A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

lysglimt

Scout
As long as the United-job looked like it would go his way - Spurs did really well. But the better United performed, Poch knew he wasn't going to O.T and lost the motivation :)

el3mel

Perez won't touch him with this rate.

He's going to stay at Spurs for the mean time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
@SquishyMcSquish @hellohello @balaks
Is there a chance he gets the sack if you guys finish outside the top four? Or Spurs would be very willing to let him speak to other clubs? Considering where you guys were a month ago, there might be fans calling for his head.

Last edited:

Traub

He’d be way too expensive to sack anyway. If he were to leave, most likely by mutual consent as he moves to PSG imo.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
@SquishyMcSquish @hellohello
Is there a chance he gets the sack if you guys finish outside the top four? Or Spurs would be very willing to let him speak to other clubs? Considering where you guys were a month ago, there might be fans calling for his head.

I don't think he would be sacked, but I imagine if a club came in for him we wouldn't be as resistant.

Most of our fans won't call for his head and generally I'd say that is the rational approach, but I'm furious after today and feel the collapse we've seen in recent weeks is unacceptable, as a manager you can't have a team ahead by that many points and throw it all away within such a short period of time.

We've been clueless for a while with little sign of improvement, had a false dawn in the first half where we looked excellent, and then reverted to type in the second. So, so disappointing and I wouldn't blame fans who would want to see a change made.

Enigma_87

You know who
@SquishyMcSquish @hellohello
Highly doubt. 4th place isn’t given for Spurs not their expectations are that high. If he stays in the top half his job is safe IMO.

Cloud7

I'm in a seriously bad mood after that so this may well be a kneejerk that I'll later rethink after being more rational.

But if we miss out on CL football this season, his position at the club becomes untenable. You cannot feck up such a comfortable lead and expect to stay as manager. I love the man and he's done fantastic work at the club, but nowhere else would such a monumental drop in form be tolerated.
I disagree with that. Your drop in form has been horrendous, yes, but you can’t discount the body of work he’s done over his time there, as well as the fact that he was given literally no reinforcements in the summer. If you do miss out on CL, for me his position shouldn’t be untenable just yet, however I would watch very closely as to how he starts next season and act accordingly.

Another consideration is where do Spurs go from him? What other manager out there can do a similar job to what Poch does? This isn’t meant to be a patronizing question by the way, I’m genuinely curious about what the word is in Spurs circles on who the potential successor could be when. The day comes that Poch leaves. Will it be someone like Howe, or one of the other promising managers around Europe?

klsv

Just the next big test for Ole, have to see if he can finish above Poch but it's only fair if we're on level points.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I disagree with that. Your drop in form has been horrendous, yes, but you can’t discount the body of work he’s done over his time there, as well as the fact that he was given literally no reinforcements in the summer. If you do miss out on CL, for me his position shouldn’t be untenable just yet, however I would watch very closely as to how he starts next season and act accordingly.

Another consideration is where do Spurs go from him? What other manager out there can do a similar job to what Poch does? This isn’t meant to be a patronizing question by the way, I’m genuinely curious about what the word is in Spurs circles on who the potential successor could be when. The day comes that Poch leaves. Will it be someone like Howe, or one of the other promising managers around Europe?

Well no, and that's why he will likely be given another chance. But for pretty much any other club, messing up a massive lead and losing out on CL football would be cause to sack the manager.

This is a genuine worry and I don't honestly know who we would go for, someone like Howe would probably be the target.

Cloud7

Well no, and that's why he will likely be given another chance. But for pretty much any other club, messing up a massive lead and losing out on CL football would be cause to sack the manager.

This is a genuine worry and I don't honestly know who we would go for, someone like Howe would probably be the target.
Yeah the second paragraph is what the big concern is really. The job he has done getting the results he has working on a much smaller budget/wage bill, his stellar player development and good quality of football, it’s hard to look around Europe and figure out what managers can really bring all of that to the table should you part ways with each other.

Castia

6 weeks ago they were in a title race and 15 points in front of us with Poch hyped up beyond belief.

I wonder if a 5th place finish could actually see him get fired.

Crazy season this.

Makelele

How can you blame him for anything? I’m stunned they are in the top four as this stage considering their lack of investment.

Enigma_87

You know who

Can easily cite lack of transfers last summer and come clean.

With such a short squad honestly what do you guys expected come the business end of the season?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Can easily cite lack of transfers last summer and come clean.

With such a short squad honestly what do you guys expected come the business end of the season?
Not much better than this, I said at the start we'd struggle for top 4.

But with the context of how much of a lead we had built up, it's a disaster to throw that away, especially when dropping 6 points to Burnley and Southampton in that period. That can't all be put down to a lack of investment.

cyberman

6 weeks ago they were in a title race and 15 points in front of us with Poch hyped up beyond belief.

I wonder if a 5th place finish could actually see him get fired.

Crazy season this.
Na, Levi would have to pay him off and he would never so that in their current state. Weren't we quoted 30m odd million to buy him out?

ManRed

Guess a lot of off the pitch drama is affecting the team. New stadium + manager being linked for top job every other week does not help teams focus on games alone.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

But with the context of how much of a lead we had built up, it's a disaster to throw that away, especially when dropping 6 points to Burnley and Southampton in that period. That can't all be put down to a lack of investment.
Ole has to be viewed as completely unexpected. He's not even a once in a generation event. No club could have predicted what has happened at United.

Enigma_87

You know who

Your players are tired and others lack match fitness. It was to be expected. A very short squad in a long season. I'd rather be calling the shots on Levy than Poch if you miss out on top 4.

Even if he blows the CL qualification he isn't doing a bad job. Not good mind, but just ok I guess. I'd be more aggrieved at his attitude towards the FA cup than losing points in PL due to the short squad.

Suvvernmanc

Spurs have Liverpool coming up and could well find themselves 6th if they lose. That'll be the worst run in the PL for some time for spurs. Absolutley crazy that they can beat Dortmund so well over 2 legs but lose to Burnley, Southampton and Chelsea. And just about scrape a point against Their biggest rivals at home.

With UTD having 2 places possibly available in the top 4 while having Jose as our manager, stinking the place up for over half the season, we could end up 3rd or 4th! Mental stuff. It shows just how poor other clubs like spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea have been when you think about it like that.

Ace of Spades

I think the results are finally matching the performances. They have been poor for a while, but they still managed to grind out results before, but they are failing at that now as well.

The performance is probably a bigger worry than just a few bad results, those need to improve, as the other teams seem to be getting their act together. Even Chelsea are starting to stabilize. This will be close, and Spurs are in real danger of losing top 4.

Wanderlust_09

Our lack of spending in the summer is a joke, but you can't fully blame that on the points gap we've somehow managed to throw away in recent weeks.

I don't think he should go, but questions need to be asked of him when as a manager you oversee such a tremendous drop in form. It's really not acceptable.
I guess there is a limit to which you can play a midfield of Sissoko and Winks week in and week out and win games. You guys had a winning streak in Nov-Dec with all the injuries playing the same second string team for a while. Now the results are starting to show the threadbare squad and how tired you are.

The blame has to go to Levy, you guys really need a top draw replacement for Dembele.
And i guess Lamela and Moura have let you down badly when they needed to step up in the absence of Alli/Kane..

Kapardin

Pochettino is having a meltdown but unlike others like Mourinho, he's entitled to as he has overseen a team build. He's taken this team as far as he possibly can and apart from maybe winning a league cup or FA Cup, there isn't much he can do. Managers never last forever and he's reaching the end of his rope with Spurs.

Though not starting Son was a dodgy decision in all honesty.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Astonishing quote.

Bobski

I think people have overrated the quality of team and squad he has this season. He had a much better team 2-3 years ago. Walker/Alderweireld/Vertonghen/Rose in 2015-16 was probably the best in the league, but now Walker is gone and replaced with a crossing and set piece taking liability, Rose is half the player, Toby is on the decline and Sanchez still has a long way to go.

Add on a bang average midfield and I can't understand why people are surprised at a poor run.

Picking up guys like Moura, Aurier and Llorente has not helped them, they are just names at this stage, their contribution easily eclipsed by any number of faceless squad players around the league.

The United

Spurs have Liverpool coming up and could well find themselves 6th if they lose. That'll be the worst run in the PL for some time for spurs. Absolutley crazy that they can beat Dortmund so well over 2 legs but lose to Burnley, Southampton and Chelsea. And just about scrape a point against Their biggest rivals at home.

With UTD having 2 places possibly available in the top 4 while having Jose as our manager, stinking the place up for over half the season, we could end up 3rd or 4th! Mental stuff. It shows just how poor other clubs like spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea have been when you think about it like that.
Or United have had a title winning form lately and that helps closing the gap.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You can't really argue against his point. A few months that ago when I said we had a better squad, a lot of posters said I was talking shit.
It's not something he should be saying g though.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
People using squid depth as a an excuse and players are burned and then the other not match fit.
Poch should have known this at the start and rotated his squad. Not just use the best he had available all the time, burn out and then use that as an excuse

Judas

Open to offers
You can't really argue against his point. A few months that ago when I said we had a better squad, a lot of posters said I was talking shit.
It's not something he should be saying g though.
Yep, it’s true what he’s saying, but it’s far from the sort of thing you want to hear from your manager. It’s negative and doesn’t do anyone any favours.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
A lot of his comments recently have been very disappointing, I still love what he has done for the club but I do wish he'd shut up. I think his frustrations with the club not spending are now starting to leak out in to the press, but he needs to realise that this shit cannot happen at crunch time, it doesn't help the situation at all.

Moaning about being banned after clearly acting inappropriately, talking about how we're at our 'real level' now and those stupid comments about trophies and egos have all been weird and have done nothing but help balm his own ego. There were also those weird ones about washing machines and a couple other ones, like when he had a dig at Liverpool because we were still in 4 competitions and we immediately got knocked out of 2 of them.

It's not something he's done in the past (at least not at this rate) and it's not endearing at all.