A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

RedDevil@84

Wow, that's a lot to be proud of since you pointed that out. Barely scraping into the top 4 while losing multiple games to relegation fodders.
Do you even look at the context of the season? Or just believe in utopian world where United are in a title challenge season after season.

K_Ash

you lose a Champions League final. You become so demoralized that you carry it for months , to the following season. You then can't pick up/remotivate your team. Huge red flags. Plus his system is better suited for "younger" team. That Spurs team ran out of gas as they have aged. Of course if Ole struggles, I will look at Poch only because of his premier league experience. Not because he is some kind of "genius"

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Do you even look at the context of the season? Or just believe in utopian world where United are in a title challenge season after season.
These fans deserve Woodward and the Glazers. Imagine turning on Ole and pretending it's all the manager's fault yet again. They will never learn.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
you lose a Champions League final. You become so demoralized that you carry it for months , to the following season. You then can't pick up/removitate your team. Huge red flags. Plus his system is better suited for "younger" team. That Spurs team ran out of gas as they have aged. Of course if Ole struggles, I would look at Poch only because of his premier league experience. Not because he is some kind of "genius"
I can't be bothered to do it as it will probably get completely ignored anyway (not necessarily by you), but if you look it up Poch spent most chances since the Utd job opened up making himself somewhat 'sackable' or 'untenable', Redknapp style. A lot of stuff was said that would easily be dismissed as 'normal', but he sewed the seeds early on (e.g. https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/pochettino-cant-promise-hell-be-tottenham-next-season) and ended nearer the CL Final suggesting he would quit, and if he won the CL final he couldn't do any more for Spurs, then there was the weird secret 'promise' he made to the team that he would do if they won the CL Final. Allegedly he changed after that final and sulked in Barcelona for a long time, then sulked when he came back etc. There was a general feeling that he wanted to be sacked, possibly in the belief that he'd get snapped up by someone else, I don't know. Either way, his powers of motivation had well and truly run dry.

It's weird really, because lots of players come to spurs, make a name, leave for better pastures and go on to be very successful... but i can't think of a single manager who has done so tbh (unless you count the short stint Ramos had at RM).

RedDevil@84

No, it's a different rule for Spurs. They don't win shite for a so-called "top team". Just pointing out the obvious, no matter who is coaching them.
Saying that for banter sake is one thing. Genuinely believing in this is bollocks. Similar stuff was said about Pool and City.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You must be new on here because there has been so many Amadaeus moments, that I come off more insightful than professional pundits on television. I m humble when I m proven right as well because it is something that just comes naturally for me.
Hm. I'll give it a C+ - borderline B- territory. Not terrible.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's pretty clear to all but the wilfully blind that Pochettino as a manager is a level above Ole.

You can tell me different when/if Ole, with a far larger budget than Pochettino ever had (both for wages and transfer fees), takes United to a CL final and into the top 4 in four successive seasons.

Web of Bissaka

What happens to Poch and his Spurs team in latter seasons?
Seems too conservative and more defensive. Boring football.. even his players lost motivations.. eventually. Although maybe this helps them the most in reaching final(s).

I don't always watch them play. So I'm not too sure.

But definitely they are more dangerous before when they are in my eyes - play football in a more more attacking, and more risky approach. The physical high press with the annoying tactical fouls and quick direct attacks when the whistle first blow are two marks of that.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No manager in the world would have got us any higher than 3rd. None. Liverpool and City are just way too far ahead with 2 of the best managers the game has ever seen.

Ole has done a good job since taking over in incredibly difficult circumstances. The club is broken at the top. Poch isn't coming in and doing any better.
Totally agree with you, there’s always gunna be people who are wanting Solskjær out, but our problem starts way above him, the board need to back him otherwise we will be left miles behind.

90 + 5min

It's pretty clear to all but the wilfully blind that Pochettino as a manager is a level above Ole.

You can tell me different when/if Ole, with a far larger budget than Pochettino ever had (both for wages and transfer fees), takes United to a CL final and into the top 4 in four successive seasons.
Pochettino have spent around 300m. Solskjaer have spent around 230m. Pochettino came to a team full with internationals with a positive spin and good players. Solskjaer came to a team full of internationals wich was broken and in negative trend. I first full season Solskjaer came 3rd while Pochettino came 5th.

We should take it easy putting Pochettino on high horse. Not saying he is bad (he is good manager) but there has to be some kind of balance. 0 trophies as a manager.

Pablo18th

What I wrote still applies. What has Ole won so far? Poc did what he did without any kind of major investment. He should be lauded for what he did with that squad and the money he was allowed to spend. I bet if you look closely, all 3 clubs you mentioned outspent Spurs. Anyway, if money was the sole reason, United should be running away with the league tile instead of a team like Leicester. It has a lot to do with coaching.
That's the point Poch has shown nothing to be better than Ole who's on the job now and only in his second.

None of the 5 years he spent at Tottenham I envied.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Spurs sacked him because he wasn't winning trophies. If he's not good enough for a club that never wins anything how the hell is he going to handle the pressure cooker that is United manager?

He's not the answer for us. Don't want any new managers anyway until Woodward is gone.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Pochettino have spent around 300m. Solskjaer have spent around 230m. Pochettino came to a team full with internationals with a positive spin and good players. Solskjaer came to a team full of internationals wich was broken and in negative trend. I first full season Solskjaer came 3rd while Pochettino came 5th.

We should take it easy putting Pochettino on high horse. Not saying he is bad (he is good manager) but there has to be some kind of balance. 0 trophies as a manager.
First, it's net spend that counts, not just outgoing spend. Second, the £300m figure you quote, assuming it's accurate was spread over all the years involved, not just the much shorter period of Ole's reign in which he has spent only £70m less. Third, as I've already said, let me know when Ole takes United to a CL final and four successive top 4 finishes.

90 + 5min

First, it's net spend that counts, not just outgoing spend. Second, the £300m figure you quote, assuming it's accurate was spread over all the years involved, not just the much shorter period of Ole's reign in which he has spent only £70m less. Third, as I've already said, let me know when Ole takes United to a CL final and four successive top 4 finishes.
And with achiving that, he won what? Are we now praising managers coming 4th? Does that automatic mean greatness? Desptie 0 trophies. In his whole managment career?

Drawfull

It was better when you were in India.

always_hoping

Are some Spurs or Poch supporters ignoring the early exits from the champions league and Europa league that happened under Poch watch before reaching that 2019 CL final?

It's also worth nothing that Spurs finished 6th with 69 points, 5th 72 points and 4th with 69 points in the three seasons before Poch arrived.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Are some Spurs or Poch supporters ignoring the early exits from the champions league and Europa league that happened under Poch watch before reaching that 2019 CL final?

It's also worth nothing that Spurs finished 6th with 69 points, 5th 72 points and 4th with 69 points in the three seasons before Poch arrived.
I still find it funny that some people support managers :lol:.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

It wasnt a great squad at all. 3-4 good players and an emerging Harry Kane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C._season

90 + 5min

It wasnt a great squad at all. 3-4 good players and an emerging Harry Kane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C._season
Are you serious? Let us break it down (Not taking every player):

Lloris, Gomes, Friedel,
Walker, Rose, Verthongen, Kaboul, Dawson, Naughton, Chiriches
Lennon, Paulinho, Lamella, Capoue, Sigurdson, Chadlii, Eriksen, Townsend, Dembele, Sandro, Bentaleb
Adebayor, Soldado, Kane

Some young english players emerging with Pochettinho helping them. But look at the rest. Team I would say is full of internationals and really good players. Pretty much everyone played for their national team. Pochettino didn't came to some random team. He then started buying and selling players so they could play in his system. But as I said, he came to a very good team.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Poche is so overated it's untrue.
I think its a combination of things, he did do well for us no doubt but he certainly should have won us something LC or FA Cup. He is very charismatic and does have a draw to him. He has negatives to him also but overall hes a good manager, I think he would do well at United but it will not be a quick fix.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Are you serious? Let us break it down (Not taking every player):

Lloris, Gomes, Friedel,
Walker, Rose, Verthongen, Kaboul, Dawson, Naughton, Chiriches
Lennon, Paulinho, Lamella, Capoue, Sigurdson, Chadlii, Eriksen, Townsend, Dembele, Sandro, Bentaleb
Adebayor, Soldado, Kane

Some young english players emerging with Pochettinho helping them. But look at the rest. Team I would say is full of internationals and really good players. Pretty much everyone played for their national team. Pochettino didn't came to some random team. He then started buying and selling players so they could play in his system. But as I said, he came to a very good team.
That was a shit show of a squad :lol: . Trust me I watched them.

90 + 5min

That was a shit show of a squad :lol: . Trust me I watched them.
I think you are little bit unfair to your team that year. I actually thought you were nice to watch. What I missed is the balance in the team and you missed someone who could score. Selling Dafoe was bad move and with Bale leaving (having his best season ever) you were without two of your best goalscorers.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A serious look at a guy who Spurs didn't even think could land them the Carabao Cup, let alone a league title.

And he's going to come here and challenge for the major honours? How exactly? This job will destroy him.
Meanwhile we have guy who was coach in Norway and then came in PL and relegated his club. And then in championship he left them on 17th place. If he had time i am sure that he would relegate them again.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And with achiving that, he won what? Are we now praising managers coming 4th? Does that automatic mean greatness? Desptie 0 trophies. In his whole managment career?
My point is that - based on track records so far + and experience - he is clearly a level above Ole.

PS. His highest finish with Spurs was 2nd, not 4th, sandwiched by two 3rd place finishes.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Meanwhile we have guy who was coach in Norway and then came in PL and relegated his club. And then in championship he left them on 17th place. If he had time i am sure that he would relegate them again.
He only joined Cardiff in January of the year they went down. They were already doomed.

Also if he's that bad how on earth did he finish above likes of Jose, Lampard, Rodgers and co? Ole has done a good job so far. Its not his fault we've got fans like you who think he should already be finishing above City n Liverpool. It's clear as day that was never going to happen

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He only joined Cardiff in January of the year they went down. They were already doomed.

Also if he's that bad how on earth did he finish above likes of Jose, Lampard, Rodgers and co? Ole has done a good job so far. Its not his fault we've got fans like you who think he should already be finishing above City n Liverpool. It's clear as day that was never going to happen
So, we will just invent things from now?
So i am at fault because our team is not trained well, prepared well and is dominated by most of teams? Excuses are better and better.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So, we will just invent things from now?
So i am at fault because our team is not trained well, prepared well and is dominated by most of teams? Excuses are better and better.
Dominated by most teams? Last season we only lost 1 league game against any of the top 6. It came against Liverpool at Anfield. We didn't lose a single other one.

Maybe just maybe you're having a paddy after one bleeding game of a season. Some fan eh?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think you are little bit unfair to your team that year. I actually thought you were nice to watch. What I missed is the balance in the team and you missed someone who could score. Selling Dafoe was bad move and with Bale leaving (having his best season ever) you were without two of your best goalscorers.
I think you are confusing the Harry Era with AVB, AVB was shite sprinkled with Bale, then Bale let and only the shite was left. After AVB was Sherwood...... fecking Sherwood.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A few Man United supporters on here are bigger supporters for Poch than the club they are meant to be supporting.
Name one. Name one poster who supports Poch more than a club. And can that be used other way around then? That there are fans who support Ole more than United?
And how the hell that works anyway? You support club where that manager works?

AaronRedDevil

you’ll be wanting to sack him after 2 seasons like every other manager since Fergie. Cycle needs to end. Give Ole more time.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Spurs sacked him because he wasn't winning trophies. If he's not good enough for a club that never wins anything how the hell is he going to handle the pressure cooker that is United manager?

He's not the answer for us. Don't want any new managers anyway until Woodward is gone.
What pressure cooker? We got fans writing off PL games as irrelevant and calling everything "rebuilding". And a board that's happy with just top 4.

The standards aren't as high as you think they are.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think its a combination of things, he did do well for us no doubt but he certainly should have won us something LC or FA Cup. He is very charismatic and does have a draw to him. He has negatives to him also but overall hes a good manager, I think he would do well at United but it will not be a quick fix.
He had every thing needed to win trophies with you. He failed. The popular excuse was 'he had better priorites'. In my book he just wasn't ambitious enough. Which eventually caught up with him at Spurs.

His record vs the top 6 away for years was very poor. It was roundly excused by those who rate him. The way he is talked about one would think he is at the level of a Klopp. He really isnt.

At one point it was even claimed he was 'regularly competing for the title". Yet on truth the only time he had a genuine chance of lifting it he bottled it and Ranieri beat him to it. I honestly do not see why people imagine "he is so far above Ole". Ole's cardiff stint makes so many over disrespect his ability as a coach and manager.