A hint from Ole we might not sign a CB?

Camilo

We'll be a better team with Maguire. So lets buy him. What's 20 million? feck all if you actually want to be successful. Axel might well turn out great, who knows, but in the meantime why wouldn't we want the strongest team possible? Sell Rojo and Bailly, give Axel some good game time this season along with Jones, Smalling, Lindelof and Maguire, then sell the weakest of those 5 next summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We're asking for trouble if we don't sign a CB. I'm hoping he means the future as in 2/3 seasons time, I wouldn't want him in the starting 11 currently. Their partnership today highlighted the issues we've seen time and time again when pairing Lindelof with anyone but Smalling, the lack of ariel presence is too detrimental to the team.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Hopefully a Maguire, Tuanzebe partnership.
Reckon this would be brilliant as they compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses well.

Maguire very good in the air and in physical duels. Axel to use his speed and composure to sweep up in behind.

Both very calm on the ball.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Lindelof + Tuanzebe should be decent enough, until we can get another good CB at acceptable price. I mean we also have AWB on the right side, who is going to improve our defence massively anyway. No need to get desperate and rush.

jesperjaap

Can somebody tell me what the fuss or rating of Lindelof is by our fans? In my eyes he improved last season from utterly shite to extremely average? For me regardless of whether or not Tuanzabe is the future of our club, we still need to sign a top centre back.

As abysmal as he is on the ball, Smalling is probably still our best centre back and is for me a good squad player. Would quite happily sell all the others who have done nothing to justify the shirt at all.

There are quite a few centre backs I would far rather sign than Maguire, but saying that I would play him over any of our other centre backs for sure

hobbers

Lindelof + Tuanzebe should be decent enough, until we can get another good CB at acceptable price. I mean we also have AWB on the right side, who is going to improve our defence massively anyway. No need to get desperate and rush.
Decent enough for what though? Top eight maybe?

MalcolmTucker

Can somebody tell me what the fuss or rating of Lindelof is by our fans? In my eyes he improved last season from utterly shite to extremely average? For me regardless of whether or not Tuanzabe is the future of our club, we still need to sign a top centre back.

As abysmal as he is on the ball, Smalling is probably still our best centre back and is for me a good squad player. Would quite happily sell all the others who have done nothing to justify the shirt at all.

There are quite a few centre backs I would far rather sign than Maguire, but saying that I would play him over any of our other centre backs for sure
Lindelof was very solid last season and overall was our best all round centre back. Perhaps Smalling is a better pure defender but Lindelof isn't far behind and is much better on the ball. Playing Smalling pretty much limits the style of football we want to play so as good as he is aerially and in one on ones it's simply not worth it. A dependable deputy but not a centre back for a progressive team.

Who are these other centre backs you'd rather sign other than Maguire? Ones that are available?

Amarsdd

Ole: “Axel is the future of this club".

Perhaps we aren’t going to increase our offer for Maguire?

Thoughts on the Tuanzebe - Lindelof partnership?
Problem is, the quote is taken completely out of context. Ole was directly asked whether Axel is the future for this club or he has not made a decision about him. Of course, Ole will say he is the future of this club for that question. It doesn't mean we won't sign a cb for now.

Snafu17

It's by the numbers comment that pretty much every manager would give about a talented youngster. There's no hidden meaning.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
As long as people can accept smalling will still get a high number of games
Smalling would still get many games especially if Maguire is signed. We can't have a defensive central trio made up of Lindelof, Maguire and Matic. Its too slow.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We play two centre backs. I don’t know why people think Lindelof is such a guarantee for his place.
There seemed to be a huge swing from people thinking Lindelöf is utterly horrific, to now people seem to think he's the only one "good enough".

At best he's moved from absolute liability, to alright.
I'd still go Maguire and Smalling if we sign the former.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Ole: “Axel is the future of this club".

Perhaps we aren’t going to increase our offer for Maguire?

Thoughts on the Tuanzebe - Lindelof partnership?
As long as the other team agree not to send in any high balls, then maybe?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's by the numbers comment that pretty much every manager would give about a talented youngster. There's no hidden meaning.
Exactly.

Manager in "talks up" young player shocker!

Godfather

Good. Better than fecking about all that time for slob head. Impressive how inept our board is though if Ole wanted Maguire. On to the next target although I fear we might be done in the market.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can somebody tell me what the fuss or rating of Lindelof is by our fans? In my eyes he improved last season from utterly shite to extremely average?
I wonder too mate.

It seems to be a theme on here that Lindelöf is suddenly our only quality defender!

jesperjaap

Lindelof was very solid last season and overall was our best all round centre back. Perhaps Smalling is a better pure defender but Lindelof isn't far behind and is much better on the ball. Playing Smalling pretty much limits the style of football we want to play so as good as he is aerially and in one on ones it's simply not worth it. A dependable deputy but not a centre back for a progressive team.

Who are these other centre backs you'd rather sign other than Maguire? Ones that are available?
Smalling can defend, dont get me wrong no fan of him or anything and totally agree he limits a certain style of football, think that is actually puttin git nicely, but Lindelof not being far behind him, doesnt that say it all? Lindelof is decent on the ball, no more than that and a very average defender. Solid....is he, really? He isnt particularly quick, isnt good at tracking movement in the area both on the ground and when the ball is in the air, has a slow turn with balls round the corner. He is never going to be a top class defender. If he is so solid, why have we shipped so many goals, our defence was abysmal last year...obviously other factors including the midfield, but nothing you have written actually points at him being a good defender apart from being solid which and good on the ball, neither of which he actually is.

I dont know what centre backs are available. But Hermoso and Kabak have both moved got under £30m and are just as good, there is Upamecano and Konate at Leipzig who are both better defenders, Romagnoli, Koulibailly are centre backs I really like then the likes of Milenkovic and several others I have seen little of that seem highly rated. Dont get me wrong, I am all for signing Harry Maguire, be a good signing, I dont care about the fee....Im just arguing that people saying he is the only option is a ridiculous statement as there are loads of really good centre backs out there and even the stellar ones like ROmagnoli for £80m may be possible if that is the fee it would take for Maguire

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
State of Man Utd, can't find an alternative to Harry fecking Maguire so instead why not force a youngster Tuanzebe into a full PL season. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Red00012

I’d say get Maguire, Will he improve us ? Most definitely. It’s not my money so I don’t care about a few extra million. I’d rather it spent than going into the Glaziers pockets.

acnumber9

There seemed to be a huge swing from people thinking Lindelöf is utterly horrific, to now people seem to think he's the only one "good enough".

Because he’s not Smalling or Jones. Bailly got the same.

SteveW

Same.

RedDevil-85

We need a cb this window,its as simple as that.
Going into the season with what we have right now just isnt good enough,far from it.

reddev3

I love Tuanzebe I really do, I even watched a few Villa games last season just so I could watch him but he's also nothing special in the air which is the main thing we need. We have looked susceptible to crosses in pre season already and we only conceded from crosses in the first 5/6 games when Ole took over if I remember correctly. Maguire would take us up another level, Tuanzebe can still be the future as first choice back up.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He was responding to a question about does axel have a future at the club, to which he initially replied yes he does have a future at United before ending with he is the future so I’m guessing he means axel is a Manchester United center back of the future which isn’t much to draw anything from.

mu4c_20le

State of Man Utd, can't find an alternative to Harry fecking Maguire so instead why not force a youngster Tuanzebe into a full PL season. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:
You cant win anything with kids

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Unlike Mourinho last season, Ole is giving a much needed boost to a young players confidence. We shouldn't read too much into every word that comes out of the manager's mouth.

MalcolmTucker

Smalling can defend, dont get me wrong no fan of him or anything and totally agree he limits a certain style of football, think that is actually puttin git nicely, but Lindelof not being far behind him, doesnt that say it all? Lindelof is decent on the ball, no more than that and a very average defender. Solid....is he, really? He isnt particularly quick, isnt good at tracking movement in the area both on the ground and when the ball is in the air, has a slow turn with balls round the corner. He is never going to be a top class defender. If he is so solid, why have we shipped so many goals, our defence was abysmal last year...obviously other factors including the midfield, but nothing you have written actually points at him being a good defender apart from being solid which and good on the ball, neither of which he actually is.

I dont know what centre backs are available. But Hermoso and Kabak have both moved got under £30m and are just as good, there is Upamecano and Konate at Leipzig who are both better defenders, Romagnoli, Koulibailly are centre backs I really like then the likes of Milenkovic and several others I have seen little of that seem highly rated. Dont get me wrong, I am all for signing Harry Maguire, be a good signing, I dont care about the fee....Im just arguing that people saying he is the only option is a ridiculous statement as there are loads of really good centre backs out there and even the stellar ones like ROmagnoli for £80m may be possible if that is the fee it would take for Maguire
He is definitely above average on the ball, sure he's no Ramos but he is certainly better than anyone else in the squad. I keep reading about pace but he is quick enough, I can't remember him getting outpaced last season. I also don't remember him getting caught out of position too much last season, whereas I do remember our other centre backs playing a player onside etc. Aerially he isn't great but Maguire would be able to balance out that weakness in a partnership. Personally I'd be happy with those two being our starting central defenders. I definitely disagree with Smalling being our best centre-back but I don't think our opinions differ too much - we're only likely to sign one CB this window and I think Lindelof should be their partner come August.

Regarding your posited CB signings, most of those I know by name but not by game (although ironically I know them mostly from Football Manager) but I'll take your word for it... I don't watch as much football as I used to but after seeing the much vaunted Skiniar, a player whose name was being bandied about as better as Maguire in the transfer thread and whom I hadn't seen before, get skinned by our children's team, I'm reluctantly doing so.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Smalling is probably our best centre-back in the penalty area. Outside of this, he just falls to pieces. Jones, is slightly better outside the box but very injury prone and his positioning is sometimes very suspect. Bailly is quick, rough around the edges and again consistently injured. He just has too many brain farts and not good for those with a weak heart. Rojo is a hoof merchant and a liability, also a very injury prone.

Lindelof had a good solid consistent season, decent with the ball but his main weakness is in the air and does not have the pace to be top class. He's only afforded grace because all of our other CB's have more weaknesses. We definitely need a commanding defender who is a talker and dominate in the air, can play out of defence and start attacks. Gone are the days when defenders only needed to defend the area. The game is more technical than a decade back.

Gerald G

I really doubt this is a hint we won't sign a CB. We still need a CB and I would get rid of Jones or (send Bailly on loan) + Rojo. New CB, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanezebe & Bailly/Jones.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ffs put the whole question and answer in the OP. We shouldn’t be click baiting on here...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I suggest the OP puts the question to the answer to provide some context.

Ole was asked if Axel will go on loan or if he has a future with the club. Ole said he has a future with the club. I think that statement is not mutually exclusive from us signing Maguire.. he'll likely sell Rojo or Bailey before getting rid of Axel.