A new golden generation for England?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seriously could win something with a bit of luck. I’m not sure about Southgate. And imo Harry Kane doesn’t fit into the team already — with the players that England already have and that are coming through. Fast technical football is the way to go and for me Kane will stand out like a sore thumb despite being very good on the ball and having fantastic hold up play.
Yeah could be a similar scenario Ruud found himself here when Rooney and Ronaldo were emerging, a pacey strong 9 might be better than an out and out back to goal goalscorer

SaidA_12

The combination of Maddison and Foden was very disappointing in the Euro U21 last year, with no creativity whatsoever. While they are great technical players on their own, the more difficult part is to fully utilize their ability and turn them into end products. Just hope they can achieve more in senior level.
Na I watched the whole tournament and Foden was miles ahead of everyone in his own team and the oppositions. He just sees things that other typical English midfielders don't. Maddison and mount were disappointing. It's was basically Foden carrying the team until the defence+ Hamza Choudary from Leicester(CDM) decided to just implode in on itself.

What a team we have honestly.

Pickford/Henderson
AWB/TAA.GOMEZ. MAGUIRE.CHILWELL/SHAW

RICE/PHILLIPS

HENDERSON. FODEN

SANCHO.KANE/GREENWOOD. RASH/STERLING

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah could be a similar scenario Ruud found himself here when Rooney and Ronaldo were emerging, a pacey strong 9 might be better than an out and out back to goal goalscorer
Yeah I was thinking of mentioning that actually, though I was a bit too young and a massive Ruud fan boy to understand that move back then. :lol:

flappyjay

It's a good squad, but it's hard to envision someone taking England over the finish line in a world cup. There is so much emotional stake and you need an attacker like Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe etc taking you to the finish line. I see Sterling, Kane crumbling under the pressure
Rashford ain't perfect but the boy loves big games.

In Rainbows

I’m a massive fan of CHO but he wasn’t higher rated than Sancho at youth level. Sancho was unbelievable at youth level, he would completely embarrass other national sides all by himself and won best player at the U17s Euros.
Sancho, Foden, and Gomes were the top 3 talents of 2000 when they were 13-16 I believe. Then CHO (who was tbf slightly younger) became a top 3 talent in place of Gomes when he was 17. So I had Sancho, Foden, and CHO as the best. However, thought Sancho had established himself as the best as they were nearing age 17. Think he made the step up to u23 football the earliest and excelled. And right now it's clear that Sancho and Foden are still the best 2 from that generation. Time will tell how Sessegnon, CHO, Aarons, Brewster, Gibbs White, etc... develop over the next 2-3 years.

Classical Mechanic

Sancho, Foden, and Gomes were the top 3 talents of 2000 when they were 13-16 I believe. Then CHO (who was tbf slightly younger) became a top 3 talent in place of Gomes when he was 17. So I had Sancho, Foden, and CHO as the best. However, thought Sancho had established himself as the best as they were nearing age 17. Think he made the step up to u23 football the earliest and excelled. And right now it's clear that Sancho and Foden are still the best 2 from that generation. Time will tell how Sessegnon, CHO, Aarons, Brewster, Gibbs White, etc... develop over the next 2-3 years.

They were all great but I don’t think any 2000 in the world was rated above Sancho. I think the big disappointment has been that non of the centre backs from that group have really kicked on.

He’s also a great link-up player. Mad to consider any England team without him for the foreseeable.
It’s something I’ve seen on other forums too. I find it surprising.

SaidA_12

They were all great but I don’t think any 2000 in the world was rated above Sancho. I think the big disappointment has been that non of the centre backs from that group have really kicked on.

It’s something I’ve seen on other forums too. I find it surprising.
Na I think only Foden was rated higher than Sancho by the former youth coaches at man city. Obviously Sancho kicked on and made a name for himself at Dortmund with Foden taking a bit longer but at least he's properly breaking through into the squad now which is a benefit to England.

Link to article of said youth coach:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksp...needed-borussia-dortmund-move-to-develop/amp/

Classical Mechanic

Na I think only Foden was rated higher than Sancho by the former youth coaches at man city. Obviously Sancho kicked on and made a name for himself at Dortmund with Foden taking a bit longer but at least he's properly breaking through into the squad now which is a benefit to England.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksp...needed-borussia-dortmund-move-to-develop/amp/
That’s a heavily biased opinion though. Foden is City’s golden boy whilst Sancho was only there a few years and upset the hierarchy when leaving.

That said, Foden, CHO and Sancho were all exceptional tier one talents at youth level.

In Rainbows

As far as I remember, Sancho made the step up to u23 football first or featured more consistently at the u23 level. Their coaches are in charge of Sancho's promotion. Clearly they felt Sancho was slightly ahead.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Seriously could win something with a bit of luck. I’m not sure about Southgate. And imo Harry Kane doesn’t fit into the team already — with the players that England already have and that are coming through. Fast technical football is the way to go and for me Kane will stand out like a sore thumb despite being very good on the ball and having fantastic hold up play.
This is absolute bullshit

Hulme91

Find it incredible that people still doubt Harry Kane tbh
He's the captain, only 26 and has 32 goals in 45 matches for England
A complete world class footballer who will be the first name on the team sheet for the next 5/6 years and pivotal in any attempt at winning a trophy

Drainy

The attacking talent England is producing at the moment is really promising as people are saying. I am not familiar enough with other clubs to say that there is enough defensive talent to produce a balanced team capable of winning anything.

Difficult to know who will fall away though, but promising that so many are now willing to move abroad to get game time.

Drainy

Find it incredible that people still doubt Harry Kane tbh
He's the captain, only 26 and has 32 goals in 45 matches for England
A complete world class footballer who will be the first name on the team sheet for the next 5/6 years and pivotal in any attempt at winning a trophy
Is he a good fit with the way that the rest of the team play though?

Most top teams in England are playing a high press and he is a bit knackered.

croadyman

My only concerns with England for the euros next summer is that we haven't got a GK on the same level as some of the other countries and much like United we need someone alongside Maguire who can cover for his lack of pace. Our creativity in the middle is definitely improving but probably still lack that tempo controller. Obviously there is some serious threat from the wide areas as well. I can understand people's concerns about Kane but still expect him to be one of the first names on the team sheet. I also don't think Gareth will find it easy picking only four strikers to take to the tournament as well.

Last edited:

croadyman

I still think between 96 and 98 was our best set of players.

Martyn
Flowers
Seaman
Adams
Le saux
Rio
Campbell
Southgate
Neville
Pearce
Gazza
Beckham
Scholes
Ince
Platt
Mcmanaman
Anderton
Batty
Cole
Fowler
Collymore
Shearer
Owen
L Ferdinand
Sheringham
Was watching the Euro 96 semi final with Germany again the other day and found it incredible that England did not bring on either Fowler or Ferdinand in over 120 minutes of football, always say it shouldn't have been left to Southgate for that sixth penalty but others just did not want to step up unfortunately. Was gutting because all of the other takers took them so well even Psycho banished his demons against them as well.

dbs235

He’s also a great link-up player. Mad to consider any England team without him for the foreseeable.
Yeah, not only did he score in every single qualifier, he was also England's best play maker. He's a leader for England. People are just seeing that Spurs are having a hard time at the moment and writing him off. He gets absolutely zero service at Spurs. Has better players providing for him with England.

jesperjaap

I thought the last world cup squad was one of the worst I can remember for an England side so was very much shocked and delighted with our progression......though of course this was very much aided by the route we managed to find in the knock out stages.

But all the players now coming through now that were not involved for us then and are already making a name for themselves now is very exciting.

My only concerns are where are the quality centre backs and defensive midfielders? It does seem there is a plethora of attacking talents and right backs only?

jesperjaap

My only concerns with England for the euros next summer is that we haven't got a GK on the same level as some of the other countries and much like United we need someone alongside Maguire who can cover for his lack of pace. Our creativity in the middle is definitely improving but probably still lack that tempo controller. Obviously there is some serious threat from the wide areas as well. I can understand people's concerns about Kane but still expect him to be one of the first names on the team sheet. I also don't think Gareth will find it easy picking only four strikers to take to the tournament as well.

Think half the criticism of Kane is that he has been pretty poor the majority of this season, once he starts banging goals in that will soon stop again

Classical Mechanic

I thought the last world cup squad was one of the worst I can remember for an England side so was very much shocked and delighted with our progression......though of course this was very much aided by the route we managed to find in the knock out stages.

But all the players now coming through now that were not involved for us then and are already making a name for themselves now is very exciting.

My only concerns are where are the quality centre backs and defensive midfielders? It does seem there is a plethora of attacking talents and right backs only?
It is the concern really. Even if you look at the players on the verge of coming through its the wide forwards and wingers that catch the eye the most.

Kalvin Phillips at Leeds is one to watch next season as his style at the base of midfield is exactly what England need.

I think centre back is less of a concern, whilst there are no world class CBs there are a number of good ones with some interesting players coming through; Mason Holgate has come on this season and Ben White at Leeds is one to watch too.

InfiniteBoredom

Mediocre CBs and midfield options will kill you every single tournament.

As it stands, good enough for quarters and a couple of semis at a stretch, and in the Euro if Belgium and France shit themselves then I can see you with a chance, but one would think Italy, Spain and Holland would sort themselves out at some point, and Portugal despite not having many big names are still quite jammy in big tourneys.

neilv93

Whilst I don't disagree per se, I also think we're strong enough in defence to be contenders at any tournament in that area. Our strongest backline is Trent, Gomez, Maguire and Chilwell - which is better than most nations I think, no?

Delving deeper, with CBs: Maguire is only 27, Gomez is young, Mings is progressing well and at a good age, Tomori and Tuanzebe with Chelsea and us respectively have all the promise. Going younger again there's Nathan Ferguson, Nathan Wood, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Ben White, Jarrad Branthwaite, Japhet Tanganga and Ben Godfrey - plenty of options, not that all will be game-changers.

DM is where we're weakest for sure. Asides from Rice and Winks in the current crop, I'm scratching my head to think of any solid prospects coming through. Choudhury at Leicester? Davies at Everton? The Longstaff brothers at Toon? Bellingham? I'm not sure...

Classical Mechanic

DM is where we're weakest for sure. Asides from Rice and Winks in the current crop, I'm scratching my head to think of any solid prospects coming through. Choudhury at Leicester? Davies at Everton? The Longstaff brothers at Toon? Bellingham? I'm not sure...
Philips at Leeds, hopefully he can step up in the PL next year.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think centre back is less of a concern, whilst there are no world class CBs there are a number of good ones with some interesting players coming through; Mason Holgate has come on this season and Brighton's Ben White at Leeds is one to watch too.
Fixed for you! Very excited about Ben White

NWRed

Whilst I don't disagree per se, I also think we're strong enough in defence to be contenders at any tournament in that area. Our strongest backline is Trent, Gomez, Maguire and Chilwell - which is better than most nations I think, no?

Delving deeper, with CBs: Maguire is only 27, Gomez is young, Mings is progressing well and at a good age, Tomori and Tuanzebe with Chelsea and us respectively have all the promise. Going younger again there's Nathan Ferguson, Nathan Wood, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Ben White, Jarrad Branthwaite, Japhet Tanganga and Ben Godfrey - plenty of options, not that all will be game-changers.

Garner will be quality.

In Rainbows

It is the concern really. Even if you look at the players on the verge of coming through its the wide forwards and wingers that catch the eye the most.

Kalvin Phillips at Leeds is one to watch next season as his style at the base of midfield is exactly what England need.

I think centre back is less of a concern, whilst there are no world class CBs there are a number of good ones with some interesting players coming through; Mason Holgate has come on this season and Ben White at Leeds is one to watch too.
England is hoping one of Bellingham, Doyle, or Garner hit. Midfield is a genuine concern.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Could be one for United to go after this summer. He'd compliment Maguire and the system well.
Too young for a starting central defender for you, he's had no prem appearances yet. Yes he's had an outstanding season at Leeds, before that he's only had a few appearances at Peterborough and a season at Newport in senior football.

Don't get me wrong he looks amazing and I have very high hopes for him, but before someone spends big money on him he needs to prove he can do it at the top level. And we wont be selling for less than big money. It's far more likely we let Duffy or even Dunk go before White.

Classical Mechanic

Too young for a starting central defender for you, he's had no prem appearances yet. Yes he's had an outstanding season at Leeds, before that he's only had a few appearances at Peterborough and a season at Newport in senior football.

Don't get me wrong he looks amazing and I have very high hopes for him, but before someone spends big money on him he needs to prove he can do it at the top level. And we wont be selling for less than big money. It's far more likely we let Duffy or even Dunk go before White.
We need someone to challenge Lindelof rather than go straight into the XI. I think White has a good profile for that currently. I guess the fee might be prohibitive for the gamble at the moment though.

Jim Reaper

Play Trent and rice as double pivot with a number 8/10 hybrid Infront.
Kane
Sterling Grealish Sancho
Rice Trent
Chilwell. AWB
Maguire Gomez
Henderson

Every player has a good backup

Kane - Rashford
Sancho - Greenwood
Sterling - Saka
Grealish/Maddison - Mount - Foden - Barkley
Rice - Winks
Trent - Dier - Choudhury - Loftus
Chilwell - Shaw
AWB - James - Aarons
Maguire - Tomori/Godfrey
Gomez - Stones
Henderson - Butland - Pickford

That's without ox/Henderson/Alli who will have a shot at next tournament and also without prospects like Garner/Bellingham amongst others. The future is bright.

jesperjaap

Persoanlly absoutely no do I think that is a defence that will be amongst the top nations. Look at our attacking options Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Foden, Mount, RedmondMaddison, Hudson Odoi, Abraham, Greenwood......there is so much talent starting to establish themselves that were not available at the last world cup in there. I would go as far as to say world class talent potentially at least.

Defensively I think the full back options we are decent, on the right especially we have never had so much talent with Walker, Trippier, Alexander Arnold, Bissaka and Reece James. But centre backs is pretty thread bare currently with the names you mention. Maguire is a goo centre back but not a great one. I do rate Gomez highly to, but beyond that? JOhn Stones has gone backwards from overhyped, Mings has progressed well but isnt International level, Tuanzabe hasnt progressed at all due to injuries....Miheal Keane, Tarkowski have even been getting games which says it all. Of the younger ones you mention very early days with Tomori and I like all the Norwich defenders, think the premiership was a year to soon for them. I do think Godfrey has promise but they are still a million miles away from the right level for international football top sides.

Do agree with you in terms of our midfield. I think our main problem was a good playmaker at the last world cup and thankfully a fair few of those attackign players can provide us with that. Beyind Henderson who is decent there isnt much more though currently, though personally I think Rice is under rated by a lot of people and can perform that role for us moving forward. He is pretty much ideal for the type of player to be behind the attacking talent we have. But none of the others look much more currently anyway than decent yougnsters

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Think half the criticism of Kane is that he has been pretty poor the majority of this season, once he starts banging goals in that will soon stop again
That is assuming Tottenham can create the chances.

I was wondering whether it was the massively inflated transfer fees that has made the clubs focus more on their player development.

But I certainly agree that for England, the future looks much more promising.