A Look at Goalkeeper Options and Replacing De Gea

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Bloke from Feyenoord has been said to be in addition to a first choice keeper (Onana) in all I've read, rather than instead.
Yeah I know but Glazers are making me very nervous this window.

They’ve already failed to get ETH the players he wanted first choice, and they’re clearly not vested at all in running the club anymore.

And as I’ve said in other threads, ETH Dutch reliance also is a bit concerning.

If they got Costa / Onana first and then went after this lad, fine. But you just know if they make this signing first they’ll find a way to feck it up and Utd go into next season with a worse number 1 than DDG. It’s got Glazers written all over it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yeah I know but Glazers are making me very nervous this window.

They’ve already failed to get ETH the players he wanted first choice, and they’re clearly not vested at all in running the club anymore.

And as I’ve said in other threads, ETH Dutch reliance also is a bit concerning.

If they got Costa / Onana first abd then went after this lad, fine. But you just know if they make this signing first they’ll find a way to feck it up and Utd go into next season with a worse number 1 than DDG. It’s got Glazers written all over it.
My feeling has been Onana is probably quite close. Not that I'm thrilled about that, personally, as he frightens me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that specific concern of yours is alleviated relatively soon. The Dutch/former player obsession we've shown is one I suspect you'll have to worry about for a while yet mind.

Dozer

Is Livakovic an option? Available for a pittance it seems. Admittedly I’ve not seen much of him at club level but has always impressed me for Croatia.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
How about signing Navas for 1-2 years? Great GK, proven in the league, on his last year of contract so not expensive, probably not a big salary and it could be the last hurrah of his career, while giving United time for a new promising younger GK to settle (Onana/Livakovic could be options in the 27-28 year range, Costa/Meslier in the 22-23 range).

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
My feeling has been Onana is probably quite close. Not that I'm thrilled about that, personally, as he frightens me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that specific concern of yours is alleviated relatively soon. The Dutch/former player obsession we've shown is one I suspect you'll have to worry about for a while yet mind.
Onana is a really exciting addition I think!

He’ll need 2 solid CBS in front (or behind) him.

Onana, Martinez and Varane would be great I reckon.

It’s the kind of signing the club needs to take that bold leap into modernity on the pitch.

DickDastardly

Is it cos I is black?

berbasloth4

I have forever been pro de gea but whatever decision manager makes I’ll support it but they way de gea has been treated the way a legend has been treated is disgraceful.

MrBest

Fact, De Gea is a legend, he is in the top 10 appearances for the club. Fact, Onana will improve us massively at the back especially as he is more suited to Hag style. Whatever happens though, De Gea needs to be appreciated and I am for a new goalkeeper.

ifightdragons

Glazers really have screwed this club good and proper. No investment leaves us with this (although Tom Heaton is a decent enough keeper, and I'm less worried about/angry with Henderson than others):

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tenhag-manutd-henderson-degea-heaton-30338617
That article was written on June 28, and is a bit outdated at this point.

Onana is now very close to joining, meaning Henderson will go.

It also says that Henderson is still injured and recovering, but he has already confirmed via a picture on Instagram Story (no longer available to view) that he is back in training.

I'd rather we get Onana at this point, but I'd be happy with Henderson as well. He is an upgrade on De Gea in every area, except shot stopping. And it would save us money. The fact that he slammed Solskjaer in an interview doesn't bother me at all. I agree with his criticism of the club's handling of the keeper situation, even if it was a bit blunt.

But he's not staying. Romano seems quite confident the Onana deal is close to being agreed, and he is usually spot on.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Does look as if Inter are scouring around for a replacement so, indeed, this could be on. Does this guy actually dominate his area, does he come for crosses, battering anything/anyone in his way? I'd still prefer Martinez, but this is surely an upgrade