"A quagmire of mediocrity" - anonymous member of staff at United

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Bastian, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Oct 8, 2019

AneRu Full Member

I certainly won't be but I think bringing in a DOF could sort of help him get away with the Ole debacle. If the new DOF comes in he is most likely to want to get rid of Ole, if he is any good at what he does. Woodward can then brief the media clearing himself as only giving the new man the latitude to implement his own plan. Anything less could see the fans revolting against the Glazers and under enough pressure they will cut him loose.
  2. Oct 8, 2019

George The Best Full Member

I’m with you mate. Just been no sign that Ed wants to relinquish any control, therefore the responsibility for our demise sits firmly with him imo.
  3. Oct 8, 2019

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Should this be the case, Judge should be sacked before Ole. In fact, he should no longer be in a job.
  4. Oct 8, 2019

Jaqen H'ghar I can't drive...55

Manchester united is the most supported English team outside of England. A weak Manchester United devalues the EPL, so I don't think the TV deal doubling soon.
  5. Oct 8, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

It might increase with Netflix and Amazon prime etc wanting to get in on the streaming market.
  6. Oct 8, 2019

I get what you're saying, but you're going after the symptom, not the disease. You can't just get rid of Ole and pray for the best. Whatever happens next should be part of a plan.

If the conditions that allow for random appointment of managers and mediocre players are not changed any manager that comes is going to look out of depth.
  7. Oct 8, 2019

I hadn't thought of those.

Edit: off topic, but I'm in the middle east, and bein sport who own the TV rights also own streaming rights. Streaming subscription is much cheaper than TV, but not very popular

I think if streaming rights are going to be separate from TV rights, then TV rights would be worth less.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  8. Oct 9, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Amazon in particular can outbid anyone if they really want to.
  9. Oct 9, 2019

I added an edit above.

It's all speculation and could go either way,
  10. Oct 9, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Don't think they will be separate. And with Smart TVs becoming more and more mainstream there is not long before streaming will take over for regular TV channels and networks.
  11. Oct 9, 2019

nainaisson New Member

This is nothing compared to what will come out after Ole is sacked. Wait for the character assassination pieces that always accompany a manager's sacking. That's when Woodward really shines as the shamelessly cynical scumbag that he is.
  12. Oct 9, 2019

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Yep they held out for a few extra million which is all they care about.
  13. Oct 9, 2019

We don't know who leaked the story, so any attempts to infer motive is just speculation.

I wasn't thrilled about it, and thought Mourinho undermining everyone was counterproductive. He's a good coach, but public confrontation is rarely the best option. But that's justcclassical Mourinho.

Each manager has his methods, and temperament. I think it's unfair to hold it against Ole that he tried to keep a United front.

I just think that until Woodward, Judge, et al are gone anything else is lipstick on a pig.
  14. Oct 9, 2019

No way. You'll never convince me that journalists embellish and make things up. Least of all sports journalists.
  15. Oct 9, 2019

Paolo Di Canio "we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"

I do feel our coaching department is full of too many novices, Carrick, Mckenna..the only one with a bit of experiance is Phealen.

We are not in a phase where we can have apprentices so to speak.
  16. Oct 9, 2019

roseguy64 Full Member

I'm not sure how we can judge the quality of Carrick's coaching when the squad is playing badly with 3 more experienced coaches ahead of him in the pecking order, Solskjaer, McKenna and Phelan. All three have had some level of success and should be the ones doing the majority of the work. So why the focus on Carrick?

It's similar to something I saw recently when someone was casting Lee Grant in with Matic and Young as symbols of the malaise. How is the 3rd choice goalie anything to do with the performance of the team? He never plays and is there as HG spot and to allow the talented young goalies to go out on loan instead of hanging around waiting for injuries to Romero and De Gea to get developmental minutes.
  17. Oct 9, 2019

roseguy64 Full Member

Woodward is clearly sticking too closely to what he saw from Gill and Ferguson. That was the situation he came into the club and saw and isn't willing to bite the bullet and try what everybody else is doing.
  18. Oct 9, 2019

roseguy64 Full Member

Carrick is not the assistant manager. The vastly experienced Phelan is. We definitely had alternatives to Longstaff. The manager just didn't like them.
  19. Oct 9, 2019

el3mel Full Member

My point is it simply makes no sense to defend the manager by blaming the board fully for it when that said manager defends this in public and says he's happy with it either because :

1) he actually agrees to the board strategy
    or
    2)he was forced to this but didn't complain and is just happy to stick around to not lost a job he never dreamt to get even the board is fecking up the team for him.

Both situations don't deserve any defense for the manager as he didn't help his case and he's as to blame for the end result as the board. I think that's kinda logical.
  20. Oct 9, 2019

Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær Lutefisk is it!

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    We're not going to shift any mediocre players with Woodward in charge. His ego is too big to accept taking a loss on all of his ignorant purchases.
  21. Oct 9, 2019

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

I am not putting the blame squarely on Ole. No one is. However don't tell me that even with the present squad we should be in such a mess. Don't tell me that we should be struggling to beat Newcastle, Rochdale and Astana.

Ole is simply out of depth. His tactics are nearly non existent, he has no plan b and his reluctance to watch outside the EPL means that the massive rebuild we need is going to be extremely expensive if not impossible . This guy couldn't hack it at Cardiff. Its evident that United is far too big to him.

So let's do the necessary restructuring by starting in appointing Mou's successor. 18 months of non management is simply too much
  22. Oct 9, 2019

So the manager couldn't come out with an alternative to the great longstaff? It was either him or no one sort of thing?

Also what was this vastly experienced assistant doing prior to United's appointment. Cause if he was rotting in some small club in let's say Australia then rather then an experience he is more of a dinasour
  23. Oct 9, 2019

Hawks2008 Full Member

These leaks have happened with every coach since Sir Alex retired and Carrick has been a constant throughout this time. Always felt it was a very senior player leaking during LVG tenure and now it comes from a member of the coaching staff allegedly. Not hard to believe he has a few friends in the media either.
  24. Oct 9, 2019

NewGlory New Member

+1
  25. Oct 9, 2019

redIndianDevil Full Member

The only mistake that the board/Woodward does from my point of view is not appointing decent managers and a DoF, they have spent money(not crazily like the middle east owners), if by luck they manage to get a good manager, I'm pretty sure they'd back them if the said manager shows some improvement.
  26. Oct 9, 2019

Bobcat Full Member

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
    • Klopp and Guardiola are proably the best modern managers in this age. Any manager will look poor in comparison
    • The difference between the squads and club structure between us and them is massive. Granted the squad Klopp inherited was not full of world beaters, but at least it was functioning and had decent cover in most positions
    • I never said Ole transformed the squad overnight, but i just think its incredibly strange we went from complete shit (Jose's last run), to amazing, to complete shit again in the span of a couple of months. Why? Did Ole tell them to stop doing what was working and start doing something that was not?
    • His tactics is something like this:
    • And no, we dont create loads, we really struggle to create, but that does not change the fact that we seem to miss at least one or two huge chances every single game. Most of this imo is down to Pogba and Martial being out, but also Rashford being utterly gash for pretty much the whole season.

No we should not, but the manager coaches the players, picks the squad and sets them up, but once the ref blows the whistle, there is really not much he can do other than bark orders at them and make subs. Of course armchair managers with the power of hindsight can sit and say that "x player should have played when y was terrible", but what i saw in all those games were players who were hiding, fecked up basic stuff, took zero responsibility (with the exception of McTomminay) and displayed a shocking lack of ability considering the wages we pay them. For reference, James has looked like our best attacker this season and he played in the Championship last year. That is pretty damning for our supposed "star players" if you ask me

And the plan B stuff that gets thrown around is not really a big deal imo. Klopp and Pep are purists, they dont have a plan B. Most plan B's are really just putting a big guy up front and playing long/high, but we dont have the personnel for that since only Pogba can hit those passes and we dont have a big, bulky CF (we had, but he was awful at that)

To be perfectly honest, i dont oppose a change in managers as long as we get someone with a long term vision, but considering our last 6 years i honestly dont think a change in managers will do us much good in the long term. This season we have conceded only 0.60 goals pr game on average, which is one of the best defensive records in Europe. Once we get Martial/Pogba back and Rashford remembers to play football i am confident many of those 0-1 losses and 0-0 draws will turn into wins

I want to see what we do in the January window. If we get no one and still look as dire as we do now, then he has to go, but until then my torch and pitchfork stays in my shed
  27. Oct 9, 2019

We all know what a top manager can do to a side. We had Sir Alex for more than 2 decades. So let's cut the BS shall we?

There is nothing to be ashamed of not being united level. 99.9% of people are on that sama boat. With football being modernised and roles being fragmented that rate is going higher by the minute. I dare to say that there is no one in football who is able to do the job sir Alex did. Its a 2-3 man job now

Which makes it silly to give it to an amateur manager who was out of depth even at cardiff
  28. Oct 9, 2019

You agree, if I understood your points correctly, that it's mainly the board at fault and Ole guilty at worst by association.

We gain nothing if a manager comes in and publicly butts heads with the board, the board will win every time.

Serious question:, say Ole was sacked today, What next?

By the way, how should I pronounce your username, is it العميل or العامل?
  29. Oct 9, 2019

David Moyes got only Fellini in the transfer window, then Mata in winter. There's another thread around here from an interview where LvG is complaining he wasn't fully backed. Mourinho voiced his grievances while he was still manager. This board hasn't backed the managers.

They've spent money but very unwisely. Fellini for more than his release clause, Herrera, it took them 2 windows to pay a release clause. Now he leaves on a free. Almost every player we've bought they've paid more than market value, high wages, and so struggle to move on useless players. They're even paying Sanchez to play somewhere else. This board is a joke.
  30. Oct 9, 2019

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Same applies to the right wing targers. Sancho or Nobody.
  31. Oct 9, 2019

Ole is surely longstaffing united badly
  32. Oct 9, 2019

Greck Full Member

What does 'wasn't backed' mean in LVG's case? Let's talk specifics instead of using that buzz phrase. LVG said he thought we could sign any player which anyone who had been supporting United knew was never true even under Fergie. Players rejected us under SAF in huge numbers. We've never really been a sexy destination for continental footballers. Di Maria was the highest profile galactico we ever bought and he still found a way to complain about that. So what exactly did he want?

Jose I maintain to this day had to go. He wanted to employ a transfer policy no European club can continue to support. Even Madrid and City don't buy aging players. It's bonkers in the current market. The man is now on skysports for a reason and will be there for the foreseeable future. The football community knows his failings were his and his unemployment is their way of telling him that
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  33. Oct 9, 2019

That's not what they were promised. Ed has made ridiculous claims such as "We can do things in the market others can only dream about" and has continously claimed money is available if the right players became available.
  34. Oct 9, 2019

Greck Full Member

Honestly don't care what Ed says in investor calls. (Those were all said in investor calls). It's an opportunity to market the club to new investors and reassure the current ones of the club's welfare. Many people don't know this and think he's just calling some journos to his office to brag
  35. Oct 9, 2019

The club markets itself through achievement and fan base. It was a European powerhouse and the richest club in the world before he came here. It's neither now.

I'm not all that interested in the finances of the club. He and the Glazers can go do their thing, but I just want to see them appoint some competent football people to take care of football stuff.
  36. Oct 9, 2019

roseguy64 Full Member

I'm sure you can use Google or another search engine to find out what Phelan was doing.
  37. Oct 9, 2019

redshaw Full Member

In reality it was "We can do things in the transfer market others would have nightmares about".

Imagine you're running a PL club and you have a dream you spent 50 million pounds sterling on Fred from the Ukrainian league or you buy Rojo instead of Toby or Vertonghen or zillion other better players. Or you pay Bastian 200-250k a week who is overweight injured and past it before you even sign him.
  38. Oct 9, 2019

I did
  39. Oct 9, 2019

I'm not comparing Ole with Guardiola or Klopp, I'm saying even those managers took some time to implement their tactics, the initial run we had was never due to Ole because he never had the time to do any coaching, the good run was because the players finally felt unshackled from the negative atmosphere Mourinho created, it happens all the time with relegation fighting clubs - new crap manager comes in, suddenly the team plays well, escapes relegation and next year it's back to relegation fighting.

If you watch City or any other top team, you would see that their players miss so many good chances but still score goals because they create so many chances through good tactics, we create at best 1 or 2 chances and when our players fluffs that chance it looks like huge miss because that one or two are the only chances that we create the entire game.
  40. Oct 9, 2019

Moyes fecked up the transfer window because he was busy chasing Kroos and Fabregas for most of the transfer window and finally panicked and decided to buy Fellaini for more money. That car crash of a window was due to Moyes.

LvG was backed completely, we bought a bunch of players that he wanted and he simply couldn't coach the team properly or choose proper players.

Mourinho is an absolute cnut and has only time to voice his "grievances", he spent shitloads of money, he was the reason we bought in the useless Sanchez. He was rightly not backed in his last year, the only mistake the board made was not firing him after the Sevilla post match interview.