"A quagmire of mediocrity" - anonymous member of staff at United

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Simon Stone's piece on the BBC.

That quote is quite revealing. As is this follow up by Stone:

"This was a real quote, from a United staff member, to sum up what they thought of the current situation.
Solskjaer, it was stressed, was not to blame for this. It was just what the speaker felt was an honest assessment of the club's squad at the present time. Sources have told the BBC that Solskjaer's initial view after replacing Mourinho was that United needed to change nine players. So far, three have left and three more have come in."

The first comments from within that Ole was hung out to dry. It doesn't really excuse his appalling approach to games and the apparent inability to coach the team, but it does once again highlight the main problem at the club.

Stone goes on to say that the coaching staff knows too much is being asked of the youngsters. So this debunks two theories that have been peddled on the Caf: 1) that buying more players this window would have been disruptive and 2) that Ole planned to rely heavily on completely untested youngsters.

It's a bit of a shame the way Ole has played his cards though. He can't openly criticise anything at the club. I remember how he said we were a fantastically well run club once the malaise was back in full flow last season and now he needs an anonymous member of staff to tell it like it is.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Are we now entering this phase of a shit marriage where different parties start briefing just anybody to make sure they look somewhat innocent in all this shit?

red thru&thru

Are we now entering this phase of a shit marriage where different parties start briefing just anybody to make sure they look somewhat innocent in all this shit?
Yea, seems like it is coming to an end.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Woodward trying to PR himself clean and absolved of blame.

edcunited1878

So it's the same as Jose. They know the players aren't good enough and are trying to get in more, proven quality and mentally strong players. It shouldn't matter who the manager is, quality players should be shifted in and shite players not willing to provide useful depth (i.e. Jones, Rojo) on fair wages must be shifted out. Sanchez, Lukaku, Felliani, Herrera, Darmian - out. Maybe Matic is on his way out. But then Young and Mata should be right behind them. Only one of the 5 outs were replaced with a quality player (AWB for Darmian).

You really think Ole is some thick guy who doesn't know the required quality and mentality of a club like Manchester United? It should not take anyone from the media to say this but because it's all doom and gloom, it fits the narrative. It's appalling how so many people actually lay blame on Ole for the club's current plight. He has to start tinkering and show some tactical onus or else he won't be here come Summer 2020.

Ancient Of Days

So Longstaff was the only midfielder in the world that Ole could identify. After that we had to walk away when finding out that the asking price was too much and gave up trying for anyone else.

Poor Ole my heart bleeds!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's a bit of a shame the way Ole has played his cards though. He can't openly criticise anything at the club. I remember how he said we were a fantastically well run club once the malaise was back in full flow last season and now he needs an anonymous member of staff to tell it like it is.
There's wanting the best for the long term health of the club (i.e. shedding to light just how badly it's run and what needs to be done, in certain ways using the press). And then there's what Ole has done which is blind devotion.

In any case, the article highlights what we know. I don't think it changes the view that Ole has no tactical foundation or understanding of fluid systems to suit our team.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Face saving exercise. Fans are not asking for miracle.

Noone cares about top 4. Just play well, show some improvements.
You dont need major signings to beat Rochdale,Southamptom away, Astana,AZ and Newcastle away.
If things were so tight, why the hell he approve 80m for a defender ?

Its equally Ole's responsibility. He just cant escape from the criticism.

Sterling Archer

Sigh. I just want good football. I don't need trophies, I've seen plenty in my life as is. I just want the feeling of looking forward to every game, being pissed about some losses here and there, but always hopeful. This is really toxic. And it sucks.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There's wanting the best for the long term health of the club (i.e. shedding to light just how badly it's run and what needs to be done, in certain ways using the press). And then there's what Ole has done which is blind devotion.

In any case, the article highlights what we know. I don't think it changes the view that Ole has no tactical foundation or understanding of fluid systems to suit our team.
Agreed.

AneRu

Certainly seems so but the way this has been written I think Woodie is offering Judge to the wolves because Solskgear is his cross to carry, hard to see him emerging from the Ole failure unscathed.

Alemar

All I want is a manager who selects squad ON MERIT (disregarding any other factors such as age, wage, status etc whatsoever) and punishes severe underperformance by benching players/putting them on a transfer list.

Additionally, I want that a manager amends tactics/system if it doesn’t work (such as to stop playing Pogba as a DM, Rashford as a CF or Lingard as an AM if it doesn’t work).

Lastly, I would prefer that a manager works on basic stuff in training (aka taking corners or free kicks) - so that worst takers like Young and Rashford never come close to taking them.

Is is too much to ask?

steffyr2

How time flies! Only 1 year or so ago, we didn't need any players. Now we need 9. How many of those needs are because we got rid of players (6?) in the summer without getting replacements? Wow, what a surprise that that would be an issue.

Who exactly could possibly come out looking good from this? Not Ole (apparently is a suck-up to keep his job), not anyone on the board (clueless twits).

ash_86

Absolutely proves what I believed. We can bring back prime Fergie and he'd still finish mid table under Ed Woodward.

Greck

Nvm
Edit: seems I've mixed the OP's opinion and the actual quotes

Last edited:

izec

Absolutely proves what I believed. We can bring back prime Fergie and he'd still finish mid table under Ed Woodward.
Nah Fergie was a genius, he would comfortably be in the top 4, even with these cnuts.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That article is quite favorable towards Solskjær and puts the blame firmly with Matt Judge and his inability to negotiate and get deals done.

ash_86

I mean we have so much money to spend on the best staff in the world and still we end up with Matt Judge as our chief negotiator? Something is not right.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
This is Matt Judges intro on his LinkedIn profile, which reveals a lot.

About

Managing Manchester United's equity and debt capital structure - three equity offerings incl. the IPO, totalling over $450m; and three debt refinancings ($1bn+) - debt private placement, term-loan and RCF. Also player negotiations (transfers and playing contracts).

Prior to Man Utd; investment banking for 13 years, based in both Europe and Asia - Equity Offerings, M&A and VC/PE. Primary focus on TMT.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I mean we have so much money to spend on the best staff in the world and still we end up with Matt Judge as our chief negotiator?
And also unqualified management staff.

fergiesarmy1

That article is quite favorable towards Solskjær and puts the blame firmly with Matt Judge and his inability to negotiate and get deals done.
My thoughts as well

We’re shit, we know were shit and we’re gonna get to January and do something stupid.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This was the same squad that got Ole the job during the honeymoon phase. The only quagmire of mediocrity is in our management team. Buying new players won’t fix anything if they aren’t coached properly.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I think it's worth pointing out that you should read the actual article and not just the OP (Which is all I did initially.) The article and the few breadcrumbs that are strategically scattered throughout it suggest that something is bubbling up right now, I think Ole might make it to the Liverpool game but dude is definitely a goner once we get spanked.

Edit: And Matt Judge is fecked