A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People using squid depth as a an excuse and players are burned and then the other not match fit.
Poch should have known this at the start and rotated his squad. Not just use the best he had available all the time, burn out and then use that as an excuse
He can't rotate because his squad is shit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A lot of his comments recently have been very disappointing, I still love what he has done for the club but I do wish he'd shut up. I think his frustrations with the club not spending are now starting to leak out in to the press, but he needs to realise that this shit cannot happen at crunch time, it doesn't help the situation at all.

Moaning about being banned after clearly acting inappropriately, talking about how we're at our 'real level' now and those stupid comments about trophies and egos have all been weird and have done nothing but help balm his own ego. There were also those weird ones about washing machines and a couple other ones, like when he had a dig at Liverpool because we were still in 4 competitions and we immediately got knocked out of 2 of them.

It's not something he's done in the past (at least not at this rate) and it's not endearing at all.
For the first time, I think the frustration has gotten to him and you can't really blame him.

LInkash

I wouldn't say we have a much better squad than Spurs.

I think it's comparable. Looking at second choices...

GK - Obviously we have the better back-up goalkeeper but this is kind of irrelevant
Defence - We have Bailly, Jones and Rojo, you can't get a more disastrous trio. At fullback, the only decent option is the unproven (though really starting to shine) Dalot
Midfield - McTominay, Pereira and Fred. Until recently, these guys were considered to be a joke
Forwards - Lukaku and Sanchez. Lukaku has shown himself to be up to it in the last few games but Sanchez is useless

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So it’s down to maybe one of these points...

-he’s taken a gamble they won’t burn out.

-Know they will burn out, keep playing same players and drop points.

-know they will burn out so adopt tactics with less pressing

-know they will burn out so rotate squad with lesser players early on as they will be needed later in season anyway when the top players run out of steam.

Managers have to work with what they have. I know levy has not helped with no signings but that still doesnt mean Poch should run his players into the ground and run out of beans early in the season

Djemba-Djemba

I think he'd have wanted to come to Utd and fancied his chances of it happening. Even at that point, with Spurs miles ahead of us I think he'd have come here in the Summer.

Ole doing so well has likely stopped that happening and I think coupled with the frustration of how little theyve spent he just seems pretty downbeat.

Canagel

he should've given them minutes here and there so that when injury crisis strikes for eg they can be dependable and do a job. not run a first 11 into the ground. We just won with a makeshift team in Paris including players that had been written off as not good enough. if Poch hadnt completely shunned his squad players earlier perhaps the team would've been in better shape heading into the last stretch of the season.

BlueHaze

As time is moving on I am afraid it seems I was very wrong about him being the perfect fit for us. I had admired his work for a long time even though he has been without a single trophy during that time. The collapse they are going through combined with his comments in recent months is very alarming and it has damaged the image I had of him as someone who would be the perfect match for us moving forward. I guess the people on here who were very critical of him were right all along. I have no idea why Tottenham are going through this very bad phase at the moment or why Poch has been sounding so extremely negative recently but I suspect his frustrations of not being given the funds is starting to take over. He always struck me as a very positive guy so it is very surprising that he all of a sudden has started to become the exact opposite.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mentality seems to be anything but of a big club.
The writing off of trophies and just general comments.

Glad he won't be coming here.

Ace of Spades

He seems to be cracking a bit, the moment a little pressure has been applied. He should stay well clear from the Madrid job, the pressure there is ridiculous.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
he should've given them minutes here and there so that when injury crisis strikes for eg they can be dependable and do a job. not run a first 11 into the ground. We just won with a makeshift team in Paris including players that had been written off as not good enough. if Poch hadnt completely shunned his squad players earlier perhaps the team would've been in better shape heading into the last stretch of the season.
Exactly. There’s enough people on here calling mctominay etc shit but they still get used and do a job.

Lan

This guy is David Moyes but with better looking football. Keep the feck away from united please.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I seem to be one of the few who doesn't see it with Madrid.
They like a glitzy manager who wins things. Poch is neither.
Doesn’t Perez have a massive hard-on for him? Think I read that somewhere but can’t remember clearly

Revan

Assumptionman
If we can play Pereira, McTominay, Dalot, Fred, Chong and Greenwood in Paris and winning the tie, I think that he can play his squad players too.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he'd have wanted to come to Utd and fancied his chances of it happening. Even at that point, with Spurs miles ahead of us I think he'd have come here in the Summer.

Ole doing so well has likely stopped that happening and I think coupled with the frustration of how little theyve spent he just seems pretty downbeat.
Either that, or he really got offered the Madrid job (which I doubt) and then regretted not having accepted it. He looks like Jose on sabotage mode.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A lot of his comments recently have been very disappointing, I still love what he has done for the club but I do wish he'd shut up. I think his frustrations with the club not spending are now starting to leak out in to the press, but he needs to realise that this shit cannot happen at crunch time, it doesn't help the situation at all.

Moaning about being banned after clearly acting inappropriately, talking about how we're at our 'real level' now and those stupid comments about trophies and egos have all been weird and have done nothing but help balm his own ego. There were also those weird ones about washing machines and a couple other ones, like when he had a dig at Liverpool because we were still in 4 competitions and we immediately got knocked out of 2 of them.

It's not something he's done in the past (at least not at this rate) and it's not endearing at all.
He's definitely looking very frustrated, from the ref confrontation to a few of these comments. Watching Solskjaer's incredible start at United completely wreck his chance of a job here is a huge factor too.

Probably feels massively annoyed he's had to do without any additions to the squad, and although you managed to keep winning through most of the recent injury spell, this little losing spell (and just about not losing to Arsenal) has made him meltdown a bit.

He is right in one way, that he's been overachieving, but to say it now is not clever.

Would be a really downbeat way to go into the new stadium without champions league. A difficult balancing act between the league and cup now.

Djemba-Djemba

Either that, or he really got offered the Madrid job (which I doubt) and then regretted not having accepted it. He looks like Jose on sabotage mode.
Yeah it seems like the last month the reality of the situation has set in.

I still think he's a brilliant manager but it feels like he's done all he can at Spurs and it looks like that's what he's thinking now too.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Is he really over achieving?
Out of domestic cups
3rd in the league

They have stars in their first eleven, just because they didn’t pay big money for these stars still doesn’t stop them being equal to other top 6 team players.

He’s just doing average or as expected I thought.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah it seems like the last month the reality of the situation has set in.

I still think he's a brilliant manager but it feels like he's done all he can at Spurs and it looks like that's what he's thinking now too.
He has taken Spurs as far as he can. He is a decent manager but not a brilliant one, not even near. The only brilliant manager in the league is Pep, maybe at a push Klopp, and Emery is better too.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The change in attitude could indicate that his had enough at Spurs and doesn't want to stay there anymore. It is odd how negative he has gotten lately.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Pooch is on the way to Madrid I feel....with Kane.
With Eriksen I think.. No way Kane goes to Madrid imo.

With the lack of resources and all the distraction of the stadium I think Poch has done a great job making champions league and progressing in it this year. If he does go to Real I think he'll do very well.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Is he really over achieving?
Out of domestic cups
3rd in the league

They have stars in their first eleven, just because they didn’t pay big money for these stars still doesn’t stop them being equal to other top 6 team players.

He’s just doing average or as expected I thought.
Yes, he is. They have a very strong first XI but he deserves a lot of credit for that. I really think people underestimate the impact of not being able to make any signings for a full season, not just in a literal sense in that he is not able to strengthen the squad but psychologically as well. Compare the wage bill and transfer power of Spurs compared to City, United and Liverpool to a lesser extent and it's clear that Pochettino is going a very good job.

Atheist

To be fair, Dortmund have been dodgy in the last few weeks, so it wasn't as much of a surprise seeing Spurs do them over, albeit an impressive result regardless.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yes, he is. They have a very strong first XI but he deserves a lot of credit for that. I really think people underestimate the impact of not being able to make any signings for a full season, not just in a literal sense in that he is not able to strengthen the squad but psychologically as well. Compare the wage bill and transfer power of Spurs compared to City, United and Liverpool to a lesser extent and it's clear that Pochettino is going a very good job.
Psychologically maybe the transfers had an affect on the team.
I still think transfer power and wage bill shouldn’t have much to do with how he’s doing. That’s more for praising the board. Like I said and you agreed re first 11, his first 11 is strong enough to be right in the top 6 mix and he’s hardly overplayed being out of all the cups.

POF

He's done a fantastic job. They lost Kane and Alli at the same time while they had a midfield 2 of Sissoko and Winks and he still had them in the title race. They've just run out of gas.

People saying he should rotate more? Walker Peters, Sanchez, Foyth, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Moura, Llorente have all played major minutes this season and wouldn't be considered in their first choice 11.

When you lose players and don't replace them, you need to be lucky with injuries. They haven't been and after battling through for a few weeks it has caught up with them.

If Pochettino leaves, Spurs are in major trouble.

Paul_Scholes18

Funny how Kane returned to the team against Burnley. 1 draw and 3 defeats after that in the league. Kane has also scored some goals and played fairly well funny enough.