Music 90’s music was the best

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sitting in our backyard right now listening to a cover band performing in the neighborhood park.

All the music is 90’s rock/grunge/alternative. Add that to R&B and rap of the era and nothing beats it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think there's an argument that the 90s in general was quite fun.
Agreed

I feel spoiled having done HS/College then. Especially being In LA and heading down to the Whiskey/Roxy/Troubadour on Sunset for live music.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I used to laugh at my friends dads for holding onto the 50s and 60s. It seems now though that we fellow people of age have all become like them holding onto a long gone decade. :(
except we are right.

TheReligion

Abusive
Agreed

I feel spoiled having done HS/College then. Especially being In LA and heading down to the Whiskey/Roxy/Troubadour.
You lucky individual!

Do you think we just look back on these things with rose tinted specs though and envisage it as better than it really was?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You lucky individual!

Do you think we just look back on these things with rose tinted specs though and envisage it as better than it really was?
I know.:D My friend was the school newspaper music editor, so she got us in free to most concerts on the strip.

I mean I guess it could be rose tinted glasses, but the music was just so good, and different. Are there any bands now as good as nirvana/Pearl Jam/Green Day? Hell, anyone as good as Blink or Smashing Pumpkins? I think rap evolved in the 2000’s, and R&B as well, but the 90’s was the apex of rock.

AkaAkuma

I know.:D My friend was the school newspaper music editor, so she got us in free to most concerts on the strip.

I mean I guess it could be rose tinted glasses, but the music was just so good, and different. Are there any bands now as good as nirvana/Pearl Jam/Green Day? Hell, anyone as good as Blink or Smashing Pumpkins? I think rap evolved in the 2000’s, and R&B as well, but the 90’s was the apex of rock.
Forgetting Rage, RATM

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
90s music culture had great energy, for sure. It coincided with the rise of MTV, etc making it a great time for the emergence of different musical sub-cultures.

Though this is probably true of most eras prior to whatever today is.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I have to disagree! To me, the 90s are well below the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 00s. They're good for punk and hip-hop, but really not rock in general as far as I'm concerned. It probably doesn't help that I can't stand most grunge (apart from a few hits; but no Pearl Jam please), and would like to be kept as far away as possible from bands like Smashing Pumpkins.

And yes, my teens were in the 90s. (Although with rather different music.)

Sorry!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I have to disagree! To me, the 90s are well below the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 00s. They're good for punk and hip-hop, but really not rock in general as far as I'm concerned. It probably doesn't help that I can't stand most grunge (apart from a few hits; but no Pearl Jam please), and would like to be kept as far away as possible from bands like Smashing Pumpkins.

And yes, my teens were in the 90s. (Although with rather different music.)

Sorry!
No need to apologize! You’re wrong, but still no need :D .

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No need to apologize! You’re wrong, but still no need :D .
Well, I did feel I needed to apologize for raining on your parade with the undeniable and unshakeable truth...

To be fair, it matters a lot where you grew up. I liked what was popular in the Netherlands at the time, but it's really a big joke to me now. You know, stuff you sing along for the badness of it, not because it's still great. In turn, I never warmed to most US rock from the 90s (you're listing only US bands up there); and in general there is relatively little US rock (from any era) in my collection. There some kind of commonality to it that doesn't work for me (punk excluded).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Any decade without Queen cannot be the best decade for music. Don't get me wrong the 90s was my youth for sure and the introduction of dance music was mind blowing. But for outright songs you have to be looking at 60s (Beatles, among others)/70s and 80s (mind blowing ballads).

Fingeredmouse

Any decade without Queen cannot be the best decade for music. Don't get me wrong the 90s was my youth for sure and the introduction of dance music was mind blowing. But for outright songs you have to be looking at 60s (Beatles, among others)/70s and 80s (mind blowing ballads).
Any decade with Queen active is at an automatic disadvantage which therefore includes the 90s.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Any decade with Queen active is at an automatic disadvantage which therefore includes the 90s.
Wayne’s world came out in 1992 and is the reason I own every queen album on CD and digital. That makes Queen an honorary 90s band

Fingeredmouse

Wayne’s world came out in 1992 and is the reason I own every queen album on CD and digital. That makes Queen an honorary 90s band
They released two, terrible, albums in the 90s. Only one post Mercury's death if I recall correctly.

Maxii

Paad
When I was a kid in the 90’s the music from previous decades was a world away from the music in the 90’s. From the late 90’s or maybe early 00’s to now there hasn’t been that much change

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not sure how you're figuring that, cause Innuendo came out in 1991 and Made in Heaven in 1995. The latter is actually very good, too (sorry @Fingeredmouse, have to disagree on that), and while Innuendo is uneven, there are a couple of amazing songs on that one as well. (Like the title track, The Show Must Go On, or I'm Going Slightly Mad.)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not sure how you're figuring that, cause Innuendo came out in 1991 and Made in Heaven in 1995. The latter is actually very good, too (sorry @Fingeredmouse, have to disagree on that), and while Innuendo is uneven, there are a couple of amazing songs on that one as well. (Like the title track, The Show Must Go On, or I'm Going Slightly Mad.)
Fantastic, so we are all in agreement now. 90's wins!

Moby

Dick
Most of the great stuff in the 90s either originated or was completely influenced by stuff in 70s and 80s. Especially the 80s. You can't talk about the 90s hip hop without talking about the Disco/Soul/Groove scene of the 80s which literally is the bedrock of the entire genre of hip hop to this day.

Some of the greatest hits from Biggie and Pac all have exact samples from those songs in the 80s. And that sound is what made those artists stand out in addition to their own obvious talent. Best part about Biggie's Big Poppa is the sample copy pasted from Between The Sheets by The Isley Brothers. Or Mo Money Mo Problems and Im Coming Out by Diana Ross.

Hence for me 80s and 90s are always considered together and a continuation in most forms of culture. Artists like Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, EWF etc defined the entire hip hop genre.

Pickle85

Most of the great stuff in the 90s either originated or was completely influenced by stuff in 70s and 80s. Especially the 80s. You can't talk about the 90s hip hop without talking about the Disco/Soul/Groove scene of the 80s which literally is the bedrock of the entire genre of hip hop to this day.

Some of the greatest hits from Biggie and Pac all have exact samples from those songs in the 80s. And that sound is what made those artists stand out in addition to their own obvious talent. Best part about Biggie's Big Poppa is the sample copy pasted from Between The Sheets by The Isley Brothers. Or Mo Money Mo Problems and Im Coming Out by Diana Ross.

Hence for me 80s and 90s are always considered together and a continuation in most forms of culture. Artists like Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, EWF etc defined the entire hip hop genre.
Have you seen that Netflix documentary? Hip Hop Odyssey or something (I forget the exact title). There are some pretty major omissions but I found it fascinating.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I want to be clear that in no way am I party to a decision that the release of Queen albums in a decade makes it the best for music.
Fantastic, so we are all in agreement now. 90's wins!
I'm afraid I have to be with @Fingeredmouse on this one. Anyway, if you want to talk great 90s rock, I'd rather mention early 90s Depeche Mode (if it counts; edit: also The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers in this category; kinda rock-dance), Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Placebo (a little, anyway), and in the US Cake and The President's of the USA. Also Echolyn, Marillion, and Sting on the proggier side, and outside the anglophone world Groovy Aardvark deserves special mention (Francophones from Quebec - I think you'd like them, @WI_Red).
Hip-hop Evolution... Sorry. There are a few series each looking at a particular 'scene'. I got ill and binged them in a day.
Yeah, it's a great documentary. It leaves out stuff through the way it hops through regional hiphop scenes, but it's very insightful I thought.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Have you listened to the band Malajube?
Yeah, they're great - especially Trompe l'oeil and Labyrinthes. Completely different from Groovy and not from the 90s though. ;) The first album from Les Colocs is an absolutely fantastic bit of 90s music - it basically sounds like a best of!

There's a ton of awesome Quebec music (outside the better-known stuff in English), so much still to discover there for me. :)

Last edited: