong team. How one cannot see that is beyond me. We are worried mf’ers, don’t you get it?
I really can't wait for the reverse fixture. We'll see.

Reading your comments, YB will smash us at Old Trafford.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Bit different now that the brains of the operation has left along with three vital players isn't it?
fair comment but I bet it's not even close. And I'm unconvinced by Upamecano, and has Konate played for Liverpool yet? The manager? total agree that this makes a huge difference

Godfather

Won’t matter to some, they see the name and think it’s all the same. Lack of knowledge doesn’t matter for their agenda’s.
But I thought Nagelsmann was a hipster manager? Now I'm confused. Is he actually really good and makes a difference or not?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
But I thought Nagelsmann was a hipster manager? Now I'm confused. Is he actually really good and makes a difference or not?
Of course he is. You don't achieve what he has, and then go to Bayern and look so comfortable, if you're a hipster manager.

MadMike

I really can't wait for the reverse fixture. We'll see.

Reading your comments, YB will smash us at Old Trafford.
Jesus Christ, how much disconnect can one have? Do you read the posts?

First off I want us to thump them at OT, I don't rejoice in our misery. I've stated that repeatedly.

Secondly, Young Boys are not a team on our level. They should not be schooling us on a CL night, making us look like a pub side and having us worried if we'll qualify. Us thumping them at Old Trafford will not magically erase last night from our memories. Thumping them at Old Trafford is absolutely expected when we have a team full of world class players, it's not a sign of an achievement it's a requirement.

Only you could think that we wouldn't want to win, or that winning the reverse fixture against a shite team would put our worries about Ole to bed for good. You're having a mare mate, you seem to completely not comprehend what we're feeling or what are hopes and expectations for the club are.

Last edited:

Godfather

Of course he is. You don't achieve what he has, and then go to Bayern and look so comfortable, if you're a hipster manager.
Yeah but you can't have it both ways. I was hugely in favour of getting Nagelsmann. Big fan of him. But on here he was labelled a hipster manager by some. Now just wait for those calling him that using his departure as an excuse if City beat them.

Infra-red

Whatever happens, I just hope and pray that we don't end up the EL again. Dear lord I cannot cope with seeing another campaign in that damned competition!
Ronaldo and Varane in the Europa League would be a sight to behold.

It can't (and hopefully won't) happen. It would be unforgivable with this group and our squad.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We didn't have a shot on target at Old Trafford that night. That was anything but decent, against a Barcelona side that went on to ship four at Anfield (and had conceded three and got knocked out in Rome the year before). We also managed only 33% possession despite being a goal down from the 12th minute. Basically, Barca kept us at arm's length effortlessly.
Decent for Ole's standards* I guess. :nervous:

Pintu

And one of the PSG defeats was cancelled by the fact we won away and put them out.

It’s not great, but that record is really skewed by him only being in charge for knock out games in 2019 and a really tough group last year. I’m going to go out on a limb and say no teams last 11 fixtures in the champions league look like that.
Look at Atalanta's record. They are a total Champions league debutants and had it tough on the first 3 but since then, in the last 15 Champions League games, they played Liverpool, PSG, Real Madrid Manchester City and Ajax. They've only lost 3 of the 15.

And they are only the 8th budget in Italy. Manchester is almost 10 times richer than Atalanta. There are no excuses for Manchester United losing 7 of 11. None whatsoever.

meamth

Jesus Christ, how much disconnect can one have? Do you read the posts?

First off I want us to thump them at OT, I don't rejoice in our misery. I've stated that repeatedly.

Secondly, Young Boys are not a team on our level. They should not be schooling us on a CL night, making us look like a pub side and having us worried if we'll qualify. Us thumping them at Old Trafford will not magically erase last night from our memories. Thumping them at Old Trafford is absolutely expected when we have a team full of world class players, it's not a sign of an achievement it's a requirement.

Only you could think that we wouldn't want to win, or that winning the reverse fixture against a shite team would put our worries about Ole to bed for good. You're having a mare mate, you seem to completely not comprehend what we're feeling or what are hopes and expectations for the club are.
Ole went on defensive. That was his misjudgement, okay.
We fought well, conceded 2 very unlucky goals, most of the attack are dealt with. We almost got the result.

We can go 2 ways, trying to play with back four and risk of getting stretched and concede more goals,

or

Rely on our defensive talents in Varane, Lindelof and Maguire. Shut down the wings from being stretched - Ole's choice.

Yeah, we didn't get the results we wanted, the tactics were wrong, but we are close to getting the defensive masterclass result. But don't say like we never tried to control, we did, but it was difficult, not their day to be honest.
Shit happens, pretty sure Ole knows that, we know that. I've seen worst performances during Fergie days when we lost to stupid teams, this is nothing considering the disadvantage we had.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Yeah but you can't have it both ways. I was hugely in favour of getting Nagelsmann. Big fan of him. But on here he was labelled a hipster manager by some. Now just wait for those calling him that using his departure as an excuse if City beat them.
I agree. I definately was advocating him too. How could anyone not? It was always just a slight to defend Ole with. Ole is seen as the young and learning manager by those people. Best to just take no notice of it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It is a bad record. Don’t know why people are bringing up the PL (away) record. Yes that’s a good record, but doesn’t have anything to do with the CL.
I am also actually not looking forward to our games against Villarreal and Atalanta. They are Leicester’s level, but with more experience and much better performances in Europe than Leicester.
These games will be very difficult.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No idea what the hipster manager crap is but he’s a really good boss if that’s what it means.

Losing players and your manager you aren’t the same team next season.

reddyornot

When Liverpool last won the Champion league they lost 4 games. A record for a team while winning the Champions league.
Spurs also lost 4 games getting to the final.

tomaldinho1

Let's see how strong Leipzig are when they play City...
Pool beat them 2-0 home and away last season anyway, we know they are average since we hammered them at home but then we changed formation in the crunch game.

Jezpeza

Its a poor record. Been some difficult fixtures in there though. Had hoped we would beat Young Boys. They to me looked the easiest 6 points to get on the board in our group. Its not the hardest group ever but Atalanta and Villareal aren’t exactly pub teams and have decent european records. Not much breathing space for us now.

Think the red card changed it all last night. We were value for a point which was okay under circumstances but you cant plan around catastrophic errors and red cards so a bit kneejerk for some to act like the sky has fallen in.

largelyworried

The real worry is the performances. We can kind of ignore that first season's results, that was a different team. And I can live with games like the last PSG one at home, I felt that game could have gone either way, even after the red. We were naive, but played ok. But the games against Istanbul away, Leipzig away and last night were all real stinkers, absolutely miles off the pace. We don't look like a team that's comfortable at this level.

Dan_F

Look at Atalanta's record. They are a total Champions league debutants and had it tough on the first 3 but since then, in the last 15 Champions League games, they played Liverpool, PSG, Real Madrid Manchester City and Ajax. They've only lost 3 of the 15.

And they are only the 8th budget in Italy. Manchester is almost 10 times richer than Atalanta. There are no excuses for Manchester United losing 7 of 11. None whatsoever.
Not sure where you’ve got those details from.

They lost 3 out of 8 games last season and drew against Ajax and midgetland.

Year before that they played 9 games and lost 4.

Keefy18

We've played PSG 4 times, 2 wins 2 losses - a fair record.

We've played RB Leipzig 2 times, 1 win 1 loss - not great, but it happens.

We've played Barca 2 times, both losses - this was when we had a shit squad, and Messi was still at Barca.

We've played Istabul 2 times, 1 win 1 loss - that loss was catastrophic.

We've played Young Boys once, and lost - an unfortunate loss due to a red card, and a brainless moment from Lingard.

It's not great, but hyperbole always makes things seem worse.
What is this, perspective... can't be having that on here, we must lose our minds surely?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He lost away to the weakest team in the group last season which cost him qualification to the knock out stages. He has done the same this season. I don't know why he tinkered with the side when everyone here felt he should start the strongest 11. I think this should be his last season to prove his worth. I hope the penny drops but my gut tells me he just doesn't have it.

Wilt

If we hadn’t fluke‘d the 2-0 win over PSG ….it‘d be 8 losses from 11

Eriku

Just looking through those performances and most were awful too. Even that first PSG game we got absolutely battered and only snuck through via goalkeeper errors and a late penalty. It's not like we were unlucky in our losses, we were definitely lucky in our PSG and Leipzig wins.
We were pretty damn unlucky in the group stage loss to PSG. Instead of Martial giving us a two goal cushion we get Fred losing his head and a loss. And the loss in Istanbul was due to an incredible slip in defensive safety on a corner. People talk about individual brilliance bailing us out, but there’s been some remarkable defensive feck-ups too.

Jezpeza

We were pretty damn unlucky in the group stage loss to PSG. Instead of Martial giving us a two goal cushion we get Fred losing his head and a loss. And the loss in Istanbul was due to an incredible slip in defensive safety on a corner. People talk about individual brilliance bailing us out, but there’s been some remarkable defensive feck-ups too.
Was that the the positioning of the great Eric Bailly - still cant believe people were clinging to the myth that he was the answer in defence because he had never been fit enough to play 10 games in a row to consistently prove how shit he is

Eriku

Was that the the positioning of the great Eric Bailly - still cant believe people were clinging to the myth that he was the answer in defence because he had never been fit enough to play 10 games in a row to consistently prove how shit he is
Yeah, he’s shown quite clearly to be far too prone to lapses in judgement. Leaving Matic, who’s still a solid 15-20 mins from the halfway line, to chase Demba Ba. Never see them given away like that unless we’re talking chasing the game in added time.

Keefy18

and to all those apologists saying it was PSG and Barca so it don’t really count… we’re Man Utd for fooks sake !!
God I fcukin hate this mentality.

It's beyond idiotic.

We're Unirah and we should always dominate and win games by 7 goals... what age are you for god sake?

Godfather

All changed with the Fred sending off. Any other manager on the planet would've hooked him off at HT!
I was reminded so much of that situation yesterday when Young Boys took off Christopher Martins who was on the brink of getting sent off. They took him off. Wise decision.

Godfather

God I fcukin hate this mentality.

It's beyond idiotic.

We're Unirah and we should always dominate and win games by 7 goals... what age are you for god sake?
Don't think that's his point. His point is that Ole's catastrophic CL record for us shouldn't be excused by pointing at our games against PSG or Barca. A Barca team that was convincingly beat by Pool. It's a more than fair point.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Just out of interest what was Sir Alex's record in his first eleven games?

It's not a rhetorical question as I don't know the answer, but I do remember even after you won it in '99 there being some pretty embarrassing results and didn't you even finish bottom of the group stage one year?

Maybe it's not my place but while last night's result and performance were obviously bad I'd suggest waiting until at least the group stage is over before pronouncing judgement.

There's a long way to go yet.