A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Imran Mamdani

I don't think it'll ever get nearly as bad as Jose because I don't think Poch has or ever will lose the dressing room.

But I do think some of his methods are getting stale and SOME members of the team just aren't responding to what he wants from them.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get top 4 this season and then he leaves to Madrid or wherever in the summer, and it won't be the end of the world for us.
it won't get as bad as Jose because the media seem to have an agenda with us Utd whenever things go south whereas anyone else there's hardly a spiff.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's unquestionable the most miserable manager in the league now so he's taken over from Mourinho on that if nothing else :D

charlenefan

I don't think it'll ever get nearly as bad as Jose because I don't think Poch has or ever will lose the dressing room.

But I do think some of his methods are getting stale and SOME members of the team just aren't responding to what he wants from them.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get top 4 this season and then he leaves to Madrid or wherever in the summer, and it won't be the end of the world for us.
You dont think? Has there been any rumours who Spurs may turn to in the event of when Poch leaves?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You dont think? Has there been any rumours who Spurs may turn to in the event of when Poch leaves?
I don't, no. We have a talented squad, needs refreshing a bit (particularly at the back) but with lo celso/ndombele added to midfield and son/kane/lucas/alli/lamela as forward options we're pretty set. I don't think we're somehow going to fall completely away with those options.

Not really, the likes of Howe were mooted but I think Levy would go with a more experienced option. I'd love to see the Ajax manager targeted if Poch was to go, but either way I'm pretty sure we'll go for some talented up and comer with a similar style to Poch in terms of pressing high up the field and playing with energy & purpose.

charlenefan

I don't, no. We have a talented squad, needs refreshing a bit (particularly at the back) but with lo celso/ndombele added to midfield and son/kane/lucas/alli/lamela as forward options we're pretty set. I don't think we're somehow going to fall completely away with those options.

Not really, the likes of Howe were mooted but I think Levy would go with a more experienced option. I'd love to see the Ajax manager targeted if Poch was to go, but either way I'm pretty sure we'll go for some talented up and comer with a similar style to Poch in terms of pressing high up the field and playing with energy & purpose.
Do you think Kane is with Spurs for life? Like they were saying on BT last night surely he'll want to be competing for the biggest trophies at some point in his career but then Shearer never did (bar the one at Blackburn) so who knows....

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
it won't get as bad as Jose because the media seem to have an agenda with us Utd whenever things go south whereas anyone else there's hardly a spiff.
I mean right now it's hard to be overly critical, isn't it?

We're sat in third on goal difference having played City and Arsenal away. The Newcastle result was shitty but otherwise the season hasn't exactly been some disaster thus far.

I'm not happy with the performances/form and I think the squad has issues, but there's no reason for the media to be having a frenzy over Spurs right now.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Do you think Kane is with Spurs for life? Like they were saying on BT last night surely he'll want to be competing for the biggest trophies at some point in his career but then Shearer never did (bar the one at Blackburn) so who knows....
I don't know, can never know for sure. I think he is very attached to the club and wants to see us be successful but I can't 100% know his thoughts. I do think any trophy he might win with us would be far sweeter for him than a trophy he'd win for any other club.

What is for sure, is that if he is sold we would get an insane amount for him, and would be able to invest that back in to the team. The question then would be whether we could do it sensibly or not.

AR87

I mean right now it's hard to be overly critical, isn't it?

We're sat in third on goal difference having played City and Arsenal away. The Newcastle result was shitty but otherwise the season hasn't exactly been some disaster thus far.

I'm not happy with the performances/form and I think the squad has issues, but there's no reason for the media to be having a frenzy over Spurs right now.
You've had some tougher fixtures for sure, but when I've watched Spurs this year the actual performance itself has left me very underwhelmed. I really think Poch's desire to overhaul the squad, which hasn't totally come to fruition, was spot on. It just seems stale.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Yes, I didn't mean literally . Passing the blame when he starts wrong players , sticking to favorites irrespective of their form- all are traits of Jose.

Your problems is your FBs. Majority of your play go through them and now, your options are very bad there.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You've had some tougher fixtures for sure, but when I've watched Spurs this year the actual performance itself has left me very underwhelmed. I really think Poch's desire to overhaul the squad, which hasn't totally come to fruition, was spot on. It just seems stale.
The performances haven't been great. But the bottom line is we're not actually doing that bad results wise compared to our competitors, so there's hardly likely to be some big focus on Poch failing or whatever.

IMO we need 2-3 windows to 'overhaul' the squad. Lo Celso/Ndombele is an overhaul of midfield, and we got Sessegnon too who is one for the future. I expect next window with Eriksen/Toby leaving we'll see a continuation of that overhaul and then the season after the likes of Lloris/Vertonghen will move on as well. Very rarely do you see a team overhaul an entire team in a single window and I don't think Pochettino is naive enough to think that would be the case, you can't integrate that many players in so quickly.

The big mistake was failing to sign a single player last summer. That left us behind on any kind of rebuild and it's possibly the case that there's still a bit of anger there from Pochettino that he was provided with no reinforcements for that season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Your problems is your FBs. Majority of your play go through them and now, your options are very bad there.

They're not great. Aurier was really good against Newcastle but I'd be very surprised if he kept that up, KWP is limited going forward and still unproven, Rose is probably our most established fullback but still isn't what he was a few years ago and Davies is just a decent option.

Need to hope Sessegnon kicks on as a left back when he's back from injury, but going forward we need investment there.

cyberman

But falling down to our level doesn't mean Spurs are playing ok? I was going through your results and they have 4 wins from 14? two of those wins are v Brighton and Villa at home where they played like shit and scored last minute goals.
Spurs fans have a habit of using overview to justify performances on here, Spurs are playing like shit and have done for a long time now.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
But falling down to our level doesn't mean Spurs are playing ok? I was going through your results and they have 4 wins from 14? two of those wins are v Brighton and Villa at home where they played like shit and scored last minute goals.
Spurs fans have a habit of using overview to justify performances on here, Spurs are playing like shit and have done for a long time now.
I'm not taking last season's league results in to account. This season is a clean slate, last season the poor league performance was mitigated by the fact that we .. you know, reached the biggest final in world club football.

We were fantastic against Palace only last week, and the performance vs Arsenal was pretty decent, we just fecked it up. But we played some good stuff. I've criticised the hell out of the way we've been playing football but sitting in third and a draw away to Olympiakos (albeit, we once again messed up a 2 goal lead) isn't some apocalyptic scenario. We've played two of the best teams in the league away to boot.

I'm willing to be patient and give us another 10 games or so, only then will we know if the poor league form carries over from last season. Last week was our best league performance in fecking ages so let's see whether that continues.

AshRK

To be fair many spurs fans here have said their performance has not been great. It is some of poch lovers here who like to change the narratives and term Poch's football as the best.

cyberman

I'm not taking last season's league results in to account. This season is a clean slate, last season the poor league performance was mitigated by the fact that we .. you know, reached the biggest final in world club football.

We were fantastic against Palace only last week, and the performance vs Arsenal was pretty decent, we just fecked it up. But we played some good stuff. I've criticised the hell out of the way we've been playing football but sitting in third and a draw away to Olympiakos (albeit, we once again messed up a 2 goal lead) isn't some apocalyptic scenario. We've played two of the best teams in the league away to boot.

I'm willing to be patient and give us another 10 games or so, only then will we know if the poor league form carries over from last season. Last week was our best league performance in fecking ages so let's see whether that continues.
It's within your right to do that but this season is looking more and more like a continuance of last season rather than something new that you have to wait out to assess.
It's a bit illogical to ignore that 14 game run and focus on one half v Palace that was already followed up by that game mid week. There's literally nothing to wait on, you're starting from zero again

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Whats with Pochettino's obsession with playing Sanchez as a RB? Looked rubbish there whenever I have seen Spurs play. KWP far and away better at RB, even the walking red card Aurier is a better option.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Whats with Pochettino's obsession with playing Sanchez as a RB? Looked rubbish there whenever I have seen Spurs play. KWP far and away better at RB, even the walking red card Aurier is a better option.
KWP is injured and presumably he was 'resting' Aurier .. despite the fact Aurier has played one game all season.

Sanchez at RB is indeed, a mess. And so will Foyth be, you can't be playing cb's at rb in 2019 and consistently getting away with it, fullbacks need to be ultra fit, and should be technically very good.

tomaldinho1

I think the impact of Van Dijk at Liverpool gets overstated a bit. People completely ignore Robertson, the emergence of TAA and the brilliance of Alison from the equation. Sure, VVD has made an impact, but it’s not like he’s playing CB, RB, LB and GK all by himself - he’s actually part of a brilliant unit!
This is what I never understood with the VVD hype, it seemed to overlook the other key players and signings. He's a top player but I think of the defensive unit Allison is the most important - there's so few keepers with his ability who can also play out to that level that if he left they couldn't replace him (highly unlikely Ederson, Ter Stegen or Nueur would move there).

On Poch, you do get the sense he's frustrated but I think he'd be mental to go to Real now. Personally I reckon Sarri's Juve will get knocked out early (for them) and they'll line up Poch. It'd be the perfect move for him in that it's undoubtedly a top club, they have this revolution going on in terms of branding and going 'global and they have a phenomenal squad. There's no better platform than theirs currently to win trophies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's within your right to do that but this season is looking more and more like a continuance of last season rather than something new that you have to wait out to assess.
It's a bit illogical to ignore that 14 game run and focus on one half v Palace that was already followed up by that game mid week. There's literally nothing to wait on, you're starting from zero again
We're sat in third though .. so it's hardly like the form this season has been disastrous, even if the performances haven't been great.

Drawing away to Olympiakos isn't the end of the world, better teams than us have done that in the past. The way we chucked away a 2 goal lead was annoying but I'll look ahead to the Leicester game.

Win that and honestly, I think we can say it's been a very solid start to the season. Lose and yeah, we have issues.

Cantonagotmehere

We're sat in third though .. so it's hardly like the form this season has been disastrous, even if the performances haven't been great.

Drawing away to Olympiakos isn't the end of the world, better teams than us have done that in the past. The way we chucked away a 2 goal lead was annoying but I'll look ahead to the Leicester game.

Win that and honestly, I think we can say it's been a very solid start to the season. Lose and yeah, we have issues.
Appreciate the balanced and frank analysis that you provide. Nice to have rival posters like you on here. Now go fall apart please.....;)

cyberman

Issues it is. 4 wins in 15 is horrendous. If anything you're playing worse than last season, at least you covered up a lot of poor performances through late goals, now you're conceding them or failing to win after scoring first.
Of course Kane could could 2 and you win since im posting this on the 87th minute

marktan

If it wasn't for a bs var call they'd be 2-0 up and most likely cruising to a victory.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Issues it is. 4 wins in 15 is horrendous. If anything you're playing worse than last season, at least you covered up a lot of poor performances through late goals, now you're conceding them or failing to win after scoring first.
Of course Kane could could 2 and you win since im posting this on the 87th minute
Performance was good today, don't think we deserved to lose at all and I think the officials have had a mare with that offside decision personally.

But the larger picture is that our form on the road is a disgrace, our lack of ability to see out games has become an absolute joke, and Pochettino is consistently making shite in game decisions like bringing Wanyama in.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If it wasn't for a bs var call they'd be 2-0 up and most likely cruising to a victory.
True, but we should be able to rally ourselves after that. It's not an excuse to go on and concede two.

The performance was fine, but the mentality shown again is poor. Another game where we give up a losing position, and another game where our subs worked better for the opposition.

I'm increasingly losing my patience with Pochettino.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And the myth continues. No away wins since January. Remove teams that were relegated last season and that run extends to before Christmas.

Eriku

But hey..he is better than Ole.
Haha, to be fair he may well be... I’m not too bothered about such assessments, I’m just pointing at the fact that our own fanbase would be beying for Ole’s blood if we got done by Leicester. They have far more love for opposition managers who aren’t a part of the United pantheon.

always_hoping

Spurs PL record in 2019

P 24 W 10 D 4 L 10 Pts 34 out of possible 72

A remember Poch has better starting team with Spurs and better strength in depth that United currently do but some think he would be a good manager for United?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Haha, to be fair he may well be... I’m not too bothered about such assessments, I’m just pointing at the fact that our own fanbase would be beying for Ole’s blood if we got done by Leicester. They have far more love for opposition managers who aren’t a part of the United pantheon.
Our current fanbase all want instant success.
Anyone else looks better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Spurs PL record in 2019

P 24 W 10 D 4 L 10 Pts 34 out of possible 72

A remember Poch has better starting team with Spurs and better strength in depth that United currently do but some think he would be a good manager for United?
Yes. Because we are judging by his progress over 5 years, not cherry picking the last 24 games.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Doesn't seem like they've adequately replaced the players they've lost/players that have regressed.
Similar worrying form to us, if they don't turn it around soon questions will have to be asked.
It does make you wonder if Poch will regret not leaving Tottenham when his stock was high.