"A quagmire of mediocrity" - anonymous member of staff at United

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Briefed
Still here then.

Just put him out of his misery and sack him already. He doesn't deserve to be humiliated vs Liverpool.

Last edited:

USREDEVIL

Sack and replace. Been here before. Who's next to lead this fantastic group of players to glory? Many of the players are shit and we can only replace so many at once. Apparently we've already cut too many off as we've had to dip into the "do not use" box.

De Gea, Pogba, Maguire and AWB. They have sufficient quality, although not entirely consistent. Many are at best squad players (James, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Shaw, Dalot). Some need to play in a lower level of football, due to time or current quality (Lingard, Mata, Matic, Jones, Gomes, Chong, Young, Rojo, Pereira, Fred may not even be a footballer, not sure.)

With around 4 United-quality starting players there's little wonder why we are in this predicament, especially given the injuries.

Last edited:

Amerifan

Gotta love anonymous sources. They always say just what the journalist was hoping they’d say. Amazing coincidence, that.

RUCK4444

And so it begins... Another manager that will be sacked in our hunt for the manager with a magic wand to transform 6 years of shit transfers into a title challenging side for our impatient fanbase.

Except this time it's one of own being dragged through the mud, he feckin' bleeds red, a proper legend. If they let him go at least wait until a game or so after this weekend, don't let Ole go out to the Scousers, he despises them just as much as us. He deserves more than that. I don't care if that sounds blind loyalty, at the end of the day that is part of being a football supporter - I don't care if they batter us, don't do Ole like that.

I don't think Ole was ever going to be a real long term manager here and I agree he has been found wanting tactically, but you know what his signings have been the best we have made in the years since SAF retired and nobody can doubt his commitment and love for the club.

He wouldn't accept players not wanting to be here, he got rid of a big chunk of this deadwood and in my opinion he wouldn't have let as many attackers leave without assurances from Ed that another striker would come in the summer (despite what he says in interviews, Ole tows the line because he respects the club and the broader picture with the press to say otherwise.) These are traits we haven't had in previous managers since SAF.

My hope was that he would clear the decks and instill a bit of backbone into the side before handing over to a more accomplished manager and perhaps become part of the backroom staff. I hoped he would be the one to make steady progress, nothing overnight, but strengthen the side piece by piece with a steady head and the right ethos.

A lot will be begging for him to get the sack but won't even remotely have an idea of who we should then bring in to replace him, not to mention the huge backing new managers demand from us. I mean who is available that will turn this team of sicknotes and teenagers into a top four side?
Would Pep or Klopp even achieve that with this squad in its current state? I very much doubt it.

We used to be a classy club once upon a time.

fallengt

Tbf, if someone sees the problem but chooses to do nothing about it, he's part of the problem too.

Last edited:

ash_86

Jobs for the boys. Woodward, Judge and Arnold are old friends from Bristol Uni. All three also went on to work for PWC. Now they run United.
Nepotism running wild at United. No wonder we are worst run club

ash_86

Ole's own words prove this is bollocks. He has said many times now that there were players available and he didn't go for them as he wanted someone else. He has said many times now that it was his decision to let Lukaku go and not replace him. What does he need to say for you to not believe the PR stuff in this article.
What he says in the media is to save Woodward's face. He's not stupid to sell two of his attackers and get back none. This briefing is against Woodard which means it has actually come from someone close to Ole on what he really wanted.

el3mel

What he says in the media is to save Woodward's face. He's not stupid to sell two of his attackers and get back none. This briefing is against Woodard which means it has actually come from someone close to Ole on what he really wanted.
Well he might be stupid. What prevents this from being the truth? What prevents this leak from being Ole trying to save his face after the disastrous season? Woodward does the same all the time, why won't Ole do it too?

passing-wind

Some delusional comments on this page the foolishness of fans is astounding. If the club back Ole and give him hundreds of millions to spend where does the club end up ? Everyone's talking like Solskjaer is even a draw for talented players, if I'm a footballer and have the capabilities to play for a top four team why am I bothering to look at Ole as an inspiration for development ? We are trusting a manager who has got Cardiff relegated and the p45 the following season in the championship to somehow bridge the gap with Guardiola and Klopp.

Giving Ole time will eclipse the failures of Moyes, Jose and LVG. With time Ole will prove to be the worst manager to grace this club since Sir Alex retired, that is if he hasn't done so already. A calamitous decision to not part ways with him at the end of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29251627

2014:

"He presented a different vision for Cardiff compared with the defensive approach of his predecessor Malky Mackay"

"He may have promised a more exciting style, but under Solskjaer the Bluebirds slipped into the Premier League's bottom three for the first time and never recovered, finishing bottom"

It's funny how history repeats itself. An exact identical situation we face.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It’s not Ole ffs, it’s intensely irritating how the manager is always blamed. He’s not a top class manager but this goes WAY beyond him. Short term memories for some people who failed to notice we’ve been garbage under the three previous managers too.
Not sure what you're basing this on because Woodward and co and have been blamed nonstop on here.

Ole's a problem too though. The whole thing is a shitshow.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ole deserves to be sacked for continuously playing Rashford upfront despite him being useless on it versus him playing on the left.

Ed deserves to be sacked for yet again fecking up the club by picking a manager and not backing him with the funds.

Judge deserves to be sacked because he can't negotiate transfers at all.

downunder red

It’s not Ole ffs, it’s intensely irritating how the manager is always blamed. He’s not a top class manager but this goes WAY beyond him. Short term memories for some people who failed to notice we’ve been garbage under the three previous managers too. People think that just getting the next hot prospect coach in will magically solve everything, it won’t. In fact, good managers are smart enough to stay away, such as Klopp, who turned us down because he could see what a shambles the whole club is. Any top manager would avoid this club like the plague. Poisoned chalice is too kind of a description. I hope Ole leaves just to save him from this godawful, hateful fanbase to be honest. He doesn’t deserve it.
Spot on!

Sir Scott McToMinay

Ole deserves to be sacked for continuously playing Rashford upfront despite him being useless on it versus him playing on the left.

Ed deserves to be sacked for yet again fecking up the club by picking a manager and not backing him with the funds.

Judge deserves to be sacked because he can't negotiate transfers at all.
Well it’s either Rashford or the 17 year old Greenwood, there ain’t no one else we can play up top.

The entire medical team deserves to be sacked because we’ve been through these injury crisis periods for far too long now, every goddamn season, every player who comes here instantly turns into a crock.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well it’s either Rashford or the 17 year old Greenwood, there ain’t no one else we can play up top.

The medical team deserve to be sacked because we’ve been through this injury crises for far too long now, every goddamn season.
Well, play Greenwood than.

Did everyone forgot how Rashford broke through in the first place? It's ridiculous how people thinks Ole is right in persisting with Rashford being utterly useless upfront. We're basically playing with 10 men every game when he's doing feck all the entire time.

He literally can't be worse than Rashford.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I know Ole has not done a great job up till now, but seeing Ed Woodward, a man who has brought nothing but disaster to this club, throw a genuine legend under the bus in this way, is rather aggravating.

Is there no level to which Ed won't stoop to save his own neck. He is a cowardly dickhead.
This!!!!

Ole isn’t a good enough manager for us especially in this situation but Woodward and Judge need to get the feck away from anything even remotely football related from now on. They’ve destroyed us.

ryansgirl

It`s good to read this thread to balance out the hysteria, sniping at our manager, assertions and just plain fairweatherisms of some caf posters revelling in apocalyptic drama. Some of us remember the Tommy Docherty era although I was very young, others have supported Manchester United longer than that and we don`t believe in the continual sledging of our manager and the decent personnel/players.

That is different from the very real frustration of genuine supporters who still manage to look at what is going on like people who are there for their team at all times.

Some caf posters need to run off to the Blue side - although now since they`re being beaten by the like os Wolves, maybe not - and Liverpool. You have the right to give your sniping, whingeing and in a few cases hateful opinions but do us a favour and don`t pretend you resemble a Manchester United supporter there for the good times and the bad times.

You`re immature no matter how old you are - you were jumping up and down in delight and behaving as if you had personally steered United to its glorious roll of success under Sir Alex. You only sing when United are winning, you are gutless in some of the things you write under anonymity on the net, you throw tantrums when our club is going through a bad period. Guess what - the down periods have always been there and United got through them along with the genuine supporters.

I and a lot of others don`t only support our club and decent people in it just when the going is good. That is why Ole has the support of more than you think and even if some don`t want him here at least give some opinions that sound as if they are coming from Manchester United supporters - not nasty, hysterical spoilt children who want everything easy when nothing is.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And so it begins... Another manager that will be sacked in our hunt for the manager with a magic wand to transform 6 years of shit transfers into a title challenging side for our impatient fanbase.

Except this time it's one of own being dragged through the mud, he feckin' bleeds red, a proper legend. If they let him go at least wait until a game or so after this weekend, don't let Ole go out to the Scousers, he despises them just as much as us. He deserves more than that. I don't care if that sounds blind loyalty, at the end of the day that is part of being a football supporter - I don't care if they batter us, don't do Ole like that.

I don't think Ole was ever going to be a real long term manager here and I agree he has been found wanting tactically, but you know what his signings have been the best we have made in the years since SAF retired and nobody can doubt his commitment and love for the club.

He wouldn't accept players not wanting to be here, he got rid of a big chunk of this deadwood and in my opinion he wouldn't have let as many attackers leave without assurances from Ed that another striker would come in the summer (despite what he says in interviews, Ole tows the line because he respects the club and the broader picture with the press to say otherwise.) These are traits we haven't had in previous managers since SAF.

My hope was that he would clear the decks and instill a bit of backbone into the side before handing over to a more accomplished manager and perhaps become part of the backroom staff. I hoped he would be the one to make steady progress, nothing overnight, but strengthen the side piece by piece with a steady head and the right ethos.

A lot will be begging for him to get the sack but won't even remotely have an idea of who we should then bring in to replace him, not to mention the huge backing new managers demand from us. I mean who is available that will turn this team of sicknotes and teenagers into a top four side?
Would Pep or Klopp even achieve that with this squad in its current state? I very much doubt it.

We used to be a classy club once upon a time.
Good post, man. For all his setbacks, he's done what other managers were failed: buying good players (albeit expensive) with the right mentality, and getting rid of the deadwoods (except Smalling, which I still disagreed).

Dansk

This squad is not mediocre. It's not great either, but given what we've seen these players do in the past, we should be comfortably in the top six at an absolute bare minimum. Until we sold Lukaku and brought no replacement, I'd go so far as to say that we had the 4th best squad on paper based on the overall careers of the players. We have (or recently had) about ten players who were at times considered among the best in the world in their positions, or the world's biggest upcoming talents.

DDG was widely regarded as the world's #1 keeper for quite some time, Pogba was the world's most promising midfielder until he returned to us, Sanchez was world class for periods, Mata has been the prem's best player for at least a season or two at Chelsea, and people were astonished that they let one of their key players in Matic go to a league rival. Martial and Rashford were setting the prem on fire in their debut seasons. Lukaku was scoring for fun at Everton and for Belgium, second only to Harry Kane at the WC 2018. One could mention several more players who have left, such as Di Maria. Zlatan did well for one season before it utterly fell apart. Schweinsteiger forgot how to play football the moment he arrived. The list goes on. Something causes players to lose everything they had when they get here.

These are not mediocre players. They, like just about everybody else, abruptly became shit after arriving at United. Well, less aburpt wrt. DDG for whom it took some years to succumb to whatever poison they're putting in the club cafeteria's food. Whatever the cause may be, it's beyond dispute that something at MUFC is causing players to become shit. And the managers, too. It remains a mystery to me what could possibly be doing this to them, but one cannot say that this is just their level. We've seen that it isn't.

If you invite ten people to a dinner party and they all get sick the next day, only an absolute imbecile would say "I need friends who don't get sick." A sensible person would scrutinize their own cooking. For all we know, this anonymous staff member could be part of the rot and eager to deflect the blame. There are certainly parts of our squad who aren't of the expected caliber, but there are at least as many who have proven in the past that they are, and they'll probably bounce right back the moment they decide to give up on United.

Last edited:

Devil may care

It`s good to read this thread to balance out the hysteria, sniping at our manager, assertions and just plain fairweatherisms of some caf posters revelling in apocalyptic drama. Some of us remember the Tommy Docherty era although I was very young, others have supported Manchester United longer than that and we don`t believe in the continual sledging of our manager and the decent personnel/players.

That is different from the very real frustration of genuine supporters who still manage to look at what is going on like people who are there for their team at all times.

Some caf posters need to run off to the Blue side - although now since they`re being beaten by the like os Wolves, maybe not - and Liverpool. You have the right to give your sniping, whingeing and in a few cases hateful opinions but do us a favour and don`t pretend you resemble a Manchester United supporter there for the good times and the bad times.

You`re immature no matter how old you are - you were jumping up and down in delight and behaving as if you had personally steered United to its glorious roll of success under Sir Alex. You only sing when United are winning, you are gutless in some of the things you write under anonymity on the net, you throw tantrums when our club is going through a bad period. Guess what - the down periods have always been there and United got through them along with the genuine supporters.

I and a lot of others don`t only support our club and decent people in it just when the going is good. That is why Ole has the support of more than you think and even if some don`t want him here at least give some opinions that sound as if they are coming from Manchester United supporters - not nasty, hysterical spoilt children who want everything easy when nothing is.
Careful, you might get dizzy all the way up there on your high horse. The true supporters stuff is nonsense, true supporters want what is best for the club, not supporting individuals at the club and not just mindlessly going along with their heads in the clouds while the Titanic sinks.

No one needs to be nasty or dramatic, if you are simply realistic you know Woodward needs to be jettisoned, into space if possible, but I'd settle for back to the marketing department, and an experienced DOF needs to come in, we have known this for ages. However Ole needs to go as well, he's miles out of his depth, that's not mean it's reality, and the sooner it's realized the better it'll be for everyone as no one likes seeing him sitting there looking defeated and clueless every week.

ryansgirl

If we keep on Carrick and McKenna for the next Manager then we're really not learning our lesson. Time for a complete redesign, sorry chaps but you've had ample opportunity to get this right and it's not all down to Ole.
Absolutely. I have always liked Michael Carrick and enjoyed his style of play but why was he given a first squad coaching job at Manchester United? What had he done elsewhere to justify that? We need two new coaches that wil come in and cast a cold eye at everything and at least one of them should be European.

ryansgirl

Careful, you might get dizzy all the way up there on your high horse. The true supporters stuff is nonsense, true supporters want what is best for the club, not supporting individuals at the club and not just mindlessly going along with their heads in the clouds while the Titanic sinks.

No one needs to be nasty or dramatic, if you are simply realistic you know Woodward needs to be jettisoned, into space if possible, but I'd settle for back to the marketing department, and an experienced DOF needs to come in, we have known this for ages. However Ole needs to go as well, he's miles out of his depth, that's not mean it's reality, and the sooner it's realized the better it'll be for everyone as no one likes seeing him sitting there looking defeated and clueless every week.
Fine but nowhere did I say true supporters go or want to go mindlessly along with whatever is happening. It is clear from looking around at the caf that there are so called supporters here who have tagged along for the glory times but have no idea of this club`s history and when another rocky period happens they resort to hysteria, childish whingeing, sniping and in some cases nastiness and even hate.

No - they do not fit a reasonable definition of genuine supporters. I think it was clear I was referring to those kinds of people. Their sense of entitlement is pathetic - slagging off people like Ole doing a job they could never begin to comprehend because he can`t control some circumstances and had the guts and drive to take on this challenge amid the nonsense generated post-Sir Alex Ferguson.

Sledging him and the decent players because United looks nowhere near to getting top four for now and maybe for a few years. Whingeing and going into hysterics because United is going through a rocky transitional phase for a number of reasons, spitting their dummies because United are far from title contenders. Clearly they are not here to support this club.

They need to run off to Liverpool.

Last edited:

ash_86

Well he might be stupid. What prevents this from being the truth? What prevents this leak from being Ole trying to save his face after the disastrous season? Woodward does the same all the time, why won't Ole do it too?
Because Ole is not classless.

ryansgirl

This squad is not mediocre. It's not great either, but given what we've seen these players do in the past, we should be comfortably in the top six at an absolute bare minimum. Until we sold Lukaku and brought no replacement, I'd go so far as to say that we had the 4th best squad on paper based on the overall careers of the players. We have (or recently had) about ten players who were at times considered among the best in the world in their positions, or the world's biggest upcoming talents.

DDG was widely regarded as the world's #1 keeper for quite some time, Pogba was the world's most promising midfielder until he returned to us, Sanchez was world class for periods, Mata has been the prem's best player for at least a season or two at Chelsea, and people were astonished that they let one of their key players in Matic go to a league rival. Martial and Rashford were setting the prem on fire in their debut seasons. Lukaku was scoring for fun at Everton and for Belgium, second only to Harry Kane at the WC 2018. One could mention several more players who have left, such as Di Maria. Zlatan did well for one season before it utterly fell apart. Schweinsteiger forgot how to play football the moment he arrived. The list goes on. Something causes players to lose everything they had when they get here.

These are not mediocre players. They, like just about everybody else, abruptly became shit after arriving at United. Well, less aburpt wrt. DDG for whom it took some years to succumb to whatever poison they're putting in the club cafeteria's food. Whatever the cause may be, it's beyond dispute that something at MUFC is causing players to become shit. And the managers, too. It remains a mystery to me what could possibly be doing this to them, but one cannot say that this is just their level. We've seen that it isn't.

If you invite ten people to a dinner party and they all get sick the next day, only an absolute imbecile would say "I need friends who don't get sick." A sensible person would scrutinize their own cooking. For all we know, this anonymous staff member could be part of the rot and eager to deflect the blame. There are certainly parts of our squad who aren't of the expected caliber, but there are at least as many who have proven in the past that they are, and they'll probably bounce right back the moment they decide to give up on United.
Great post. An element of it is the lack of characters and leadership in the dressing room.

Under Sir Alex even David Beckham had leadership qualities in that he was prepared to listen to the talkers in the dressing room but did he ever lead by example on the pitch.

I thought Jose shouldn`t have been sacked and allowed to see out the end of his contract but a considerable amount of the rot is due to his buying players with no leadership qualities and no feel for the club. Look at his captains - nothing resembling what United captains were under Sir Alex and in the club`s history. Look at Sanchez, an almost criminal waste of money that could have been spent on somebody who could step up now.

Sadly a decent man and player like Juan Mata who gets United is past it - seeing him miss clear chances this year is painful to watch.

Devil may care

Fine but nowhere did I say true supporters go or want to go mindlessly along with whatever is happening. It is clear from looking around at the caf that there are so called supporters here who have tagged along for the glory times but have no idea of this club`s history and when another rocky period happens they resort to hysteria, childish whingeing, sniping and in some cases nastiness and even hate.

No - they do not fit a reasonable definition of genuine supporters. I think it was clear I was referring to those kinds of people. Their sense of entitlement is pathetic - slagging off people like Ole doing a job they could never begin to comprehend because he can`t control some circumstances and had the guts and drive to take on this challenge amid the nonsense generated post-Sir Alex Ferguson.

Sledging him and the decent players because United looks nowhere near to getting top four for now and maybe for a few years. Whingeing and going into hysterics because United is going through a rocky transitional phase for a number of reasons, spitting their dummies because United are far from title contenders. Clearly they are not here to support this club.

They need to run off to Liverpool.
See I don't think you can sit judging other fans, we are seeing emotional posts from people because they care, they are angry and worried about what is happening, we aren't just off the pace for top 6, we are heading towards bottom 6, and this transition has been going on for 7 years and it's not going aywhere and never will because of Woodward and the Glazers, while they are here the rot wont stop.

None of that deflects from the tactical ineptitude we are seeing week in and week out or the dreadful performances we are seeing from most of the players, anyone with common sense can see this is not a great squad but the performances are relegaion fodder level and that is unacceptable, we play like we are strangers, we simply don't look coached in movement and patterns of play.

ryansgirl

See I don't think you can sit judging other fans, we are seeing emotional posts from people because they care, they are angry and worried about what is happening, we aren't just off the pace for top 6, we are heading towards bottom 6, and this transition has been going on for 7 years and it's not going aywhere and never will because of Woodward and the Glazers, while they are here the rot wont stop.

None of that deflects from the tactical ineptitude we are seeing week in and week out or the dreadful performances we are seeing from most of the players, anyone with common sense can see this is not a great squad but the performances are relegaion fodder level and that is unacceptable, we play like we are strangers, we simply don't look coached in movement and patterns of play.
Yes and your way of writing is that of a Manchester United supporter, there is a clear difference between this and some of the posts of the fairweather, clueless about United`s managerial and other history, only there in the good times, screeching, spiteful drama queens on the caf. I`m not saying they are in the majority on the caf but they clearly need to run off and support the next big thing.

hn4manunited

Great post. An element of it is the lack of characters and leadership in the dressing room.

Under Sir Alex even David Beckham had leadership qualities in that he was prepared to listen to the talkers in the dressing room but did he ever lead by example on the pitch.

I thought Jose shouldn`t have been sacked and allowed to see out the end of his contract but a considerable amount of the rot is due to his buying players with no leadership qualities and no feel for the club. Look at his captains - nothing resembling what United captains were under Sir Alex and in the club`s history. Look at Sanchez, an almost criminal waste of money that could have been spent on somebody who could step up now.

Sadly a decent man and player like Juan Mata who gets United is past it - seeing him miss clear chances this year is painful to watch.
still not convinced they are all Jose’s signings. The following insight from LVG regarding player recruitment and acquisitions is interesting and could explain some of the signings in both LVG’s and Jose’s stints.

I reread this interview again, in light of troubles and the following passages resonated:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nterview-buy-players-rooney-tactics-solskjaer

What is the problem at Manchester United now?

The problem begins with, of course, that Manchester United was never refreshed. I think when you are a manager you have to refresh every year to keep the team-building process going.

You brought in players. You tried to refresh.

Yes, but I didn’t always get the players that I want. That’s the problem. There is Woodward and his right hand is [head of corporate development] Matt Judge. Judge I met once in a while but not too much. And there was the head of scouting. That was the structure but you are always dependent on Woodward and Judge.

Did they not take your advice?

I thought always Manchester United can buy every player because they have a lot of power. Seemingly a few players were not reachable for Manchester United. I cannot understand but it was like that

Ángel Di María, was he your choice?

Di María was my choice at AZ, seven years before.

He didn’t sign then. Did you want him for United? Were you happy that he came?

I was satisfied, because he was a creative player, but I had other players on the list. Di María had a problem with the English football culture and the climate. You cannot buy players and know, for sure, that they can deliver. You cannot know because football is a team sport.

Do you have any regrets about your time with Manchester United?

No. The way they sacked me was terrible. But I like my time in England, because of the culture, because of the people. A lot of humour and always supporting the manager. I have respect for everybody I worked with.

You said you don’t understand why United have a lot of money and won’t always pay for players. Is that because the Glazers didn’t want to pay?

I don’t know. Woodward is the one who talks with the Glazers. I only talked with the Glazers when they were [attending] a game or training session. Mostly they attend top matches and fortunately we won a lot of these top matches, in any case against Liverpool.

What does it take to be a perfect technical director or director of football?

First of all you need knowledge of the game, methods of training, preparation experience, youth education, scouting and you have to think in structures. So you need a lot of experience in the football world. When you are in your profession as a technical director, you have developed a name, then you have a big network and you can always make use of that network.

One person United are interested in to become technical director is Rio Ferdinand. What do you think about this? He was a good player, obviously.

As a good player, you’re not a good manager or you’re not a good technical director. It’s more or less what is happening now with [Ole Gunnar] Solskjær, ex-players, old boys’ network. It’s not always a good choice. It can be but it’s not always a good choice.

Were you surprised that Solskjær was given the job permanently?

I was very surprised he got it in spite of the winning run at the start.

Why?

Because Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world that needs a manager with experience and not a manager who has trained at one or two teams and on a lower level.

If you had a blank canvas, how long would it take to sort United out?

The trouble is that you cannot demand so much time. And the fans do not allow that. Also with Solskjær, they shall demand in spite of him being an ex-player. In the football world you have to deliver. However as an ex-player you always have more credit.

Is it almost impossible then to succeed at these big clubs, at United? I remember your first press conference, you basically said ‘it’s too much commercial, this club’.

I’m happy that you remember that. I think you have to change the structure in the organisation of Manchester United because now I think the balance between the football department and commercial department is not right and even slopes over to the commercial.

What do you mean by that?

What I have experienced is that I must go to the USA before the season and we have to play a lot of matches in a short time. That is a good commercial preparation but not the best for me as a football manager. Everybody was happy except me, because in the USA we won everything, but the first match in the league was a loss: Swansea. That is because every player was exhausted. When you have to start like that, that’s not good.

In scouting players, Manchester United don’t have the organisation to deliver the best players in my opinion. Then with the education of players, you cannot say that the education of Manchester United is very good. How many players are coming through?

With Manchester United, you have a fantastic performance department and that is under the guidance of the doctor. But this performance department needs also the guidance of an experienced technical director. You have to use that department not only for the first team but also intensively for the youth education. Then young players are more educated in the philosophy of Man United and the big step to the first team is much easier. These are the important aspects that you have to develop as a technical director.

I saw as Manchester United manager that the quality of the players of City, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal was better. So what can I do? We were attacking. We were not defending and we were looking for tactical solutions adapted to the level of our players. For example we were provoking space and that was new in England. I think six months ago [Jürgen] Klopp has also seen the light because in former days he was always pressing.

ryansgirl

still not convinced they are all Jose’s signings. The following insight from LVG regarding player recruitment and acquisitions is interesting and could explain some of the signings in both LVG’s and Jose’s stints.
Thanks very much for that. Puts it all in perspective, doesn`t it? Interesting about the faceless Matt Judge. Clearly people like that in our club shouldn`t be making footballing decisions.

I know Ole`s limitations but I think it would be just another unstable episode to sack him before he has had at least two transfer windows to bring in better players. I don`t understand the logic of the Pochettino pushers declaring he needs some years to build a team but won`t give Ole less time.

Especially good point there from LVG about a Football Director and the expertise they need including networks. That should rule out people like Rio etc. It`s the same issue with the coaches - can somebody please answer my question as to how Michael Carrick can be coaching much as I like him?

oz insomniac

The Woodward fanboys on the forum really need to read what LVG has said, this underlines that the structure is out of line with what is needed in the current EPL, and is a negative to success. LVG has given an honest appraisal of the obvious issues that have a negative impact at United, the indication that Judge and Woodwqrd have the final say in recruitment is mind boggling, as with no football experince they are undoubtedly the football gurus of the club.

Things need to change and quickly, a successful football brain like LVG has set out the problems, will the Glazers and their lackey acknowledge them and act.

Foxbatt

Ole didn't want another Dybala, who was available yes to a degree, but he really didn't want to be at United or seem to be there for the long haul relative to the wages/fee to get him to play at United. For example, they'll wait for Maddison if the situation is real. Same with Sancho. But what they should be doing is signing players who can provide PL quality and depth/fringe starting XI players like Ryan Fraser or even Andros Townsend.
Interesting that different people can make out different conclusions from the same article.
I think the OP meant that we should not have waited to sign Sancho etc if they are not available. We should have signed players who are better than what we have. I can tell you that there are lots of players who are better than Young, Matic, Mata, Pereira, Rojo, Bailly, Lingard. Any decent player we bring in would be better than this list. And they won't be expensive either.
So why the hell didn't Ole buy any other players? I am sure the Board would have bought them because these kinds of players don't cost an arm and a leg. I feel it's Ole who has decided this British young players thing. They are not that good and of course cost a lot more. For Woodward it's the cost that's he is interested in.
So Ole has no take the entire responsibility for this fiasco. Top players are not going to come to play for Ole.

Sterling Archer

This all hurts my heart. I love Ole, as a player as the interim manager. He literally lifted us out of the depths of the season.

But he was never good enough for the full time. Its feckin awful seeing it unfold like this. He should have left on a high, gone on to make his mark whether for better or worse at another club. Real shame to see a club Legend be in this position. Can't fault him for loving the club and wanting to be great here. I can blame the guy that hired him, in oh so stupid fashion yet again.

Denis79

Beginning of the end when fingers are pointed from within the club.

Eric7C

Gotta love anonymous sources. They always say just what the journalist was hoping they’d say. Amazing coincidence, that.
Are ye Trump? Plenty of reasons for sources to remain anonymous.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole's camp had leaked the first firing shots. Don’t take me wrong judge seems incompetent however Someone should ask them why the great manager couldn't find an alternative to longstaff and can't even defeat Newcastle.