A Grealish for Sancho swap?

JimmyWils

Grealish hasn't performed anywhere near deserving of what City paid for him and definitely was not worth it.

At this point they both seem typical of the British signings that PL clubs are getting bent over a barrel to pay for.

KeanoMagicHat

Sancho has been underwhelming but he does have 5 years on Grealish and is still only 22, feels a lot older.

Yorke to Cole

No chance. I think if we had Erikson at present playing intricate passes, or a partnership between Casemiro and Sabitzer was formed, then Sancho would be producing slot more.

Sancho has come back in amidst a massive onslaught of fixtures and a team playing with injuries and suspensions.

It is disrupting our rhythm in terms of creating a settled side. Add to that some of the fixtures have been chaotic and high drama whilst on play. For example, the 2 legs against Barcelona, 10 men against Palace and then Southampton.

There does not seem to have been a match where it has been routine for a long while now. Perhaps, the second half against Leicester, but that is it.

nickyboy1981

I forgot Sancho was so young, he looks like he's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

redshaw

It was often said Grealish would be so right for us but I'm not sure on that idea. Rashford would be preferred on our left, or a Garnacho type, Grealish would probably slow us down. If Sancho suits City in a possession based system and Grealish doesn't quite work there then where else for him, is he best off what he was doing at a smaller club winning fouls and being the main man to carry the team at his own pace. Also if we move towards a possession based system Sancho will become more useful in theory? Grealish is a bit of an odd fit at either club in recent years but obviously he's a talented player and no doubt have his moments for either team.

If we're talking about being in Bruno's position, have we seen much of that?

Had we paid 100m for him do we move Rashford to the centre or righthand side. Even with Rashford's goals from the centre this season I think it's still unanimous he isn't the striker we've been looking for

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Because Grealish is a much better player.
Well that's simply not true is it. Look at the numbers Sancho was putting out at Dortmund.

Sancho has been going through a hard time recently, and also arrived under Ole last season, when the team was in disarray.

Not to mention Sancho is 22 and Grealish is 27.

Maureen-yo

Well that's simply not true is it. Look at the numbers Sancho was putting out at Dortmund.

Sancho has been going through a hard time recently, and also arrived under Ole last season, when the team was in disarray.

Not to mention Sancho is 22 and Grealish is 27.
I don’t think you can compare what Sancho was putting up at Dortmund with how Grealish performed and is starting to show again in the Premier League.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Even in his shite season and with less than double minutes Sancho has more goals, and scores/assists every 186 minutes against Grealish's 218 minutes. :lol: Not to mention how easier it is to score or assist for City too.

Sancho is pretty average but this pretty much says a lot about Grealish, and he is playing in his favourite position for City and we would easily prefer Rashford there.

For stat nerds, their chances creation is similar too, and Grealish makes just few passes per game more. I mean, it's pretty obvious just by watching him, but this just confirms how shit Grealish is. He literally does nothing except dwells on the ball and gets fouled a lot.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Even in his shite season and with less than double minutes Sancho has more goals, and scores/assists every 186 minutes against Grealish's 218 minutes. :lol: Not to mention how easier it is to score or assist for City too.

Sancho is pretty average but this pretty much says a lot about Grealish, and he is playing in his favourite position for City and we would easily prefer Rashford there.

For stat nerds, their chances creation is similar too, and Grealish makes just few passes per game more. I mean, it's pretty obvious just by watching him, but this just confirms how shit Grealish is. He literally does nothing except dwells on the ball and gets fouled a lot.
There are shit opinions and then there is yours. Also, funny you mention stat nerds as Grealish is regularly a top performer regarding advanced stats etc.

Abraxas

Grealish would have been theoretically good here, in the sense we would have pandered to his individualism that he was accustomed to at Villa. So it would have been easier for him to transition compared to the positional style at City.

But in practical terms it would have presented a huge problem because we'd be constantly going on about how to play him and Rashford in the same team. Grealish is always going to be better from the left so he can come inside. I don't think he's that flexible as a player. You can put him on the right or gamble him in attacking mid but I don't think it'd be very good.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No doubt about that.

(Could serve as a reminde for people writing of young players that Grealish played in the Championship at the age of 24.)
True, development isn't always linear, which is makes player comparisons, even when they're similar players in the same position not always fair. Rashford is a good example of what can happen when you keep faith with a clearly talented young player who is going through a tough period. Sancho will come good under Ten Hag's coaching, I'm certain of it. You just have to forget about his price tag and give him the time he needs.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Grealish has been very good for City this season. Some will focus on the price tag but that's their problem.

I think Sancho has the potential still to be great for us. Let's see how it goes next season.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Sancho will come good i'm sure of it. Grealish is already very good. Great point about Grealish being in the Championship still at 24 too!

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sancho will come good i'm sure of it. Grealish is already very good. Great point about Grealish being in the Championship still at 24 too!
Come to think of it, it is actually the case for quite a few of the best players in the league.

- Bruno Fernandes had his first season at Sporting at the age of 24. Was not a success in Italy in Serie A.

- van Dijk was still at Celtic

- Mo Salah had done very little at a higher level than Switzerland (and even there his numbers where quite average)

- Kieran Trippier was still at Burnley and just manged to get his debut in the PL before turning 24

- Ivan Toney made his debut in the Championship at 24

El Jefe

I know its fun to laugh at Grealish but he's been looking pretty impressive lately. Sure he'll never be worth £100m paid for him but he's starting to prove his worth in the City side.

Sancho isn't ready for the PL, changing clubs within the PL will do little for him. The writing was on the wall with him failing to adapt to the England team. Southgate was blamed but looking back his performances for England were no different to his United ones.

CM

Because Grealish is a much better player.
I've been disappointed by Sancho's contribution at United so far but this isn't the case at all. Sancho is clearly a more talented player but plays in a team that isn't a natural fit for him and still favours individualism to some extent. That doesn't fully excuse Sancho because the onus is on him to make it work and he lacks intensity, but I'm certainly not looking on at Grealish in envy. I'm confident Sancho would be doing a better job than Grealish in that same City team.

Grealish has adapted to City's way of playing a bit quicker than Sancho has to ours this season, and that's a concern because Grealish himself took a long time to adapt. If Sancho and ten Hag aren't able to find a way to make it work for him here in the next 12 months, then it might be time to accept we have to cut our losses.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We would score 15 goals from set pieces if Grealish was playing for us. Shaw and Bruno love hitting a cross from places where Jack goes down. I still wouldn't take him but I think that would happen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yep.