80 League Goals

Skills

Snitch
Can we get it next season?

Minimum 80 goals for me is what Man Utd should be scoring irrespective of position. During Fergie's years, the clubs identity was always one of a team that scored a lot of goals. The goals might not have been as pretty as Wenger's Arsenal, but Man Utd were always the team you tune into if you want to watch a few goals.

That part of our identity has been eroded away in the years post Fergie. It's been more damaging in fact than the league positions - because we're no longer many neutrals/casual viewers automatic club of choice to tune into watch some goals.

Can we regain that?

tjb

The goal for any team looking to securely challenge in the Premier League is 80 plus points with a 40 plus goal difference. The majority of teams with that win the title across all leagues using a 38 game format. Usually that means 70 to 80 plus goals with 20 to 40 goals conceded.

Nickelodeon

Well we're definitely not going to score 24 goals in the next 5 games. Maybe next season we can aim for that. Our last 3 games have resulted in 11 goals so that's a good omen.

freeurmind

weak willed
If Pogba and Bruno stay fit next season and we bring in Sancho, we could hit 90.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well we're definitely not going to score 24 goals in the next 5 games. Maybe next season we can aim for that. Our last 3 games have resulted in 11 goals so that's a good omen.
5 in the next 4 games and 4 vs Leicester?

meamth

Muppet mode on!
Let's do the math, if we consider natural player growth and improvement (league goals only, minus injuries):

1. Martial: 25 goals (15 goals this season)
2. Rashford: 20 goals (15 goals this season)
3. Mason Greenwood: 15 goals (8 goals this season)
4. Bruno: 15 goals
5. Sancho: 10 goals

That is just the attackers, if we add other goals from McT, Pogba, and others, we maybe looking at more than 80 goals. :drool:

Skills

Snitch
Muppet mode on!
Let's do the math, if we consider natural player growth and improvement (league goals only, minus injuries):

That is just the attackers, if we add other goals from McT, Pogba, and others, we maybe looking at more than 80 goals. :drool:
I don't think Martial will get 25 as he doesn't take penalties. Should be getting 20 though.

If we get Sancho he should be getting 15 though, so that makes up that 5 goal count.

meamth

I don't think Martial will get 25 as he doesn't take penalties. Should be getting 20 though.

If we get Sancho he should be getting 15 though, so that makes up that 5 goal count.
The crazy part is this season we should've achieved high numbers if not because of the injuries we had. What could've been this season if Martial, Rashford and Pogba didn't get injured..

RiqCantona

I think Martial scoring 25 goals would be stretching it slightly. He's always been around the 10-15 league goals mark, so he'd have to score twice as many to get to 25.

I posted in another thread that we do lack a striker who would score those 25 goals solid in the league. If we get that, then 80+ goals will be achievable imo. Even with Sancho, the current team can get to 70-75 max - its those 10 extra goals which we would be missing imo.

Reactions: Sultan

Eddy_JukeZ

Hopefully.

For all the talk of our defense and midfield post SAF, the misfiring attack is the main reason why we've failed to mount to a title challenge.

Our highest goal tally was 68 in the league. We've not hit 70 since Fergie retired, never mind 80.

RedStarUnited

I think Martial scoring 25 goals would be stretching it slightly. He's always been around the 10-15 league goals mark, so he'd have to score twice as many to get to 25.

I posted in another thread that we do lack a striker who would score those 25 goals solid in the league. If we get that, then 80+ goals will be achievable imo. Even with Sancho, the current team can get to 70-75 max - its those 10 extra goals which we would be missing imo.
People keep saying this but We have never had a functional attack like we do now. With Bruno and Pogba in the team, we should get to 80 goals.

Skills

Snitch

How many strikers in the premier league have scored 25 league goals without taking penalties?

RiqCantona

How many strikers in the premier league have scored 25 league goals without taking penalties?
Not many. Notable ones are Aguero, Aubameyang, Vardy, and Kane. All 4 take penalties, and average 17-20 goals without penalties. But here is my counter logic:
1. Martial isn't that good a penalty taker. If you remember, he had penalty responsibilities during that one season and he ended up missing more than he scored.
2. If you account for the penalties scored (say an average of 6 penalties all season), it would still mean that he would reach 20 to maybe 25 goals max with his current scoring form. However, that would also mean that Bruno and Rashford would have 6 less goals taking their overall tally down to 25 (the original post had them at 35 in total).

This would still leave us a few short from 80. Unless Rashford, Martial, Greenwood along with maybe Sancho can increase that scoring rate considerably - we would still have a short fall of those 5-10 goals whichever way you look at it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Typically those types of strikers take away from others around them. They hit high numbers but their teammates are lower. I’d rather avoid a target man and have a fluid front three all capable of 15-20 league goals. 15-20 from Bruno/Pogba and the rest from individuals.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we can keep this level we've been at consistently next year then we can do anything.

The team has always had a good high level, but playing the likes minnows of the league is what we've come stuck against in the past.

Now we look a lot better in breaking teams down and are starting to form an Aura again, I don't see why we can't score even more next year.

Mr Smith

Muppet mode on!

Muppet mode is nice, but you're expecting all 3 of our attackers toi hit a career best there, which I feel is a stretch. I would be knocking off 5-10 goals from your total; 5 from Martial, and 2-3 from both Rashford and Bruno. That puts us closer to 70 than 80, which I think is more realistic.

Sorry for being a buzzkill :nervous:

Ishpan2

Hopefully.

For all the talk of our defense and midfield post SAF, the misfiring attack is the main reason why we've failed to mount to a title challenge.

Our highest goal tally was 68 in the league. We've not hit 70 since Fergie retired, never mind 80.
Personally, I think the reason we couldn't score was that the attackers were forced to defend to cover our awful defense and midfield. They also got no service from the midfield. Remember, there was a point where our defensive players were Young, Jones, Smalling, Valencia, and Fellaini.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need consistent creativity. At the moment Bruno and Pogba and providing it but I think the rest of the midfield options/fullbacks/other signings we make need to step up and ensure that we are a creative football team in general and not limited to this duo.

Kag

Hopefully.

Indeed. Some of us have been wittering on about this for years on this forum. Years of negative football straight out of the Stone Age, as well as some unsuccessful transfers, has contributed to our inability to score goals in line with our rivals. Hopefully this is about to change.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully.

Indeed. It's been the biggest problem for ages. However, I'd add that attack does not simply mean your front three. It's also about CMs who can pass in between the lines, bomb forward etc and fullbacks who can be a threat our wide. Our attack has been or Achilles heel without a doubt but as a collective.

We don't need 80. We got exactly 80 in 2008 with 57 coming from Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez. Arguably the best season any team has ever seen in the PL, and we only just got there with 6 goals in the last 2 games. The other contender, 1999, also saw exactly 80 goals.

Looking back at the SAF years, it was not the number of goals scored or conceded that won us titles. Some of our best years were low scoring, some of our worst were high scoring. Even goal difference is not that closely tied. It was scraping the wins when most needed that made us successful.

Withnail

I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

The problem with Martial was never really his goal output. It was a lack of minutes either through injury or not being first choice.

He hasn't yet played a proper full season for us. The most minutes he's gotten in any season so far was his first one with 2632 mins.

Most of the time he's been here he's only played about half a season minutes-wise.

Over the past few seasons he's scoring at a rate of .5 to .6 goals per game and he's becoming more clinical.
Season - - - - - - Goals Per 90
2019/2020- - - - - - - 0.62
2018/2019- - - - - - - 0.56
2017/2018- - - - - - - 0.52
2016/2017- - - - - - - 0.23
2015/2016- - - - - - - 0.38

Obviously, you wouldn't expect him to play every minute but if he played the equivalent of 30 - 33 games, his scoring rate this season would give him in the region of 18 - 20 goals.

Barring a major injury, as the team are now creating more chances and you'd expect him to continue to improve that could see him in the 20 - 25 bracket.

CM

I think we can if key players stay fit and/or we make the right signings. We've scored 11 in our last 3 league games, the last time I can remember us scoring with that frequency (aside from Ole's first few games) was probably the beginning of the 17/18 season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We don't need one player to score 25 league goals if we can have 5 players scoring 15 league goals each. That's basically 75 league goals in total from 5 players. I'm saying this because we might see Rashford & Martial having a week or two weeks off but we will have Bruno and the others step in to score.

Pogba, centre back, James & the other midfielders scored 10 league goals total. 85 league goals is possible.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yep, we need to push on to averaging 2 goals per game. We have the firepower and quality to do it. Drive the goals conceded below 40 consistently too and thats the next level for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Muppet mode is nice, but you're expecting all 3 of our attackers toi hit a career best there, which I feel is a stretch. I would be knocking off 5-10 goals from your total; 5 from Martial, and 2-3 from both Rashford and Bruno. That puts us closer to 70 than 80, which I think is more realistic.

Sorry for being a buzzkill :nervous:
Why wouldn’t anyone expect a front 3 all under 25 to be hitting career bests? It is actually a logical expectation. The whole point of buying young talented players is the expectation of them to get better. If our 22, 24 and 18 year olds started going backwards at this stage it would be a huge worry.

Shiva87

Absent injury, 80 goals next season is very achievable. But that is never going to be the case. We always seem to get 2-3 key injuries every season.

Need a quality Bruno back up, and Sancho. If both come, then I would say it's on.

Unfortunately, our lack of squad depth is our biggest issue.

ghagua

We need our fullbacks to contribute more towards creating chances and scoring. We are getting minimal out of them now as far as scoring or creating. We need more than Pogba and Bruno creating chances.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think it would be more impressive to win the league with 40 goals.

Think about it... it really would be.

EwanI Ted

I would say the realistic maximum for this squad would be something like below

Martial - 20
Rashford - 15
Greenwood - 10
Sancho/new RW - 10
Fernandes - 10
Pogba - 10
McTominay + Matic + Fred - 5
James + Pereira + Lingard + Mata + whoever else is on the bench - 5
Defence + OGs - 5

The key thing is that while it supposes that the team has a really good season, there's no one player who would struggle to reach that number if we do. Maybe Greenwood would be set back a bit by bringing in Sancho. Maybe we dont get Sancho and whoever we bring in doesn't score as many as he could. Maybe Fernandes and Pogba struggle to get 10 each since they take chances of the other. There's lots of reasons why you can't just add up those numbers and assume that we reach 90 goals, even in a good season.

But 70 is certainly achievable, and if the team plays well, the squad has 80+ in them for sure.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We’re Manchester United. I say we should be cursing ourselves if we don’t get near 100 goals a season. Any season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In 93/94 Milan won the league scoring 36 goals in 34 games and conceding 15.
Feck really? I feel like I should have known that already... but see, that's bloody impressive

They never scored more then 3 goals in a league game that season, proving once and for all that "goals" are overrated.

In 93/94 Milan won the league scoring 36 goals in 34 games and conceding 15.
Van Basten was out for most of the season and they adjusted their style accordingly. You'll probably never see such a good defence, almost certainly the best ever assembled, paired with such a weak attack again.

Mr Smith

Why wouldn’t anyone expect a front 3 all under 25 to be hitting career bests? It is actually a logical expectation. The whole point of buying young talented players is the expectation of them to get better. If our 22, 24 and 18 year olds started going backwards at this stage it would be a huge worry.
The fact that they're 22, 24, and 18 means they're still short of their prime, and are still likely to go through bad spells of form or have goal droughts. Being up and down is normal for younger players.

ostentatious

Not many. Notable ones are Aguero, Aubameyang, Vardy, and Kane. All 4 take penalties, and average 17-20 goals without penalties. But here is my counter logic:
1. Martial isn't that good a penalty taker. If you remember, he had penalty responsibilities during that one season and he ended up missing more than he scored.
2. If you account for the penalties scored (say an average of 6 penalties all season), it would still mean that he would reach 20 to maybe 25 goals max with his current scoring form. However, that would also mean that Bruno and Rashford would have 6 less goals taking their overall tally down to 25 (the original post had them at 35 in total).

This would still leave us a few short from 80. Unless Rashford, Martial, Greenwood along with maybe Sancho can increase that scoring rate considerably - we would still have a short fall of those 5-10 goals whichever way you look at it.
Auba and Vardy have not scored 25 PL goals in a season yet.

Skills

Snitch

So I don't really understand this paradox here.

Do we lack a striker who scores 25 goals from open play (something that neither Harry Kane nor Aguero have ever done)? How can we be missing something that the two best strikers in the league have never done?

Personally I think, I would back Martial to score about 17-18 from open play this season and 20-21 next season (full season in a functional attack). That would put his goals in-line with the better scorers in the league from open play. Then it's whether the other guys in the attack (and the team for that matter) are stepping up.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not with that attitude we aren't!

Revan

Assumptionman
I think it would be more impressive to win the league with 40 goals.

Think about it... it really would be.
Milano once won Serie A with 36 goals scored. They were 10th in goals scored (on a league with 18 teams).

Edit: Oh feck, someone said this already.