A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Jaxa

Good chance Tuchel will be employed by Arsenal now
If they get blasted by Chelsea on Saturday this will hot up big time, can see it happening tbh although Tuchel will have a hard time getting that squad playing well, so much deadwood in that Arsenal team with maybe 3-4 quality players in it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
To be honest I was tempted to write (un) wanted but it didn’t seem as catchy! Although in fairness it does seem he’s had talks with a lot of clubs but the timing has not been right.
:nervous: Didn’t know it was your tweet.

yeah unwanted doesn’t sound as in demand haha

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is such a wrong fit for PSG, they'd be better off going for someone like Wenger.
Think maybe because he played for them people are putting 2+2 together... I do agree I don't it's the right team for him to go.

Especially handling characters like Neymar and Mbappe who have a big influence in the dressing room.

OleBoiii

Poch getting picked up by PSG is a good Christmas present to those who are happy with Ole and tired of all the whining. Merry Christmas!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Lots of top and medium clubs where without manager since he got sacked by Tottenham. I don't see that they went for him. Not bad manager but people are overating him. He has no trophies behind him that shows he is a winner.

Which are these clubs ? Barcelona and juve are the only really big clubs who have appointed new managers and I think he wouldn't have wanted the Barca job so not really a long list

FatherWolff

Ole even beat Poch with Cardiff, so don’t know anyone would want such a poor mans Ole managing us. Good luck in Paris!

90 + 5min

Which are these clubs ? Barcelona and juve are the only really big clubs who have appointed new managers and I think he wouldn't have wanted the Barca job so not really a long list
8 italian clubs have changed inclusive Juventus, Napoli, Fiorentina.
8 german clubs have changed incusive Dortmund, Shalke 04, Bayern Munchen
7 spanish clubs have changed inclusive Barclona, Valencia, Villareal
4 english clubs have changed inclusive Everton and Arsenal

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yes that's how big clubs move.

1st in the CL group stages, just won 4-0 and they still sacked him

Same for Dortmund

Yes that's how big clubs with a long term vision move. Any serious club would have sacked Ole on the back of the Leipzig shambles or the 1-6

Woodward and the board are a bunch of clowns
I'm pretty reserved on Solskjaer at the moment but this is a very 2D way of looking at it. They're through due to us bottling it and Di Maria cheating against Liepzig, their owners looked at their actual performance over results which is why Tuchel no longer has a job, same way our owners sacked LvG even though he'd just won the FA cup. We were better than PSG in both games. Poor game management and missing a bucketload of chances gifted them a win, we were outplaying them 11 vs 11, plain and simple.

tjb

Tuchel at Arsenal is a match made in hell. An overconfident "philosophical genius" who has so many demands and is a coach rather than a manager at the softest, mentally weakest club in football, with a board that will not give into almost 90npercent of his demands due to not caring.

Tuchel strikes me as one of those managers that only work with certain types of players and arsenal dont have the type of money we had when we bad an idiot like LVG.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
8 italian clubs have changed inclusive Juventus, Napoli, Fiorentina.
8 german clubs have changed incusive Dortmund, Shalke 04, Bayern Munchen
7 spanish clubs have changed inclusive Barclona, Valencia, Villareal
4 english clubs have changed inclusive Everton and Arsenal
I think he was waiting for PSG, Utd or Madrid, whichever of those jobs came up first. Juve and Bayern appointed from within and he said he wouldn't manage Barca. None of the other jobs would have interested him.

90 + 5min

I think he was waiting for PSG, Utd or Madrid, whichever of those jobs came up first. Juve and Bayern appointed from within and he said he wouldn't manage Barca. None of the other jobs would have interested him.
Everything is speculation. It can also be just so that nobody wanted him.

Once again, not saying he is bad. But, overrated by people in here.

reddevil702

Timing and opportunity seemed perfect for Poch to manage United and yet somehow he’s ended up at PSG.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Timing and opportunity seemed perfect for Poch to manage United and yet somehow he’s ended up at PSG.
Yes and I can assure you if he wins major trophies there it will be branded a plastic achievement. Pochettino cannot get a win on the Caf.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think if he retired now, some people would genuinely put him down as one of the greatest managers of his generation. The level of overrating is insane.

He hasn’t done anything of note. He took Spurs up a couple league places for a few years before he imploded, that’s the long and short of his managerial career.
For the people who wildly overrate him, I think you're making the exact extreme case of underrating him there!

This is Tottenham remember. Haven't been more than an occasional cup outfit in about 50 years and he took them to a champions league final and took them to a 3rd/2nd/3rd over three seasons.

That can't be overlooked. But I am glad he's taken a job elsewhere so we can avoid the whole tedious will we won't we employ him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Apart from the fact we've got a manager who looks to have us in great shape right now - champions league exit aside.

90 + 5min

Yawn. It's obvious and if you can't see it then I can't be arsed explaining it to you.
You could say that Pulis and Wilder are underated.

So I ask you, why is he underrated? What has he shown?
Relegated with Espanyol?
Did good in Southampton.
Did good in Tottenham making them top4 when he inherited a very good team that was always slight under top4.
Most important, 0 trophies.

Where is this underrated come from?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You could say that Pulis and Wilder are underated.

So I ask you, why is he underrated? What has he shown?
Relegated with Espanyol?
Did good in Southampton.
Did good in Tottenham making them top4 when he inherited a very good team that was always slight under top4.
Most important, 0 trophies.

Where is this underrated come from?
Ok mate.

Jetrooooo

Really don't rate him, glad we steered away. Don't want Tuchel neither. Enough mental Germans screaming from the touchline in the Prem already.

Web of Bissaka

I'm pretty reserved on Solskjaer at the moment but this is a very 2D way of looking at it. They're through due to us bottling it and Di Maria cheating against Liepzig, their owners looked at their actual performance over results which is why Tuchel no longer has a job, same way our owners sacked LvG even though he'd just won the FA cup. We were better than PSG in both games. Poor game management and missing a bucketload of chances gifted them a win, we were outplaying them 11 vs 11, plain and simple.
Except we wait until the FA Cup competition ended before sacking LVG.. despite the actual performances are just pure trash.

It's true that they're trailing at 3rd place but it's just 1 pt difference and good GD, they would've easily win it in the end with the quality of their squad. They were underwhelming in CL this season... then again, they're usually underwhelming in CL so that's nothing new. It's definitely more on to relationship with the owners where he gets the boot, the underwhelming performances and 3rd place are just convenient excuses.

alexthelion

It's another false down.

For me, there is enough evidence that Ole's not good enough : he has no plan B, his subs and in game management are almost always questionnable, in addition to being tactically inept.

Yes he improved the squad, yes he built a good culture but we should have upgraded and Poch would have been ideal.
Think you've been drinking too much.

Can't be more wrong if you tried.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Football managers are a lot like F1 drivers at the end of the day, they can only do as much as their resources allow. Is Max Verstappen not a top driver because he's never won a championship?

The resources Poch had available to him at Spurs was dwarfed by at least five clubs in the league he competed in, realistically he had no right to be finishing top four but he did, not just once but he did so four times in a row and for two of those wasn't that far away from winning the whole thing. Of course if you're a Man Utd supporter used to seeing your team win title after title then that's not going to sound all that impressive but we're not talking about Manchester United here, we're talking about "lads, it's Tottenham". Not only did he turn Spurs into regular Champions League qualifiers though, he got them to a final for God's sake, imagine 10-15 years ago that Spurs would get to a CL final, the thought of that would have been laughable. How many times have Man City with all of their billions gotten to a Champions League final? Yes he fell just short, to a great Liverpool team, so that means none of it mattered? If he'd have had Spurs finishing midtable for five years but managed to pick up a carabao cup along the way, would that have been more impressive?

crossy1686

career ending
The Cafe darling getting a sentimental appointment at an old employer because no other team wants to touch him.

Glad he’s off the market, reduces the risk of someone hitting the panic button if we lose a few at some point this season

alexthelion

Exactly. There is no context around his time there. People seem to completely disregard where they were as a club when he arrived and what he did with severely limited resources.

It was a fantastic job.
Really great going from 4/5th to 3rd/4th on average with Kane at his peak.

His job at Spurs is so overrated it's not true.

Zen86

For the people who wildly overrate him, I think you're making the exact extreme case of underrating him there!

This is Tottenham remember. Haven't been more than an occasional cup outfit in about 50 years and he took them to a champions league final and took them to a 3rd/2nd/3rd over three seasons.

That can't be overlooked. But I am glad he's taken a job elsewhere so we can avoid the whole tedious will we won't we employ him.
Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good manager, but at the end of the day he’s done nothing to suggest he can win silverware with a club like United. He’s done nothing to deserve this bizarre ‘chosen one’ label a small section of our fans like to place on him.

Let’s remember he was at Spurs when most of his top 4 rivals were poor. He had a prime shot at winning silverware, including the title, and failed to do so.

PSG is the perfect destination for him. He can win easy trophies in an uncompetitive league, deal with some big egos, and have a crack at Europe.

alexthelion

That is far too simplistic a view of things. The jump up to being consistently in the top 4, in a league with as many big teams as the PL, is a massive one. He did it with little to no money and a wage bill dwarfed by those around him.

It wasn’t as simple as “he jumped up two places”. He had them beating City and Madrid in the CL and was 90 minutes away from winning it. They qualified for the CL every single year and had only ever done it once in their history beforehand.

Take a look at his spending and Spurs wage bill in that time. What he did was seriously impressive. It’s ironic that the context of what he achieved is lost because he made Spurs into a more serious team.
So impressive that he came third in a two-horse race :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good manager, but at the end of the day he’s done nothing to suggest he can win silverware with a club like United. He’s done nothing to deserve this bizarre ‘chosen one’ label a small section of our fans like to place on him.

Let’s remember he was at Spurs when most of his top 4 rivals were poor. He had a prime shot at winning silverware, including the title, and failed to do so.

PSG is the perfect destination for him. He can win easy trophies in an uncompetitive league, deal with some big egos, and have a crack at Europe.
At least now he's at PSG he can build a bit of experience of managing a big club. Albeit one in a fairly uncompetitive league.
Then down the line we'll have more information about whether he's worth a shot - or whether he had a once in a lifetime set of players at Tottenham and like you say mix of other big teams struggling at the same time.

However, most seasons you could probably say the same about the top 5-6. Take this season. Liverpool should be clear and everyone else is decent/good but not exceptional.

I'm not sure there has been a time in the last 15 years where 2-3-4th were all superb teams.