A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Some proper silly posts in here, Alderweireld wouldn't get in the United team, they're the same as Everton under Moyes, they should hire LVG and De Boer, feck me. Poch is doing a superb job, he's made them into a regular top 4 side with transfer and wage budgets in the relatively modest category and proven that good coaching and a plan trumps throwing expensive square pegs in round holes.

As for the 'he hasn't won anything' patter, would a league cup win suddenly make folk take notice and shout from the rooftops that Spurs have finally made it, aye. Winning a significant trophy is the next step obviously but it doesn't diminish all his good work and they're hardly on the brink of a mutiny.
I have to agree. Some of the replies in this thread are embarrassing. Poch is a very good manager and has Tottenham playing very good football. Considering what he did with Southhampton and the resources of Tottenham compared to the other Top 6 clubs, I think it's safe to say he's overachieved as a manager.

The "XYZ manager isn't good because he hasn't won anything yet" claims are nothing more than lazy arguments that show a lack of critical thinking.

My personal favorite:

Yeah but you have to win something, anything. The league cup at least. Ranieri took a Leicester side and kicked the whole "toughest" league ass, simple as. That's a good coach, Poch is decent at best IMHO sorry.
Poch worse than a coach sacked less than a year after winning the league? Surely a wind-up.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Living in fantasy land as usual. First, The world and his dog rather knew United were targeting two attacking players to replace the injured Ibrahimovic. Not one in Harry Kane.

And winning a golden boot for he second time is just that. It didnt suddenly turn him into Griezmann nor Neymar no. .....
Griezmann for feck's sake? Kane is head and shoulders above him.

You seriously under-rate Kane's standing in the game - but then I suppose that suits your argument as to why Mourinho went for Lukaku and not Kane (and your refusal to accept it was because he knew Kane was a no-go).

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Fans might be excited by a brand new stadium, for managers i suspect they hate it. They won't last long enough to enjoy the fruit, they get less warchest each season.

Even wenger still bears the effect of building the emirates, imagine all the trophies he could (could) possibly win if the money isn't funneled at the new stadium.
Pochettino will get a bigger warchest, not less. This is because (a) Spurs have "pre-loaded" much of their transfer austerity over the last several years, saving up with the new stadium in mind; and (b) the income increase from the new stadium is going to be huge for Spurs. These two factors will more than offset debt repayment requirements.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Some proper silly posts in here, Alderweireld wouldn't get in the United team, they're the same as Everton under Moyes, they should hire LVG and De Boer, feck me. Poch is doing a superb job, he's made them into a regular top 4 side with transfer and wage budgets in the relatively modest category and proven that good coaching and a plan trumps throwing expensive square pegs in round holes.

As for the 'he hasn't won anything' patter, would a league cup win suddenly make folk take notice and shout from the rooftops that Spurs have finally made it, aye. Winning a significant trophy is the next step obviously but it doesn't diminish all his good work and they're hardly on the brink of a mutiny.
An inability to win things with a superior core of players and funds to Leicester and a shocking overall record vs top 6 rivals is what calls into question how good he really is.

Griezmann for feck's sake? Kane is head and shoulders above him. ,
He most certainly isn't. There are a number strikers in Europe who are as good or better than Kane and Griezmann is currently one of them.

You seriously under-rate Kane's standing in the game -
I most certainly do not.
I just dont happen to think the striking position in world football rises and sets with Kane just because he is s Spurs player. You are the type who just last season was telling us your Dembele is "head and shoulders above Pogb'....

but then I suppose that suits your argument as to why Mourinho went for Lukaku and not Kane (and your refusal to accept it was because he knew Kane was a no-go).
Its has nothing to do with suiting I don't have to "accept" fanboish nonsense. Its an utter no brainer having to choose between signing Lukaku/Morata plus Griezmann to replace the injured Zlatan to signing just Kane for the type of ludicrous fee that would convince Spurs to part with him. Your kind of argument wpuld hold water if a United or City were in desperate need of a strictly a world class 9 and chase after everyone but Kane.

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan
Pochettino will get a bigger warchest, not less. This is because (a) Spurs have "pre-loaded" much of their transfer austerity over the last several years, saving up with the new stadium in mind; and (b) the income increase from the new stadium is going to be huge for Spurs. These two factors will more than offset debt repayment requirements.
Isn’t the stadium going to cost them somewhere around £800m though. Even if they spent less the past several years there will still be a period of time where paying off that stadium will take precedence. You also have to factor in how low Spurs’ pay scale is and I think they are going to be in trouble in the next few years when Poch leaves and the better players go after bigger contracts. I’d expect Spurs to fall back down to mid table quality when Poch leaves.

Guy Incognito

Fans might be excited by a brand new stadium, for managers i suspect they hate it. They won't last long enough to enjoy the fruit, they get less warchest each season.

Even wenger still bears the effect of building the emirates, imagine all the trophies he could (could) possibly win if the money isn't funneled at the new stadium.
Arsenal were happy to take on debt and were prepared to pay it off, they knew it would be difficult. What they didn't plan for was the eventuality of Chelsea and Manchester City becoming financial forces and broadcasting money going through the roof. The first couple of years at the Emirates definitely took its toll on Wenger, but he has in no way damaged his legacy. Especially when you consider he effectively paid off the stadium bonds through transfers whilst getting into the Champions League -- which was a big deal at the time. Premier League money now negates the need for that.

So it'll be interesting to see what Spurs do in the first couple of years. What works to Pochettino's advantage is unlike Wenger he has someone to take care of the finance side of things (Levy) so he can concentrate on the first team.

Boycott

He most certainly isn't. There are a number strikers in Europe who are as good or better than Kane and Griezmann is currently one of them.

I most certainly do not.
I just dont happen to think the striking position in world football rises and sets with Kane just because he is s Spurs player. You are the type who just last season was telling us your Dembele is "head and shoulders above Pogb'....

Its has nothing to do with suiting I don't have to "accept" fanboish nonsense. Its an utter no brainer having to choose between signing Lukaku/Morata plus Griezmann to replace the injured Zlatan to signing just Kane for the type of ludicrous fee that would convince Spurs to part with him. Your kind of argument wpuld hold water if a United or City were in desperate need of a strictly a world class 9 and chase after everyone but Kane.
Name them.

RedChip

Going to Real now would be a mistake. He should try to win something tangible at Spurs before jumping into a role where expectations are astronomical. I get the feeling, though, that he has a somewhat inflated view of himself and would jump at the chance.

Noir

I can't be bothered responding further to someone who is clearly ignorant of the history of Spurs and whose view of Alderweireld is beyond stupid and based on very little.

As to "our place" - right now it's in the Champion's League. And for most of the seasons since Fergie retired "our place" has been above United in the league table. But perhaps you're also ignorant of that ... it wouldn't surprise me if you were.
You're ignorant about your own history. We have players decorated more than your club. Me saying know your place wasn't meant as an insult or anything like that. You want to be a big club? Have "history"? Try winning something at least once in a decade. United won two trophies last season and finished sixth. Who do you think will be remembered in history a decade or two from now, United winning a few cups in a crisis post the greatest manager in the history of the sport, or Spurs winning their fantasy "in the CL and few times above United" cups?

Is this our version of Ty? Our CB's are clearly better than Alderweireld? I wouldnt even put our CB's in the top 5 at the moment, Jones is probably the best, working his way back to form and has looked good recently. Im always worried with jones due to his terrible injury record. He is a classy player and maybe could have gone on to be world class(is it too late?) but like Wilshere, hard to include him in any sort of elite list due to injury. Bailly out injured, not really on the table for discussion, Smalling is a solid player but not top 5 CB material. Lindelof and Rojo have been ok squad players but hardly elite level.

Alderweireld has been arguably the best CB in the league for the past two seasons. The only reason hes not in the discussion recently is the same reason Bailly is off the table for discussion, injury. For this season you would have to go with someone like Otamendi as a safe bet or Tarkowski who has been killing it at Burnley who are quietly sitting in 7th, five points behind Arsenal.
Ty, seriously? Did i ever say our CBs are top5 in the league? I said i wouldn't have him over any of our CBs. It's my opinion and if you don't like it don't read or comment it. It's a messaging board, we're supposed to exchange opinions.

Poch worse than a coach sacked less than a year after winning the league? Surely a wind-up.
Yes worse. Ranieri won the league. With Leicester. Leicester.

Andersons Dietician

How? It in fact leaves him without excuse. Why do you think a Wenger nowadays, for example is a figure of ridicule?
So namely because they’ve won Something Brendan Rodgers,Martinez, DiMateo,Laudraup are all now qualified or good enough to manage the top teams?

Also no way is Griezman currently better than Kane. That’s just madness.

Pacificgi

He deserves a chance at a top club - hes proven hes got some real skills as a manager. Unfortunately for him, its his lack of trophies thats a black mark. But then you look at teams hes managed and theyre not necessarily expected to win trophies. Hes improved spurs so much and expectations are high for them now.

He would be perfect for real madrid and even bayern munich

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan
Going to Real now would be a mistake. He should try to win something tangible at Spurs before jumping into a role where expectations are astronomical. I get the feeling, though, that he has a somewhat inflated view of himself and would jump at the chance.
This really is the wrong view. Big jobs, and the biggest jobs like Madrid, don’t come around too often so when you get the opportunity you probably should jump at it. It may go spectacularly bad but the right call is taking the opportunity especially since he’ll still get another job regardless of how he does at Madrid.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think Pochettino will command respect from Madrid's players at least initially. Did not win anything big in Europe as a player (unlike Zidane). Has not won a trophy yet as a manager. Notorious for making players work extra hard in trainings. Known for getting rid of divas, non-conformers, and bad influences on the team (Raul Tamudo, Capoue, Townsend, etc). I don't think that he is a good fit for Real Madrid.

I'd take Kane over all of them bar Lewandowski. I don't class Dybala as a striker so it's not like for like.
You are free to want Kane over them. The fact is a number of them are either as good or better than Kane. Yet I havent even mentioned Aubameyang, Diego Costa nor Cavani. Nor Aguero when he is at his best. Nor the two top dogs of goal letting.
Kane is fantastic. But no one should pretend he is an undisputed number one

So namely because they’ve won Something Brendan Rodgers,Martinez, DiMateo,Laudraup are all now qualified or good enough to manage the top teams?
Rather they have shown there is no excuse for not winning trophies at the top level if you are to be considered a top tier manager. If you are not winning things at any level, why in this day and age would a top club give you a chance? Especially after witnessing the Moyes and United mess?

Frankly unless you are already a legend at a big club, sans having a winning cv I cant see them hiring you 9/10 times.

Also no way is Griezman currently better than Kane. That’s just madness.
Madness you say? Its madness to say a player whose goals and performances have taken his nation and club to the brink of winning continental honors, whilst competing against sides with superior pedigree and talent, that got him a balon dor podium nod is better than or as good as Kane? And you expect to be taken seriously?

Andersons Dietician

Rather they have shown there is no excuse for not winning trophies at the top level if you are to be considered a top tier manager. If you are not winning things at any level, why in this day and age would a top club give you a chance? Especially after witnessing the Moyes and United mess?

Frankly unless you are already a legend at a big club, sans having a winning cv I cant see them hiring you 9/10 times.

Madness you say? Its madness to say a player whose goals and performances have taken his nation and club to the brink of winning continental honors, whilst competing against sides with superior pedigree and talent, that got him a balon dor podium nod is better than Kane? And you expect to be taken seriously?
Ok if there were only two choices for the job at United and it was Brendan Rodgers and Pochetinho who would you go for?

Also have you watched Griezman this year, also no way should he have gotten 3rd in the Balon Dor and he is a long way off that form now. Right now Kane is the far superior player.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Real job is a poisonous job. He should stay at spurs , win some trophies and prove his doubters wrong eventually taking over from Mourinho in 3-4 years :wenger:

Ok if there were only two choices for the job at United and it was Brendan Rodgers and Pochetinho who would you go for?

Also have you watched Griezman this year, also no way should he have gotten 3rd in the Balon Dor and he is a long way off that form now. Right now Kane is the far superior player.
Correction, Kane is right now the more in form player.

As for Rodgers or Pochetino, Id frankly pick neither. Both have won nothing at the highest level. Yet Poch is clearly better than Rodgers and if forced Id take him.

Besides, the argument isnt just about merely winning things. Or Id be making claims like Frank De Boer > Pochetino. Yet his last two jobs after winning things at an Ajax were a disaster. The main thing is getting noticed at a lower level for either disrupting the dominance of a major player in a top 5 league with a smaller team, plus making a huge impact with that size of team on a continental level at the same time. Simeone for example has been at a club of a smaller financial stature than Spurs, yet look at his record. A record like his is what should earn you a shout for any big job.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Alderweireld is better than what we have currently and is the best CB in the league.

Velvet Revolver

Hypothetical question. Would Spurs be where they are now ( position and playing style) without Kane? what does that say about Poch?

Anyways, this thread has suddenly turned from Poch being a good manager to who is the best striker in the world currently!

Andersons Dietician

As for Rodgers or Pochetino, Id frankly pick neither. Both have won nothing at the highest level. Yet Poch is clearly better than Rodgers.
So Just cop out then? One has won stuff and the other hasn’t but you’ve to choose one, which one would you go for? How about DiMateo who has a champions league trophy to his name or Poch. For the long term security of your club and the one you think would get the best results which one are you choosing?

Also I’m not even sure if at his best Griezman is better than Kane, it’s probably pretty close. So you corrected yourself then?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You are free to want Kane over them. The fact is a number of them are either as good or better than Kane. Yet I havent even mentioned Aubameyang, Diego Costa nor Cavani. Nor Aguero when he is at his best. Nor the two top dogs of goal letting.
Kane is fantastic. But no one should pretend he is an undisputed number one
Kane is clearly better than the bolded. You're just putting every good striker above him to prove a non-existent point.

Ty, seriously? Did i ever say our CBs are top5 in the league? I said i wouldn't have him over any of our CBs. It's my opinion and if you don't like it don't read or comment it. It's a messaging board, we're supposed to exchange opinions.
Smalling and Rojo better than Alderweireld? FFS

Yes worse. Ranieri won the league. With Leicester. Leicester.
An inability to win things with a superior core of players and funds to Leicester and a shocking overall record vs top 6 rivals is what calls into question how good he really is.
What? Why does Leicester winning the league only apply to Poch? 5 other top 6 managers also lost to Leicester. Also it's intellectually dishonest to only focus on his record vs the top 6. There is no top 6 trophy that I know of and given that Spurs have the least resources out of the top 6 their record isn't surprising.

I'm not Spurs fan, but some of the logic in this thread is looney tunes.

Last edited:
So Just cop out then?
Cope out my foot. If you imagine Griezmann's current form is his true level as a player you are seriously deluded.

One has won stuff and the other hasn’t but you’ve to choose one, which one would you go for? How about DiMateo who has a champions league trophy to his name or Poch. For the long term security of your club and the one you think would get the best results which one are you choosing?
Did you see me hailing the likes of Laudrup for top jobs just because they won a mere trophy at the highest level?

Ive stated repeatedly rather that you have no excuse to not win a trophy if you are doing a good job at any given club. Especially when people are claiming you are top tier managerial talent. If Di Matteo, Martinez and Ranieri can pull rabbits out of a hat. Poch has no excuse. Especially if as a fan of his you think he is worthy of a top tier job.

Poch is fine manager talent with top potential. But currently he is getting a tad overrated. And Im a big fan of his in spite of my harsh critique of him in here

Also I’m not even sure if at his best Griezman is better than Kane, it’s probably pretty close. So you corrected yourself then?
No. Griezmann > Kane to me still

Kane is clearly better than the bolded.
Based in what? Stop letting fanboish sentiment cloud your judgement

You're just putting every good striker above him to prove a non-existent point.
Rather I'm simply disproving your type of fanboish nonsense.

What? Why does Leicester winning the league only apply to Poch?
Er what? Earlier I even stated Wenger had become a figure of ridicule after Ranieri won the league with a Leciester. For lack of resources is no longer an excuse. So how does that translate into only applying to Pochetino?

Also it's intellectually dishonest to only focus on his record vs the top 6. There is no top 6 trophy that I know of and given that Spurs have the least resources out of the top 6 their record isn't surprising.
What a joke excuse. Its the likes of you trying to ram it down our throats that Pochetino is special. If he is, his record vs top 6 rivals should be better than it is. Resources are irrelevant.

Its for that reason of late even a Mourinho, with his insane record in the game, has been heavily slammed in the media and football circles for his recent performances vs top 6 teams

Last edited:

AP88

Supports
Man City
Alderweireld is better than what we have currently and is the best CB in the league.
Jones and Bailly are very good, but i agree Alderweireld is the best in the league, and would improve any team in Europe. That’s why his £50k a week is laughable - no wonder he’s weighing up his options. Levy should pay his key men properly.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Do you realise that City, for example, have outspent Spurs in net terms by 19 to 1 in recent years ... and that's not including wages.

Frankly it makes me laugh when some fans point to clubs with virtually unlimited spending power and hail their managers as "great" when they win some trophies. Maybe they should consider what Pochettino could do with vast sums to spend.
Spurs deserve a lot of credit, nobody can do-down the morality or commendable work done there in recent times - but the point people are making is he has created a very talented squad, yet other coaches have won with less.

His squad is better than the ones of Leicester and Chelsea that have won the past two titles, or the FA Cup winning ones of Wenger and Van Gaal - yet he’s not been able to win anything. Naturally, that raises questions about his capacity to succeed.

Noir

What? Why does Leicester winning the league only apply to Poch? 5 other top 6 managers also lost to Leicester. Also it's intellectually dishonest to only focus on his record vs the top 6. There is no top 6 trophy that I know of and given that Spurs have the least resources out of the top 6 their record isn't surprising.

I'm not Spurs fan, but some of the logic in this thread is looney tunes.
I don't work for the FBI but maybe beacuse we're in the "lets look at Poch" thread?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Took a few good years to built a stadium, and the loan repayment would take 5-10 years, business side will lag behind 5 years at least.

Unless he does a wenger or a fergie he wont enjoy the benefits of it

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Arsenal were happy to take on debt and were prepared to pay it off, they knew it would be difficult. What they didn't plan for was the eventuality of Chelsea and Manchester City becoming financial forces and broadcasting money going through the roof. The first couple of years at the Emirates definitely took its toll on Wenger, but he has in no way damaged his legacy. Especially when you consider he effectively paid off the stadium bonds through transfers whilst getting into the Champions League -- which was a big deal at the time. Premier League money now negates the need for that.

So it'll be interesting to see what Spurs do in the first couple of years. What works to Pochettino's advantage is unlike Wenger he has someone to take care of the finance side of things (Levy) so he can concentrate on the first team.
Exactly my point.. Pochetinno won't be the guy fully enjoy it, the next manager or the next after is the one who'll enjoy it the most.

People think that he's going to be excited with the future of spurs, while perhaps the bridge is too far for pochetinno

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

As for Rodgers or Pochetino, Id frankly pick neither. Both have won nothing at the highest level. Yet Poch is clearly better than Rodgers and if forced Id take him.

Besides, the argument isnt just about merely winning things. Or Id be making claims like Frank De Boer > Pochetino. Yet his last two jobs after winning things at an Ajax were a disaster. The main thing is getting noticed at a lower level for either disrupting the dominance of a major player in a top 5 league with a smaller team, plus making a huge impact with that size of team on a continental level at the same time. Simeone for example has been at a club of a smaller financial stature than Spurs, yet look at his record. A record like his is what should earn you a shout for any big job.
When does 'player in good form' turn into 'high quality player' for you? Three seasons of 'good form' clearly isn't enough? Four seasons? Five? Never?

RedChip

This really is the wrong view. Big jobs, and the biggest jobs like Madrid, don’t come around too often so when you get the opportunity you probably should jump at it. It may go spectacularly bad but the right call is taking the opportunity especially since he’ll still get another job regardless of how he does at Madrid.
Well, I guess that's an alternative view.

My view is I he isn't ready for such a big job and his chances of success in the job would be higher if he could develop a little more in a relatively low pressure job. Winning a trophy would:

1. Allow him to develop his skills a little bit further, including how to get his team over the line;
2. Convince the doubters and buy him some kudos, which, should things not go well immediately, would would buy him some time.

When does 'player in good form' turn into 'high quality player' for you? Three seasons of 'good form' clearly isn't enough? Four seasons? Five? Never?
Don't confuse issues here. I'm simply in disagreement with any claim that Kane > Griezmann based on this season's form. For Griezmann at his best has produced a level of performance and impact Kane is still to reach and Griez has not been close to his best this term.

That is entirely different matter to saying whether Kane is or isn't a high quality player.
For me he has had three seasons of top draw performances now and is still going. That qualifies in my book any footballer into the high quality player bracket. Im not sure why you'd imagine Id want to say otherwise.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
It's true i don't follow Tottenham week in and week out, but the few games that i watched he sure ain't. And that's just my opinion. But you two with your über football judgement/knowledge are surely employed by some top clubs. If not, offer your services to Spurs, maybe you'd help them win a cup at least every decade or so.

You're also probably considering Spurs as a major player in world football, one of the biggest around, a revolution on the green fields of the Prem, with your mighty wins against Real etc.. The new stadium is bound to have a trophy room, what will it display, pictures of your "world class" players?

Sorry but Alderweireld is not all that, Poch is not all that, and your club is not all that. You're Tottenham, know your place.
What an embarrassing post. Know your place? You sound pathetic and extremely ignorant.