A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Icemav

We will see what your view is when we play mid - lower table teams and can barely create chances.

What Poch done for Southampton and Spurs was brilliant. Get your short term glasses off and look where Spurs were before Poch came in and where he left them. He had no money to spend last year and still managed to have a decent season.
Do you think the brilliant work Poch has done is better than Brenden Rodgers managerial achievements?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The one thing I never liked about Pochettino was what I sensed to be 'his signings'.

Im all for Ole building something up with a transfer window in January & maybe some early transfers for summer like James. If he isn't good enough then maybe Pochettino could come.

I feel Pochettino tactically can be flexible yet he can be quite fixed in his type of player. That worries me a bit because i don't see it matching the younger fluid identity Ole is trying to build here even if it does end up failing.

It just reminds me a bit of Mourinho post LVG trying to stick a Lukaku in the middle of Rashford or Martial & wondering why it isn't exactly working. Even if it's not the same, it has the potential to be a diluted version of it.

Flexdegea

Bro, give it a rest. The cafe will revert back to ole out if we fail to beat everton. Deep down, everybody knows that Ole is not the right man for the job.

For the rebuild that we trying to achieve at the moment he is most certainly the man for the job.

Be madness to change managers this season. Especially with another 100mil+ pumped into the team.

Deserves another 2 windows imo to see who goes and who stays. Building a very young team.

2/3 plan for me,

Denis' cuff

For the rebuild that we trying to achieve at the moment he is most certainly the man for the job.

Be madness to change managers this season. Especially with another 100mil+ pumped into the team.

Deserves another 2 windows imo to see who goes and who stays. Building a very young team.

2/3 plan for me,

Common sense. (Which isn’t really all that common)

romufc

Exctly. Spurs were always there near Champions League places. He took them little step forward. Not like it was jumping over a canyon.

Only those signing? What about putting to your list: Yedlin, Alli, Dier, Fazio, Stambouli, Vorm, Davies, Wimmer, Njie, Janssen, Nkoudou, Foyth, Llorente, Gazzaniga, Clarke, Ndombele, Sessengon
Yes from near Champions league qualification to near winning it? If you think that is a little step forward then there is no point having a discussion with you.

Yes those signings are not the £20m plus they are more punts, what manager in the PL over 6 year period has had 100% signings successful? Name one.

Flexdegea

Common sense. (Which isn’t really all that common)

Common sense has went out the window around here.

Emotion has took over, no one has patience or can see the big picture. Why you have mad discussions about bringing in a manager who just got sacked by a club and is currently going thru the lowest ebb of his manager career, yeah that makes perfect sense, would be the United thing to do, create another cycle of failure.

romufc

Do you think the brilliant work Poch has done is better than Brenden Rodgers managerial achievements?
No they are two both very good managers.

We can talk about a rebuild all we like because it is a narrative that buys the club some time. But have a look at Leicester and the noises before Brendan was appointed.

They couldnt score a goal, football was dreadful and look at them a year later.

What a good manager does.

romufc

Bro, give it a rest. The cafe will revert back to ole out if we fail to beat everton. Deep down, everybody knows that Ole is not the right man for the job.
Give what a rest?

That is what I am trying to say, the last few results are covering the cracks where we are not that good when we have to break teams down or we go 1-0 down.

romufc

Let’s be fair, ‘challenge’ is a stretch despite their league positions. They rose slightly up the table at a time when many of the established top clubs we’re struggling.
Established clubs struggling, so we should not give credit to someone?

romufc

What exactly are they challenging?

They came third in a two-horse race with Leicester and bottled a (very lucky) CL appearance.

Under Poch they've never come close to winning anything, his points toatals in the league are about where they were before he joined.

What a great job!
Yes getting into a Champions League final is not close to winning anything.

cyberman

That run also coincided with massive upheaval at United and a waining Wenger / Chelsea collapse.
Poch at Spurs prior to those 5 years wouldnt have finished 2nd or third. Not once imo. Not when top 4 was basically locked up with great sides.
Bet its a coincidence that those league finishes have fallen away when the EPL are starting to get themselves together again huh?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That run also coincided with massive upheaval at United and a waining Wenger / Chelsea collapse.
Poch at Spurs prior to those 5 years wouldnt have finished 2nd or third. Not once imo. Not when top 4 was basically locked up with great sides.
Bet its a coincidence that those league finishes have fallen away when the EPL are starting to get themselves together again huh?
This is based on the false premise that Spurs can only do well if others decline. Next you'll be arguing that Spurs only reached the CL final last season because of the decline of Real Madrid, Barca etc.

You also claim that "the EPL are starting to get themselves together again", by which I assume you mean the usual top 4 clubs before Spurs arrived. But the last time I looked at the table, United, Arsenal and Chelsea - who used to be all part of the usual top 4 - are all pretty much in the same dog-fight for top 4 that Spurs are in.

rampo

Oh man, nice to know you know all of us from deep down

romufc

Di Matteo won it, shouldn't we be after him if we are accounting ability off a freak cup run
I considered not responding to this because that is such a lazy post without any context which says alot.

But I will put it in context for you because you may not have been able to find some facts.

Chelsea during that time were probably at one of their strongest periods where they finished 2nd year before and 1st year before that and consistently getting far in the champions League.

DI Matteo took over a team with serial winners and didnt have to do much.

Poch took Spurs to a final after 5 years of building the team. There was progression year on year.

romufc

Did they get winner's medals ?
Oh so the argument is now he didn't win the Champions league not he wasnt close?

All I said was he is a good manager, but if we are judging on having a manager on winning the Champions League then there is nothing else for me to say.

I wouldn't mind giving managers who have shown they can get teams playing well, Ole has shown that but only V the bigger teams.

ROFLUTION

I said you should just watch the game and do the analysis yourself but since it seems to difficult, let’s break it down again one more time in the forum...

1/ difficulty to score? Yes we’ve been scoring more so we must have some answers. But then we only took 2 pts against Sheffield or Villa? Alright do we need to fix the defense and the lapse of focus?

2/ fantastic! In the last games, we have had to defend and we kept the focus! So we are making progress!

or no, he’s still s*** and doesn’t understand anything about football anyway. Am I doing this right? Yeah, why do I bother, really... do you even look at the game and think about the tactical implication happening on the field or do you only look at the score or don’t you ever care about understanding what’s happening on the field when you watch games?!?
I can't argue with this. It's too braindead and yelling.

starman

I considered not responding to this because that is such a lazy post without any context which says alot.

But I will put it in context for you because you may not have been able to find some facts.

Chelsea during that time were probably at one of their strongest periods where they finished 2nd year before and 1st year before that and consistently getting far in the champions League.

Poch took Spurs to a final after 5 years of building the team. There was progression year on year.
The post I was responding to was lazy.

And you make out that Spurs were some sort of nothing club, and Poch built them up from that. Other than the freak cup run, they are not much better than when Redknapp was there, and he was competing with much better Arsenal, Chelsea & United teams.

cyberman

This is based on the false premise that Spurs can only do well if others decline. Next you'll be arguing that Spurs only reached the CL final last season because of the decline of Real Madrid, Barca etc.

You also claim that "the EPL are starting to get themselves together again", by which I assume you mean the usual top 4 clubs before Spurs arrived. But the last time I looked at the table, United, Arsenal and Chelsea - who used to be all part of the usual top 4 - are all pretty much in the same dog-fight for top 4 that Spurs are in.
No. What im saying is there wasnt intense competition for top 4 over the last few years so its an unfair comparison.
Unless youre saying Redknapps Spurs side would struggle to finish above these versions of Arsenal and Utd?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

If you like context so much, why don't you put into context that they were in fact extremely lucky to reach the CL final, that they barely turned up for that game, and that it all happened while they were floundering in the league since the beginning of the year.

romufc

The post I was responding to was lazy.

And you make out that Spurs were some sort of nothing club, and Poch built them up from that. Other than the freak cup run, they are not much better than when Redknapp was there, and he was competing with much better Arsenal, Chelsea & United teams.
Please point out to me where I have mentioned Spurs were a nothing club? Redknap was competing against better teams because the clubs had better managers.

Obviously you don't remember that Poch was in charge when Jose won the league or Conte?
And he was competing with a much better Liverpool, City and Leicester.

When he was appointed in 15, Spurs had not been in the Champions League since 2010, achieved their highest ever Prem finish and got them to a Champions League Final.

If I use your own theory, a manutd manager cannot even guarantee Champions League finish given Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs are way below the standard, what does that say about the man in charge?

I want to see Ole do well and show signs of improvements but that does not mean you do not respect what other managers have done for their respective clubs. Same goes with Rodgers. Look at where Leicester were when Puel was sacked.. 12th. a year on with a better coach look at them.

If Liverpool win the league it is because they deserve it, but people like you will always look to dress that down by saying oh the other teams were shit.

Icemav

No they are two both very good managers.

We can talk about a rebuild all we like because it is a narrative that buys the club some time. But have a look at Leicester and the noises before Brendan was appointed.

They couldnt score a goal, football was dreadful and look at them a year later.

What a good manager does.
It is. And in my opinion Brendan's achievements are superior to Poch's. And if Leicester finish 2nd this season then considerably moreso.

That aside Ole and and our young players are trying their guts out and they should be supported 100%. Lets see how this plays out.

Icemav

If you like context so much, why don't you put into context that they were in fact extremely lucky to reach the CL final, that they barely turned up for that game, and that it all happened while they were floundering in the league since the beginning of the year.
Because it wouldnt overstate Poch's achievements. Wink wink. Good manager who lacks a great managers ability to win things.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

He took us to the League Cup final in his first year too, and 2 FA Cup Semi's, and didn't manage to take us over the time with a team more than capable of doing so. Can I ask where you see the progression year on year in the League? Poch done very well to stablise us in the top four finishing there year on year, I don't really see the progression.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He took us to the League Cup final in his first year too, and 2 FA Cup Semi's, and didn't manage to take us over the time with a team more than capable of doing so. Can I ask where you see the progression year on year in the League? Poch done very well to stablise us in the top four finishing there year on year, I don't really see the progression.
I'd say that was progression in and of itself. Before Poch, when were you constant regulars in Europe's top cup competition?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'd say that was progression in and of itself. Before Poch, when were you constant regulars in Europe's top cup competition?
I mean the progression on from that, the maintaining of top four and adding a trophy, he had gotten us to 2 finals and 3 semi finals in the time. He got us consistently in the top four yes and stabilised us there.

Last edited:

romufc

It is. And in my opinion Brendan's achievements are superior to Poch's. And if Leicester finish 2nd this season then considerably moreso.

That aside Ole and and our young players are trying their guts out and they should be supported 100%. Lets see how this plays out.
Agreed, I think Brendan is a better manager because we have seen what he can do at Swansea, Watford and taking Liverpool to 2nd, unbeaten with Celtic and now Leicester.

I am all for Ole to be supported this season because lets face it a new manager will come in but it wont make the biggest difference with the squad we have.

I want to see Ole hopefully with a couple reinforcements and how we play because whenever he has had his preferred 11 out, we do play decent football.

Lets see how this season plays out, because he is willing to give youngsters a chance and who knows maybe that might save us millions in the transfer window.

romufc

Tbh you are a Spurs fan and know more about how the club was run and how you rate him as a manager.

But from the outside

15/16 - 3rd + 34 6 losses
16/17 - 2nd - +60 GD 4 losses
17/18 - 3rd - +38 GD 7 losses
18/19 - 4th

He had the same squad with no signings going into last season and was 2/3rd uptil Jan/Feb and then once they started doing well in the Champions League the league form deteriorated because of lack of squad depth.

Spurs have never been challengers anyway so no one expects spurs to challenge.

But anyway lets see what Jose can do.

Icemav

Agreed, I think Brendan is a better manager because we have seen what he can do at Swansea, Watford and taking Liverpool to 2nd, unbeaten with Celtic and now Leicester.

I am all for Ole to be supported this season because lets face it a new manager will come in but it wont make the biggest difference with the squad we have.

I want to see Ole hopefully with a couple reinforcements and how we play because whenever he has had his preferred 11 out, we do play decent football.

Lets see how this season plays out, because he is willing to give youngsters a chance and who knows maybe that might save us millions in the transfer window.
Agree that a change right now could be very counterproductive and damaging.

And its important to note that Ole has apparently made big changes behind the scenes and almost everybody at the club is behind him especially the players. He has jettisoned a few experienced players and we are going through some serious growing pains with a very young squad. They will of course be inconsistent but seeing the results this past week is great reward for their endeavor and faith in what is being built by Ole. We could easily lose to Everton this weekend, it wouldnt surprise in the slightest, but we have seen the potential. The football is fast and exciting at times played by young talent. That should be supported.

Just chuffed we got those wins because whatever the long term strategy you have to balance that with some results and things were becoming tenuous. They now have given themselves a platform to work from.

romufc

Agree that a change right now could be very counterproductive and damaging.

And its important to note that Ole has apparently made big changes behind the scenes and almost everybody at the club is behind him especially the players. He has jettisoned a few experienced players and we are going through some serious growing pains with a very young squad. They will of course be inconsistent but seeing the results this past week is great reward for their endeavor and faith in what is being built by Ole. We could easily lose to Everton this weekend, it wouldnt surprise in the slightest, but we have seen the potential. The football is fast and exciting at times played by young talent. That should be supported.

Just chuffed we got those wins because whatever the long term strategy you have to balance that with some results and things were becoming tenuous. They now have given themselves a platform to work from.
I agree, the two results have shown he is tactically good enough to some extent and the players are playing for him. The one thing we can be sure of is that he has not lost the dressing room.

He knew the consequences of not signings players but instead he trusted Martial, Lingard, Rashford, McT, Pogba, James, some have repaid the faith and some haven't.

I also read we are making changes to the recruitment policy where it is more based on numbers and data, if that is true, it might be the most important change yet because lets face it, our transfer activity until this summer has been woeful.

Going to City and doing what we did was brilliant, winning big games gives you confidence and some people may destroy me for saying this but I feel we are 3/4 players from challenging for the title.

Icemav

I agree, the two results have shown he is tactically good enough to some extent and the players are playing for him. The one thing we can be sure of is that he has not lost the dressing room.

He knew the consequences of not signings players but instead he trusted Martial, Lingard, Rashford, McT, Pogba, James, some have repaid the faith and some haven't.

I also read we are making changes to the recruitment policy where it is more based on numbers and data, if that is true, it might be the most important change yet because lets face it, our transfer activity until this summer has been woeful.

Going to City and doing what we did was brilliant, winning big games gives you confidence and some people may destroy me for saying this but I feel we are 3/4 players from challenging for the title.
Yes tactically he can really rip apart certain big teams. Now its about keeping that going for longer in a game and also beong able to retain possession better and take the sting out if te opposition when they try to come back at us.

Gasolin

I can't argue with this. It's too braindead and yelling.
Braindead when you have at least 2 facts? I obviously simplified the concepts since apparently, analyzing games is not something you want to do.
But again, I just invite you to watch the last 4 EPL games and draw your own conclusion, beyond the stupid points in the league. Look at team movement, goal patterns, and timeline please.

cyberman

Tbh you are a Spurs fan and know more about how the club was run and how you rate him as a manager.

But from the outside

15/16 - 3rd + 34 6 losses
16/17 - 2nd - +60 GD 4 losses
17/18 - 3rd - +38 GD 7 losses
18/19 - 4th

He had the same squad with no signings going into last season and was 2/3rd uptil Jan/Feb and then once they started doing well in the Champions League the league form deteriorated because of lack of squad depth.

Spurs have never been challengers anyway so no one expects spurs to challenge.

But anyway lets see what Jose can do.
Form deteriorated long before they did well in Europe. Their fans consistently quesioned the quality of their performances throughout the season
Blaming CL is a cop out.

romufc

Form deteriorated long before they did well in Europe. Their fans consistently quesioned the quality of their performances throughout the season
Blaming CL is a cop out.
Its no surprise it deteriorated after Jose got fired.

90 + 5min

Yes from near Champions league qualification to near winning it? If you think that is a little step forward then there is no point having a discussion with you.

Yes those signings are not the £20m plus they are more punts, what manager in the PL over 6 year period has had 100% signings successful? Name one.
I have never mentioned anything about 100% successful. It was reply on who he bought that you left out. Your talk about him not having founds to buy.

Playing in finale is good. But it is small step forward because it was like they didn’t came final. Refs helped them against City and they were lucky against Ajax. Not that it matters in the end. They didn’t won and if they took any step forward they went backwards now. When he got fired they were worse then managers before him.

romufc

I have never mentioned anything about 100% successful. It was reply on who he bought that you left out. Your talk about him not having founds to buy.

Playing in finale is good. But it is small step forward because it was like they didn’t came final. Refs helped them against City and they were lucky against Ajax. Not that it matters in the end. They didn’t won and if they took any step forward they went backwards now. When he got fired they were worse then managers before him.
That's such a salty thing to say.. luck and ref. So can you entertain me how the ref's helped them V city? which decision did the ref get wrong?

Lucky against Ajax how so?

Does Manutds win V Bayern and Chelsea in the finals mean less because they were lucky?

I would absolutely love Manutd to make a small step forward if that means getting into a Champions League Final.