A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What an outstanding manager. He's made Spurs a team to be taken seriously who regularly finish 3rd and 4th, and now has reached a CL final without spending.

Hate to say it but he appears to be the one manager who looks like he could compete with Pep and Klopp in the PL if he had money to spend as they do. I got swept up in the Ole wave, but this guy is fantastic. Even players like Moura who I felt were average are doing really well under his management. Quality.

amolbhatia50k

Yup. Would have loved him at United. After tonight, though, there’s no way he could have been tempted in the summer. So that eases the sting a bit.
Were in trouble though aren't we? All our rivals snapping up top managers while we flounder from one to the next. Ole's early run was fantastic but he needs to be at this high a level for him to be the right manager. That's the problem. Nobody knows what his level is.

But very well done Pochettino. His work at Spurs deserves a big trophy. Sadly he'll be up against a better team in the final that has spend enormously.

ohhrooney

Credit where it's due. Truly an exceptional coach. Should be awarded the manager of the year for the simple fact that he didn't get a single dime to spend on players unlike his competition.

Still getting Spurs to finals and top 4 is truly a remarkable feat. I was definitely wrong before. In hindsight I wish were patient and got him for our club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wanted him straight after Fergie. We've let another top manager slip through going for easy options.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I've been wanting him since last season.

There are a lot of clowns who thought he didn't had the winning mentality for United :lol:

reelworld

Happy for Poch, don't think he's going to leave Spurs now, unless Levy did really something stupid.
Shows how much you've got to believe in your manager and give him time

Nikelesh Reddy

Nah, we aren't that ruthless. No chance.
Yeah we won’t.We”ll stick with good old Ole who will get sacked next December,with us languishing in mid table....With each passing season we keep getting further and further away from the top...,

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I've been wanting him since last season.

There are a lot of clowns who thought he didn't had the winning mentality for United :lol:
And we all know who was their favourite manager :lol:

Anyways great achievement. Shows spending is not the only way to improve the team. All the Jose fans who kept on giving excuses that 'Jose wasn't backed' should check how Poch improved his team when they made 0 signings and created good atmosphere to improve rather than moaning about it in every day and creating toxic environment.

He was my first choice to replace Jose but now nothing much can be done.

Last edited:

slored1

I still don't know whther it was luck that brought them through or massive cojones from Poch. He took off their only CM, put a striker in and let it be. Truly an inspired comeback.

roonster09

Scout
There are few who think fitness is just an excuse, probably these are the same people who went on and on about "Winning mentality".

It's not an excuse, either you should have among the best in fitness or technically brilliant team like Barca. 3 of the 4 semi finalists have one of the fittest squads.

Something from 2016 on Poch.

Fitness first
Speak to any footballer who has played under Mauricio Pochettino for more than a few months and they will invariably tell you that they have never trained harder. They will mostly also tell you that they have never felt fitter and, with a body fat test never more than two weeks away, that they never felt more conscious of the need to remain lean. A large percentage will also tell you that they are playing the best football of their career. Double training sessions have become part of the routine while tales even of occasional treble sessions – and days stretching from 10am until 8pm – are not unheard of.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...is-building-his-tottenham-hotspur-revolution/

He didn't build his team in 1 season with just snap of finger, it took years of training and squad building. People just watch the end product and assume everything was easy. We have to do the basics right, first thing to do is work on fitness and improve our embarrassing position, 20th in fitness table.

Players play their best football when they are fit, not when they cant catch breath after 1 half.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

I read that Pochettino might not be willing to stay if he wins the CL. Let's hope Spurs win and we get to sign Poch.

redIndianDevil

There are few who think fitness is just an excuse, probably these are the same people who went on and on about "Winning mentality".

It's not an excuse, either you should have among the best in fitness or technically brilliant team like Barca. 3 of the 4 semi finalists have one of the fittest squads.

Something from 2016 on Poch.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...is-building-his-tottenham-hotspur-revolution/

He didn't built his team in 1 season with just snap of finger, it took years of training and squad building. People just watch the end product and assume everything was easy. We have to do the basics right, first thing to do is work on fitness and improve our embarrassing position, 20th in fitness table.

Players play their best football when they are fit, not when they cant catch breath after 1 half.
Fitness is an excuse. Even if our fitness doens't improve, our passing, movement, chance creation should have improved. Nothing of the sort has happened. This is what is making me seriously doubt Ole, in the last three, four months, Ole should have worked on the fitness or in passing or anyform of style that ole wants us to play.

roonster09

Scout
Fitness is an excuse. Even if our fitness doens't improve, our passing, movement, chance creation should have improved. Nothing of the sort has happened. This is what is making me seriously doubt Ole, in the last three, four months, Ole should have worked on the fitness or in passing or anyform of style that ole wants us to play.
If you missed first month of Ole then nothing happened.

Not sure there is anything to argue when you think fitness is an excuse. Go and read about what the first thing these managers worked on when they took over the club.

redIndianDevil

If you missed first month of Ole then nothing happened.

Not sure there is anything to argue when you think fitness is an excuse. Go and read about what the first thing these managers worked on when they took over the club.
So why hasn't Ole worked on them yet? If four months aren't enough then a month of preseason won't be enough either. How long can fitness be considered an excuse? Should we give another year for that too?

roonster09

Scout
So why hasn't Ole worked on them yet? If four months aren't enough then a month of preseason won't be enough either. How long can fitness be considered an excuse? Should we give another year for that too?
You can't work on them in midseason without recovery time. Ole mentioned it many times and with games coming thick and fast you can't have double triple training sessions to improve your fitness. It's impossible and this is the team that was 20th in distance covered in last 2 seasons.

Can't believe I have to spell out different between midseason and Preseason.

Porch would have faced same problem when his team would have been outworked by every single team they face.

redIndianDevil

You can't work on them in midseason without recovery time. Ole mentioned it many times and with games coming thick and fast you can't have double triple training sessions to improve your fitness. It's impossible and this is the team that was 20th in distance covered in last 2 seasons.

Porch would have faced same problem when his team would have been outworked by every single team they face.
So Ole can't work on tactics midseason or fitness midseason? You think all the work is done in one month of preseason?

I grant that we had an amazing run at the start but it coincided it with all our good played playing out of their skin and everyone had a point to prove after Mourinho. Now that they all lost form, we have reverted back to our previous problems, I don't think I've ever seen a team move backwards like ours have done that quickly.

The matches will come thick and fast next season too now that we are in the Europa league, all our players will return even more unfit after the holidays. Pre season will about mostly be us making money off Americans. How is Ole going to fit in tactics and fitness in space of a month? My point is we should at least he seeing a working version of tactics or some improvement by now.

redIndianDevil

Yeah we won’t.We”ll stick with good old Ole who will get sacked next December,with us languishing in mid table....With each passing season we keep getting further and further away from the top...,
Exactly. By he time we get around to find a good manager, all the good ones will be taken and the class of 92 press idiots will be baying for Giggs to come back.

roonster09

Scout
So Ole can't work on tactics midseason or fitness midseason? You think all the work is done in one month of preseason?

I grant that we had an amazing run at the start but it coincided it with all our good played playing out of their skin and everyone had a point to prove after Mourinho. Now that they all lost form, we have reverted back to our previous problems, I don't think I've ever seen a team move backwards like ours have done that quickly.

The matches will come thick and fast next season too now that we are in the Europa league, all our players will return even more unfit after the holidays. Pre season will about mostly be us making money off Americans. How is Ole going to fit in tactics and fitness in space of a month? My point is we should at least he seeing a working version of tactics or some improvement by now.
See the problem is everything is black or white with you. Player didn't play out of their skin to prove point, they are not robots. When Ole was appointed, he made them work harder than the opponents and we won many games. There are stats which showed we made more sprints than opponents in first many games, then injuries started when we reverted to old style.

How can Ole implement high press, wanting his team to work harder than opponent when they have shit fitness levels? Again, this is the least fit team in the league.

I'm just assuming you just ignore all the interviews going by your posts. There are interviews where Solskjaer explained clearly why he can't work on fitness or how he wants his players to report back with some standards.

We saw his work in the first month, are we ignoring that?
We had shit loads of injuries and had so many muscular injuries. disagree with that?
We stopped sprinting more than our opponents after so many injuries, disagree with that?
We made more sprints than opponents in almost all games in the first month or so, disagree with that?

Before we end up in circles, I would suggest you to read about Poch, Conte preseasons and how much was reported about their fitness work.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

That season was an outlier. Like someone on Redcafe winning the mega billion lottery. Most of the top six teams had their issues and everything fell perfectly for that leceister side. The premier league has always been difficult as there are more challengers for the title and it is not a one horse race like the bundesliga where Bayern has no real challengers beside themselves. The premier has also had some good managers in the past that could compete with Pep and Klopp team. Mourinho chelsea, Wenger invincible, Sir Alex 07/08 side and so on.
The prem has been low on quality for a long time before the pep and Klopp era hence none of the teams were all that relevant in Europe. Now it is ridiculously difficult to win it but back then we put out a not so vintage side and strolled in in 2013. All the mediocre years of the prem culminated in a surprise Leicester win.

My point is overcoming a really great side makes a league harder to win than how many teams that are competing for the title. Klopp is unlikely to win the title this season despite an outrageous points total. Winning La liga in the past decade if you're not Barca has been a hell of a challenge to an extent that the galacticos have barely done it.

Poch came 3rd in a 2 horse race in the Leicester season. He then managed to not overcome Contes Chelsea. Pep then comes in and does what he does and the chance to win the league is minute. Beating Heynckes Bayern to the title is a bigger achievement than winning any of the prem season's pre Pep and since our late 00's side.

redIndianDevil

See the problem is everything is black or white with you. Player didn't play out of their skin to prove point, they are not robots. When Ole was appointed, he made them work harder than the opponents and we won many games. There are stats which showed we made more sprints than opponents in first many games, then injuries started when we reverted to old style.

How can Ole implement high press, wanting his team to work harder than opponent when they have shit fitness levels? Again, this is the least fit team in the league.

I'm just assuming you just ignore all the interviews going by your posts. There are interviews where Solskjaer explained clearly why he can't work on fitness or how he wants his players to report back with some standards.

We saw his work in the first month, are we ignoring that?
We had shit loads of injuries and had so many muscular injuries. disagree with that?
We stopped sprinting more than our opponents after so many injuries, disagree with that?
We made more sprints than opponents in almost all games in the first month or so, disagree with that?

Before we end up in circles, I would suggest you to read about Poch, Conte preseasons and how much was reported about their fitness work.
I'm not seeing things black and white. All I'm asking for is improvement, not complete turn around in 4 months. We have all heard about Ole wanting to do things but out on the pitch we are going back and back. So Ole cannot work on tactics midseason because players are not fit and he cannot work on fitness because it's midseason? So basically we are wasting four months of a season we have all completely written off and hoping we will be alright with a month of preparation?

amolbhatia50k

I think it's fair to believe that Ole deserves one full season. But it's also absolutely possible to show your managerial/tactical impact mid season - in fact Ole already did that to an extent, it's just that it disappeared. There may be mitigating factors not allowing it to happen sometimes but it is possible.

As for Ole in general, I admit I did get caught up in the wave that run created. But the truth is, he has to be as good as the best managers to be good enough for us. And while we all hope that is the case, we really have no experience or achievements at the top level to really truly have faith in. Hence everybody's looking at the peformances to see signs of his managerial quality in the absence of genuine credentials. Which is the right way IMO.

I feel this club is far too obsessed with results and winning as compared to progress and improvements. And it's the latter that leads to success. Not focusing merely on quick fixes, short cuts and 'winning mentality'. A nice run of results is all good but it's about time we focused on excellence and not just the (apprently) easiest way to get to the destination.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
C'mon mate, he knows the club :devil:

Just wait till he signs players that run around more.
We might buy James from the championship. He scored 4 goals this season in the championship

foolsgold

I'm not seeing things black and white. All I'm asking for is improvement, not complete turn around in 4 months. We have all heard about Ole wanting to do things but out on the pitch we are going back and back. So Ole cannot work on tactics midseason because players are not fit and he cannot work on fitness because it's midseason? So basically we are wasting four months of a season we have all completely written off and hoping we will be alright with a month of preparation?
The fitness thing; we've played 11 matches in 9 weeks since Paris, it's not staggeringly intense, but it's enough at the back end of the season.

Preseason isn't just a month. With no international competition, players will be back early, realistically last week in June. First fixture mid August. 7 or 8 weeks pure fitness work.

The blow out holiday with weight gain doesn't happen anymore, big gains can be made by a motivated squad in this time window

roonster09

Scout
When you keep repeating players played out of their skin and then back to their level, it's obvious you are seeing black or white. Fitness makes even average players play above their level and lack of fitness even makes good players look average. You don't have to go far to see that, just check Spurs and Liverpool.

Again, we changed how we play and then went back to old style because of injuries. Not sure why you ignore this and keep repeating the same thing again and again.

Do you believe playing with high intensity makes the difference? Do you disagree that key to playing with high intensity is fitness and Spurs, Liverpool are the fittest team in the league?

When you are in the middle of a season you don’t do too many drastic changes, you can’t really turn this group and work really much harder.

Of course the fitness levels are not good enough for me.

Maybe we have been caught up with that respect and pre-season is going to be a big mark for me and for all of us.

Bwuk

Best manager in the league for me. Never had the £ to spend that Pep and Klopp have.

Ban

No, preseason is not mostly about making money..

roonster09

Scout
I think it's fair to believe that Ole deserves one full season. But it's also absolutely possible to show your managerial/tactical impact mid season - in fact Ole already did that to an extent, it's just that it disappeared. There may be mitigating factors not allowing it to happen sometimes but it is possible.

As for Ole in general, I admit I did get caught up in the wave that run created. But the truth is, he has to be as good as the best managers to be good enough for us. And while we all hope that is the case, we really have no experience or achievements at the top level to really truly have faith in. Hence everybody's looking at the peformances to see signs of his managerial quality in the absence of genuine credentials. Which is the right way IMO.

I feel this club is far too obsessed with results and winning as compared to progress and improvements. And it's the latter that leads to success. Not focusing merely on quick fixes, short cuts and 'winning mentality'. A nice run of results is all good but it's about time we focused on excellence and not just the (apprently) easiest way to get to the destination.
I agree with most of it but we did see the improvements in the initial run. In his interview with Neville he said they started focusing on results when they were in race for top 4. Actually that's a good interview where he says how the things are.

At least for me, the conclusions from first 4 months is

- We changed the style and worked hard as a team in the initial run. (Made more sprints than opponents)

- Fitness caught up (Solskjaer - Of course the fitness levels are not good enough for me. Maybe we have been caught up with that respect and pre-season is going to be a big mark for me and for all of us.)

- We were in race for top 4, so focus shifted to results, coincided with lot of injuries because of high work rate. (Again this is the team that was in 20th position in work rate and IIRC 19th this season). Also this was the time when games came thick and fast.

- re progress, this is why I believe in Ole. He has all the right ideas, that working on fitness, playing with intensity, recruiting players who wants to be here rather than who wants just 10-20% pay hike.

If he can execute his ideas is left to see. For the first time since SAF I believe we have manager who has right ideas.

I believe people think we are just making excuse for Ole talking about fitness but they refuse to read the articles on Conte, Poch's preseason preparation or players who talks about how improved fitness helped them to play better. Look at the intensity with which Liverpool and Spurs play, no wonder teams struggle to cope with them.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I’m a realist, there is nothing being done at the club to suggest next season will be any better, in fact it looks like it will get a helluva lot worst, and with that the manager is always first to go.
Agree with that, it just seems like you'd be happy to be proven right.

Ban

I agree with most of it but we did see the improvements in the initial run. In his interview with Neville he said they started focusing on results when they were in race for top 4. Actually that's a good interview where he says how the things are.

At least for me, the conclusions from first 4 months is

- We changed the style and worked hard as a team in the initial run. (Made more sprints than opponents)

- Fitness caught up (Solskjaer - Of course the fitness levels are not good enough for me. Maybe we have been caught up with that respect and pre-season is going to be a big mark for me and for all of us.)

- We were in race for top 4, so focus shifted to results, coincided with lot of injuries because of high work rate. (Again this is the team that was in 20th position in work rate and IIRC 19th this season). Also this was the time when games came thick and fast.

- re progress, this is why I believe in Ole. He has all the right ideas, that working on fitness, playing with intensity, recruiting players who wants to be here rather than who wants just 10-20% pay hike.

If he can execute his ideas is left to see. For the first time since SAF I believe we have manager who has right ideas.

I believe people think we are just making excuse for Ole talking about fitness but they refuse to read the articles on Conte, Poch's preseason preparation or players who talks about how improved fitness helped them to play better. Look at the intensity with which Liverpool and Spurs play, no wonder teams struggle to cope with them.
I admire you. Tide is already turning, they want a shiny new toy, are impatient and not only that there are running jokes about Ole, I guess next up is calling him names.

roonster09

Scout
I admire you. Tide is already turning, they want a shiny new toy, are impatient and not only that there are running jokes about Ole, I guess next up is calling him names.
The other guy who was arguing would be the first to create "appointing Poch is a mistake" when he takes time to build his side.

People just look at end result rather than how much time it took to build a side. They think he can replicate his work from the word go at ManUtd, when we are lacking in almost all departments.