A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So he comes to Spurs, doesn't win anything and rumoured to land the Real Madrid job based on what?
He has done some good work with Spurs, and if I stretch it a bit, maybe he has turned some good kids with potential into great talents.

But is that what Real wants? Someone who could make kids better, but remain just one level below the big prize.
Do you realise that City, for example, have outspent Spurs in net terms by 19 to 1 in recent years ... and that's not including wages.

Frankly it makes me laugh when some fans point to clubs with virtually unlimited spending power and hail their managers as "great" when they win some trophies. Maybe they should consider what Pochettino could do with vast sums to spend.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Talk of refusal to understand. 200m plus of today is EXACTLY the type of figure that 80m was to get Levy to part with Bale. But lo and behold, in your delusional version of reality you imagine that person who sold Bale for that very fee, would turn down a similar fee.

Quit boring me to death with nonsense.

Wrong. Kane as a player as per last summer had not reached a level for teams to want to add him to their sides badly enough. It had feck all to do with any of them thinking a deal impossible.
Lol ... he had just won the golden boot for the 2nd season running. The idea that Mourinho wanted Lukaku in preference to Kane is a non-starter, and everyone and his dog knows it.

As for rest, I've given you solid reasons why Kane won't be sold - if you won't have it then too bad. The proof of the pudding will be this summer, because Kane is one of the hottest properties in world football, if not THE hottest property. And when he's not sold, as he won't be, you'll doubtless come up with some contorted reason as to why.

RedDevil@84

Do you realise that City, for example, have outspent Spurs in net terms by 19 to 1 in recent years ... and that's not including wages.

Frankly it makes me laugh when some fans point to clubs with virtually unlimited spending power and hail their managers as "great" when they win some trophies.
Lost in title race to Leicester too.
Maybe they should consider what Pochettino could do with vast sums to spend.
Maybe he will succeed or maybe he wont be able to manage the egos of multiple players on high wages and screw up things completely. We never know until he works with big teams.

In last few seasons, the so called top teams have had really bad seasons. Despite the situation, Spurs haven't managed to win anything. So something about Poch is not really working yet. It is not all about poor poor Spurs

Noir

I'm sorry, but if you rate Alderweireld as simply 'a good player in decent squad', then either you've hardly seem him play or your footballing judgement isn't worth a bucket of spit.
LOL. Alderweireld is blatantly world class and the best CB in the league. Do me a favour, your knowledge of PL football is clearly appalling.
It's true i don't follow Tottenham week in and week out, but the few games that i watched he sure ain't. And that's just my opinion. But you two with your über football judgement/knowledge are surely employed by some top clubs. If not, offer your services to Spurs, maybe you'd help them win a cup at least every decade or so.

You're also probably considering Spurs as a major player in world football, one of the biggest around, a revolution on the green fields of the Prem, with your mighty wins against Real etc.. The new stadium is bound to have a trophy room, what will it display, pictures of your "world class" players?

Sorry but Alderweireld is not all that, Poch is not all that, and your club is not all that. You're Tottenham, know your place.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Pochettino has done a great job at Spurs, but I think he’s now becoming a victim of that; he’s taken a number of players up to a certain standard, and now they’re at that standard, the lack of silverware means the team is underachieving.

The Premier League was there for the taking in the immediate aftermath of Ferguson’s retirement (Leicester winning it, even Liverpool almost did it too) and that was Spurs’ chance to forge a winning identity; the Manchester clubs are back in business now, and that catalystic first trophy/title is going to be hard to achieve, given Pocchettino’s lack of prior success.

I can’t help but feel they’ve peaked under him, and that it’s time for them to complete their transition from potentially great team to actual successful team under a better, shreweder tactician who can win a couple of those crucial head to heads with the other title contenders.

I genuinely feel that someone like Rafa Benítez could immediately put some trophies in the cabinet at their new stadium - he’s done it everywhere he’s been barring the Newcastle pub team he’s currently managing - and would be an upgrade on Pocchettino; he’s the best Spanish coach in the Premier League, as his domestic and European success with Valencia plus his European Cup finals/win and FA Cup win with a dubious Liverpool squad in a very strong Premier League era eclipses anything Pep has achieved with infinite talent at Barca and Bayern.

If I was Levy though, I’d look at bringing Van Gaal in with Frank De Boer under him as his apprentice/successor. Alderweireld, Eriksen and Vertonghen have already excelled under De Boer at Ajax, and Van Gaal’s pragmatism and capacity to win big games would push them closer to being genuine competitors for the title.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's true i don't follow Tottenham week in and week out, but the few games that i watched he sure ain't. And that's just my opinion. But you two with your über football judgement/knowledge are surely employed by some top clubs. If not, offer your services to Spurs, maybe you'd help them win a cup at least every decade or so.

You're also probably considering Spurs as a major player in world football, one of the biggest around, a revolution on the green fields of the Prem, with your mighty wins against Real etc.. The new stadium is bound to have a trophy room, what will it display, pictures of your "world class" players?

Sorry but Alderweireld is not all that, Poch is not all that, and your club is not all that. You're Tottenham, know your place.
Right I don't want this to be WUMMER but why should we know our place and what shouldn't we grow? City certainly hasn't known its place, and due massive investment (which I don't particularly agree with) have leap frogged any team in the league. When ENIC sell us and they will, it will be to a mega rich owner. Now that owner could be and Arsenal type owner or a Chelsea/City type owner? Times are changing massively in the the EPL. United had massive plans this season but TBH are seriously under performing and for all the big names signings United fans want there have been no world class signings.

Last edited:

Denis79

If Poch would leave for Real it would be a very hard blow for Spurs. First thing he'll do is take Kane with him, I would...

Kane leaving could trigger others wanting to leave... He would be very hard, if not impossible to replace with their current wage structure.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

I can't be bothered responding further to someone who is clearly ignorant of the history of Spurs and whose view of Alderweireld is beyond stupid and based on very little.

As to "our place" - right now it's in the Champion's League. And for most of the seasons since Fergie retired "our place" has been above United in the league table. But perhaps you're also ignorant of that ... it wouldn't surprise me if you were.

OverratedOpinion

It seems fashionable to say he is overrated now but he really has done a stellar job in a really admirable way. I think he will stay at Spurs for a couple of seasons yet but nothing would surprise me. I think he is in a strange position in a way, his stock is highest in England but it is hugely unlikely he ends up at one of the bigger Premier League clubs anytime soon.

The one issue I do take is people who point to how well he's done on a small budget as a reason for being a strong candidate for a big job. It is a feat people often talk about in these situations yet one that doesn't translate to a club like Real Madrid or ourselves at all.

OverratedOpinion

United had massive plans this season but TBH are seriously under performing and for all the big names signings United fans want there have been no world class signings.
We have actually performed very well for most of the season bar a couple of silly draws. We also look nailed on to sign Alexis Sanchez although that is pretty much a moot point as one thing you can't say about us over the last few years is that we've been unambitious in the transfer market.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We have actually performed very well for most of the season bar a couple of silly draws. We also look nailed on to sign Alexis Sanchez although that is pretty much a moot point as one thing you can't say about us over the last few years is that we've been unambitious in the transfer market.
Do u think most fans are happy with the performances? That's. It the feeling I get at all. Spending so much but falling so far off City, that's not United at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Do u think most fans are happy with the performances? That's. It the feeling I get at all. Spending so much but falling so far off City, that's not United at all.
Not sure why every opposition fan use this, it's not as if City are having a normal season, in 23 games they have dropped points in only 3 games, that's just a record never set in the league. We should have done better during the Christams games where we dropped points in 3 games but overall we have done well in this season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not sure why every opposition fan use this, it's not as if City are having a normal season, in 23 games they have dropped points in only 3 games, that's just a record never set in the league. We should have done better during the Christams games where we dropped points in 3 games but overall we have done well in this season.
If you honestly think this season is a fluke by city your in for a shock, their current football and results are head and shoulders above anyone else in the league. Oh and I say this absolutes hating City and Pep. I really don't think it's just opposition fans saying this either.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If you honestly think this season is a fluke by city your in for a shock, their current football and results are head and shoulders above anyone else in the league. Oh and I say this absolutes hating City and Pep.
What? Where did I say this is fluke?

dove

I am probably gonna get slaughtered for saying this but Pochettino Spurs look like Moyes Everton in his prime. Tight budgets, no trophies and finishing where they are expected to finish in the league never overachieving. Both done good jobs at their teams but nothing spectacular.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No I meant till date no one had a start like this.
Oh I was meaning I see no reason why the City team, even as it is at the moment can't reproduce it. I am not a Pep fan at all, but when he is given the environment and players he needs, he is very, very good at what he does.

I expect Pep to bring in yet more of "his" players in this summer, CBS and a CF, possibly even a CM. the rest of that squad will simply naturally progress.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Wrong. Kane as a player as per last summer had not reached a level for teams to want to add him to their sides badly enough. It had feck all to do with any of them thinking a deal impossible.
Kane last summer had 3 seasons in a row scoring 20 goals in the PL. You do realise how rare that is yeah? To put it into words only 3 players in the entire history of the Premier League had managed to score 20 goals 3 seasons in a row, Shearer, Henry and Van Nistelrooy. To think clubs wouldn't want a player like that is a bit silly mate. If you look at it a different way, only 5 players in the Premier League history had managed to score 20+ goals in 3 seasons in their entire career: Shearer, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Aguero and Les Ferdinand.

When you consider the above, then take into account his age and the fact that he's still relatively early into his career with his peak years ahead of him. I would think every major club in Europe would have wanted to add him to their squads in the Summer.

Spirit of Solskjaer

Oh I was meaning I see no reason why the City team, even as it is at the moment can't reproduce it. I am not a Pep fan at all, but when he is given the environment and players he needs, he is very, very good at what he does.
But that doesn't mean we're underperforming this season does it? As you said, we had plans for this season to perform to the level that would normally (based on previous seasons) mean challenging for/winning the title. Well, last season after 23 games Chelsea were first with 56 points. This season we have 50 and fair enough, as has been stated we did play badly for a short stint in December.

So in short, we're performing pretty much as we planned to perform before the season, it's just that there was no way to know beforehand that City were going to be this lethal.

(sorry for derailing the thread slightly, it just grates me when opposition fans go with this narrative that we've made no progress this season to the previous ones)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I am probably gonna get slaughtered for saying this but Pochettino Spurs look like Moyes Everton in his prime. Tight budgets, no trophies and finishing where they are expected to finish in the league never overachieving. Both done good jobs at their teams but nothing spectacular.
Correct, you will get slaughtered. Comparing Pochettino to Moyes... I bet you had a chuckle typing that out.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
But that doesn't mean we're underperforming this season does it? As you said, we had plans for this season to perform to the level that would normally (based on previous seasons) mean challenging for/winning the title. Well, last season after 23 games Chelsea were first with 56 points. This season we have 50 and fair enough, as has been stated we did play badly for a short stint in December.

So in short, we're performing pretty much as we planned to perform before the season, it's just that there was no way to know beforehand that City were going to be this lethal.

(sorry for derailing the thread slightly, it just grates me when opposition fans go with this narrative that we've made no progress this season to the previous ones)
Come on, last season you won 2 cups, how many will you win this year? You can't compare previous seasons points haul to this one, I've seen United fans blast Spurs fans for doing the very same thing. Thats such a cope out, for the expectation and money spent, you are under performing, I'm pretty sure most United fans would agree.

Let's put it this way, if your performing how you expect and Spurs are regressing, how do you explain we're in exactly the same cup compitions as you and only 6 points behind in the league? Taking the injuries we have had and the "crippling impact of Wembley" it's such BS.

Last edited:

Spirit of Solskjaer

Come on, last season you won 2 cups, how many will you win this year? You can't compare previous seasons points haul to this one, I've seen United fans blast Spurs fans for doing the very same thing. Thats such a cope out, for the expectation and money spent, you are under performing, I'm pretty sure most United fans would agree.

Let's put it this way, if your performing how you expect and Spurs are regressing, how do you explain we're in exactly the same cup compitions as you and only 6 points behind in the league? Taking the injuries we have had and the "crippling impact of Wembley" it's such BS.
Ehh, so you're saying for the expectation and money spent, we should be matching or bettering City's performance in the league no matter what they do? So essentially we should have won every single game for us to not be underperforming? Which United fan could possibly expect that :lol:

No, we're performing a lot better than last season, our number of wins would have us in a close title fight in any of the last few seasons. That was the target for the season, that was what the squad and players we signed were supposed to be good enough for and so far so good. So I'd say if anything our performances are on par with expectations.

Oh, and I have never said Spurs are regressing, for me you're probably currently meeting your expectations as well.

Yeesheng

last year we won two. this year we still have a chance of three. might be unlikely. but who knows?

has Spurs made any progress as compared to United in your view?

why is 0 cups last year and 0 cups this year --> no progression but not regression; whereas

2 cups last year and 0 cups this year despite faring better --> regression

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Nope sorry, not even close. He's a good player in a decent squad, and that's all. Wouldn't have him over any of our defenders.
Is this our version of Ty? Our CB's are clearly better than Alderweireld? I wouldnt even put our CB's in the top 5 at the moment, Jones is probably the best, working his way back to form and has looked good recently. Im always worried with jones due to his terrible injury record. He is a classy player and maybe could have gone on to be world class(is it too late?) but like Wilshere, hard to include him in any sort of elite list due to injury. Bailly out injured, not really on the table for discussion, Smalling is a solid player but not top 5 CB material. Lindelof and Rojo have been ok squad players but hardly elite level.

Alderweireld has been arguably the best CB in the league for the past two seasons. The only reason hes not in the discussion recently is the same reason Bailly is off the table for discussion, injury. For this season you would have to go with someone like Otamendi as a safe bet or Tarkowski who has been killing it at Burnley who are quietly sitting in 7th, five points behind Arsenal.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
last year we won two. this year we still have a chance of three. might be unlikely. but who knows?

has Spurs made any progress as compared to United in your view?

why is 0 cups last year and 0 cups this year --> no progression but not regression; whereas

2 cups last year and 0 cups this year despite faring better --> regression
Ehh, so you're saying for the expectation and money spent, we should be matching or bettering City's performance in the league no matter what they do? So essentially we should have won every single game for us to not be underperforming? Which United fan could possibly expect that :lol:

No, we're performing a lot better than last season, our number of wins would have us in a close title fight in any of the last few seasons. That was the target for the season, that was what the squad and players we signed were supposed to be good enough for and so far so good. So I'd say if anything our performances are on par with expectations.

Oh, and I have never said Spurs are regressing, for me you're probably currently meeting your expectations as well.
We have performed better than the majority of The media though we would given the stadium situation, we have progressed in the CL better than anyone thought we would. Considering the investment of the other sides I think we are easily exceeding expectations, that's just my opinion.

It amazes me how easily you seem to give up your status as the best team in Manchester, again just my opinion.

Yeesheng

We have performed better than the majority of The media though we would given the stadium situation, we have progressed in the CL better than anyone thought we would. Considering the investment of the other sides I think we are easily exceeding expectations, that's just my opinion.

It amazes me how easily you seem to give up your status as the best team in Manchester, again just my opinion.
I believe I can safely say on most other United fans' behalf that we want to be and expect and believe we can or will be the best team in Manchester. If we are not for a momentary point in time, it is what it is. That is life.

Meeting expectations is different from concession of our status. Neither of us in the quoted posts has simply conceded our status as the "best" (whatever your definition is) team in Manchester.

All we are saying is that we expected our team to perform at a certain level and get a certain number of points, play a certain way etc. The current United has achieved most of that and would deserve high marks for what it has done.

City has indeed been performing very well thus far - that cannot be denied. It should not be moving the goalposts as to what we expected, but moving forward, we can demand and expect more. please note the difference in the forward and backward looking expectations.

In any event, the season is not over. If United duplicates it's performance for the remainder of the season and City implodes, with United lifting the trophy, are you going to say then that United is the best? Of course, maybe it's then only because of our spending or blah blah..

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Lol ... he had just won the golden boot for the 2nd season running. The idea that Mourinho wanted Lukaku in preference to Kane is a non-starter, and everyone and his dog knows it
Living in fantasy land as usual. First, The world and his dog rather knew United were targeting two attacking players to replace the injured Ibrahimovic. Not one in Harry Kane.

And winning a golden boot for he second time is just that. It didnt suddenly turn him into Griezmann nor Neymar no.

As for rest, I've given you solid reasons why Kane won't be sold - if you won't have it then too bad. The proof of the pudding will be this summer, because Kane is one of the hottest properties in world football, if not THE hottest property. And when he's not sold, as he won't be, you'll doubtless come up with some contorted reason as to why.
As I said earlier, Kane alone will control his destiny. Not Levy, not Spurs alleged future commercial plans, not this mythical unbuyability you imagine surrounds him. Kane will be at Spurs for as long as his love of his boyhood club and being a legend their over rides any ambitions to win trophies. Period.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Kane last summer had 3 seasons in a row scoring 20 goals in the PL. You do realise how rare that is yeah? To put it into words only 3 players in the entire history of the Premier League had managed to score 20 goals 3 seasons in a row, Shearer, Henry and Van Nistelrooy. To think clubs wouldn't want a player like that is a bit silly mate.
:lol: Im sorry. I'm not responsible for what you understand due to misreading my earlier post:lol:

I never once said Kane was wanted by nobody. Be serious now. I very clearly stated rather, that he had not become the level of player that was a must buy for bigger clubs. He wasn't at a Griezmann nor Neymar level to justify any financial out lay that would be required to get a Spurs to part with him. By next summer though he should be because yet again he has improved and climbed a level as a performer. Im looking forward to see how many serious bids for him will be turned down, if any are made. Because as it stands now only City and Real will comfortably be able to afford him and both will need him post this summer.

SambaBoy

Pochettino has done a great job at Spurs, but I think he’s now becoming a victim of that; he’s taken a number of players up to a certain standard, and now they’re at that standard, the lack of silverware means the team is underachieving.

The Premier League was there for the taking in the immediate aftermath of Ferguson’s retirement (Leicester winning it, even Liverpool almost did it too) and that was Spurs’ chance to forge a winning identity; the Manchester clubs are back in business now, and that catalystic first trophy/title is going to be hard to achieve, given Pocchettino’s lack of prior success.

I can’t help but feel they’ve peaked under him, and that it’s time for them to complete their transition from potentially great team to actual successful team under a better, shreweder tactician who can win a couple of those crucial head to heads with the other title contenders.

I genuinely feel that someone like Rafa Benítez could immediately put some trophies in the cabinet at their new stadium - he’s done it everywhere he’s been barring the Newcastle pub team he’s currently managing - and would be an upgrade on Pocchettino; he’s the best Spanish coach in the Premier League, as his domestic and European success with Valencia plus his European Cup finals/win and FA Cup win with a dubious Liverpool squad in a very strong Premier League era eclipses anything Pep has achieved with infinite talent at Barca and Bayern.

If I was Levy though, I’d look at bringing Van Gaal in with Frank De Boer under him as his apprentice/successor. Alderweireld, Eriksen and Vertonghen have already excelled under De Boer at Ajax, and Van Gaal’s pragmatism and capacity to win big games would push them closer to being genuine competitors for the title.
You think Spurs should replace Poch with a Van Gaal/ De Boer partnership?

Clas Sified

It's all well and good winning the big games, but if you struggle to score against the smaller teams and can't beat the worst teams in the league, you're not winning any league title.

I supported him while he was here and still don't dislike the man whatsoever, but LVG is finished at the top level, at least in England.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Good manager, but needs to actually win something soon. All great managers find a way to win trophies, even without the best team.

Blind

Some proper silly posts in here, Alderweireld wouldn't get in the United team, they're the same as Everton under Moyes, they should hire LVG and De Boer, feck me. Poch is doing a superb job, he's made them into a regular top 4 side with transfer and wage budgets in the relatively modest category and proven that good coaching and a plan trumps throwing expensive square pegs in round holes.

As for the 'he hasn't won anything' patter, would a league cup win suddenly make folk take notice and shout from the rooftops that Spurs have finally made it, aye. Winning a significant trophy is the next step obviously but it doesn't diminish all his good work and they're hardly on the brink of a mutiny.

Andersons Dietician

all fans of Pochetino need to keep in mind one thing. Wigan (fa cup), Swansea (league cup) and lastly Leiceister (EPL) forever put paid to the notion that deep pockets are a requisite to win a trophy.
Wouldn’t that also go against the argument that to be proven as a quality manager he needs to win something?

I wonder if Zidanne goes if he can resist Madrid and if he says no now will he get another shot. Surely brand new stadium he’d like to see that through but the tools at his disposal at Madrid and the money he will probably be afforded.

@Noir I’d escort Jones and Rojo out the building and drive them to London if we could get Alderweireld. One of if not the best defender in the league.

acnumber9

Right I don't want this to be WUMMER but why should we know our place and what shouldn't we grow? City certainly hasn't known its place, and due massive investment (which I don't particularly agree with) have leap frogged any team in the league. When ENIC sell us and they will, it will be to a mega rich owner. Now that owner could be and Arsenal type owner or a Chelsea/City type owner? Times are changing massively in the the EPL. United had massive plans this season but TBH are seriously under performing and for all the big names signings United fans want there have been no world class signings.
Not in comparison to last season. We’re 8 points up on this time last season four places higher in the table. 13 points up and three places higher than the season prior. That suggests significant improvement. This current Utd team shouldn’t be judged on how good we were five years ago. It should be judged on how we are progressing. We can point at money and say we’ve spent a lot and that is fair. As have many clubs. Spurs haven’t spent near as much but we’ve been told continually that they don’t need to as they already had a great team.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Fans might be excited by a brand new stadium, for managers i suspect they hate it. They won't last long enough to enjoy the fruit, they get less warchest each season.

Even wenger still bears the effect of building the emirates, imagine all the trophies he could (could) possibly win if the money isn't funneled at the new stadium.