A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Adnan

Talent Spotter

No English though, but im guessing your tweet pretty much sums up the article. No idea on credibility of the guy, but certainly followed by alot of journalists in the UK
He's a good journo in Italy. Very close to Maurizio Sarri.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd be absolutely amazed if he isn't appointed the new manager at the end of the season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe he doesnt actually want to come here.
Maybe, but I feel he's waiting to takeover the reigns in the summer and our hierarchy are in contact with him currently.

The call from Florida will come to put an end to Ole's tenure at the club at the end of the season imo.

Rolaholic

No English though, but im guessing your tweet pretty much sums up the article. No idea on credibility of the guy, but certainly followed by alot of journalists in the UK
Not even religious but I'll pray and sing to the high heavens for this to be true over the other story doing the rounds about the club still having faith in Ole and wanting to afford him more time...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
A serious look at him. Will he get the best out of our team? I'm thinking in terms of personnel, if his tactics fit us? Most managers do not stay more than 5 years, and at this club he''ll probably only have a season or two before he moves on. So he wont have 2-3 transfer windows to build a new squad, he will have to work with what he has got in that time frame so is his profile and tactics something that instantly improve our players? Or does he need to buy his own players to fit in a particular system?

passing-wind

I m not hopefully about the situation. We have made a lot of bad decisions post Sir Alex and hiring Pochettino would be the best decision we have made. I don’t see it happening as a result.

However, we are building a young energetic squad and Pochettino thrive with such players.He will be the right man to take up this process and turn it into something fruitful. Fourfourtwo just claimed that Pochettino is the third best manager in the premier league in the past decade. Moreover, the independent has a good article that states how United could be passing on a historical opportunity to hire Pochettino who has the best track record in our modern game towards rebuilding a team.

We all know what has to be done. It is up to the board to realize this as well.
Delaney is speaking nothing but truths, he's using Solskjaer in a way how every fan should refer to Ole and that's as a mediocre aimless manager with no sense of direction for a club our size.

passing-wind

Earnestly hope this news is true

Cloud7

These stories about United talking to Poch are the best news I’ve seen regarding United all season.

passing-wind

A serious look at him. Will he get the best out of our team? I'm thinking in terms of personnel, if his tactics fit us? Most managers do not stay more than 5 years, and at this club he''ll probably only have a season or two before he moves on. So he wont have 2-3 transfer windows to build a new squad, he will have to work with what he has got in that time frame so is his profile and tactics something that instantly improve our players? Or does he need to buy his own players to fit in a particular system?
He's aided in the development of Kane, Alli, Son, Moura, Alderweireld. Reached a UCL final with Winks / Sissoko anchoring the midfield. That's as impressive as what Klopps done with Henderson / Milner. Four lots of midfielders who if camee to our club would serve up no better performances than pereira. Poch has comfortably settled any coaching arguments.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Pochettino's 3 at the back season was my favourite spurs season ever.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's aided in the development of Kane, Alli, Son, Moura, Alderweireld. Reached a UCL final with Winks / Sissoko anchoring the midfield. That's as impressive as what Klopps done with Henderson / Milner. Four lots of midfielders who if camee to our club would serve up no better performances than pereira. Poch has comfortably settled any coaching arguments.
They are better than Pereira but that is besides the point. My post was more questioning if he has what he needs immediately for his tactics to work? Does he need a lot of time to build a team? Will he replace the wingers like James, Rashford and Martial with midfielders similar to Son and Alli? If he comes in and will play a 3 back system he might need two CB signings, unless he is supposed to transform Shaw and AWB to CB's and use Williams and Laird as fullbacks. McTominay and Fred in the middle?

I don't know a whole lot about his tactics honestly. It has been a few years since I was impressed by Spurs general play. I think they had largely a very rigid, reserved style of play. Will probably be different at this club, but it is hard to tell because I don't know what he did before Spurs.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I want a world class motivator. I really think it's what's we need on top of having a good system. I'm really not sure Poch is that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Who is that?
I don't know. It's not my job to. I know Pep and Klopp are and it's visible the effect it has (or did have, at City).

Poch is better than what we have, and I'd rather have him over Ole any day. I just don't know if he's exactly what we need.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't know. It's not my job to. I know Pep and Klopp are and it's visible the effect it has (or did have, at City).

Poch is better than what we have, and I'd rather have him over Ole any day. I just don't know if he's exactly what we need.
How would you put these in order -

Pochettino, Simeone, Allegri, Tuchel?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
How would you put these in order -

Pochettino, Simeone, Allegri, Tuchel?
Simeone>>>>>Allegri>>Poch>>>>Tuchel

People bang on about Poch reaching the UCL final with Spurs, but Siemeone has reached two and has also won La Liga, ELx2 and some cups. Allegri won a lot of Serie A titles, but Juventus are comfortably better than pretty much everyone else. Poch took Spurs up a level, but has won nothing. Tuchel's claim to fame is winning the league with PSG which is like stealing candy from a baby.

It might very well be Ole is sacked in the summer, but imo there are better coaches out there than Poch

Eddy_JukeZ

Simeone>>>>>Allegri>>Poch>>>>Tuchel

People bang on about Poch reaching the UCL final with Spurs, but Siemeone has reached two and has also won La Liga, ELx2 and some cups. Allegri won a lot of Serie A titles, but Juventus are comfortably better than pretty much everyone else. Poch took Spurs up a level, but has won nothing. Tuchel's claim to fame is winning the league with PSG which is like stealing candy from a baby.

It might very well be Ole is sacked in the summer, but imo there are better coaches out there than Poch
Simeone is Jose-like.

His teams play awful football. Rather get a progressive, proactive manager.

troylocker

I really don't understand the Poch-hype. He has done nothing out of the ordinary to convince me he should take any big club anywhere. He helped Spurs elevate from top 6 to top 4 and down again, reached a CL-final by the smallest and luckiest margin in modern football (late goals to win on the away goal rule twice), just to be mopped off the floor in the final and has won exactly zero trophies in his manager career.
Sometimes a manager is just lucky with the generation of players at his disposal at a club. Poch is one of those. The core of the team, Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Alli, Kane, Son and Eriksen would be top players under any other manager as well.
Likable guy and decent manager, but should not be causing wet dreams for any Manchester United supporters.

L1nk

I really don't understand the Poch-hype. He has done nothing out of the ordinary to convince me he should take any big club anywhere. He helped Spurs elevate from top 6 to top 4 and down again, reached a CL-final by the smallest and luckiest margin in modern football (late goals to win on the away goal rule twice), just to be mopped off the floor in the final and has won exactly zero trophies in his manager career.
Sometimes a manager is just lucky with the generation of players at his disposal at a club. Poch is one of those. The core of the team, Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Alli, Kane, Son and Eriksen would be top players under any other manager as well.
Likable guy and decent manager, but should not be causing wet dreams for any Manchester United supporters.
Well Solskjaer is causing wet dreams for a lot of Manchester United fans and he's far worse and far more unaccomplished than Poch. That's just where we are really

troylocker

Well Solskjaer is causing wet dreams for a lot of Manchester United fans and he's far worse and far more unaccomplished than Poch. That's just where we are really
Is this supposed to be an argument for or against Poch? …., or is it just bashing Ole and Ole-in-people in a Poch-thread?

Manager CV Poch:

- Espanyol 2009-2012 (placed 12. , 11. ,8. , 14. and was forced out in the 12/13 season after round 13 where Espanyol were rock bottom of the table)
- Southampton 2013-2014 (placed 14. and 8., the last season was a great accomplishment with the squad he had and got him the Spurs-job)
- Spurs 2014-2019 (5. , 3. , 2. , 3. , 4. and was fired after losing the wardrobe, winning only 14 points in 10 games in the league and getting knocked out of the league-cup by Rochdale)

Trophies: 0
People would probably say he's preferred style of play is attractive attacking football.

That's pretty much it. He has been good, bad and average in his manager career, maybe weighted most on the former of the three, but has never been phenomenal. Nothing in his CV would suggest this is the right man to win major titles and glory with us.

L1nk

Is this supposed to be an argument for or against Poch? …., or is it just bashing Ole and Ole-in-people in a Poch-thread?

Manager CV Poch:

- Espanyol 2009-2012 (placed 12. , 11. ,8. , 14. and was forced out in the 12/13 season after round 13 where Espanyol were rock bottom of the table)
- Southampton 2013-2014 (placed 14. and 8., the last season was a great accomplishment with the squad he had and got him the Spurs-job)
- Spurs 2014-2019 (5. , 3. , 2. , 3. , 4. and was fired after losing the wardrobe, winning only 14 points in 10 games in the league and getting knocked out of the league-cup by Rochdale)

Trophies: 0
People would probably say he's preferred style of play is attractive attacking football.

That's pretty much it. He has been good, bad and average in his manager career, maybe weighted most on the former of the three, but has never been phenomenal. Nothing in his CV would suggest this is the right man to win major titles and glory with us.
It's to suggest how can anyone argue against Poch yet champion Ole at the same time, when Poch has proven to a far more successful manager in nearly the same amount of time, without even winning a trophy, so what does that tell you about Ole?

I'm not necessarily heavy on Poch, infact i'd rather have Marco Rose or Nagelsmann, but, he's a far better option than Ole, anybody could see that, and he's available without having to pay compensation to a club.

I don't take a lot of creedence in his last season in Spurs, yes they were doing poorly which resulted in them getting sacked, but he got them to the CL final the season before, I know what you'll say, "Oh they got lucky getting there!" Well guess what, a lot of out best ever season as a club had to do with luck, last seasons triumph over PSG was pure luck, we got through on a goalkeeper mistake from Buffon of all people, a defenders short backpass and a last gasp penalty. Let's not pretend we've never got by on luck, even during Sir Alex's reign.

There is context to every situation, Klopp also had a disastrous last season at Dortmund, is Pochettino Klopp? No of course not, but you get my point, why everyone is so obsessed with "WELL HE HASN'T WON A TROPHY" that seems to be everyones criteria at this club, and I don't understand it, other big clubs like Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, look at their manager recruitment, Barca for example just hired Quique Setién, guess what, he's never won anything in his life, are all the fans and the club crying out "BUT HE HASN'T WON ANYTHING!?" No, they aren't, I genuinely have no clue why everyone here is so fixated on it when the biggest clubs in the world aren't, they see what the manager has brought to the table and want to see it applied and them take the step up.

passing-wind

That's all well and good but maybe you should focus on what we have instead in Solskjaer who is a monumental downgrade to someone like Poch. In fact in world football right now most managers who are doing well domestically hardly have the biggest CVs.

Schneckerl

You all talk about Mauricio Pochettino like he is some kind of Messiah, he has done NOTHING in the game in terms of actual achievements. 290 pages of rambling nonsense about a manager who has done nothing, is a perfect example of how far we have fallen as a club, and footballing giant.
Bizarre fanboyism for a manager whose only achievements are bagging top 4 for a few seasons by default, because the competition were terrible at the time, and lucking his way to a CL final for which they didn’t bother turning up anyway.

Speaks volumes that at his absolute peak of management, he was soundly beaten to the title by the mighty Leicester.
Bizarre how some forum posters think he has done nothing. Yet, he's universally praised by people involved in football (other managers, players), and the biggest clubs in the world are interested in hiring him.

I wonder which group is way off here.

Zen86

Bizarre how some forum posters think he has done nothing. Yet, he's universally praised by people involved in football (other managers, players), and the biggest clubs in the world are interested in hiring him.

I wonder which group is way off here.
Nothing wrong with people praising him, he’s a good manager, but he’s far from being this world class saviour who will mastermind us back to the top, and he’s absolutely nowhere near Klopp, Guardiola, or anyone else in that bracket.

G_and_T

I don't know why people love Pochettino so much. Just reminds me of the fuss people made about Jose... we all know how that panned out. We might need a new manager, but Ole is working with a squad that desperately needs reinforcement. I don't think Poch is gonna come in and turn Andreas into a world beater, or make Matic run faster...

saivet

I don't think most of us think he will be our saviour or make is anywhere near Klopp or Pep but he's clearly a massive upgrade on Ole, though many managers fall into that category.

Poch is just the one that seems most realistic.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am more and more confident. All this reminds me how hiring Mourinho was "worst kept secret in football" for months during LVG last season.

Bwuk

Unless we go on a stupid run and start winning every game (won't happen), I'd imagine Poch will end up here in the summer.

Zlatattack

Personally I'd love to see him here in the summer. I think he's our best bet at getting in a manager that can build a title challenging side.