Music 90’s music was the best

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, they're great - especially Trompe l'oeil and Labyrinthes. Completely different from Groovy and not from the 90s though. ;) The first album from Les Colocs is an absolutely fantastic bit of 90s music - it basically sounds like a best of!

There's a ton of awesome Quebec music (outside the better-known stuff in English), so much still to discover there for me. :)
Yeah I have those albums. Really great stuff. I figured this was the best thread to ask since you mentioned the Quebec scene.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah I have those albums. Really great stuff. I figured this was the best thread to ask since you mentioned the Quebec scene.
I don't mind, I anyway don't agree with the thread's premise. ;)

I wasn't a big fan of La caverne; it's just all pretty forgettable it seems. Do you know Le compte complète at all?

We listen to a lot of Franco-Canadian music over here actually. Les Cowboys Fringants is definitely one of our favorite bands, but as I said, there's a lot of good stuff. Something I should explore more!

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
I think there's an argument that the 90s in general was quite fun.
Yea, life in the 90s simply felt better, didn't it? It was a lot more free, everything felt easier and I had almost no concerns about the future. 9/11 marked the turning point to me.

90s music is still my favorite to party. Most of modern music simply does not interest me, I feel disconnected but with some 90s nostalgia songs - man the connection is strong! In Germany we had (maybe have?) the magazine bravo publishing the "bravo hits" every year. It was basically 40 songs of all the hits/charts in one calendar year. They're well sorted in my basement and everytime we party, those work the best.

Are we bitter cnuts? I guess so.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We have neighbours. 3 lads in a house share. 26-32ish.

All they listen to is 90’s music. But all the shit bits in a row. Freed from Desire. Push the Feeling on. Fantasy. Mr Vain. All acceptable on a varied list but maddening together with 20 of their mates.

Why? it’s such a great era. One that they missed. Has Kisstory ruined a generation? Who the feck plays Freestyler at 4pm on a Sunday.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04

All they listen to is 90’s music. But all the shit bits in a row. Freed from Desire. Push the Feeling on. Fantasy. Mr Vain. All acceptable on a varied list but maddening together with 20 of their mates.

Why? it’s such a great era. One that they missed. Has Kisstory ruined a generation? Who the feck plays Freestyler at 4pm on a Sunday.
what do you mean by that? I'm 31 myself and I know all the 90s hits, they were played everywhere, not only on parties for the now 35+ ones. I didn't miss that era, why would they being 26-32ish?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Yea, life in the 90s simply felt better, didn't it? It was a lot more free, everything felt easier and I had almost no concerns about the future. 9/11 marked the turning point to me.

90s music is still my favorite to party. Most of modern music simply does not interest me, I feel disconnected but with some 90s nostalgia songs - man the connection is strong! In Germany we had (maybe have?) the magazine bravo publishing the "bravo hits" every year. It was basically 40 songs of all the hits/charts in one calendar year. They're well sorted in my basement and everytime we party, those work the best.

Are we bitter cnuts? I guess so.
The British equivalent is Now That's What I Call Music!, and I totally agree with the bolded. I began studying the world from an entirely new perspective after that day.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
The British equivalent is Now That's What I Call Music!, and I totally agree with the bolded. I began studying the world from an entirely new perspective after that day.
yes, I totally understand what you mean. Never before did it even cross my (back then 11 year old mind) that I could be in danger on an airplane. That I wouldn't be able to smalltalk with the pilots in the cockpit and joke around a little bit. And to feel fear creeping up on almost every aspect of society for the next year, 9/11 and related issues really dominated life. The "war on terrorism", the war in Iraq and all those unjustifiable aggressions made by the US. I grew up in a very open minded and progressive houshould (migrational background) and not once in my childhood/early youth would I have thought I'd look more skeptical at people with darker skin in the airport/on an airplane. But I did, that kind of fear reached me after 9/11. I remember visiting a good friend of my father in LA when I was 12. It was my first big trip alone on a flight as an unaccompanied minor and travelling alone felt kind of crazy already to me, but when I saw a person with a turban pray in the airplane, I was genuinely frightened. Obviously stupid shit, but that's how fear works most of the time; not often do we have actual/logical reason to be frightened.

The whole outlook on this world changed, I had to start thinking in a completely different way and it wasn't easy from a child's view to understand the media, politics and the likes all at once after such a huge incident and to actually be able to filter properly was even harder. Media said that, parents this, school something in between or completely different. I think the domino effect 9/11 had is still underrated, judging by the longterm. Only after 20 years the military is pulling back out of Aghanistan and boy did they all do a shit job and caused the destabilization of the whole region.

Flying high

My 90s life completely revolved around clubbing/parties/raves/festivals and the various flavours of dance music. It really was a fantastic time.

But it does mildly annoy me that the rubbish dance music in the charts at the time is what seems to have stuck.

UnrelatedPsuedo

My 90s life completely revolved around clubbing/parties/raves/festivals and the various flavours of dance music. It really was a fantastic time.

But it does mildly annoy me that the rubbish dance music in the charts at the time is what seems to have stuck.
Same as me. The scene has been retained by those who were there.

The cartoon pastiche of that era is what is carried forward by those that were not.

Flying high

Same as me. The scene has been retained by those who were there.

The cartoon pastiche of that era is what is carried forward by those that were not.
For me, clubbing started to die when the DJ was moved away from his dark corner, onto a bright stage.

I was gone before the wide availability of camera phones, but my dancing and facial expressions would certainly not have stood up to any scrutiny the next day.

UnrelatedPsuedo

For me, clubbing started to die when the DJ was moved away from his dark corner, onto a bright stage.

I was gone before the wide availability of camera phones, but my dancing and facial expressions would certainly not have stood up to any scrutiny the next day.
Oh dude. Many a bullet dodged. We are the Golden Generation.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Great friends, good drugs and awesome music at a time where I had zero responsibility.

Whether 90’s music itself was the best is arguable. For me it probably was but that’s because I like dance music and the early dance stuff was awesome, Orbital, Eat Static, Underworld, Future Sound of London and Aphex Twin to name only a few of my favourites.

There was something about the early 90’s though, something happened in those post Thatcher years and if you were in between 18 and 25 at that time then there really did seem to be a hedonistic atmosphere. I’m glad I made the most of it and made it out the other side with some great memories. I still look fondly back at those times now I’m a boring old fart.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If there was one sentence to describe the happiest period in most people's lives this would be it. Certainly was in mine. :(
Yeah, luckily they are still my best friends, we had between 1990 and 2003 before we sort of splintered off with women and long term relationships. We had a great run and whenever we get together we just reminisce and laugh at stuff we got up to. We grew up in a very quiet rural area so had lots of freedom to experiment with al sorts of stuff and there were a lot of illegal raves within walking distance.

Flying high

Great friends, good drugs and awesome music at a time where I had zero responsibility.

Whether 90’s music itself was the best is arguable. For me it probably was but that’s because I like dance music and the early dance stuff was awesome, Orbital, Eat Static, Underworld, Future Sound of London and Aphex Twin to name only a few of my favourites.

There was something about the early 90’s though, something happened in those post Thatcher years and if you were in between 18 and 25 at that time then there really did seem to be a hedonistic atmosphere. I’m glad I made the most of it and made it out the other side with some great memories. I still look fondly back at those times now I’m a boring old fart.
I'd forgotten about them, thanks!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't mind, I anyway don't agree with the thread's premise. ;)

I wasn't a big fan of La caverne; it's just all pretty forgettable it seems. Do you know Le compte complète at all?

We listen to a lot of Franco-Canadian music over here actually. Les Cowboys Fringants is definitely one of our favorite bands, but as I said, there's a lot of good stuff. Something I should explore more!
I don't know enough French. Somehow I can get by with those two Malajube records.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't know enough French. Somehow I can get by with those two Malajube records.
Ah well, lyrics... They're actually kinda secondary to me. I have good French, but I generally have no idea what Groovy Aardvark's songs are about. Similar for Malajube, who anyway enjoy labyrinthine lyrics. (I like the line 'Montréal, t'es tellement froid, un ous polaire dans l'autobus' though!)

But yeah, it helps for other bands. Like Beau Dommage, Les Colocs, Cowboys Fringants,.or funny acts like Damien Robitaille, Blue Jeans Blue, or Mononc' Serge - they're largely about their lyrics. (Although it's also not too bad not to get the lyrics to a depressing song like L'Amérique pleure!) But that's all softer music.

Red Stone

Alice in Chains is one of the greatest bands of all time. All of their albums and EPs with Staley are incredible, and Dirt is probably the best album of the entire 90s. They've been good with William DuVall as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just saw this article. 1991 was a bit ridiculous for new album releases. Around 10 of these are still considered classics now.

BBC - 19 albums that define 1991
My Freshman year of High School and I vividly remember Nevermind and Ten's launch. What a year.

Also, how did the BBC miss Achtung Baby and Blood Sugar Sex Magik????

Also, special shout out to Badmotorfinger. I love Soundgarden, but maybe not big enough for the list.

lsd

The Oracle
I've always wondered just what it would be like to be a teenager in the 50s and suddenly Elvis takes off.

Compared to what went before him and everything happening at that time people still getting over the war, segregation etc it must have been earth shattering seeing this guy belting out songs performing the way he did.

I know there were black artists out prior to him doing similar things but for the majority of white people not aware of that it must have been like what is this thing?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Beavis & Butthead making fun of cheesy music vids, Playstation being introduced, solid sequels to Terminator, Predator & Robocop, Megadeth destroying Metallica with Rust in Peace & Countdown to Extinction albums, some of the best rap music ever, huge development of computer demoscene on PC, Amiga, Atari & C64, Boris Jelcyn drunk as a sailor and Bill Clinton laughing his arse off.

Can't complain as the list goes way longer than this.

Bertie Wooster

My teen years were in the 90's and, yep, it's the decade I most love and pretty much still 'live in'.

My favourite music groups are still Counting Crows, Matchbox Twenty, and a few Britpop bands. My favourite sitcoms are still Seinfeld and Frasier (followed by many UK ones from the 70's to the 90's).

On a recent thread about what year you would return to if you could, I chose 1996 - pretty much for the above reasons: the great music and Seinfeld and Frasier still going strong.

I can appreciate plenty of great music from decades before the 90's, especially the 1960's, but for depth and quality of guitar bands producing the type of music I love then the 90's does it for me.