90 Min: Ralf Rangnick's damning assessment of Maguire, Shaw & Wan-Bissaka

Bondi77

They're both better than Maguire in a compact high block. That still doesn't mean they're good enough, though. But players like Lindelof and Bailly are not the yard stick we should judge our £80m CB on.
I know buddy!
All I am saying is that post is made up as Shaw was arguably the best LB in the Premier League last season.
If these Muppets want to post random comments then they can do so but to say Ralf said it is pretty poor IMO.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I know buddy!
All I am saying is that post is made up as Shaw was arguably the best LB in the Premier League last season.
If these Muppets want to post random comments then they can do so but to say Ralf said it is pretty poor IMO.
I agree mate, the source is definitely questionable.

Greck

I know buddy!
Tbf the quotes aren't as worrying as that video where Ralf said he wasn't convinced by him. I'm assuming the audio wasn't doctored but the Shaw part might ironically be the least conflicting part of the report on Ralf's opinion of our squad. I like Shaw and want the next manager to use him but people need to not impose their opinions on managers if it turns out they don't rate a player whomever it might be.

I'm even shocked some think Maguire and AWB are guaranteed to fit into any manager's plans. It's like people never heard of fitting into a system.

redshaw

I doubt the article but for Shaw I do think Ralf is not convinced. Shaw was excellent last season and one of the few consistent players. He's been pretty awful for most of this season like the majority of his time here and seemed to take a transfer of Telles to waken him up. I'm skeptical about his motivation and fitness overall, with his size he can easily slide from having the agility to looking a bit heavier and sluggish.

Maguire is probably a flawed purchase. Naturally slow and cumbersome, he'll need to have his body and fitness really dialed in the whole time if he's to hang on here.

AWB is often a target for other teams to press due to his awful control. He looks nervous and uncomfortable on the touch line, I'd really work on his game in pressurized situations along the line in training. Both him and Dalot have potential, I can see why Dalot overall would be favoured. I wonder if AWB can be extra motivated to improve his all round game and fight for his place.

Last edited:

Bondi77

I've always been critical of Shaw. Because he should dominate games consistently.

Mainly because he is ridiculously talented. He's big, fast, has top notch first touch, he can pass well and has good vision.

Those attributes are ridiculous. He showed last year and the Euros that he is (at times) world class.

But he fecks it all up with shite positioning, not blocking crosses and conceding cheap fouls. It's infuriating. He should also be crossing more as he has the ability.

He's a strange one. His first touch and short passing are probably the best at the club. His pace and power are up there too. Hopefully Telles's recent run gives him a kick up the arse.
Well people said the reason why Shaw improved was the sheer presence of Telles which I had to chuckle about but with that line of thinking now that Telles doesn't look too bad it won't be too long before we see a better Shawberto.

Suv666

Shaw has always been incredibly overrated. He's a decent player but nowhere near the quality of City and Lpool fullbacks.

lee82gx

perhaps Ralf can only say what he sees from his recent view as a manager of a few weeks. Last few season’s Shaw might’ve been outstanding but even as a long time fan I’m not entirely convinced he is world class.

OleTheGreat

I don't know so much about Shaw but he's right about Maguire and Wan Bissaka. We were all happy about Wan Bissaka's defensive aspects for 2 seasons but he simply hasn't improved in the offensive side. His crosses are aimless and he has no finesse about him. No inter-passing ability, no one touch and move into dangerous areas, no stand up crosses plus he doesn't overlap as much as he should. Maguire was bought to dominate the headers, keep a calm head in defense, be a leader and send those long passes to either wings bypassing the midfield, he sucks at all of them. He cannot even lead the defense. Ralf should get rid of them before the next manager comes in. Varane needs a better partner than Maguire. I understand Ralf's stance on Shaw as well because his form fluctuates a lot. I'd be happy if we got rid of Maguire for anything higher than 50 mil pounds.

Tallis

Shaw has been poor this season. He has escaped criticism because he was very good least season and also had a great Euro. But he definitely has been one of the problems this season.

Jonty

Most games where Shaw and Maguire have played together this season the positions they take up are questionable. I did wonder of Shaw has been told to cover Maguire for pace. They play too close to each and normally this ends up with Maguire manhandling Shaw. AWB only has a great tackle in his locker and he can be taken out of the game any time a team targets him with a cross field ball from right to left.

crossy1686

career ending
Shaw has been poor this season. He has escaped criticism because he was very good least season and also had a great Euro. But he definitely has been one of the problems this season.
Exactly, he’s played well in patches but he’s never been convincing for long enough for everyone to be convinced, and he’s better going forward then he is defensively. If anyones ever been to a game and watched Shaw play, you’ll see his indecisiveness cost him multiple times a game. Also, has he ever played well when Maguires not alongside him and in his ear? I don’t think it’s any coincidence that they’ve both fell out of form at exactly the same time.

You can’t build your defence around these blokes, they’re backup players at a team like United, not starters. There’s no need to sell them but they need to get used to the bench or think about playing somewhere else.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The problem with Shaw isn't his ability it's his fitness levels.

He's knackered by the last 20 minutes of every game, and most top teams are a lot more physically demanding of their fullbacks than we are.

Even Ole pretty openly said the way to get the best out of Shaw was by not having to play him every game. If that's someone like pep or Klopp that means you either get fitter or find another club so I wouldn't exactly be shocked if Rangnick took a similar stance and I think it's actually what we need. Standards that apply to every player.

It's not that I don't rate Shaw either but he clearly isn't as fit as last season and that's not a good indicator of an elite level player.

Exactly the same applies to Maguire. He takes an age to get match fit and by the end of the more demanding games he can barely run, and now we have a manager who'll be expecting him to be more mobile and proactive.

Again when you look at someone like Klopp or even Sir Alex, they'll work with and make something out of an average player if that player has the right work rate, fitness and mentality. What they seldom if ever do is feck about with players who can't cope with the physical demands.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Most games where Shaw and Maguire have played together this season the positions they take up are questionable. I did wonder of Shaw has been told to cover Maguire for pace. They play too close to each and normally this ends up with Maguire manhandling Shaw. AWB only has a great tackle in his locker and he can be taken out of the game any time a team targets him with a cross field ball from right to left.
Normally?
You mean that ONE time v Tottenham :lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Rangnick must have had a word with Maguire at half time because he retained the ball better in the second half. He wasnt terrible in the first half, but kept just heading and kicking the ball away needlessly.

Bwuk

It’s very frustrating to see what a talent Dalot is, and we just ignored him for AWB for years.

Greck

It’s very frustrating to see what a talent Dalot is, and we just ignored him for AWB for years.
I don't even care about Dalot, I'm just annoyed we finally got rid of Lukaku and brought a player with a fraction of his technical ability into the first team. Their fees were even closer than it should have ever been. Is AWB even a better footballer than Smalling? Our midfield and defensive recruitments the last 3 years is why we suck in possession. Attack is alright.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't even care about Dalot, I'm just annoyed we finally got rid of Lukaku and brought a player with a fraction of his technical ability into the first team. Their fees were even closer than it should have ever been. Is AWB even a better footballer than Smalling? Our midfield and defensive recruitments the last 3 years is why we suck in possession. Attack is alright.
We recruited 1 midfielder and aside from awb, the rest of our defenders we purchased are fine on the ball.

Greck

We recruited 1 midfielder and aside from awb, the rest of our defenders we purchased are fine on the ball.
Recruiting only 1 midfielder is a problem when said 1 midfielder cant even break into the first team. Is he supposed to improve us from the bench? Then there's AWB. So that's like saying "Asides nearly 100m worth of underperformers our recruitment is fine". One might even throw in Maguire who is a positional hazard when we push up so no our recruitment for possession football wasn't fine. It goes beyond being just okay on the ball in his case.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
No break after the Euros fcuked both him and Maguire. They’re both oddly in/consistent though. 3-6 month spins of looking world class, and 1-3 month periods of sluggish.
Even Rooney was like that though. Especially if he got an injury he was shite for a good 6-8 weeks after it and would often go through barren spells otherwise.

Lentwood

Why is this thread still open? It's obviously total nonsense, made-up by an irreputable source.

This what we're doing now, opening threads based on any old tweet or crap from the clickbait sites?

Bestietom

Think Maguire showed up better yesterday. Others also believe "you don't perform for me you don't play".
Please bring in at least 1 midfield player before deadline. An injury in this department will upset our chances of top 4.

lysglimt

Scout
Did you see him against Villareal ? Every time Dalot played before the last 3-4 weeks, he was horrible defensively

Bwuk

Did you see him against Villareal ? Every time Dalot played before the last 3-4 weeks, he was horrible defensively
He was never given a run in the team. How often did he get a run of starts?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Maguire is just too slow on the ball for a dominating team. AWB is pretty clumsy and really not that great position wise, but got the odd skill once in a while.
Both should not be starters for a team that dreams about winning the PL and CL again one day.

Daengophile

None of the real press has taken this forward so I can only assume that it is more lying BS from those who are not good enough to get a real job