A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Wayne's World

Some links doing the rounds of Poch going to Atletico.

Could be a really good fit and change from the premier league, a top club that can spend sometimes and has a young player in Felix he can help bring on like Kane. Only downside is you're up against the big two.

I'd hope we're looking at Poch or someone for the job next season but increasingly feel the club might stick with Ole and will be out of sync again when letting him go and possibly Poch might not be as interested. Would be typical of us to come in late near the end of the season and his move elsewhere is already done and dusted.
If Poch does go to Atletico(Actually think he would suit them really well too) then I hope we go all out for Julian Nagelsmann or Marco Rose. The next two up and coming great managers that are coming through and we'll be both have trophy wins on their CV very soon wherever they end up.

Or we'll go for Simeone and boy that would be fun....(And I mean his antics on the touchline, not his general footballing sides)

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I hope we're keeping tabs on him.

Woke up with a terrifying thought this morning, that our club decided to part ways with Ole in the summer. But after a successful run to the SF for the English Lions, they have appointed Gareth Southgate as our new manager :nervous:

0le

If Poch does go to Atletico(Actually think he would suit them really well too) then I hope we go all out for Julian Nagelsmann or Marco Rose. The next two up and coming great managers that are coming through and we'll be both have trophy wins on their CV very soon wherever they end up.

Or we'll go for Simeone and boy that would be fun....(And I mean his antics on the touchline, not his general footballing sides)
I agree with the first two, but I don't want Simeone because it will be another completely different play style that will only suit some players and not others. I think I would grow frustrated with his style of play as well, and I am sure other fans would agree.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
- Poch consistent CL qualifying record (value financially)
- Woodward’s prior interest in Poch (even when there would have been compensation involved)
- Ole’s awful performance since becoming manager proper (removing doubt very early on about his abilities)
- Ole’s relaxed demeanor under increasing pressure
- January window (one Poch signing and one temporary loan)
- Money involved for Poch signing during season
- No real concrete news on his future

I think this is done for the summer already. I think it’s becoming increasingly clear and I would welcome it. We need a coach and we need top 4 consistency to stop our sliding reputation.

USREDEVIL

- Woodward’s prior interest in Poch (even when there would have been compensation involved)
- Ole’s awful performance since becoming manager proper (removing doubt very early on about his abilities)

I think this is done for the summer already. I think it’s becoming increasingly clear and I would welcome it. We need a coach and we need top 4 consistency to stop our sliding reputation.
Can't argue with much of this. I think that the board/ed are just waiting to see how the year pans out. But considering the trend, I think we know the answer in the League. The only wild card is the Europa League.

Seij

I wish you were right but feel that the most of the points you make are rather far-fetched.

- Ole's awful performances: At least 30% of the fans here are still eating up "Ole at the wheel, just give him time and he will become the next Klopp" and Woody certainly seems comfortable with someone who will never say anything against the boss and will probably continue to get that 30% absolute fan support even through relegation.
- Ole's relaxed demeanor... I'm not really seeing that. He seems like a desperate man trying to save his job by playing up positivity.
- Woody did his typical move during the January window waiting till the last minute. We were supposedly interested in Bruno last summer when Poch was still with Spurs. Ighalo's agent is a business associate of Solskjaer's agent.

My cynical guess is that Poch will have committed to another club by the time Woody considers looking for Ole's replacement toward the end of the season.

AneRu

I wish you were right but feel that the most of the points you make are rather far-fetched.

- Ole's awful performances: At least 30% of the fans here are still eating up "Ole at the wheel, just give him time and he will become the next Klopp" and Woody certainly seems comfortable with someone who will never say anything against the boss and will probably continue to get that 30% absolute fan support even through relegation.
- Ole's relaxed demeanor... I'm not really seeing that. He seems like a desperate man trying to save his job by playing up positivity.
- Woody did his typical move during the January window waiting till the last minute. We were supposedly interested in Bruno last summer when Poch was still with Spurs. Ighalo's agent is a business associate of Solskjaer's agent.

My cynical guess is that Poch will have committed to another club by the time Woody considers looking for Ole's replacement toward the end of the season.
In my view Ole will be given a chance to rescue the season via the Europa League or the now highly unlikely top 4 finish. If he falls short of both goals he will be out because our poor performances are now eating into revenues and affecting sponsor relationships. Pochettino is such an obvious candidate that I won't be shocked if discussions have already been held.

What he achieved at Tottenham suits the direction the Glazers/Woodward want to go: build a competitive team without spending large sums of money. We have a few youngsters on the crisp that he could help grow into the team like he did with Kane etc and here he will have the knowledge that should a big signing be needed we have the will and the funds to pull it off. Looks like match made in heaven imo.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It seems it's mostly Ole in supporters who don't rate Poch at all, because he hasn't won trophies with Southampton and Spurs. How would the spurs supporters here overall rate Poch?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It seems it's mostly Ole in supporters who don't rate Poch at all, because he hasn't won trophies with Southampton and Spurs. How would the spurs supporters here overall rate Poch?
Ole in fans don't rate Poch as they don't want to accept Poch is better manager. Jose fans and usual CV fans don't rate Poch as he lacks winning mentality and lacks CV (at least that was the case back then)

Would be brilliant addition for us, especially with the profile of our squad with so many young players who need proper direction and coaching.

reddevilchennai

Ole in fans don't rate Poch as they don't want to accept Poch is better manager. Jose fans and usual CV fans don't rate Poch as he lacks winning mentality and lacks CV (at least that was the case back then)

Would be brilliant addition for us, especially with the profile of our squad with so many young players who need proper direction and coaching.
Poch is not the best manager out there when compared to Nagelsmann/Marco Rose. He is the best we can get this time around.

No chance of Nagelsmann or Marco Rose signing for us this summer after signing for new clubs recently.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
He was a victory against Liverpool away from winning the biggest prize of all, knocking out Man City and a brilliant Ajax team on the way.

As a Liverpool fan I hope you don't get Pochettino as he's the best manager you could possibly get for the job you need to do.

Righteous Steps

Poch is a great manager one of the very best, whoever gets him next will be lucky. There is a shortage of top class coaches and he is top class.

mu4c_20le

Poch is a great manager one of the very best, whoever gets him next will be lucky. There is a shortage of top class coaches and he is top class.
That's quite a claim, considering he hasn't won anything. Reaching the CL final was nice, but lets be honest, he was nowhere near close to winning it, and isn't a title challenging manager.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Precisely this. There is no manager who can deliver trophies for sure. Every appointment is a gamble. At least we will be happy that we have a coach who knows how to coach a team.

We only had LVG since SAF

Righteous Steps

That's quite a claim, considering he hasn't won anything. Reaching the CL final was nice, but lets be honest, he was nowhere near close to winning it, and isn't a title challenging manager.
If we go on trophies won then the likes of Mourinho Ancellotti etc would be the best around but we no that’s no longer the case.

mu4c_20le

If we go on trophies won then the likes of Mourinho Ancellotti etc would be the best around but we no that’s no longer the case.
I would've loved Ancelotti here to be fair, I didn't think he was obtainable when we were on that bad run. Better than Poch in every way.

Champagne Football

I would've loved Ancelotti here to be fair, I didn't think he was obtainable when we were on that bad run. Better than Poch in every way.
He'll last a season or two max at Everton. Italian managers come in with a bang, then are gone a year later. Jesse Marsch is an up and coming manager who looks destined for the top. Nagelsmann and Rose are super options too.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Everyone is a loser until they win something.

We need propper coaching and guidance for our young squad. Lack of trophies? It’s not like we are winning any significant trophy in the following 2-3 years.

Poch is the man to take us forward for a few seasons.

Utdstar01

Ole has great credentials. One Norwegian title to his name. Way better than anything Poch has ever amassed.

On a more serious note... If this club has any real ambition then they will look to hire a better, more qualified manager for the new season.

AaronRedDevil

Ole has great credentials. One Norwegian title to his name. Way better than anything Poch has ever amassed.

On a more serious note... If this club has any real ambition then they will look to hire a better, more qualified manager for the new season.
None of them exist right now. All of them are staying in their clubs. Nearly every good manager that's won a bunch of trophies arent moving. All United are gonna get is a choice of the best 2nd place managers. United have missed out on every possible opportunity to get a great one but decided to stay loyal to the one they already have.

Caesar2290

I'm kind of torn on Poch right now.

If you listen to Dany Rose's interview he talks about the fact that Poch lost it after the CL final. He felt betrayed by the players and thought that they haven't tried enough. This is why he went full authoritarian mode this season(sound familiar) and the players didn't respond well to his personality change.

Right now he might be a Jose Mk.II in the making. A jaded and bitter manager who felt betrayed by his previous team(in Jose's case it was Real and Chelsea). Judging by the fact that he demanded to be backed to the hilt in the transfer market kind of confirms that.

I don't know... Poch is a good manager, but unless he sorts out his trust issues, we might have another Jose situation on our hands.

For me, appointing him right now would be a HUGE gamble. But then again, if he can give us 3 good seasons I'm all for it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I can see a scenario where United stick with Ole or we wait to the end of the season, assess Ole and try to go for Poch who has either already got a job or has been in negotiations for months with whoever.

Whether it's coincidence or not, I do think Ole has done well in putting Williams in, Rashford's best season, Martial and James doing well. McTominay has been excellent. I thought Williams was ready when I first saw him, Ole said the same thing and he also sees the talent of Greenwood and his best finisher comment has shown to be true so far. Progress is slower than some would like but he gives players like these a platform and help, Ole is good at seeing a player, and knowing United's tradition of bringing young players through, just don't think he'll be good enough manager in general unless clubs around us continue to falter.

It's tempting for the club to let Ole continue with this burgeoning squad.
I could manage ronaldo and he'll improve every year.

A good manager improves everyone in his squad, not just a or b. If half the team declines and several player improve i doubt it's thanks to the manager.

RedDevil-85

Im worried about Pochettino and his thoughts on winning trophies.
"Winning trophies only build ego"

With a weird attitude like that,not sure he is United material.
But if Ole is sacked,he may be the best available option.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pochettino over Ole is a no brainer
Question is, whether we can bag someone with even higher potential - both tactically and in terms of possibility of success. Possibly these highly rated upcoming German managers. If not, go for Pochettino. He's clearly better than what we have and most managers in the PL. My only reservations are on whether his style of football is exciting and expansive enough, whether he is strong in the transfer market and whether he can instill the winning mentality at a big club. Otherwise he's clearly an excellent manager and would be a vast improvement over what we presently have.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Precisely this. There is no manager who can deliver trophies for sure. Every appointment is a gamble. At least we will be happy that we have a coach who knows how to coach a team.

We only had LVG since SAF
Yeah, Poch has proven record when it comes to improving players and teams, also when it comes to getting more than sum of parts.

Still there are few question marks like his away record against big teams or how he couldn't get out of slump last year.

All things considered he would be very good addition for us, there are more hyped managers who might have higher potential but I don't think any of them will be leaving their clubs this summer.

Mr Smith

I will never understand this opinion.

In 2015/16 he got within inches of catching Leicester. You can criticise him because his team bottled it but they were extremely inexperienced at that stage.

In 2016/17 he pushed Chelsea closer than anyone else without having really strengthened his squad, while United and City splurged and didn't get close.

In 2017/18 and 2018/19 City won the league with 100 and 98 points respectively. You can hardly blame him for not achieving a level of quality unprecedented in the league, especially without signing anyone. Sure Liverpool eventually caught City, but the money they've spent to get there as astronomical compared to the investment at Spurs.

I will never understand the way critics punish Poch for keeping an under-resourced club firmly in the top 4 and breathing down the necks of the champions while their five rivals through money away every year just to stay competitive.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Im worried about Pochettino and his thoughts on winning trophies.
"Winning trophies only build ego"

With a weird attitude like that,not sure he is United material.
But if Ole is sacked,he may be the best available option.
He went after the big trophies UCL and PL rather than small cups. I think that shows his mentality

Morpheus 7

It's a gamble whoever we bring in, if anyone comes in the Summer. Poch is better tactically than Ole, that can't be argued. Ole is a man who loves the club but is not getting us back to the top. He's cleared the so called dead wood out of the club and will help the next manager. I think the transition between Ole to Poch is better than Jose to Ole. He can work with the current players and attract good ones, while developing the football. It's f always a sign with rival fans when they don't want us getting a certain coach. No guarantees at all under this regime that we will be successful.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's a gamble whoever we bring in, if anyone comes in the Summer. Poch is better tactically than Ole, that can't be argued. Ole is a man who loves the club but is not getting us back to the top. He's cleared the so called dead wood out of the club and will help the next manager. I think the transition between Ole to Poch is better than Jose to Ole. He can work with the current players and attract good ones, while developing the football. It's f always a sign with rival fans when they don't want us getting a certain coach. No guarantees at all under this regime that we will be successful.
Lingard Mata Matic Pereira Shaw Jones plenty of deadwood left to clear and seems like Sanchez may be our problem again next summer

The likes of Lukaku Fellaini Smalling and Herrera were not deadwood.

Greck

I'm kind of torn on Poch right now.

If you listen to Dany Rose's interview he talks about the fact that Poch lost it after the CL final. He felt betrayed by the players and thought that they haven't tried enough. This is why he went full authoritarian mode this season(sound familiar) and the players didn't respond well to his personality change.

Right now he might be a Jose Mk.II in the making. A jaded and bitter manager who felt betrayed by his previous team(in Jose's case it was Real and Chelsea). Judging by the fact that he demanded to be backed to the hilt in the transfer market kind of confirms that.

I don't know... Poch is a good manager, but unless he sorts out his trust issues, we might have another Jose situation on our hands.

For me, appointing him right now would be a HUGE gamble. But then again, if he can give us 3 good seasons I'm all for it.
Something about the time line of events is off. The wretched form started several months before they got to the final. How could his shift in attitude have caused it