A bigger legend?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not in my lifetime. Still love him.

Best ever player to play at United? Yes. Biggest legend no. George Best and Bobby charlton are bigger Legends too. Same with Giggs, Keane and Scholes.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
yes but Best is the best. I never saw him play but he literally dribbled through half a team while being drunk. Best United player ever.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Quality-wise he was a top player, but how can you forget the ugly and disrespectful way he pushed for the transfer to RM? Claiming he was a "slave"? That right there disqualified him from being a United legend. You cannot shit on a club and then be a legend of that club.

Hawks2008

Quality-wise he was a top player, but how can you forget the ugly and disrespectful way he pushed for the transfer to RM? Claiming he was a "slave"? That right there disqualified him from being a United legend. You cannot shit on a club and then be a legend of that club.
Absolutely, it kind of baffles me that a guy who (while being elite for us) left to give his best years to Madrid is more revered and fondly remembered than someone like Rooney who gave the club everything.

NewGlory

Absolutely, it kind of baffles me that a guy who (while being elite for us) left to give his best years to Madrid is more revered and fondly remembered than someone like Rooney who gave the club everything.
Ha! Yeah, I am certain Ronaldo himself doesn't consider himself a United legend. He's clearly a Real Madrid legend.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sir Bobby Charlton for me. Both as the biggest legend (player wise) and best ever player we've had.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think I worded the thread so well or perhaps I didn't realise everyone was going to go all serious and boring on me.

Watch the video. There's not a player in my time that's United the fanbase together in such a way and brought so much individual joy to the club over a period I can recall. The Old Trafford was absolutely buzzing and watching Ronnie live was a joy.

Judas

Open to offers
He didn't claim he was a slave though, I'm pretty certain that was Blatter.

NewGlory

He didn't claim he was a slave though, I'm pretty certain that was Blatter.
He said he agreed with Blatter on that comment:

I agree with what he said," said Ronaldo, when that last point was put to him. "It's true. I agree with what the president of Fifa said.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague1

Does this sound any better to you? I mean, he's free to do whatever, and he's controversial figure in many aspects anyway, but he is not a United legend. He is a Real Madrid legend and it seems pathetic from us to try to share him. Would be worse than Everton saying Rooney is their legend, considering Rooney never shitted on Everton.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
We’ve had plenty of bigger legends here during Ronaldo’s United career, IMO.
Best ever player to play at United? Yes. Biggest legend no. George Best and Bobby charlton are bigger Legends too. Same with Giggs, Keane and Scholes.
This turned very serious!

Just enjoy the vid and shush. Merry Christmas Caf.
I don't think I worded the thread so well or perhaps I didn't realise everyone was going to go all serious and boring on me.

Watch the video. There's not a player in my time that's United the fanbase together in such a way and brought so much individual joy to the club over a period I can recall. The Old Trafford was absolutely buzzing and watching Ronnie live was a joy.
Did you forget what you called the thread or something? They' were literally responding to your question.

Will Singh

Quality wise yes he was one of the best but I'd put Rooney above him in the legendary status simple because Rooney gave us all he's prime years while Ronaldo fecked off to RM disrespectfully...

ifightdragons

I agree with both the title of this thread, and its obvious intent to spread cheer and memories of better times.

Ronaldo is the most joyous player I've ever watched, both in and out of a United shirt. He was a legend ever since his debut, arguably even after the pre-season friendly against us-
Thank you!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Quality wise yes he was one of the best but I'd put Rooney above him in the legendary status simple because Rooney gave us all he's prime years while Ronaldo fecked off to RM disrespectfully...
Maybe if Rooney had dedicated himself to the game like Ronaldo did, and continues to do it wouldn't even be a debate, as he didn't ....

Revaulx

Alas no. A good mate of mine used to give him grief almost every game for being an overrated prima Donna show pony :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree with both the title of this thread, and its obvious intent to spread cheer and memories of better times.

Ronaldo is the most joyous player I've ever watched, both in and out of a United shirt. He was a legend ever since his debut, arguably even after the pre-season friendly against us-
Thank you!

Yessssss someone gets it! No problems mate. Merry Christmas.

Gehrman

Dribbled through many Miss Worlds, that’s good enough in my book
He was geniuenly witty as well. Compare him to most footballers when they open their mouthes and he comes across as a genius.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He was geniuenly witty as well. Compare him to most footballers when they open their mouthes and he comes across as a genius.
One of my favourites; after he had been hit on the head with a bottle by a thug in a pub, he was taken to hospital and told the nurse,” no need to check for brain damage, I’m Irish!”

Gehrman

One of my favourites; after he had been hit on the head with a bottle by a thug in a pub, he was taken to hospital and told the nurse,” no need to check for brain damage, I’m Irish!”

watch 3.36 :D

TsuWave

My goat :drool: Gave me some of my favorite football moments

Viva Ronaldo

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

watch 3.36 :D
The match at 3.52 was the biggest disappointment growing up. The European Cup semi v AC Milan.

2-0 down after the first leg, Best took them apart in the return.We scored that cracker from Sir Bobby and equalised from Law. The ball was a foot over the line but the ref didn't give it.
He admitted years later that it was, and he had basically taken a bribe. Milan went on to trash Ajax in the final, an Ajax team that was a couple of years away from being the great side. We'd have beaten them easily.

Cheated!

el3mel

Ronaldo gave us only 2 years of his absolute prime. Sure these 2 years were majestic, but we have other players who gave us as much effect and for a far longer time.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Loads of legends no need for arguments there, it’s all subjective. I was at Ronaldos debut and I knew then I’d just seen the future best player in the world. Shame he always wanted Madrid, I’m convinced he won’t ever be revered there like he is here. If he’d stayed here he would have a statue and we’d have more CLs. He was that good. Leagues above players who were considered better than him initially.

DoomSlayer

Loads of legends no need for arguments there, it’s all subjective. I was at Ronaldos debut and I knew then I’d just seen the future best player in the world. Shame he always wanted Madrid, I’m convinced he won’t ever be revered there like he is here. If he’d stayed here he would have a statue and we’d have more CLs. He was that good. Leagues above players who were considered better than him initially.
He is Real Madrid's best player of all time, what are you even saying?

lemmiwink

A thread about United legends and Alan Smith isn’t mentioned even once?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
90% of this is down to the media being a lot more sensationalist and accessible than it was in the past.

Rooney, Rio, Giggs, Keane, etc. all also dragged the club along for a ride at one point or another over either contracts, transfers or their ego. Paul Scholes once refused to play in a game he was picked for. Cantona got banned for assaulting fan and also randomly just fecked off.

Ronaldo after the world cup in 2006 was crucified by the English media and a lot of United fans, yet stuck around and helped (dragged in some instances) the club to three league titles, two champions league finals. Won world player of the year. He was here 6 years despite Real being his dream club. I think in hindsight we did well out of him really.

You can argue where he ranks in terms of legends since we've had a lot of great players and some who played here their whole career, but to argue he isn't one based on some transfer nonsense is a bit daft. Fergie's last great team was built around him. We won 6 major trophies in 3 years on the back of that.

You'll have people argue Rooney isn't really a legend either. I think we've been quite spoilt and ended up with a bit of a hostile attitude towards players over petty things, and in return it's mad ethem seem a bit distant. Rooney should love this club and I'm sure he does, but the attitude towards him kind of makes him come across now as an outsider who just turned up here for a little while

NewGlory

90% of this is down to the media being a lot more sensationalist and accessible than it was in the past.

Rooney, Rio, Giggs, Keane, etc. all also dragged the club along for a ride at one point or another over either contracts, transfers or their ego. Paul Scholes once refused to play in a game he was picked for. Cantona got banned for assaulting fan and also randomly just fecked off.

Ronaldo after the world cup in 2006 was crucified by the English media and a lot of United fans, yet stuck around and helped (dragged in some instances) the club to three league titles, two champions league finals. Won world player of the year. He was here 6 years despite Real being his dream club. I think in hindsight we did well out of him really.

You can argue where he ranks in terms of legends since we've had a lot of great players and some who played here their whole career, but to argue he isn't one based on some transfer nonsense is a bit daft. Fergie's last great team was built around him. We won 6 major trophies in 3 years on the back of that.

You'll have people argue Rooney isn't really a legend either. I think we've been quite spoilt and ended up with a bit of a hostile attitude towards players over petty things, and in return it's mad ethem seem a bit distant. Rooney should love this club and I'm sure he does, but the attitude towards him kind of makes him come across now as an outsider who just turned up here for a little while
You are missing the point, mate. Cristiano forced his way out of the club and spent his best years elsewhere. He is a legend, but he is a legend of Real Madrid. Cantona, Scholes, and Rooney despite their share of feck ups spent their best years at United. It's really simple. Nobody is saying Ronaldo is not one of the greatest players of all time, or he didn't make us better, but he is a RM legend and it would be pathetic for us to say "us too! us too!" We have enough of our own legit legends.