A question for American sports viewers

Carolina Red

Staff
If the breaks are natural like in baseball it makes sense. The NFL creates rediculous extra breaks and its ruining the product. I like football. There is so much strategy that it's great that they have a bit of time after each play to discuss what is happening but its dragged out to long. I watch some small college games that don't have as many as breaks and I find it more entertaining.
There’s a point here. I also think college football is the superior version to watch.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Cal v Stanford at Cal.
Purdue v Iowa at Purdue.
A few Navy games, at Navy.
ND v Navy at Ravens stadium.
I think that’s it.
Did a few NFL games too but the college ones were a far better experience.

Carolina Red

Staff
Cal v Stanford at Cal.
Purdue v Iowa at Purdue.
A few Navy games, at Navy.
ND v Navy at Ravens stadium.
I think that’s it.
Did a few NFL games too but the college ones were a far better experience.
Great experience there. I tried to have that be 4 years of my life, it just didn’t pan out. The Midshipman get that place going.

Carolina Red

Staff
Gratuitous example of why college football is the greater spectacle...

Gives me goosebumps every time I see this. At Death Valley or when I’m watching on tv!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I just don’t know how to get into college football. No locational allegiance as from the UK, don’t know much about any teams or coaches, relatively confusing system... I have always wanted to get into it, but just don’t know how to start.

Carolina Red

Staff
I just don’t know how to get into college football. No locational allegiance as from the UK, don’t know much about any teams or coaches, relatively confusing system... I have always wanted to get into it, but just don’t know how to start.
Pull for Clemson.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Watch the big games in top conferences. The big 3 at the moment are SEC, Big 12 and Big 10. The Big 12 has 10 teams and the Big 10 has 14 teams. Then watch any matchup where both teams are in the top 25.

Carolina Red

Staff
Watch the big games in top conferences. The big 3 at the moment are SEC, Big 12 and Big 10. The Big 12 has 10 teams and the Big 10 has 14 teams. Then watch any matchup where both teams are in the top 25.
@rpitroda - when you do this plan, that team in orange with the Tiger paw that keeps beating teams from those conferences... that’s Clemson.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why are they called the Big 12 and Big 10?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Pac 8 from 1964-1978, then Pac 10 from 1978-2010 then Pac 12 from 2010-Present. They actually changed their name when they changed the number of schools.
Are they considered lesser than the first lot you mentioned? i.e. are the Colorado Buffaloes a lower tier?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's ill advised to watch games between a top 25 team and unranked teams, it's generally a butchery.

MarylandMUFan

It's ill advised to watch games between a top 25 team and unranked teams, it's generally a butchery.
The same could be said for Alabama and Clemson playing everyone else.
What's really amazing is that there are 8 college football stadiums that are almost exclusively used only 5-10 times a year that hold over 100,000 people. Just for college football. There are 20 stadiums that hold more than Old Trafford. It's really ridiculous when you think about it (for University Sports).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_stadiums

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
College football is the superior experience live, at least at a rivalry game if you're willing to commit a full day to it. The closest American thing to intense soccer derbies across the pond or in Latin America.

They are dying off due to conference realignment and pragmatic concerns (ie.$$$), but the NFL still doesn't have an equivalent to the Red River Rivalry, the world's greatest outdoor cocktail party, or tOSU v. Meechigan, etc. All of which are great regardless of the teams' current status.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
College football is the superior experience live, at least at a rivalry game if you're willing to commit a full day to it. The closest American thing to intense soccer derbies across the pond or in Latin America.

They are dying off due to conference realignment and pragmatic concerns (ie.$$$), but the NFL still doesn't have an equivalent to the Red River Rivalry, the world's greatest outdoor cocktail party, or tOSU v. Meechigan, etc. All of which are great regardless of the teams' current status.
The NFL did before free agency and expansion diminished such. Dallas/Washington was massive from the 70s into the mid-80s. Packers/Bears for decades was massive. Giants/Eagles was another war, and basically any AFC west foe visiting the Raiders in Oakland was madness.

College is more tribal in that aspect and is certainly the closest to how association football is when it comes to rivalries/derbies.