A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Oldyella

Lingard Mata Matic Pereira Shaw Jones plenty of deadwood left to clear and seems like Sanchez may be our problem again next summer

The likes of Lukaku Fellaini Smalling and Herrera were not deadwood.
This.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’m somehow convinced that he has agreed to join us at the end of the season and Ole will move on.

Of course I would prefer him to Ole, but I do have my reservations about him - a lot of these reservations have been discussed in this thread already.

redshaw

I would hope the club have held talks with Poch or considered it more in recent weeks but it's a weird time as we're still to see the 2 new players and we have some to come back. A strong end to the season would make it difficult for the board and I don't think Poch wants to wait long if he is considering and being considered for the job. These things are often worked on over months so maybe even the Bruno signing is an indication but if not he'll make a move elsewhere if we don't.

Art

Art the artist
If we sell Pogba and manage to get Sancho, Grealish and Mauricio I would consider that a W. Poch will work wonders with the likes of Rashford Martial Sancho and Fred Bruno and Grealish.

Ace

For those of you that may or may not know-- Most of these managerial appointments are made behind the scenes months before public announcements. If Poch is coming, he's already signed on the dotted line.

Morpheus 7

Lingard Mata Matic Pereira Shaw Jones plenty of deadwood left to clear and seems like Sanchez may be our problem again next summer

The likes of Lukaku Fellaini Smalling and Herrera were not deadwood.
The revisionism of certain players by fans are hilarious. Lukaku didn't want to be here and didn't show up in the big games. Fellaini was in his 30's and was too slow for the way we wanted to play, everyone was happy to see him leave. Smalling was one half of the chuckle brothers and a squad player at best, because he's playing in a 5th place Roma team means nothing. Herrera would have been good to keep for the squad(not as great as people said).

The revisionism of certain players by fans are hilarious. Lukaku didn't want to be here and didn't show up in the big games. Fellaini was in his 30's and was too slow for the way we wanted to play, everyone was happy to see him leave. Smalling was one half of the chuckle brothers and a squad player at best, because he's playing in a 5th place Roma team means nothing. Herrera would have been good to keep for the squad(not as great as people said).
We have shitter players than them left is the point.

Lukaku was our top scorer with 26 two seasons ago.
Fellaini was shite but a uselful plan B.
Smalling was always a decent defender.

Lingard, Pereira, Shaw & Jones though who now get more minutes due to the above? These are all worse players.

That said, I do agree that a transition from Ole to Poch would be the smoothest and best planned since SAF took over. I think Poch would like all of the signings we've made so far and I think he'll happily continue working with McTom, Williams and Greenwood and improving them rather than wanting to spend mega money to bring in big names instead.

And because it's such a logical move, we won't do it.

Rolaholic

Make it happen Ed :drool:

Need a proper manager back at the helm after having a pretender recently

Wayne's World

Anyone else think he's actually accepted the job for the summer but we won't or he won't announce out of respect of this season not over and Ole?

I reckon this is completely done and be announced in late May

EDIT: Even more evidence perhaps?

C'est Moi Cantona

Make it happen Ed :drool:

Need a proper manager back at the helm after having a pretender recently
No, Ed needs to feck off at the same time, he has no right to call the shots anymore, a proper manager, a new CEO, and a DOF, then we might be in business.

If Ole goes and Ed stays then it'll be tainted for me.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Anyone else think he's actually accepted the job for the summer but we won't or he won't announce out of respect of this season not over and Ole?

Won't be the first time.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Wasn't that meant to happen with Jose when he joined out of respect for LVG, only for his people to instantly reveal the news instead?

The links with Poch are very exciting. Suddenly a very dark season doesn't seem as bleak any more.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

If we were entering into negotiations with him, why would we send Neil Ashton? Also, it seems kinda ironic that our 'PR' man is now the cause of the latest batch of rumors.

mu4c_20le

If we were entering into negotiations with him, why would we send Neil Ashton? Also, it seems kinda ironic that our 'PR' man is now the cause of the latest batch of rumors.
Ironic? More like shrewd. Already got a few people borderline praising Ed in one of the other threads.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
As with the Haaland signing - it all makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Ironic? More like shrewd. Already got a few people borderline praising Ed in one of the other threads.
Tapping up another manager publically for the purposes of good PR, all under the nose of our current manager would be very scummy indeed.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yet they are more valuable than every single player I mentioned.

Also Lukaku was alienated by Ole, who benched him as soon as he arrived and then played him on the wing.

Fellaini was in his 30s and slow yet Mata got a new contract and Ole is talking about renewing Matic

Again every single one of those players are miles better than the deadwood we have on our books. So great job getting rid of the deadwood

Judas

Open to offers
As with the Haaland signing - it all makes too much sense for it to actually happen.
Not sure they're comparable, to me anyway. Haaland deal didn't make sense in the end anyway.

This Poch situation is starting to look like when Jose came in, we knew that was happening months before it did.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As much as I want Poch here, I feel sad for Ole that we’re probably about to shaft him as we did LVG. It was bad enough when it happened to a mad Dutchman we had no prior connection to, but a club legend? I mean, he isn’t stupid. He’ll be aware of the rumours surrounding Poch and what will happen if we don’t make top 4, but it’s still sad to see.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
As much as I want Poch here, I feel sad for Ole that we’re probably about to shaft him as we did LVG. It was bad enough when it happened to a mad Dutchman we had no prior connection to, but a club legend? I mean, he isn’t stupid. He’ll be aware of the rumours surrounding Poch and what will happen if we don’t make top 4, but it’s still sad to see.
Wouldn't really be "shafting" him. I love Ole and I don't think he's been as bad as may like to say as manager, but he's by no means the guy to get us into title challengers which should be the goal. Ole will know that deep down too, but his priority is getting us on the right track which I do think he is doing anyway. No matter how "loved" the manager is, if he's not in the end the right guy, there shouldn't be any second thoughts.

Morpheus 7

Yet they are more valuable than every single player I mentioned.

Also Lukaku was alienated by Ole, who benched him as soon as he arrived and then played him on the wing.

Fellaini was in his 30s and slow yet Mata got a new contract and Ole is talking about renewing Matic

Again every single one of those players are miles better than the deadwood we have on our books. So great job getting rid of the deadwood
Urgghhh.... They were not going to bring us back to the top, simple as. Love to dig up posts from members in here, couldn't be even bothered because there opinion would probably change again the time I post it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I may be wrong, I hope I am if he comes to Utd, but I don't think Pochettino will achieve anything at Old Trafford. It'll just be another situation where he comes in, does good for awhile and then by year 2/3 the club will be lining up another manager to replace him like they've done with everyone since Moyes.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I may be wrong, I hope I am if he comes to Utd, but I don't think Pochettino will achieve anything at Old Trafford. It'll just be another situation where he comes in, does good for awhile and then by year 2/3 the club will be lining up another manager to replace him like they've done with everyone since Moyes.
everyone ? Moyes and Jose deserved to go. LVG probably earned one more season but cant blame for pulling the plug either.

NJM78

Would love Poch here, but whoever we get we can’t keep Ole unless he pulls a miracle last few months and get us CL.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Pochettino came in I'd assume he had some guarantees of being backed. In terms of what he'd need/what sort of side he'd go for... can see this with the current players (assuming Pogba gone):
Martial
Rashford B. Fernandes ???
??? McTominay
Shaw Maguire Smalling AWB
De Gea

Greenwood
James Lingard Pereira
Fred Matic
Williams Lindelof Tuanzebe Dalot
Romero
Think we'll spend big in midfield and attack, but only one 2-3 players. 2 starters, 1 squad player. CB we'll probably let go of Smalling even though I'd say he should start next to Maguire. If we do then probably someone to partner Maguire. Best balance would be a deep lying mid next to McTominay and then obviously Sancho in attack, but Sancho not likely so we'll see. If the Grealish links are true then Bruno on the right and Grealish 10... but I'm meh on that.

passing-wind

I feel sad for Ole if he gets shifted but at the same time if he had done his job properly he wouldn't be the circumstances he's currently in. If Solskjaer gets sacked he's only got himself to blame.

Bojan11

What do you guys mean Ole is going to be shafted?

Yeah I feel sorry for the guy who is doing a terrible job and going to get a pay off from it that normal people would dream of earning especially for doing a bad job.

LVG won a trophy and should have been the sacked the season before if our club wasn’t so happy with fourth and replaced the minute Klopp said he is leaving Dortmund.