75 Years Since Hitler's Death

Skills

Snitch
Are we allowed to say anything bad about him, or is this not the thread for it?

arnie_ni

Any germans here? In history class how do they teach ww1 and ww2

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s dead? I was watching a documentary last night called ‘The man in the high castle‘ and he was very much alive!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I stood where he died. It's now a carpark.

OleBoiii

Say what you want about the man; he indirectly gave us this meme:

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
I dont know about other places, but in my school it was very shallow and mostly focused on guilt-tripping rather than looking at what lead up to the events of WW2, what made people follow the NSDAP, etc. Aka actually understanding what happened. And then just test about us knowing the exact dates and numbers and that was about it.
We also almost skipped WW1. Just went through it a few weeks and then instantly jumped to WW2.

decorativeed

I dont know about other places, but in my school it was very shallow and mostly focused on guilt-tripping rather than looking at what lead up to the events of WW2, what made people follow the NSDAP, etc. Aka actually understanding what happened. And then just test about us knowing the exact dates and numbers and that was about it.
We also almost skipped WW1. Just went through it a few weeks and then instantly jumped to WW2.
That's funny, because it's the exact opposite of what I was and wasn't taught in history lessons at school. Perhaps the German and English education systems could combine these into a proper lesson plan, and we'd be all the better for it!

Skills

Snitch
That's funny, because it's the exact opposite of what I was and wasn't taught in history lessons at school. Perhaps the German and English education systems could combine these into a proper lesson plan, and we'd be all the better for it!
Same skipped right over WW2. WWI was also just half a term in Year 9, the rest of the time was spent on the Henry's, Richards and a good amount on America (natives and slavery)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Always get him confused with James Corden and then I get all disappointed when I find out he's the dead one.

Cait Sith

Bit of a random fact but since this is somewhat about Germany and Penna was mentioned: Penna literally means "bum" in German. It's written "Penner", but pronounced "Penna".

nimic

something nice
Scout

It's not like the Daily Mail were alone in this. Aftenposten, a large Norwegian traditionally conservative newspaper, was not terribly critical of fascism in the build-up to WW2, and were made (or made themselves) available to the German occupiers after the invasion. Of course, unlike the Daily Mail, Aftenposten is bitterly aware of their past. Here's an article in Aftenposten about it, called "When Aftenposten failed".

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Coincidentally, "The Hater of Britain Now Rules" was also their standby headline in the event of Labour winning GE2019.

Pagh Wraith

Extensively. The Nazi era took up a whole semester in year 12 (four lessons per week in my history major). I don't think a single stone was left unturned.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

It's not like the Daily Mail were alone in this. Aftenposten, a large Norwegian traditionally conservative newspaper, was not terribly critical of fascism in the build-up to WW2, and were made (or made themselves) available to the German occupiers after the invasion. Of course, unlike the Daily Mail, Aftenposten is bitterly aware of their past. Here's an article in Aftenposten about it, called "When Aftenposten failed".
interesting!

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I still find it incredible that he's the absolute bad guy of all time. Not for what he did of course, but just that whenever anybody thinks of a 'bad guy', his name is the first. 75 years on and you're never more than a few sentences away from his name being mentioned as per Godwin's Law.

I suppose because we haven't been in another World War since and there hasn't been another proper infamous enemy to enter the public conscious?

In the UK we had the IRA and then we've had Al-Qaeda and ISIS and of those only really Bin Laden was a recognisable person to hate but nothing like Hitler. In America they had successive Soviet leaders plus Bin Laden but again, nothing like Hitler so that probably plays into it.

Hitler is the most famous bad guy of all time. He's almost comic book/tv series/film level but he was real life.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Are we allowed to say anything bad about him, or is this not the thread for it?
He's considered one of the most odious people ever to live, so we've got try to frame him in a good light, blame his cultural and environmental influences, and be as edgy as possible.