A Grealish for Sancho swap?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hell no. Grealish is suited to be the main man on the ball to get the best out of him. I don't see how that happens with Bruno/Ronaldo and even Rashford

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In theory it is correct. Grealish is more of an individual talent, Sancho a great cog in a well oiled machine (but carries some of the individual talent too). We obviously rely on individual qualities a lot, but this is something we need to get away from, and I suspect City are trying to mould Grealish into a more rounded team player that can utilise his individual talents in isolated areas of the pitch.

I'm absolutely happy that we got Sancho and know that we will see the best of him when/if we get a good manager to bring it all together. He'll probably improve under Ole even, but I don't think we'll see the very best of any of these players, or as a collective, under Ole.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Daniel James was a right footed LW/RW.

We replaced him with even a better version in Sancho - a right footed LW/RW.

I didn't rate Sancho highly before but now that he is here he just has to bide his time.

He isn't currently fitting in a formation but to be honest neither is Greenwood and Rashford when we play a two striker system.

Just wait until the manager changes and settle in with the rest of the young front 3.

Grealish is too left sided.

Deery

Dreary
Not impressed with Sancho at all if I’m honest but he needs time before we write him off completely, new league, new team, new system etc..

Just look at Kai Havertz at Chelsea he has had the same problems adjusting to PL but is getting better now in his second year, may take time with Jadon as well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sancho is just under a manager who doesn’t know how to fit him in properly. We don’t need super Jack’s heroball, we already have Fernandes for that.

GlasgowCeltic

Sancho needs to stop trying to play football and just shoot, it's the only way he'll get in under the current manager

Sviken

Hell no. Sancho under a good manager would tear it up. Graelish has the potential to be a great player, but never world class.

Moby

Dick
Both very good players who have not settled into new teams. At least with Sancho he hasn't gotten many minutes and United have a lot of other problems. Grealish has played most minutes in a very good City team but barely done anything specific. Foden in a couple of games did far more than Grealish has in 10. So for me he's the one that needs to be more worried. But eventually both should be fine.

tomaldinho1

Sancho is an absolute gem, we shouldn’t even be thinking of him leaving.

dal

I think he’ll start against city. They are both brilliant but I actually think Sancho suits us more than Grealish especially as we have Bruno, Ronaldo and Greenwood.

Jezpeza

I’ve started to question whether Solskjaer really wanted Sancho or it was the Glazers/Woody trying to make the fans happy. If he was a player we were gagging to sign for 2 years I dont see why he arrives and we dont play him. Its not even like we are slowly increasing his minutes and bedding him in - he just looks like someone who is a body in the squad for the odd cup game or sub appearance. Its so odd that we dont seem to have planned any sort of system to play that utilises him - and on the flip side, if he doesnt fit why did we sign him?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hell no. Grealish is suited to be the main man on the ball to get the best out of him. I don't see how that happens with Bruno/Ronaldo and even Rashford
Idk, he's doing pretty well at city, basically exactly the same he was at villa

United don't really need a left-sided playmaker though. Or city a right-sided one for that matter

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Idk, he's doing pretty well at city, basically exactly the same he was at villa

United don't really need a left-sided playmaker though. Or city a right-sided one for that matter
Have you really watched him that extensively ? He was Villa's system basically and at City, in many games he feels like the odd one out

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Saw the article earlier. Weird one. Grealish, as I suggested last season, probably still wouldn’t get in our team. Sancho is still what we need.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’ve started to question whether Solskjaer really wanted Sancho or it was the Glazers/Woody trying to make the fans happy. If he was a player we were gagging to sign for 2 years I dont see why he arrives and we dont play him. Its not even like we are slowly increasing his minutes and bedding him in - he just looks like someone who is a body in the squad for the odd cup game or sub appearance. Its so odd that we dont seem to have planned any sort of system to play that utilises him - and on the flip side, if he doesnt fit why did we sign him?
Sancho had played a lot until recently, but had zero productivity in those appearances, when everyone else (Ronaldo, Greenwood, Bruno, Rashford) did have. I have zero doubts that he has been one of Ole’s main targets for years.

What’s now kept him out of the side is the manager focussing on the short term results to keep himself in a job by selecting players he has greater certainty in currently.

It’s perfectly to understandable to want to buy a player, but also to leave them out of the side if they aren’t delivering. It this was another manager at another club, maybe it would be interpreted as good management to keep them out of the spotlight and take the pressure off. Because it is Ole, it is deemed incompetence.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Have you really watched him that extensively ? He was Villa's system basically and at City, in many games he feels like the odd one out
You're not wrong, he does feel a bit like the odd one out because he tends to stop the ball. He's still about as effective and productive as he was at Villa..

Gandalf

Solskjaer wanted him but the transfer business done in the last window has impacted his start at the club. I do believe that Ole primarily was looking to sign Sancho and Rice this summer but for a variety of reasons the Rice deal never got off the ground and no suitable alternative was signed either as Varane for a bargain fee was too good to pass up and then the Ronaldo deal came out of nowhere. I think Ole had it is his mind before the deals were made that his best eleven this season would be along the lines of;

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Rice

Fernandes Pogba

Sancho Rashford
Cavani
The failure to sign Rice or an actual CDM has left us unable to switch to a 3 in midfield and the opportunities for Sancho to play on the right were further limited by his being ill at the start of the season and the fast start made by Mason. The introduction of Ronaldo changed the balance up top as well because we have noticeably switched to putting in more crosses from wide positions as presumably we feel this is the service Ronaldo wants when clearly Sancho is someone who prefers to take people on in advanced positions and carry the ball into the box. In fact one of the reasons we wanted Sancho so much was his ability to beat a man with skill rather than pace which would be helpful playing against a low block.

Now of course we find ourselves struggling at the other end of the pitch because Maguire and to a lesser extent Shaw have been dire for most of this season and this has been compounded by the McFred axis not working. I am not a McFred fan but they did make us more solid at times last season but that has not been the case this time around and so now to cover up for our defensive frailties and the inability of our midfield to protect our back line we have switched to a 3 CB formation that does not include room for wingers/wide players which is laughable as that is where we are most stacked with talent.

Moving forward Sancho will come good. A new manager is probably in our future, not as soon as some would like but probably during this season and they will hopefully integrate Sancho into a system that fits his skills and the player himself will get better with more exposure to the differences between the PL and Bundesliga. If by some miracle we beat City and go on a tear through to January then Ole will stay but hopefully that will mean we finally jettison a few more pieces of deadwood in the next window and finally get a CDM who will allow us to play a more progressive brand of football.

Born2Lose

Surely we can chuck in Pogba too?

I hope I'm wrong but I've got the feeling with Sancho that his fanboys will still be making excuses about systems and positions in 3 years from now.

devips

Solskjaer wanted him but the transfer business done in the last window has impacted his start at the club. I do believe that Ole primarily was looking to sign Sancho and Rice this summer but for a variety of reasons the Rice deal never got off the ground and no suitable alternative was signed either as Varane for a bargain fee was too good to pass up and then the Ronaldo deal came out of nowhere. I think Ole had it is his mind before the deals were made that his best eleven this season would be along the lines of;

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Rice

Fernandes Pogba

Sancho Rashford
Cavani
The failure to sign Rice or an actual CDM has left us unable to switch to a 3 in midfield and the opportunities for Sancho to play on the right were further limited by his being ill at the start of the season and the fast start made by Mason. The introduction of Ronaldo changed the balance up top as well because we have noticeably switched to putting in more crosses from wide positions as presumably we feel this is the service Ronaldo wants when clearly Sancho is someone who prefers to take people on in advanced positions and carry the ball into the box. In fact one of the reasons we wanted Sancho so much was his ability to beat a man with skill rather than pace which would be helpful playing against a low block.

Now of course we find ourselves struggling at the other end of the pitch because Maguire and to a lesser extent Shaw have been dire for most of this season and this has been compounded by the McFred axis not working. I am not a McFred fan but they did make us more solid at times last season but that has not been the case this time around and so now to cover up for our defensive frailties and the inability of our midfield to protect our back line we have switched to a 3 CB formation that does not include room for wingers/wide players which is laughable as that is where we are most stacked with talent.

Moving forward Sancho will come good. A new manager is probably in our future, not as soon as some would like but probably during this season and they will hopefully integrate Sancho into a system that fits his skills and the player himself will get better with more exposure to the differences between the PL and Bundesliga. If by some miracle we beat City and go on a tear through to January then Ole will stay but hopefully that will mean we finally jettison a few more pieces of deadwood in the next window and finally get a CDM who will allow us to play a more progressive brand of football.
I also think this is the likely scenario about what happened and what is likely to happen.

saivet

If we didn't have Bruno and/or Rashford then I could see the argument.

Giggsy13

feck this thread and burn it to the ground. Would rather have Ole sacked then do this swap.

sparx99

I also think this is the likely scenario about what happened and what is likely to happen.
A lot of assumptions in this. I mean we’ve attempted to play 4-3-3 once this season in the first half against Villareal. It was swiftly abandoned.

If Ole was really trying or wanting then play any of Fred/McTominay or Matic as the DM and Sancho, Ronaldo and Rashford up top. If the DM is shown to be the weak link you’ve got an argument to go to the board and say we need a DM. You can’t make that argument if you never try it.

Also, even if Ronaldo was an opportunistic signing it makes even more sense to play a 3-man midfield for extra cover.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm delighted we got Sancho over Grealish, but yeah for Ole and Pep, they'd be better swapped. Team needs though what City still needs is a goalscorer/shooter/runner in behind off the ball, meanwhile what United needs is a new coach and a new midfield, so it wouldn't make much a difference in the end.