A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

AJ10

Spurs PL record in 2019

P 24 W 10 D 4 L 10 Pts 34 out of possible 72

A remember Poch has better starting team with Spurs and better strength in depth that United currently do but some think he would be a good manager for United?
That is shocking given their players. Their football has also been crap for a while not just results but how dare you criticise Cafe's Messiah.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I do think it's time for him to move on from the club, and that it would be best for all parties if he did. Just isn't working here anymore.

Likely will happen at the end of the season and we'll have to hope we can muster enough form to scrape top four. But I have extremely low expectations for this season now.

always_hoping

Yes. Because we are judging by his progress over 5 years, not cherry picking the last 24 games.
Judging over years hmm. United made the same mistake with appointing Jose and LVG (both better records/CVs than Poch) and United got both of those managers when they were past their best.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Worse record than Ole without a lack of transfers for an excuse.
You brought in three first team players this season (Wan Bissaka, Maguire and James) for over 140 million pounds.

We brought in three players: One who got injured before he could have an impact (lo celso), one who has had an impact but also missed a couple through injury (ndombele) and one who is basically one for the future and again .. has been injured (sessegnon).

Jesus christ our medical team are shite.

RyRoc

He's still an excellent manager but he should have left in the summer - I fully believe him when he says he would have left if they won the champions league. He's been manager there for 5 years which in this day and age is an extremely long time for a Premier League manager and they've been in decline for at least 12 months if not more (the Champions League run was fantastic last season but on a whole there's a reason managers are mainly judged on league form). I can't see things improving for him there and I think he knows it too, I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-sign and the Spurs fans on here will correct me if I'm wrong but could this be the first time in his tenure that the majority would agree that it's the right time for an amicable split?

Ban

You brought in three first team players this season (Wan Bissaka, Maguire and James) for over 140 million pounds.

We brought in three players: One who got injured before he could have an impact (lo celso), one who has had an impact but also missed a couple through injury (ndombele) and one who is basically one for the future and again .. has been injured (sessegnon).

We also lost 3 important players without replacing them. Anyway transfers or not very worrying PL form.

Kag

Maintaining success (this term is relative, of course) at one club is an incredibly difficult thing to do. It requires managing the shift and turnover of entire squads and ensuring that results remain consistent.

It’s what set Ferguson apart from all others. Pochettino is still, clearly, a very good coach. But there is a ceiling at Spurs that he isn’t going to break through.

Kag

He'll be available hopefully soon enough. Interesting how Spurs will upgrade from him.
They don’t.

They will lose Eriksen shortly, Alderweireld and Vertonghen are ageing and the likes of Alli will agitate for a move. They’re lucky that Kane seems to be a little bit of a Shearer type in terms of loyalty.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We also lost 3 important players without replacing them. Anyway transfers or not very worrying PL form.
Oh yeah the transfer thing aside we've been absolutely horrible for a good while. We show flashes now and again which get my hopes up (ajax last season, palace last week) and then we go straight back in our shell.

Our PL form over the last year or so is an absolute disgrace, don't even want to talk about us away from home. We're incredibly lucky that our other competitors for top four are also bang average teams who feck up on the regular, or we'd not even be in contention for it this season.

But we certainly won't be winning anything, or even close to progressing in any meaningful way. Depressing shite.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

We both brought in three first team players.
Daniel James and Sessengon would both be seen as one for the future.
Ndombele was what 60 million? Lo Celso wouldn't be cheap either.
Also both Daniel James and Wan Bissaka have been injured this season, although I don't think Wan Bissaka has missed any matches for United.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They don’t.

They will lose Eriksen shortly, Alderweireld and Vertonghen are ageing and the likes of Alli will agitate for a move. They’re lucky that Kane seems to be a little bit of a Shearer type in terms of loyalty.
Not to mention both are are out of contract next summer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Judging over years hmm. United made the same mistake with appointing Jose and LVG (both better records/CVs than Poch) and United got both of those managers when they were past their best.
How is it the same mistake with Jose and LVG? These were proven winners with a history of silverware. Poch doesn't have that yet, but is proven in building a strong philosophy in this league with tangible progress year on year over a longer term. He's literally the opposite of someone like Jose.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He looks spent there. Spurs will finish in the top 4 imo, but I think the obsession with him wanting to win a trophy for them before he leaves is playing on his mind. I had no doubt that if he won the CL final he would have announced after he'd be leaving, but I think he realises now it's going be another 9 month slog of trying to do it all over again. I think he could walk if the right opportunity comes up.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Worse record than Ole without a lack of transfers for an excuse.
So it is Ole》Poch already? You are right, i agree with you. And i think that we must react now quickly and give Ole new contract because if Real sack Zidane, i am sure that Real will rather come for Ole than for Poch.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We both brought in three first team players.
Daniel James and Sessengon would both be seen as one for the future.
Ndombele was what 60 million? Lo Celso wouldn't be cheap either.
Also both Daniel James and Wan Bissaka have been injured this season, although I don't think Wan Bissaka has missed any matches for United.
Sessegnon has been injured for the entire season, so hardly likely to have an impact. He's also two years younger than James.

Ndombele and Lo Celso were expensive but the latter picked up a bad injury as soon as he was starting to gel with the team.

You signed two English PL players in Maguire and Wan Bissaka so it's hardly a surprise they've settled quickly and would have more of an impact straight away. We both made the same amount of signings, you spent less net but did well to get rid of some players who were doing little for you, and overall spent close to 150 million.

Ole's had signings, similar in terms of backing to Poch, don't see the point in pretending one has had support and the other hasn't. There are plenty of genuine criticisms you can level at Pochettino and the way he's managed the team this season without going in to that.

Decomposing In Paris

They don’t.

Loyal to Southampton & Blackburn or just Newcastle?

... with Owen talking about Shearer trying to engineer a movie to Liverpool for being benched.

AJ10

So it is Ole》Poch already? You are right, i agree with you. And i think that we must react now quickly and give Ole new contract because if Real sack Zidane, i am sure that Real will rather come for Ole than for Poch.
:lol::lol: What a precious little meltdown.

Loon

:lol:
Left home at 0-1 and just heard the result. Knew this would be the top thread in TFF.

Lee565

I think he's one of the better managers around but cant excuse the awful form he has guided spurs to, he along with quite a few spurs players need a new challenge in their careers at this point, quite disappointing if he moves on without achieving a single piece of silverware though.

cyberman

They seem to have lived off of a perfect 18 month transfer window and have relied on that ever since. It's looking more like a fluke than anything that can be replicated

Decomposing In Paris

Poch is a great manager, and I think he'd be great for Real Madrid when they finally accept they're just not that good without Ronaldo.

Spurs are possibly about to lose their two best CBs, their most creative player, and their manager, with minimal compensation.

Dec9003

Sessegnon has been injured for the entire season, so hardly likely to have an impact. He's also two years younger than James.

Ndombele and Lo Celso were expensive but the latter picked up a bad injury as soon as he was starting to gel with the team.

You signed two English PL players in Maguire and Wan Bissaka so it's hardly a surprise they've settled quickly and would have more of an impact straight away We both made the same amount of signings, you spent less net but did well to get rid of some players who were doing little for you, but spent more overall.

Ole's had signings, similar in terms of backing to Poch, don't see the point in pretending one has had support and the other hasn't. There are plenty of genuine criticisms you can level at Pochettino and the way he's managed the team this season without going in to that.
Agreed with your last paragraph, I just took your original post as you implying you haven't spent money in the transfer window, apologies if that wasn't your point.
I usually do critisize Poch, but I think his situation right now is similar to United's in a way.
Your players are worse than they were a couple of years ago, but the expectations haven't adjusted to match that.
Maybe he should have looked to sign different players, but it's too easy to say in hindsight.
As for the age difference between Sessengon and James, that doesn't really matter when James had never played in the premier league. Both young players expected to make a big impact in the years to come rather than immediately.

Eriku

3 games in 7 days with a thin squad to start with.
Now injuries to key players.
He is doing a good job.

But you are right.
No disagreement there, Ole’s doing fine work. He might not be right for getting us to the summit again, but he’s definitely handling the rebuilding brilliantly.

Obviously a typo, but can you imagine how boring that would be?
Like a shit Jason Statham :lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Should have left after taking Spurs to the champions league final. Can’t see Spurs doing any better than that unless they start spending like their top six rivals.

Probably the only team in the top six that has gotten worse due to lack of proper investment and not getting the right players in. Lamela was not a starter for Spurs last season, yet he is starting most of Spurs game this one. Aurier as well. Eriksen, Alderweild, and Rose are unsettled as they wanted out last summer. Still forced to start the Winks and Sissoko midfield when most agreed that these two won’t get into any top team. Pochettino has an ineffective team at the moment and until these issues gets addressed, Spurs won’t be at their best.

On the performance today, poch was unlucky. The var decision turned a good victory into a loss. I believe Poch should have asked the team to show similar intensity they showed at Palace, but I understand this is reality and not fifa. So, he couldn’t do much in that regards. The midweek game definitely made Spurs players less fresh than Leceister and they were playing away. It was always going to be a tough game for them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Agreed with your last paragraph, I just took your original post as you implying you haven't spent money in the transfer window, apologies if that wasn't your point.
I usually do critisize Poch, but I think his situation right now is similar to United's in a way.
Your players are worse than they were a couple of years ago, but the expectations haven't adjusted to match that.
Maybe he should have looked to sign different players, but it's too easy to say in hindsight.
As for the age difference between Sessengon and James, that doesn't really matter when James had never played in the premier league. Both young players expected to make a big impact in the years to come rather than immediately.
Nah, we had backing this summer, I think we made errors in the market by not adequately replacing Trippier and going for an up and comer in Sessegnon rather than someone more established .. but money was spent.

True, but either way Sessegnon has been injured all season.

I think it's just reached a point now where we could do with new ideas and a new approach, and Pochettino could do with a new project. He's a great manager and will do well wherever he goes, but I think quite a few players are tired of his methods and his constant whining in the press and looking miserable isn't helping anybody.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
No disagreement there, Ole’s doing fine work. He might not be right for getting us to the summit again, but he’s definitely handling the rebuilding brilliantly.
A huge part of the problem we have is a board who do not know how to manage a football club.
Ole has a solid team of coaches with him.

If he is given the support he needs, he can take us to the summit. But it is not going to happen immediately.

always_hoping

How is it the same mistake with Jose and LVG? These were proven winners with a history of silverware. Poch doesn't have that yet, but is proven in building a strong philosophy in this league with tangible progress year on year over a longer term. He's literally the opposite of someone like Jose.
When Jose was appointed his final season with Chelsea was ignored and was talked up on his past success. Likewise we are meant to ignore how Spurs have been doing in 2019 while talk up Poch for how he has done before 2019?

Poch is at a club that suits him. IMO he wouldn't last very long at a club whereby the pressure and expectation to succeed is far greater than Spurs.

Dec9003

Nah, we had backing this summer, I think we made errors in the market by not adequately replacing Trippier and going for an up and comer in Sessegnon rather than someone more established .. but money was spent.

I think it's just reached a point now where we could do with new ideas and a new approach, and Pochettino could do with a new project. He's a great manager and will do well wherever he goes, but I think quite a few players are tired of his methods and his constant whining in the press and looking miserable isn't helping anybody.
Yeah you're probably right about Poch.
The only problem is who could you replace him with? Maybe someone like Howe who probably deserves a chance at a bigger club.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Yea the methods that got Spurs to the champions league finals for the first time in their history and consistently top four :lol:. If those players are tired of that method then, it is understandable where the problems lie in your team.