A hint from Ole we might not sign a CB?

wolvored

I think it's important to send a gentle reminder that we're still United, the biggest club in the world, and the place where players dream of playing and performing in front of a full house at the theatre. The days of us being rinsed by two bob clubs are over.

If Maguire wants to take his career to the next level, he'll probably need to join us in pushing the deal over the line. The chance to play for United will never come around again for him.
Unfortunately that isnt so true nowadays. We need to build back up to that level

Cathy Ferguson

He's not at all.

Much of his performance data is inferior to Smalling for example.

A mate and myself looked at the performance data of Maguire vs our own CB's since Aug 2017 right up to May this year (2 full seasons) and he comes out behind Smalling, about the same as Lindelof but ahead of Jones, Bailly and Rojo.
Smalling has better acceleration but that's about it. Very few people rates Smalling higher than Maguire. Maguire is very skillful in bringing the ball out of defence, Smalling is quite atrocious.

Eric's Seagull

Just as long as Ole isn't the fall guy then I'm fine with it.

So it's all on Ed & the Glazers shoulders this one, as it'd be negligence to go into another season without a new CB, but if they know best..
Agree with your post. I've feared for a while that Woody is not going to the necessary players Ole needs, thus not giving him a proper platform from which to succeed then making Ole the scapegoat for Woody's ineptness.
I really think we need another centre-back and I particularly agree with the point in bold and hope that Woody has the balls to take responsibility if we not do as well we should if he doesn't get Ole another centre-back mate.

Icemav

I personally have a feeling that Macquire will be a great addition and could help the defensive unit progress massively. His style of play is a big change to Smalling's.

The problem is the fee. Leicester are within their rights to stick a price on him and ask clubs to match it, like us with Pogba. Its just a bit odd that this type of player is being priced out of the market. He is very good but noone wants to give up a world record fee for him.

Lentwood

Maguire would improve us and we should get MINIMUM 4/5yrs solid value out of him. It's a no-brainer to me.

I would quite happily see us sell Jones and Rojo though and have Maguire, Smalling, Lindelof and Tuanzebe as the four 1st team CBs next season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Smalling/Maguire would be an awesome partnership. Exactly how the England side should line up.
Bang on. Smalling is a more traditional defender; good at defending clearing the ball.
Whereas Maguire is far more assured on the ball and would give us a much stronger presence in the opponents penalty area from corners.
Football is all about the money and if that was the only issue then we will have to bite the bullet and pay the fee.

Bestietom

Nothing would surprise me now. Glazers don't want to spend big money on our team anymore. We have got to sell before we buy and the ones who would bring in big money, we can't sell

sp_107

No more defenders ?

I would go for both Toby and Maguire with VL, AT and smalling as backups.

I will get rid of Jones/Rojo/Baily/ Darmian/Young to fix our defence.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Anything other than Smalling and Jones

cjhill44

We will not sign Harry Maguire and here's why...

Not sure if we put in a bid last season but Leicester wanted 70 million for him, which Woodward thought wasn't a good investment.

Now this year he is 1 year older (26) and Leicester want 80-90million for him!

So now it would be an even worse investment because he is a year older and probably only has 1 big transfer left in him, therefore if we sign him for 80 million and he signs a 4 year contract, by the time that is up he'll be 30 and worth only half that.

The club simply won't re-coup the money for him. They see buying players business investments, so they need to see some form of return on their investment.
He doesn't come with a huge commercial value either, i.e he won't bring lucrative sponsorship deals/image rights etc with him and he's not going to be a huge shirt seller.

The ONLY way we could get him is if he hands in a transfer request close to deadline day and Leicester/Utd manage to agree a lower fee close to the 70million offered off the back of this.