A hint from Ole we might not sign a CB?

mu4c_20le

Hm, because he is by far far better than the rest?
If you are only as good as your last season, sure, he was our most consistent defender in a shit show of a season. In his first season though, he was shocking, like Vidic and Evra's debuts, but for the entire year.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I personally think we need 2 central defenders to even think about winning major trophies. However, if this is not possible this season then buying one should at least be a priority. Lindelof and one other are good enough to be back-ups.

Really need to off-load a number of defenders. Matic was also a liability last season with his form in shielding the defence and didn't cover himself in glory.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In terms of potential in the squad and if we want to trust youth this season, I'd say that midfield is the only position where we absolutely need someone. Have Pogba and have hopes with McTominay, but everyone else is pretty much squad player quality, Garner is very young and it takes a lot longer for those types of players to break through, while Pogba as well won't stay for many more years IMO. So I could see a situation and the reasoning of ignoring CB, I just strongly disagree with it because I don't think Tuanzebe - Lindelof is an ideal CB partnership for the premier league (good on the ball, but would be weak physically and in the air). Maguire on the other hand with one of those 2 could work though. We'll see how it pans out I guess. Ignoring positions to give young players a genuine chance is never something that I'd complain about, which is why I'm OK with selling Lukaku and simply replacing his role with Greenwood, I'm OK with releasing Sanchez and just giving his minutes to Chong, I'm OK with Gomes just taking over Mata's role, etc. I would accept more inconsistencies and a worse season to see things like that, because the potential upside is massive and I'd be confident we would still be fine by doing that. Midfield is where I just don't see that being a real possibility (unless we sign Longstaff), but also at CB you really want a more experienced head to guide the younger heads like Tuanzebe.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I personally think we need 2 central defenders to even think about winning major trophies. However, if this is not possible this season then buying one should at least be a priority. Lindelof and one other are good enough to be back-ups.

Really need to off-load a number of defenders. Matic was also a liability last season with his form in shielding the defence and didn't cover himself in glory.
We aren't winning major trophies this season, our squad is just too young. Might be worth more embracing that and building for the future with giving the younger players their chances, which I think is the route we're taking. At the same time though, some positions you can't really ignore. Defensive mid is one (unless McTominay is seen as a DM and not a box to box), and the main automatic choice complete center back is the other, but we don't have to go down the route of splashing big money to fill in every gap and demand instant success while blocking the development of younger players. Not sure that's the way to go for United, it never has been.

Gordon S

He isn’t though. Unless it’s a coincidence our defence was so shit last season.
We were crap at defending as a team last season. Our pressing was very erratic and we had mostly slow cumbersome midfielders casually strolling around at times. Lindelöf did well considering.

A top quality dm would make a big difference and would make us a lot more solid in defence.

ravi2

You think Ed cares that much about winning trophies?
We arent even guaranteed to get one CB in the way things are heading

C'est Moi Cantona

Just as long as Ole isn't the fall guy then I'm fine with it.

So it's all on Ed & the Glazers shoulders this one, as it'd be negligence to go into another season without a new CB, but if they know best..

UnitedObsession99

Ole: “Axel is the future of this club".

Perhaps we aren’t going to increase our offer for Maguire?

Thoughts on the Tuanzebe - Lindelof partnership?
Tuanzebe is just 22 in November. He can be the future of the club and we could still get Maguire.

There is no shortage of crap that we can upgrade and Smalling turns 30 this year.

Tuanzebe over the next year or two can be ahead of Darmian, Rojo, Jones and Smalling. Id expect two of those to be gone. Smalling might slip to 4th choice.

Hughie77

Yep, it's the last offer there having for Maguire, and I'd agree, the bid is enough and a fair price.
Tunezabe is ok, not the best header of the ball, his stats in the championship I think was low in Ariel duels.

Other than that he's been ok. But a proven CB is what we need but not held to ransom to get one.

0le

Its a risk and it also highlights how pathetic Woodward and co are in the transfer market to potentially not have another defender or two lined up.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yep, it's the last offer there having for Maguire, and I'd agree, the bid is enough and a fair price.
Tunezabe is ok, not the best header of the ball, his stats in the championship I think was low in Ariel duels.

Other than that he's been ok. But a proven CB is what we need but not held to ransom to get one.
Yes we should be held to ransom, because we are rightly marked as idiots in the transfer market, and we should have got one last summer, so now we are desperate, personally I don't care if Maguire costs £100 million, if that's what Ole wants, just get him.

If Tuanzenbe is going to be our only CB reinforcement then we might as well raise the white flag now, it would be beyond idiotic not getting a capable CB this summer.

Bwuk

Im fine with it if it means Tuanzebe - Lindelof.

If Jones or Smalling start regularly we’re a joke.

Smores

It'll be spinned as a choice when we inevitably fail to get a CB, just like Poch chose to keep the same squad last season.

I'm sure a fair few will actually believe it as well. Hopefully Axel gets plenty of games but through his performances not because of our transfer incompetence.

jesperjaap

He is definitely above average on the ball, sure he's no Ramos but he is certainly better than anyone else in the squad. I keep reading about pace but he is quick enough, I can't remember him getting outpaced last season. I also don't remember him getting caught out of position too much last season, whereas I do remember our other centre backs playing a player onside etc. Aerially he isn't great but Maguire would be able to balance out that weakness in a partnership. Personally I'd be happy with those two being our starting central defenders. I definitely disagree with Smalling being our best centre-back but I don't think our opinions differ too much - we're only likely to sign one CB this window and I think Lindelof should be their partner come August.

Regarding your posited CB signings, most of those I know by name but not by game (although ironically I know them mostly from Football Manager) but I'll take your word for it... I don't watch as much football as I used to but after seeing the much vaunted Skiniar, a player whose name was being bandied about as better as Maguire in the transfer thread and whom I hadn't seen before, get skinned by our children's team, I'm reluctantly doing so.
I think Smalling is the best in our squad at just defending. Wont argue on Lindelof, both made our thoughts clear. I will say though, I actually think Lindelof and Maguire would be a really bad partnership, which is my main worry of signing him, think he would be better with virtually any of our other centre backs than Lindelof and thats not to do with my not rating Lindelof either

DSG

We need to get rid of Darmian & Rojo, Jones as well. Bailly might still come good, Smalling is useful, especially those February away fixtures at bottom table clubs.

I’d be happy with the following CBs to start the season:

Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Smalling
Bailly
Xxxxxxx 25m-50m signing

Why not save the cash for a January Sancho bid??

diarm

If Tuanzebe really is the future, makes even more sense to go for Alderweireld on a 3 year year deal. £25m release clause, PL proven and will bring much needed experience and leadership to our back line. I can only imagine we've approached him and he isn't interested. Anything else would just be negligence.

tjb

If Tuanzebe really is the future, makes even more sense to go for Alderweireld on a 3 year year deal. £25m release clause, PL proven and will bring much needed experience and leadership to our back line. I can only imagine we've approached him and he isn't interested. Anything else would just be negligence.
Agree with the sentiment. I think we have a lot to look forward to for the future, and at centre back, the way our defence is setup, we really just need a stable confident figure that can help both lindelof and tuanzebe develop. Our biggest need in is attack, attacking midfield and on the right flank. I would be excited if either greenwood or james earn that position. My feeling is that we are waiting to get sancho next year, but if greenwood
earns the spot, there would be no need. Attacking midfield, Gomes would be lovely, but his lack of physical presence is a worry. I would prioritize signing this position, followed by a centre back. Keep Pogba, and see where his head is at so we can plan for next year, and we could have a real team for the coming years. Lots of exciting talent and a manager with the right mentality to take us there. Seems like we are finally rebuilding instead of simply patching up

Foxbatt

I have a gut feeling that it is going to be Toby Alderweireld. Apparently he has a relatively cheap release clause but that can only be activated or ends in 25th July I think

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We need one, and we needed one last summer. Not addressing a problem 2 years straight is a pretty poor strategy.

But it's something we keep doing. We've needed a right winger since we tried to sign Lucas Moura in 2012, and then Pedro in 2015, and several years later we're still shoving the slowest and weakest player in the team out on the right. No pressure on Daniel James at all then.

I hope Axel turns out to be the real deal and I hope he gets a lot of minutes, but I don't think he's the man to fix our centre back problems right here and now. Lindelof needs a top class partner to start the season, with Tuanzebe and one of the remaining CBs as back up.

Nickosaur

Ole aint a dumb dumb. We would like an upgrade however our defense isn't a total shambles. Leceister might like to make Mcguire the most expensive defender in history but I don't think the big clubs are willing to bite.
Fecking hell I dont know why this annoys me so much

Keefy18

I've absolutely no problem with this what so ever.

Maguire is average, like paying £80m for another Smalling.

Cathy Ferguson

I've absolutely no problem with this what so ever.

Maguire is average, like paying £80m for another Smalling.
Maguire is clearly better than anything that we have, but I can understand why the club is thinking twice about spending 80m or even more on a player who is not and never will be top three in the world.

Keefy18

Maguire is clearly better than anything that we have, but I can understand why the club is thinking twice about spending 80m or even more on a player who is not and never will be top three in the world.
He's not at all.

Much of his performance data is inferior to Smalling for example.

A mate and myself looked at the performance data of Maguire vs our own CB's since Aug 2017 right up to May this year (2 full seasons) and he comes out behind Smalling, about the same as Lindelof but ahead of Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

tenpoless

Every young players are the future of the club until They feck it up (or have shown that They're not good enough).

Nothing to see from his comments.

Blind

I'd be happy to see him and Smalling as back up to a Lindelof and Maguire partnership. Maguire is necessary, he stays injury free, he's commanding and he can play.

But the defence desperately needs a clear out, no club needs 7 centre backs, assuming Maguire signs, and Darmian as extra cover, going into a season.

Foxinthebox89

Supports
Leicester
Leicester fan in peace here
So the Maguire saga seems like it's going to go the distance, you may have had a few points of view from some is our lot already but thought I would give my opinion on the whole issue
So I think it's obvious to all that Old slabhead wants the move, be it your lot or your neighbours, either way he's got a better chance of silverware whichever side he moves to, it's pretty much a matter of time
We don't need to sell, hence why we are asking for so much money, but in all honesty the last offer you lot made us, I and many would have bitten your hand off, here's why (only my opinion)
For a CB Harrys is very comfortable with the ball at his feet and his range of passing can be outstanding at times, he's a decent dribbler of the ball and there's been numerous occasions he's ran from our own box well into the oppositions final 3rd, so if ole is looking to play from the back then he would fit in your 11 nicely, he's brilliant in the air and not much beats him, also he's a real pro and during this sage we have gotten ourselves into, he's held it together with class and hasn't thrown a strop, which he could easily do but I don't think it's in his character, however......... His positioning at awareness has been at times horrendous, which on more then a handful of times has meant us conceding vital goals, he's not an out and out leader and struggles playing in a pairing with a CB who's not experienced and can command him
Alot of our fans, myself included, felt that your old boy Jonny Evans was our best CB last season, the man oozes class and the money we paid WBA for him was criminal, he's already a big fans favourite for us, and the pairing him and Harry made up last season worked well, but only because Jonny was there to guide Harry
The general drift I gather from alot of our fans is, as much as it would be nice for slabhead to stay, for 80 million if you were to offer it, we would drive him to old Trafford ourselves, thats not because he's a bad player because he's clearly not, it's just that deep down we know he's in no way worth more then 50-60 million, and we can easily find a replacement for him, if he's to go it won't sting as much as when Kante or Mahrez decided to jump ship
It seems a matter of time before he joins your boys and I can't blame him for wanting to be part of one of the world's biggest clubs, he would leave with my best wishes and thanks for being a very good CB for us......just not an 80 million pounds worth CB

roseguy64

Axel is fine but we fecked ourself when we give Smalling-Jones that fat contract. Cant sell when literally no one wants them and cant buy because we still have them on book. We have the number but quality isnt there obviously.
You realise that every manager they've had rates them? The only manager who has not is Southgate with Smalling yet he starts most games for every Man Utd manager and has been key, along with De Gea for the good defensive records we've had since Fergie retired. We're not looking to sell Smalling and Jones.

vangagal

You realise that every manager they've had rates them? The only manager who has not is Southgate with Smalling yet he starts most games for every Man Utd manager and has been key, along with De Gea for the good defensive records we've had since Fergie retired. We're not looking to sell Smalling and Jones.
They rated them didnt mean we cant improve at it.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Honestly think unless we can sell two of our current 6 center backs we should not be even thinking about buying an additional player in the position.

At this stage if we sign Maguire we would go into next season with 7 center back, which is just stupid.

The sad situation is that we have invested so badly for so long we have sort of spent our selves into a corner.

Foxbatt

I agree with foxinthebox. I have seen him make many crucial mistakes and that is vital that he does not make those mistakes. We thought Evans was/is not good enough and if you think he is better than Maguire then there is no point in getting him. I never thought he was worth all that money anyway. We have Lindelof and Axel coming up. What at this moment in time we need is a brutal player like Vidic who can defend period. All that other stuff Lindelof can do.
If it was for me the first thing I would look for is to replace Matic. To me someone to replace Matic is more important that trying to get a CB at that ridiculous price.