A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Is this Amadaeus character a parody account?
You may have bias to Eriksen since you are a spurs fan but from a neutral perspective and from someone with excellent judgment as mine, that is how I see the two players.
Plus, this is not my first rodeo, I have had many argument before and most of the time I end up right.
Seems like it. I won an argument with the humble guy 20 pages back and he moved nicely along in bliss. Clearly a wind up artist, it says right there. Pochettino fan.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
After a potential lost, a draw is a good result for your side after back to back defeat. As I stated, Arsenal maybe lower in the table than you, but that doesn’t represent their true quality. Arsenal have a better team not just 11 then Spurs and in reality, they should be above you.
:lol:

Halftrack

It's weird, I mean I don't even know any Arsenal fans who think Ramsey is close to Eriksen, it's one of those where I feel like it's clear as day when you watch the two players that one is a class above. If you genuinely think otherwise it's hard not to think there is some agenda at play.

And I genuinely rate Ramsey and think they'll miss him, he's a solid player with a good skillset.
Amadaeus, when Leicester won the league, spent a lot of time arguing for why Poch deserved Manager of the Season over Ranieri. According to him, based on Leicester's form towards the end of the previous season, anyone who understood football should have known that they were going to have a good season. Surely then, a man with Amadaeus' superior understanding of football had predicted them to do well in the 15/16 season? Something like a solid upper mid-table finish, maybe even mounting a top 4 challenge? Would it surprise you if I said he didn't? Because he didn't. He predicted them to finish 16th.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Amadaeus, when Leicester won the league, spent a lot of time arguing for why Poch deserved Manager of the Season over Ranieri. According to him, based on Leicester's form towards the end of the previous season, anyone who understood football should have known that they were going to have a good season. Surely then, a man with Amadaeus' superior understanding of football had predicted them to do well in the 15/16 season? Something like a solid upper mid-table finish, maybe even mounting a top 4 challenge? Would it surprise you if I said he didn't? Because he didn't. He predicted them to finish 16th.
Christ. This is certifiably insane.

Whatever you think of Ranieri as a coach overall, that season was a once in a lifetime achievement.

Not to mention we ended that season on a real sour note because we decided to stop bothering after Leicester won the league, somehow allowing Arsenal to finish ahead of us.

Halftrack

Christ. This is certifiably insane.

Whatever you think of Ranieri as a coach overall, that season was a once in a lifetime achievement.

Not to mention we ended that season on a real sour note because we decided to stop bothering after Leicester won the league, somehow allowing Arsenal to finish ahead of us.
To be fair to him, after the last game he did concede that Ranieri deserved it, but only because you lot were poor in your last couple of games. Before that, even after Leicester clinched the title, he was still unsure.

His reasoning that Spurs had been the best was based on "vital statistics", "advanced formulae" and "science". Things too complex for us lesser minds.

Revan

Assumptionman
Seriously? I find it mental even for Amadaeus standards.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair to him, after the last game he did concede that Ranieri deserved it, but only because you lot were poor in your last couple of games. Before that, even after Leicester clinched the title, he was still unsure.

His reasoning that Spurs had been the best was based on "vital statistics", "advanced formulae" and "science". Things too complex for us lesser minds.

Ah yes, the romantic stuff in football that awards are often given for.

Feck a once in a lifetime achievement which shocks the entire world, expected goals is way more impressive.

Cliche Guevara

I genuinely, genuinely, can’t work out if Pochettino is over-achieving or under-achieving with this squad.

People talk about how much his squad cost, but what about value? People don’t seem to take that into account much.

Kane, for example, is probably a £200m player in this market. One of the best in the world. They’d never replace him.

At various stages: Lloris, Walker, Rose, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Alli, Kane is some base. Technically I don’t think he signed any of those players and as for development players progress naturally anyway. The coach is more about combining them in a team.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I genuinely, genuinely, can’t work out if Pochettino is over-achieving or under-achieving with this squad.

People talk about how much his squad cost, but what about value? People don’t seem to take that into account much.

Kane, for example, is probably a £200m player in this market. One of the best in the world. They’d never replace him.

At various stages: Lloris, Walker, Rose, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Alli, Kane is some base. Technically I don’t think he signed any of those players and as for development players progress naturally anyway. The coach is more about combining them in a team.
Mate we don't have a midfield.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think this thread will be busy. I've got a feeling Dortmund are going to close to knocking Spurs out.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
@SquishyMcSquish genuine question to you.
Let say Spurs remain same after 5 years, no trophy but solid top 4 finish, will you still think Poch overachieve with you?
Would entirely depend on the context.

If after 5 years he's still basically getting no money whatsoever invested in to the team, then yeah he's overachieving if he is keeping the squad in the top four.

If we do start spending money (getting him the midfielder he needs, freshening up our fullbacks etc) and we're still not winning trophies in another five year period, then that wouldn't really be good enough, you would expect at least a domestic cup or two.

roonster09

Scout
In fairness we're playing a genuinely broken Wanyama and even Danny Rose has got his shot in midfield so we'll take basically anybody.
Yeah, that's when I thought it was a mistake. Don't remember how he was for Spurs though, so wondering why they sold him.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, that's when I thought it was a mistake. Don't remember how he was for Spurs though, so wondering why they sold him.
At the time selling made sense as we had better depth than now, and he was one of those Bale splurge signings that simply didn't work out in a Spurs shirt. Like Paulinho not a poor player, just not a good fit at the time.

The real mistake was not bringing someone in this summer when we were aware Dembele/Wanyama were pretty much done. Pretty much our entire fanbase was crying out for a central midfielder.

It's even worse when you consider that this was before Sissoko had his breakthrough season, without that we'd be totally up shit creek, unbelievable how reliant on him we have become.

roonster09

Scout
At the time selling made sense as we had better depth than now, and he was one of those Bale splurge signings that simply didn't work out in a Spurs shirt. Like Paulinho not a poor player, just not a good fit at the time.

The real mistake was not bringing someone in this summer when we were aware Dembele/Wanyama were pretty much done. Pretty much our entire fanbase was crying out for a central midfielder.

It's even worse when you consider that this was before Sissoko had his breakthrough season, without that we'd be totally up shit creek, unbelievable how reliant on him we have become.
Yeah, Spurs midfield options are non existent. Don't think anyone believed Sissoko would be decent option, with Wanyama injured, Dembele done it was very strange decision not to sign anyone.

Levy is doing everything in his powers to restrict Poch and somehow expect him to come out with flying colors. Credit to Poch for how well he has done with so many restrictions.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, Spurs midfield options are non existent. Don't think anyone believed Sissoko would be decent option, with Wanyama injured, Dembele done it was very strange decision not to sign anyone.

Levy is doing everything in his powers to restrict Poch and somehow expect him to come out with flying colors. Credit to Poch for how well he has done with so many restrictions.
Honestly I couldn't believe there were even fans of our own club justifying not bringing in a single player. So much nonsense was spouted about 'nobody available' (Really? Nobody to improve on two crocked players?) and then people acting as if asking for 1-2 signings to bolster extremely weak areas was spoiled!

Levy has done great work for the club (the stadium will be incredible and he's transformed our infrastructure) but not replacing players in the squad this summer was foolhardy. It wasn't even a case of investment since Dembele left in January, it was genuinely just replacing players who could no longer actually play.

We were the first club in the history of the transfer window to not add a single player, it was bizarre, especially since we had/have a number of players in key positions who are injury prone.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I didn't realise he was a moany, whiney cnut.

3-0 up in the CL and complaining that Dortmund have an extra day's rest. If they can't defend that lead, without even an away goal to worry about, they don't deserve to progress.
It's not about defending the lead, he moaned about the fact that the players are still in their 'critical recovery time' period and having to play again tonight is likely to increase the possibility of injuries and have us struggle for the rest of the season from fatigue.

He made clear we would run the same 'or more' than Dortmund, but the longer term impact of fixture congestion is what he's annoyed about.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Would you agree @SquishyMcSquish that fullback (both LB and RB) along with CM is a real problem position for you right now?

Trippier has looked awful since the World Cup, no idea whats happened to him.
Davies is decent squad player but he struggles in attack imo and shouldn't be first choice material.
Rose has been very erratic, some good games, some bad games.
Aurier is a bit of an enigma for me, pretty similar to Rose he's a bit erratic. Sometimes he does something brilliant then he does something utterly stupid.

Out of all those players Davies is probably the most reliable but he's not exactly special, a dependable player.

Your central midfield needs the most work though, could do with another 1 or 2 players given Wanyama practically plays with one leg these days.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Would you agree @SquishyMcSquish that fullback (both LB and RB) along with CM is a real problem position for you right now?

Trippier has looked awful since the World Cup, no idea whats happened to him.
Davies is decent squad player but he struggles in attack imo and shouldn't be first choice material.
Rose has been very erratic, some good games, some bad games.
Aurier is a bit of an enigma for me, pretty similar to Rose he's a bit erratic. Sometimes he does something brilliant then he does something utterly stupid.

Out of all those players Davies is probably the most reliable but he's not exactly special, a dependable player.

Your central midfield needs the most work though, could do with another 1 or 2 players given Wanyama practically plays with one leg these days.
Absolutely, I've spoken about our shitty fullback situation since the summer transfer window. They're a crucial part of the way Pochettino wants to play and we were at our best to watch when we had Walker/Rose (pre-injury) bombing down the flanks and providing genuine pace and athleticism. Since we've basically lost those two we've had to make do with 4 average fullbacks, with Trippier being the best of a bad bunch probably but a disaster this season. Aurier is an accident waiting to happen, Rose is good but again he's not the player he was, and Davies is just .. ok.

Need a total refresh in this area, it won't happen but we really do if we want to make the most of the amount of space we keep getting in these areas, because the likes of Rose/Trippier are just wasting it right now. We need at least one new fullback coming in, and yes probably 2 midfielders with Wanyama leaving. Again though, will it happen? Probably not, we'll make do and hope for the best.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Absolutely, I've spoken about our shitty fullback situation since the summer transfer window. They're a crucial part of the way Pochettino wants to play and we were at our best to watch when we had Walker/Rose (pre-injury) bombing down the flanks and providing genuine pace and athleticism. Since we've basically lost those two we've had to make do with 4 average fullbacks, with Trippier being the best of a bad bunch probably but a disaster this season. Aurier is an accident waiting to happen, Rose is good but again he's not the player he was, and Davies is just .. ok.

Need a total refresh in this area, it won't happen but we really do if we want to make the most of the amount of space we keep getting in these areas, because the likes of Rose/Trippier are just wasting it right now. We need at least one new fullback coming in, and yes probably 2 midfielders with Wanyama leaving. Again though, will it happen? Probably not, we'll make do and hope for the best.
You have to spend in the Summer otherwise he'll risk losing not only your star players but also Poch himself. Whether he'll give big funds is a different matter, given your last two windows you've spent nothing I think he had to spend money otherwise your fans will be seriously pissed. Do you have any decent youth coming through (other than Skipp obviously).

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You have to spend in the Summer otherwise he'll risk losing not only your star players but also Poch himself. Whether he'll give big funds is a different matter, given your last two windows you've spent nothing I think he had to spend money otherwise your fans will be seriously pissed. Do you have any decent youth coming through (other than Skipp obviously).

Our fans were seriously pissed this summer, or at least a majority were, as long as we're in that top 4 I think the board are satisfied and will see any investment as unnecessary. We're likely to lose Eriksen (almost certain, tbh) this summer though, so I suppose we'll spend whatever we get from that, although it will very much be a case of hoping for the best as we're very unlikely to replace his quality. We will sell Toby as well, and again who do we sign who is going to be an improvement?

Got a few in the youth ranks who look promising, but nobody who I would say is ready for the step up just yet, even Skipp has basically been forced through due to a lack of options.

sugar_kane

Has he always been such a negative moaner? Never had him pegged for one but maybe I've been paying more attention to it recently.

Some of the stuff he has said this year has been Mourinho-esque (particularly the comments around winning trophies and indirectly criticising his club)

I think losing his place as favourite to manage United has broken his brain a little bit.

RedDevil@84

Has he always been such a negative moaner? Never had him pegged for one but maybe I've been paying more attention to it recently.

Some of the stuff he has said this year has been Mourinho-esque (particularly the comments around winning trophies and indirectly criticising his club)

I think losing his place as favourite to manage United has broken his brain a little bit.
:lol::lol:

That's a Mourinho-esque opinion

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

No. I think it's simply frustration with the club. Imagine going three windows without signing anyone? That would test anyone's patience.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
But it’s not like you played a Sunday game..so just because Dortmund played Friday you should too? What about if that messes around with the opposition of yours?
I'm not talking about this particular instance. It's generally agreed that continental european FA's are more supportive of their teams by rearranging matches and kick off times than English FA, because they can't afford to kill the precious money laying goose that is EPL.

Rafaeldagold

I'm not talking about this particular instance. It's generally agreed that continental european FA's are more supportive of their teams by rearranging matches and kick off times than English FA, because they can't afford to kill the precious money laying goose that is EPL.
Yeh but Poch is talking about this instance- unless he wanted a Friday night game to suit Spurs I don’t understand his point..he wanted to change the fixture & inconvenience match going fans so Spurs can get a bit more rest. This shoulnt be a precedent & I hope it isn’t- They played the game early as possible really on a Saturday lunchtime.

If he’s trying to make a point he’s chosen the wrong fixture really to moan about it

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Never heard so much talk from Poch. Couldn't understand his complaint with the fixtures especially as he's 3 nil up. Not like they're in any danger of losing.