A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

tomaldinho1

I think he'll just be mentally a bit drained, it must be strange sensation because Spurs have done so well but major trophies still seem so far away. Sadly though, I can't see why he'd come to United when I think he'd have nice options across the Continent and he doesn't have any link to us, it's just that we have loads of cash and history and, somewhat arrogantly, think he'd like to be here.

Randomly, I actually feel he's most likely to end up at City of the all the PL clubs. Pep staying in the PL long term has always been a big ? for me and Poch, unless he wants the chaos of RM, the rebuild of United or maybe the easy option of someone like Bayern, would have earned the ability to walk into a near perfect squad and near limitless resources.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Not keeping my hopes up that this actually happens. Pochettino May have come to a realization that the gap is to large for him to close without proper backing. I don’t believe he can take this Spurs team any farther. Maybe a lucky domestic cup win, with a top four place and a good champions league run. However, I doubt they will be in a champions league final anytime soon with or without Pochettino. Winning a domestic cup can be luck based, so perhaps Spurs can win that if they get a Man City esque favorable draws.

Regardless, the only way I see him leaving Spurs at the moment is if he has been tapped up by a bigger club. I don’t believe he will just walk out without a reason. I also doubt believe that levy will sack him because he won’t get a manager that will do as much with very little. Unless, like Arsenal with Emery, they decide to back the new manager more than the previous one in the market.

All in all, I don’t believe any of this. It will be interesting to see how Spurs do cope post Pochettino era. Most of these players are very loyal to Poch as he had a hand in their development. If he does leave, United should take advantage of this dysfunction. I would love a few players from that team.

Pochettino has been backed in the market this summer. His top two targets (Lo Celso and Ndombele) were signed, and he got a player he's been interested in for a while (Sessegnon). I've complained massively in the past about our transfer business, but it'd be weird if he 'suddenly realised' we were limited in the market when we signed 3 players and got deep in to negotiations with Dybala & Fernandes. Money was spent.

As for the pure delusion that somehow you could just take a few players from us, stop it. Levy would fight tooth and nail over even one player, let alone more than that.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Pochettino has been backed in the market this summer. His top two targets (Lo Celso and Ndombele) were signed, and he got a player he's been interested in for a while (Sessegnon). I've complained massively in the past about our transfer business, but it'd be weird if he 'suddenly realised' we were limited in the market when we signed 3 players and got deep in to negotiations with Dybala & Fernandes. Money was spent.

As for the pure delusion that somehow you could just take a few players from us, stop it. Levy would fight tooth and nail over even one player, let alone more than that.
People are living in the past. Gone are the days we could just go to any club and buy up a bunch of their best players. Let alone steal their manager.

It took a whole xfer window and 80mil for us to eventually prise Maguire away from LC.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
People are living in the past. Gone are the days we could just go to any club and buy up a bunch of their best players. Let alone steal their manager.

It took a whole xfer window and 80mil for us to eventually prise Maguire away from LC.
I agree with you in general. But people hugely underestimate manager's role in transfers. It is huge factor. Players like to play for certain managers. We signed Zlatan( and maybe some other players) purely because of Mourinho. Some player go in City to work with Guardiola. Now we don't have that charisma with Ole but with Poch some Spurs players would be interested to join. Of course we would need to overpay them massively.

I am speaking hypothetically here. I don't think that we will sign Poch and definitely not Son or Kane or Eriksen.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I agree with you in general. But people hugely underestimate manager's role in transfers. It is huge factor. Players like to play for certain managers. We signed Zlatan( and maybe some other players) purely because of Mourinho. Some player go in City to work with Guardiola. Now we don't have that charisma with Ole but with Poch some Spurs players would be interested to join. Of course we would need to overpay them massively.

I am speaking hypothetically here. I don't think that we will sign Poch and definitely not Son or Kane or Eriksen.
The players may well want to join if you got Pochettino, but there's no chance in hell Levy would allow Manchester United to poach our best players after our manager leaves. No chance at all.

Unless there was a contract situation akin to Eriksen's, he wouldn't even entertain a sale.

(I also think @Amadaeus is exaggerating how much the players would want to follow Poch out. I actually think some of our senior players have become a bit jaded by his ultra demanding fitness plans, especially since they've led to zero trophies).

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Yea, Pochettino was backed moreso this season than previous one, but still not to the level that managers from Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea or Liverpool has been backed. No doubt that this transfer window is a good step forward for Spurs, but their fans are kidding themselves if they believe such spending will take them to the top of Europe. N’Dombele was a brilliant signing for example, but that sort of signings you would not be surprised seeing warm the bench at a top club. Not saying N’Dombele will warm the bench at a top club, but £60m on a player is the kind of money United throw at a player like Fred and he barely get any game time. Spurs under pochettino needs that impact signing. If they had gotten a player like Dybala, no doubt there will be no discontent about Spurs competitiveness and resources to back their manager.

I agree levy will fight tooth and nail, but if a player wants to leave there is little he can do.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yea, Pochettino was backed moreso this season than previous one, but still not to the level that managers from Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea or Liverpool has been backed. No doubt that this transfer window is a good step forward for Spurs, but their fans are kidding themselves if they believe such spending will take them to the top of Europe. N’Dombele was a brilliant signing for example, but that sort of signings you would not be surprised seeing warm the bench at a top club. Not saying N’Dombele will warm the bench at a top club, but £60m on a player is the kind of money United throw at a player like Fred and he barely get any game time. Spurs under pochettino needs that impact signing. If they had gotten a player like Dybala, no doubt there will be no discontent about Spurs competitiveness and resources to back their manager.

I agree levy will fight tooth and nail, but if a player wants to leave there is little he can do.
We were one of the biggest spenders in this window, and were trying to sign others. Signing 5-6 players in one window isn't realistic for us, or really any club who aren't ran by sugar daddies or who don't get a massive fee for a player ala Liverpool and Coutinho.

60m on Ndombele and 55m on Lo Celso is a pretty decent investment. City generally target players in that 30-65 range and they do pretty well, we've gone for two highly rated players and landed them both.

Maybe we do need an 'impact signing' but personally I was pretty happy with the window, and I'm a consistent moaner about our lack of spending. Well over 100m spent, 3 big young talents brought in to the club who Pochettino has long since admired, and clearly an attempt to go for the big one as well. The ambition was there and, for me at least, it would be weird if it was now that Pochettino decided 'they're not ambitious enough' when he's a) getting plenty of his biggest targets and b) we're going for players for fees/wages we never would have considered before.

I think it's now time for Poch to either nut up or shut up and leave. I think in the future our model will be similar to Atletico - good spending, higher wages, will re-invest from sales but are not going to spend 200m+ net or anything like that, we don't have that potential as a club. If we go back to our old ways and bring in nobody in future summers I'll back the manager all the way as I have in the past, but this summer he got his targets so should focus on the team and getting top 4.

wolvored

I dont get the love affair with some on here for Poch. He has won nothing at Spurs and if his form was the same here, loads would be calling for his head. There is no guarantee he would take us to the next level and how this club is run by the owners/woody there is a good chance he wouldnt do any better here than at Spurs, maybe even worse.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This is your chance to get him, he’s gone this summer no doubt in my mind.
Well, he could leave next summer, but in my mind there's plenty of doubt that he will.

He's just entering a period in which Spurs have a lot money to spend (as shown in the last transfer window) and the first full season in our new stadium. So to walk away in 9 months time would be a bit like walking away from a harvest whose fruits you have worked long and hard for.

He's previously spoken of not leaving unless sacked and wanting to establish a dynasty at Spurs. I wouldn't be so sure he doesn't mean it.

VJ1762

I dont get the love affair with some on here for Poch. He has won nothing at Spurs and if his form was the same here, loads would be calling for his head. There is no guarantee he would take us to the next level and how this club is run by the owners/woody there is a good chance he wouldnt do any better here than at Spurs, maybe even worse.
The guy just reached a CL final with tottenham fecking hotspurs. He may have not won anything yet, but there is no doubt that he is an excellent coach and has proven it the last 5 years. He is way better than the likes of Ole gunnar Solskjaer, that's for sure.

I would love him here, but he is too good for our bunch of average, mentally weak footballers. And the closet scouser Ed Woodward would not back him properly at all, unlike at Madrid where he would have the resources to topple Barcelona.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
This is your chance to get him, he’s gone this summer no doubt in my mind.
He has been acting weird for few months now, even though he was backed very well this summer. I know a lot of folks were laughing about Dybala rumors, but they were credible and it means Spurs are now at a level where they can buy players of his quality.

He maybe bit burnt out but apart from name/prestige I don't think there's a lot going for Man Utd managerial seat. It's basically reputation/career killer. Moyes is finished at top level, van Gaal is retired and 'serial winner' Mourinho is having a hard time to find a club with CL football on offer.

Amadaeus

We were one of the biggest spenders in this window, and were trying to sign others. Signing 5-6 players in one window isn't realistic for us, or really any club who aren't ran by sugar daddies or who don't get a massive fee for a player ala Liverpool and Coutinho.

60m on Ndombele and 55m on Lo Celso is a pretty decent investment. City generally target players in that 30-65 range and they do pretty well, we've gone for two highly rated players and landed them both.

Maybe we do need an 'impact signing' but personally I was pretty happy with the window, and I'm a consistent moaner about our lack of spending. Well over 100m spent, 3 big young talents brought in to the club who Pochettino has long since admired, and clearly an attempt to go for the big one as well. The ambition was there and, for me at least, it would be weird if it was now that Pochettino decided 'they're not ambitious enough' when he's a) getting plenty of his biggest targets and b) we're going for players for fees/wages we never would have considered before.

I think it's now time for Poch to either nut up or shut up and leave. I think in the future our model will be similar to Atletico - good spending, higher wages, will re-invest from sales but are not going to spend 200m+ net or anything like that, we don't have that potential as a club. If we go back to our old ways and bring in nobody in future summers I'll back the manager all the way as I have in the past, but this summer he got his targets so should focus on the team and getting top 4.

I agree that Spurs had a good window. I gave them a B+ in the “rebuilding champions league finalists Spurs,” thread.

However, as I noted, you are underestimating the effect an impact signing could do. Those impact signing is the difference between a team having a decent season to a team having a great season with winning trophies. For example, Klopp crushed the world record for a defender in Van Dijk and that gave him the foundation he needed to win the champions league. United crushed the world record to sign Pogba and we won the Europa league and came second. These impact signing are often the difference. Spurs might be content with a top four and I believe with the team Poch has, they can get top four as long as everyone stay fit, but to take Spurs to the next level, they will need that impact signing. Something, Spurs can’t offer Poch. So as Allen Hansen said, he won’t win anything with Spurs. Unless it is a lucky domestic cup with favorable draw and result. If Poch wants a club that can get him Dyballa, Sancho, Mbappe, and all the best talent in the world, he has to move on to a club like Manchester United. He will become a butterfly and like Klopp after Dortmund, realize his true potential.

Even though, we are in a bad situation, we have the financial pulling power and history to attract big names.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
… to take Spurs to the next level, they will need that impact signing. Something, Spurs can’t offer Poch.
Not true. We were after Dybala in the summer and may well return for him in January. And if we do I'll warrant we stand a better chance than United of signing him.

As I've said previously, the new stadium is a game-changer for Spurs. We've already - pre-stadium - posted club profits that are higher than any football club ever in history, right across the world.

Many posters on here have greatly under-estimated just our lucrative our stadium is going to be. They will see the error of their ways in the months and years to come. Our income is going to rise a lot further.

Amadaeus

Not true. We were after Dybala in the summer and may well return for him in January. And if we do I'll warrant we stand a better chance than United of signing him.

As I've said previously, the new stadium is a game-changer for Spurs. We've already - pre-stadium - posted club profits that are higher than any football club ever in history, right across the world.

Many posters on here have greatly under-estimated just our lucrative our stadium is going to be. They will see the error of their ways in the months and years to come. Our income is going to rise a lot further.
I will be surprised if Spurs can actually afford a world class talent like Dyballa without it greatly impacting their club budget. If they could, no doubt he would have been at Spurs instead of lo Celso. After getting N’Dombele, it was quite obvious that the Dyballa deal wasn’t going to happen.

But then again, maybe they can do a £80m in five year deal like Arsenal did with Pepe :lol:. They can get creative or something:lol: Anyway, if that happens then that will take Spurs to the next level.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
However, as I noted, you are underestimating the effect an impact signing could do. Those impact signing is the difference between a team having a decent season to a team having a great season with winning trophies. For example, Klopp crushed the world record for a defender in Van Dijk and that gave him the foundation he needed to win the champions league. United crushed the world record to sign Pogba and we won the Europa league and came second. These impact signing are often the difference. Spurs might be content with a top four and I believe with the team Poch has, they can get top four as long as everyone stay fit, but to take Spurs to the next level, they will need that impact signing. Something, Spurs can’t offer Poch. So as Allen Hansen said, he won’t win anything with Spurs. Unless it is a lucky domestic cup with favorable draw and result. If Poch wants a club that can get him Dyballa, Sancho, Mbappe, and all the best talent in the world, he has to move on to a club like Manchester United. He will become a butterfly and like Klopp after Dortmund, realize his true potential.

Even though, we are in a bad situation, we have the financial pulling power and history to attract big names.

Was Van Djik an 'impact signing', really? Sure, he went for a world record fee for a CB but he was hardly some big marquee signing. He was a central defender coming in from Southampton. Other guys they picked up like Salah/Mane were B tier players. And to be honest I don't think you could say United were an example of how successful targeting high reputation players can be, the ones they've targeted have consistently failed, and the Europa League win was hardly all down to the genius of Pogba. It came about because of a piss easy run to the final, if we're being honest.

We got pretty close to signing Dybala but he clearly has some wacko shit going on with his agent that stopped us from finalising it. And I'm really not arsed about what Alan Hansen has or hasn't said, right now winning anything in the league is hard for everyone with Liverpool and City present but nobody can predict what the league will look like in five years time. And you don't need to throw money at the likes of Dybala to be successful, personally I'd prefer we invested that money in a couple of great fullbacks.

Manchester United aren't attracting Mbappe and they too failed to get Dybala .. and there's no concrete evidence whatsoever that you can get Sancho either. You may well have more pulling power but you also have an inferior squad that would take Pochettino years to take out, combined with an impatient fanbase and a pretty clueless board.

This idea that this summer was 'dybala or bust' is insane. It was weird we were even in for him, and I'm still not convinced he would be a good fit for us anyway. We got one of the best rated young midfielders around, Lo Celso who Pochettino hugely admires and who starts regularly for Argentina, and another player Poch has admired in Sessegnon. It was a great window in which we showed ambition to do even more. Again, I'm the first to complain when a window turns shite but this one worked out pretty well and if Pochettino is unhappy then I really don't understand it.

Like I said before, I think we will look to the Atletico model and seek to emulate that and if Pochettino isn't comfortable with that then I'm content if he looks elsewhere. I think going forward our revenue (especially since we're in the PL) will be even higher than Atletico's so potentially we will be able to be a suped up version of them - a side who spend within their means but still spend significantly and punch above their weight.

Righteous Steps

I agree that Spurs had a good window. I gave them a B+ in the “rebuilding champions league finalists Spurs,” thread.

Well if Spurs sell Kane for example they'll be able to make more 'impact signings'.

Guy Incognito

Second time this season where Spurs let a two-goal lead slip. Thought their first half was terrible though compared to the Arsenal game.

Wonder if Real are monitoring Pochettino's situation...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yep, just keep passing the blame Poch.

His decision to go with Sanchez again, who was dreadful .. again. His decision to keep starting Eriksen even though he looks completely off the pace, and somehow he gets a full 90.

What was the plan we weren't respecting? Because I didn't see shit, even in the first half. Alli doesn't know where he's playing, Kane is forced to drop in to midfield to get any of the ball, Ndombele was mostly lost.

Some players in this team are undroppable and Pochettino's favourites, whereas others at the first sniff of a poor performance are put out in the cold. Others even after a great game are dropped immediately after.

I'd also like to know why we seem to constantly have an injury crisis, our players drop like flies.

Lentwood

Is Pochettino on the verge of a Jose-style eruption?

Criticise the ambition of the Board pre-season - Tick
Criticise your squad - Tick
Claim you're under-prepared for the new season - Tick
Accuse players of not trying hard enough - Tick

Maybe Poch will get away with it because he's been with the team so long and most of these players owe their careers to him....who knows...I can see this ending badly though

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF

Maybe Poch will get away with it because he's been with the team so long and most of these players owe their careers to him....who knows...I can see this ending badly though
Poch inspires at best loyalty and at worst, pity. Both can be constructive. Mou was mostly about the hate and fear, often bluffing.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yep, just keep passing the blame Poch.

His decision to go with Sanchez again, who was dreadful .. again. His decision to keep starting Eriksen even though he looks completely off the pace, and somehow he gets a full 90.

What was the plan we weren't respecting? Because I didn't see shit, even in the first half. Alli doesn't know where he's playing, Kane is forced to drop in to midfield to get any of the ball, Ndombele was mostly lost.

Some players in this team are undroppable and Pochettino's favourites, whereas others at the first sniff of a poor performance are put out in the cold. Others even after a great game are dropped immediately after.

I'd also like to know why we seem to constantly have an injury crisis, our players drop like flies.
Looks like Jose 2.0 in making.

Bwuk

It'd be best for both parties to move on.

I think Poch has taken them as far as he can. Maybe someone else can take them to the next level (I doubt it), but I don't see things improving or really getting any worse for Spurs.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Looks like Jose 2.0 in making.
I don't think it'll ever get nearly as bad as Jose because I don't think Poch has or ever will lose the dressing room.

But I do think some of his methods are getting stale and SOME members of the team just aren't responding to what he wants from them.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get top 4 this season and then he leaves to Madrid or wherever in the summer, and it won't be the end of the world for us.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet

No. Jose is pure poison and always decides Im gonna bring the whole house down. Poch may moan here and there, but he never goes nasty and personal. I dont see players refusing to play for Poch or hating him like Jose.

passing-wind

I don't understand why is there so much noise about Poch discontent with the club or whatever hindrances ?

They have successfully moved to the new stadium, first time since forever the club have spent feasible funds in the market and they genuinely have a quality team the second / third best squad in the league (debated). There should be more progression in comparison to stagnation.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I don't understand why is there so much noise about Poch discontent with the club or whatever hindrances ?

They have successfully moved to the new stadium, first time since forever the club have spent feasible funds in the market and they genuinely have a quality team the second / third best squad in the league (debated). There should be more progression in comparison to stagnation.
Most if it is media hype and bullshit.

If you believed it all you'd think that Spurs have had a terrible start to the season, whereas in fact we sit in 3rd place in the league (after having already played two of the toughest away fixtures) and have started better in the CL than we did last season.

Suedesi

I think the impact of Van Dijk at Liverpool gets overstated a bit. People completely ignore Robertson, the emergence of TAA and the brilliance of Alison from the equation. Sure, VVD has made an impact, but it’s not like he’s playing CB, RB, LB and GK all by himself - he’s actually part of a brilliant unit!