Trent Gomez Maguire Chilwell
(AWB) (Dunk) (Keane) (Shaw)

Henderson Rice
(Winks) (Chamberlain)

Sancho Foden Sterling
(Rashford) (Maddison) (Grealish)

Kane
(Ings)​

For next years Euros. And then there’s still Greenwood & Saka who should be in the squad also! Could replace AWB with Walker if we want a similar profile or right back if TAA gets injured.

although knowing Southgate the likes of Barkley & Delph will be in haha
Like the look of this.

LB looks a bit weak though and I'd prob go with Henderson-Chamberlain for the Liverpool connection.

Front line I agree with but I think DCL should get a shout in as sub for strike and on the left or midfield could be Saka.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
IMO he is one of the best talents ive ever seen at 18 years of age, he will be amazing should he choose England over Nigeria.
Is him switching from England to another country via the grandparent/parent clause likely if he is good enough?

He's played for England at various youth levels, I can't think of any players who decided to go down the "grandparent" route unless they were not getting picked.

Eire Red United

The issue is that whoever the England manager is, they'll continue playing Kane till probably WC2026- the time when you would want the front 3 to be Jadon, Rashford and Mason, as all of them would be in their peak years. Even today, I'd prefer Sothgate to drop Sterling from the team as his record for England is really poor.
Would love to see that front 3 win the CL 2026, then get put out in the group stage of WC.

Utdstar01

If we wanted to play 3 CBs, we could even play AWB on the right of the 3.

Classical Mechanic

Is him switching from England to another country via the grandparent/parent clause likely if he is good enough?

He's played for England at various youth levels, I can't think of any players who decided to go down the "grandparent" route unless they were not getting picked.
He's said in the press that he's open to play for Nigeria but if he gets selected for England I'd guess he'd take it without a thought.

I don't rate him in the very top bracket of talent coming through personally.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Why would he choose Nigeria? He was born in England, learnt the game in England & has represented England at every other level internationally.

I think he’ll only pick Nigeria if he’s still uncapped when he’s like 24-25, similar to Zaha with Ivory Coast.
I think he'll be capped within 12 months that's for sure. Personally I pray he chooses England but there is a lot of talk Nigeria are going for him

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
He's said in the press that he's open to play for Nigeria but if he gets selected for England I'd guess he'd take it without a thought.

I don't rate him in the very top bracket of talent coming through personally.
Really? I'd say he's literally right at the top personally

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we wanted to play 3 CBs, we could even play AWB on the right of the 3.
AWB Maguire Shaw
Trent Henderson Chilwell
Foden
Sancho Kane Sterling​

looks decent tbf. Could work well against a France or a Belgium who will get after us. Takes defensive responsibility off Trent too. AWB & Shaw could be targeted in the air though. Not sure if Gomez would work as LCB in a 3.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Who impresses you more out of Holgate & Keane? Think either could break into the England side? Maguire & Gomez seem like the only nailed on places at the moment.

DCL has tough competition with Kane, Ings, Abraham and Greenwood. He has improved tremendously under Don Carlo though.
It depends on how Southgate plans to play. If he wants to concede the ball , sit deep and play on the counter then the best option would be Keane. He can be a really good penalty box defender in them circumstances. If he wants to play on the front foot with a high line then Keane is not the man you want to take as he is extremely slow and would just get exposed.

Holgate on the other hand would certainly the best option if England want to play on the front foot. He has good pace and is very good on the ball. Due his mobility he is very comfortable when in possession and because of this he doesn't feel the need to make any over the top passes that some ball playing centre backs feel the need to make these days. He even put in a great performance at Old Trafford this season playing as defensive midfielder. Defensively he will have to keep his form up for another year though as at the moment it's only been half a season of him playing regularly at centre back. He's been very good though and Carlo looks to be a huge fan.

Utdstar01

England are certainly looking good for the next few years. One thing I'll add is Bukayo Saka is no way playing defence for England, hes further forward for Arsenal.

IMO he is one of the best talents ive ever seen at 18 years of age, he will be amazing should he choose England over Nigeria.
He's a very good talent but think you're overdoing it there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@anant

I agree with you about Harry Kane.

It's like you have these bunch of players that seem to play on the same mechanical and technical level (Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Foden, Mount, Saka, Grealish) - the list is continuous according to this thread; but we may finish it off by playing Kane upfront.

Kane is a great player - but you play him right in the middle of these speedy, technical players that look like a nice new generation that has the ability to interlink with each other and he looks like a big tree log who is just a bit kind of past it.

That's where I think we might have a problem with this generation again - not having the guts to drop big name players out of the squad due to not fitting in to a team or atleast to a substitute level.

I am personally not excited at wanting to see Kane at United for the same reason (I dont think he would interlink as great with the players of the newer generation we have ie Rashford, Greenwood, AWB & even possibly Sancho if they do join.

JohnnyKills

This crop of England players will be better than the Gerrard-Lampard-Scholes team I reckon.

That team was really English - big, strong, fast - whereas this one will be more technical and fluid, with players able to change positions.

Reckon we'll win one of the next two major tournaments.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This crop of England players will be better than the Gerrard-Lampard-Scholes team I reckon.

That team was really English - big, strong, fast - whereas this one will be more technical and fluid, with players able to change positions.

Reckon we'll win one of the next two major tournaments.
England would fare further if htey only have lampar OR gerrard OR Scholes

Too many stars sometimes is a double edged sword.

IF only they only have 1 of them and built the team around them

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
AWB Maguire Shaw
Trent Henderson Chilwell
Foden
Sancho Kane Sterling​

looks decent tbf. Could work well against a France or a Belgium who will get after us. Takes defensive responsibility off Trent too. AWB & Shaw could be targeted in the air though. Not sure if Gomez would work as LCB in a 3.
How is the midfield supposed to work :confused:

JohnnyKills

England would fare further if htey only have lampar OR gerrard OR Scholes

Too many stars sometimes is a double edged sword.

IF only they only have 1 of them and built the team around them
Manager was the problem. Erikssen should have built the team around Scholes and played a midfield diamond but he was too scared to drop Beckham so had to play 4-4-2. Absolute charlatan of a manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Manager was the problem. Erikssen should have built the team around Scholes and played a midfield diamond but he was too scared to drop Beckham so had to play 4-4-2. Absolute charlatan of a manager.
I don't know if you have the personnel to build the team around Scholes back then to be fair.

With Gerard his style of play suits England (solo skill), not so with Scholes

Anyone of them would work, just not 2 out of 3 in one lineup

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

How is the midfield supposed to work :confused:
I modelled it with the way Belgium used to set up in mind.

Courtois
(Henderson)

Toby Kompany Vertonghen
(AWB) (Maguire) (Shaw)

Meunier Witsel Carrasco
(Trent) (Henderson) (Chilwell)

De Bruyne
(Foden)

Mertens Lukaku Hazard
(Sancho) (Kane) (Sterling)​

izec

Angel Gomes is missing. He will be playing for England shortly, once he gets more game time and a chance to establish himself.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
England need the right coach to nurture the talent. Southgate has done a good job but how long will he be around?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
My choice of Manager(unless you agree)should let you know how seriously I was taking it, but go on, i've showed you mine now let's see yours.
I don't follow England so I wouldn't have a clue who is up and coming apart from the obvious ones.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
-------------------------------Henderson-------------------------------
AWB/TAA---------Gomez--------Maguire------------Chilwell
--------------------------------Bellingham------------------------------
----------------Henderson---------------Foden----------------------
Sterling----------------------Kane-------------------------Rashford

Subs: Pope, AWB/TAA, Shaw, Stones (if he can imrove), Ox, Rice, Sancho, Greenwood, Ings

AWB and TAA can alternate depending on the opponent. In a game England will dominate I would go with TAA but in a tougher game I would go with AWB. Especially if the opponent has a skilled guy at LW. Stones showed promise early but can't get a game at City now. He needs to move on to get his career back on track. There was a time where I thought he would be England's starter. The front 3 is truly world class. Hard to keep Sancho out but I have no problem if someone disagrees with me not picking him to start. Bellingham is the wild card. Not sure if he's ready to start and if I'm honest, I'm only picking him based on reputation as I have only seen YouTube highlights. So perhaps Rice in his place, or Henderson can go to DM and slot in Ox (or someone else I may be missing?)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You're jumping the gun with Garner. From a youth level perspective, yes Garner and Doyle are the best youth midfielders England has (apart from Bellingham). However, they haven't proven it at first team level yet. Not even in a small capacity like CHO last season.
How many of the listed players in the op have proved anything?

I can't recall ever seeing a young English midfielder looking equally as comfortable on either side of the ball as Garner does, the World is his Lobster.

fergies coat

I still think between 96 and 98 was our best set of players.

Martyn
Flowers
Seaman
Adams
Le saux
Rio
Campbell
Southgate
Neville
Pearce
Gazza
Beckham
Scholes
Ince
Platt
Mcmanaman
Anderton
Batty
Cole
Fowler
Collymore
Shearer
Owen
L Ferdinand
Sheringham

unplayable

There’s just not enough quality coming through in the defensive and midfield areas. It’s like we went completely the other way from the noughties and we’ve ended up producing a generation of outstanding (possibly) attacking players.

Henderson is 30 now and whilst his fitness will likely allow him to play many more years, you wouldn’t imagine he’d be a mainstay in more than one more tournament possibly two with Qatar in 2022.

There are decent players in that position but is there anyone outstanding? The defence is probably lacking a CB and a GK but the central midfield position has an even bigger dearth of quality.
Wouldn't Arnold be an interesting option in CM?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Conor Gallagher and Lamptey.
I like the look of Lamptey. Hes gutsy from the little bit ive seen of him. it’s probably more his stature but he kind of reminds me of Paul Parker. England are stacked in the full back, wide forward and striker position. AWB is going to have a hard time getting past Trent and Shaw with Chilwell. There’s certainly enough competition and cover to bring things to the boil nicely at tournament time. I would have a flutter on England to win something soon. The squad will have lads that have been playing together all through the youth setup and the football in the PL has never been at a more technical standard, the competition is fierce, the best managers and players in the world are here now plus all the money and advances in youth coaching. As an Irishman it pains me to say it but England will be right up there over the next few years.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I like the look of Lamptey. Hes gutsy from the little bit ive seen of him. it’s probably more his stature but he kind of reminds me of Paul Parker. England are stacked in the full back, wide forward and striker position. AWB is going to have a hard time getting past Trent and Shaw with Chilwell. There’s certainly enough competition and cover to bring things to the boil nicely at tournament time. I would have a flutter on England to win something soon. The squad will have lads that have been playing together all through the youth setup and the football in the PL has never been at a more technical standard, the competition is fierce, the best managers and players in the world are here now plus all the money and advances in youth coaching. As an Irishman it pains me to say it but England will be right up there over the next few years.
I could be wrong but I don't think AWB will have much of an international career for the same reason Azpi didn't, despite being unbelievable one on one defenders they just don't offer enough going forward compared to their competition which rightly or wrongly is a key part of the modern full back, especially in progressive systems like Spain and this England setup.

LB I'd probably even this early give the role to Saka. He won't get a wing position ahead of Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and (if he avoids injuries) CHO but he has the quality to be selected. To me he screams like one of those players who aren't quite good enough to be an elite level winger but could quite easily become the world's best fullback.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I could be wrong but I don't think AWB will have much of an international career for the same reason Azpi didn't, despite being unbelievable one on one defenders they just don't offer enough going forward compared to their competition which rightly or wrongly is a key part of the modern full back, especially in progressive systems like Spain and this England setup.

LB I'd probably even this early give the role to Saka. He won't get a wing position ahead of Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and (if he avoids injuries) CHO but he has the quality to be selected. To me he screams like one of those players who aren't quite good enough to be an elite level winger but could quite easily become the world's best fullback.
saka looks a very interesting prospect and as you said attacking fullbacks are the in thing full backs are now wingers who defend a bit and wingers are strikers (forwards). I reckon AWB will see a bit more international game time than Shaw going forward. AWB basically lets you close down an entire side of the pitch which will be handy when England are up against the better teams later on in tournaments he’s also pretty close on athletic ability to Trent he just needs to put it all together for another season or 2. He’ll have plenty of the ball at United anyway! I agree he’s currently probably not going to be needed in about 90% of their matches though. What a great problem for a manager to have. It’s not like we are overrating just because they are English players either. They are statistically the best players in their position in a league jammed full of talent from all over the world.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't follow England either, so that's no excuse. Just go with the obvious ones then, i'll even let you pick Tanganga and the lesser-spotted Sessegnon ;)
Tanganga to be fair could be in with a shot once he gets fit again if he continues to play regularly - he is solid in central defense and right back - Sessegnon is nowhere near it yet.

Lee565

Bissaka will be a great option to have when England are defending a lead late on in a game and to a lesser degree the same could probably be said for shaw who I would rate as probably the best left back england have in terms of defensive qualities

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
The amount of people in here suggesting AWB in the England team. :lol:

Trent is the only player we can guarantee will be in the team for every tournament in the 2020s, if fit.

Class of 63

Sourness
Tanganga to be fair could be in with a shot once he gets fit again if he continues to play regularly - he is solid in central defense and right back - Sessegnon is nowhere near it yet.
Hindsight yeah but Sessegnon should have stayed at Fulham, I forgot he was at Tottenham till I looked on the FPL website to find out how you spell Tanganga ;)

Class of 63

Sourness

Trent is the only player we can guarantee will be in the team for every tournament in the 2020s, if fit.
Depends how much stock the next 3 or 4 England Managers have in wanting a right-back that can actually defend, if they do Terence Trent Darby or whatever the feck his name is won't.

-Supreme-

It depends on the team setup and opposition, I'd play AWB ahead of Trent if he's faced against Eden Hazard / Belgium for example.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Wouldn't Arnold be an interesting option in CM?
There seems to be a clamour for him to play there certainly. He won’t be playing there in a Klopp side unless we drastically shift focus away from our full backs both of whom have many years in them.

At full back he he has time and space and the entire pitch to cause absolute chaos and devastation from. In the centre he’d be pressured constantly, have to keep his head on a swivel, do a hell of a lot of running and see a lot less of the ball. It’s a pointless endeavour imo, the lad has many facets to his game and moving him in to midfield is an unnecessary step that’ll likely inhibit him rather than turn him in KDB 2.0.

He might at some point play there in the future once Klopp has left and try his hand there but it’d be foolish of England to try him there without him having any real experience at this level. Defensively it would depend, he’s fine against most wingers in the league but the real top ones he struggles against particularly without any protection. However he has had games where he’s been excellent defensively, in the CL against City where we sat in and were compact he kept Sane quiet as anything!