A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Guy Incognito

I don't see him leaving in the foreseeable. But things change quickly in football. If Kane and a few others were to be sold without his consent, would he then leave? I think Levy is happy to let Pochettino decide transfers and I think Kane is going nowhere next season.

automaticflare

If madrid come in for him he will be off I think. I also think he will be in with mega millions for Harry Kane if he does go.
I am not convinced by him either. He hasn't won anything in his career so despite him being a good manager and able to build a good team and invest in youth he needs to cross the next line and win a trophy or two to be considered a top manager. I think I would be surprised if madrid came for him based on that, if they do he for sure will be gone.

RooneyLegend

The man has built a team capable of rubbing shoulders on a consistent basis with the best teams in the league despite having nowhere near the resources and people aren't convinced by him? he manages spurs, are you guys actually aware? Their front 6 cost less than Pogba ffs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The man has built a team capable of rubbing shoulders on a consistent basis with the best teams in the league despite having nowhere near the resources and people aren't convinced by him? he manages spurs, are you guys actually aware? Their front 6 cost less than Pogba ffs.
Pretty much it in a nutshell, as for how long he stays Im not really concerned just yet, if he wants to stay he will if he goes he goes. I've heard other quotes which are more reassuring but who knows.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I feel he is replaceable. For all the the hype about him IMO he has plateaued. His record vs top 6 teams is abysmal, he doesnt look like he can get spurs any further. Especially given his awful record with transfers
Say what? With an incredibly low net spend, the players that have joined since Pochettino arrived include:

Alli
Alderweireld
Son
Wanyama
Dier
Sanchez
Aurier
Davis
Trippier

Pound for pound he probably has the best record for transfers in the Prem.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I feel he is replaceable. For all the the hype about him IMO he has plateaued. His record vs top 6 teams is abysmal, he doesnt look like he can get spurs any further. Especially given his awful record with transfers
Spurs has struggled to find a proper manger pre Pochettino. If he goes, I believe that struggle will continue for sometime. Pochettino has done a great job man managing his player and created two players whose combined value could reach £500m. His tactics are simple, but he has bought in the right player that makes it work perfectly. Finding such a manager capable of those things and much more is like winning the lottery and is not easily replaceable. Give him City, United, etc type of fund and no doubt, trophy will come along for him.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Say what? With an incredibly low net spend, the players that have joined since Pochettino arrived include:

Alli
Alderweireld
Son
Wanyama
Dier
Sanchez
Aurier
Davis
Trippier

Nkoudou, Fazio, Njie, Wimmer, Strambouli, Yeldin, Vorm, Sissoko and Janssen for example. All bought to give him a squad deep enough to challenge for the title consistently.

Spurs has struggled to find a proper manger pre Pochettino. If he goes, I believe that struggle will continue for sometime. Pochettino has done a great job man managing his player and created two players whose combined value could reach £500m. His tactics are simple, but he has bought in the right player that makes it work perfectly. Finding such a manager capable of those things and much more is like winning the lottery and is not easily replaceable. Give him City, United, etc type of fund and no doubt, trophy will come along for him.
His first 15 is good enough to win him a league cup at the very least. But he keeps concentrating on things he is unlikely to ever win.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Nkoudou, Fazio, Njie, Wimmer, Strambouli, Yeldin, Vorm, Sissoko and Janssen for example. All bought to give him a squad deep enough to challenge for the title consistently.
Wimmer bought for £5.4M and sold for nearly £18M, Stambuli bought for £5.4M and sold for £7.74M, Yedlin bought for £3.4M and sold for £5.3, Vorm is a back up keeper and pretty decent and Nkoudo is still a prospect.

Il give you Sissoko, he is decent as a squad player, and Jansen/NJie who isn't suited to the EPL at all.

I dont think Poch is any worse really, most teams have more flops than successes, we cant shop in the same stores as the richer clubs and have to risk transfers on prospects.

Wimmer bought for £5.4M and sold for nearly £18M, Stambuli bought for £5.4M and sold for £7.74M, Yedlin bought for £3.4M and sold for £5.3, Vorm is a back up keeper and pretty decent and Nkoudo is still a prospect.

Il give you Sissoko, he is decent as a squad player, and Jansen/NJie who isn't suited to the EPL at all.

I dont think Poch is any worse really, most teams have more flops than successes, we cant shop in the same stores as the richer clubs and have to risk transfers on prospects.
Im talking flopping here not financial value. That should be obvious

Maybe Im being very harsh, but
I'm very disappointed with his business at Spurs to expand his first 15 into an ever challenging squad. Especially since with worse resources at Southampton and Espanyol he rarely got such deals wrong when trying to add depth. Im also dismayed by his big game record for them and as I earlier stated his refusal to seriously target the winnable league cup.
I feel he underestimates what winning a trophy can do to a young, developing squad yearning to achieve things.

I don't see him leaving in the foreseeable. But things change quickly in football. If Kane and a few others were to be sold without his consent, would he then leave? I think Levy is happy to let Pochettino decide transfers and I think Kane is going nowhere next season.
If Real come in hard for Kane with a Neymar like bid, Spurs and Pochetino will sale. They'd be mad not to.

coolredwine

lameredboots

Alli
Alderweireld
Son
Wanyama
Dier
Sanchez
Aurier
Davis
Trippier

Half of those players would be squad/bench players at a Top 4 club.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If Zidane leaves, he would be my first choice. I always liked him, even as a player. In Espanyol he did very well with the resources he had. It seems that knows how to work with young people and his teams are well worked tactically.
He has always taken good care of his statements about Madrid and I am sure that because of his past he would not hesitate to come.
However, it seems difficult since perhaps he lacks curriculum for someone like Florentino.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I'm talking about his overall transfer record, which for the net spend involved is excellent. And by the way, Vorm is a decent back-up GK.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Half of those players would be squad/bench players at a Top 4 club.
They already are at a top 4 club (that's where we've finished for the last 2 seasons) ... and some of those players are squad rotation players for Spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If Zidane leaves, he would be my first choice. I always liked him, even as a player. In Espanyol he did very well with the resources he had. It seems that knows how to work with young people and his teams are well worked tactically.
He has always taken good care of his statements about Madrid and I am sure that because of his past he would not hesitate to come.
However, it seems difficult since perhaps he lacks curriculum for someone like Florentino.
I'm not going to lie I have no doubt he would be incredibly intrested in Madrid, due to his Spanish background and the fact he would never coach Barca. I don't think however he is the kind of guy who would leave us at the drop of a hat, I would hope not this summer anyway. Also as you say joining Madrid without winning anything first would be a massive risk, as a manager he has plenty of time left in his career.

Having said that I really wouldn't want a test from Madrid, it hasn't ended well before :lol:.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If Real come in hard for Kane with a Neymar like bid, Spurs and Pochetino will sale. They'd be mad not to.
This just shows how out of touch with reality you are. With Spurs soon to move into our new stadium, the chances of Kane being this summer sold are a rock solid zero.

Real could offer £250m and Levy wouldn't even take the phone call.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No. The are just laughing rather at your straw nan fallacy. I havent mentioned cash once.
Passing judgement on transfers without taking net spend into account is like betting on a horse and ignoring the added weight it carries due to handicap.

Bojan11

This just shows how out of touch with reality you are. With Spurs soon to move into our new stadium, the chances of Kane being this summer sold are a rock solid zero.

Kane would when he wins nothing again.

Noir

Never knew what all the fuss is about this guy. I mean, yeah they play some nice football but so do a lot of other teams, but everybody and their dog is waxing lyrical about Poch. Yeah they haven't got the money to compete for the best players, but come on they hardly singed a bunch of nobodies and got them playing "spectacular" football, these players allways had potential to reach a decent level. And frankly, none of them bar Kane is anywhere near world class.

Besides, has Poch won anything at all, ever?

Lads, it's Tottenham.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Kane would when he wins nothing again.
Yawn ... all this wishful thinking is quite boring really.

Half the posts about Spurs from opposition fans bang on endlessly - year after year - about the alleged imminent departure of our star players. And when it doesn't happen they carry on anyway. :houllier:

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Regardless of how people rate Poch I'll never quite understand why United fans fantasize so much about the downfall of Tottenham.

Always a new thread or dicussion about how everybody is about to leave and it's all about to go wrong... for the past 3 years.

Irrational.

I was waiting for the new stadium line. Well done. :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Never knew what all the fuss is about this guy. I mean, yeah they play some nice football but so do a lot of other teams, but everybody and their dog is waxing lyrical about Poch. Yeah they haven't got the money to compete for the best players, but come on they hardly singed a bunch of nobodies and got them playing "spectacular" football, these players allways had potential to reach a decent level. And frankly, none of them bar Kane is anywhere near world class.

Besides, has Poch won anything at all, ever?

Lads, it's Tottenham.
That's an increasably black and white way of looking at it. I also hate this definition of "world class". Out of interest and I'm not trolling here I wanna get a definition of this, who in the Jnited squad is "world class" other than De Gea?