A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

cheeky_backheel

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I must admit I was openly critical of the decision not to invest. As I felt with some injuries and Winks' track record with fitness Spurs were short in midfield.

This is where I felt Spurs needed reinforcements. In fact I still feel that way given Dembele can play maybe one game a week when fit. And Wanyama is emulating Ledley King's knees.

But Sissoko has stepped up, something I certainly did'nt foresee. In fact most of the Spurs fans that post here are equally surprised.
It was a still stupid decision not to invest, as Spurs fans will also agree that they've been outplayed in quite a few matches and were lucky to get away with wins.

It's Pochettino's brilliance and luck that they're doing so well in PL. It's also the reason why they're on the verge of being knocked out in UCL group.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I definitely think we should have strengthened, and I think the money was available if the right player was available for the right price. What I think happened is that the club couldn't find a deal that was deemed worth it, and a decision was made to save the money and work with what we have. I personally believe we'll bring one player in january, probably central midfield.

It's a really tricky situation, but I agree that we need some strengthening, something it's not easy to do with our limited resources compared to the player profile we need.
You need home grown players right because Dier and Davies don't count? And you were short on your CL squad?

Home grown midfielders, back in for Grealish?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No ones saying he wouldn’t manage Real, what most Spurs fans are saying, atm he wants to stay at Spurs and honour the contract and the project that, according to his own word and book, he is heavily invested to Tottenham. It’s laughable that so many fans know more than what the guy is actually saying.
That's an awfully defensive post right there. My post was addressing people that have explicitly said that Pochettino rejected Madrid which is a clear distortion of the truth. If a Spurs fan says Pochettino has unfinished business at Spurs and wants to go Madrid later then thats fine. Pochettino rejecting Madrid for spurs is a fabrication, he did nothing of the sort and his words clearly indicate that.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
You need home grown players right because Dier and Davies don't count? And you were short on your CL squad?

Home grown midfielders, back in for Grealish?
Yeah, or that Kyle Walker guy.

Honestly though, I don't think we would get Grealish for a price where it would be worth the investment, but I haven't seen enough of him to make an informed opinion of his level. We really do need homegrown players though.

It was a still stupid decision not to invest, as Spurs fans will also agree that they've been outplayed in quite a few matches and were lucky to get away with wins.

It's Pochettino's brilliance and luck that they're doing so well in PL. It's also the reason why they're on the verge of being knocked out in UCL group.
I do agree that the team could use the signings, but we don't have the luxury of spending right now, and if a good deal wasn't found then so be it. The club has been thinking long term for a while now, and although short term a signing would be great, I can see where the club is coming from. If we sell we'll buy and I wouldn't be surprised if Llorente leave in January for an inflated sum since so many relegation candidates could use a striker of his caliber.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

There was no such decision. It was simply that the players we wanted either proved to be unavailable (e.g. Martial as part of an Alderweireld deal) or priced more than we were willing to pay (e.g. Grealish).

The latter shows that we are willing to walk away from deals based on price, which is not a bad thing when it comes to future negotiations. It also shows that we had no desperate need to strengthen the squad.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's an awfully defensive post right there. My post was addressing people that have explicitly said that Pochettino rejected Madrid which is a clear distortion of the truth. If a Spurs fan says Pochettino has unfinished business at Spurs and wants to go Madrid later then thats fine. Pochettino rejecting Madrid for spurs is a fabrication, he did nothing of the sort and his words clearly indicate that.
I don’t see how my post is being defensive? I have no idea if Real contacted either Poch or Levy last summer about his availability, but there was a lot of speculation. There is a quote somewhere about Sky asking him is it was impossible to turn down Real, Poch replied, “for you maybe, but not for me”. Again I have no idea if he was approached or not.

James Peril

His team is great when it works, when Eriksen has the ball, but his tools in big games are non-existent. He puts out a team and that’s that. It was very obvious he needed to do something at 2-2 and emotions were all over, yet he does nothing before it’s too late.

reddaz71

Woodward would love Poch simply because he rarely asks for transfer funds wherever he works! Other than that if we want to get back to winning titles then in all honesty we need to avoid him!

acnumber9

Two games in a row he’s dropped players that should’ve started. He got out of jail with Eriksen on Wednesday but not with Alderweireld today.

Bobski

Two games in a row he’s dropped players that should’ve started. He got out of jail with Eriksen on Wednesday but not with Alderweireld today.
Does it also not show the regression in Alderweireld that in such a big game against a resurgent Arsenal that Poch would choose a novice ahead of him?

Pretty clear at this point that there is an upper ceiling in what he can achieve at Spurs. They have good players, but not the depth of quality or finances to sustain a genuine challenge against the more affluent teams. This Spurs era has been good but they really needed a trophy or 2 to look back on, there was a window they couldn't quite take advantage of when Leicester were winning the league and all the other top clubs were rebuilding.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Do not want him. He would crumble under the pressure at OT. Let's just go for someone out of left field. Someone unexpected who can just get on with their jobs without any hype or expectations. Poch belongs with Spurs, no pressure for him.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Lack of a squad and investment cost them today, he has to rotate and he's not got enough experienced players. Foyth is a good kid but he's only a kid, It's days like today where things like that get found out.

OverratedOpinion

Does it also not show the regression in Alderweireld that in such a big game against a resurgent Arsenal that Poch would choose a novice ahead of him?

Pretty clear at this point that there is an upper ceiling in what he can achieve at Spurs. They have good players, but not the depth of quality or finances to sustain a genuine challenge against the more affluent teams. This Spurs era has been good but they really needed a trophy or 2 to look back on, there was a window they couldn't quite take advantage of when Leicester were winning the league and all the other top clubs were rebuilding.
I agree, not to be unkind but things have generally gone pretty much perfectly for Spurs over the last few years and they are still a long way off. Nearly every signing they have made has paid off, having Harry Kane look destined to follow Will Keane's career trajectory and then turning into a world class striker. Spurs deserve a lot of credit for all of these things but this has been their time and it has still not been enough.

Utdstar01

Seemed to wait an age to make the changes when it seemed like Arsenal were just gaining more and more control. Making the subs when you're 4-2 down doesn't seem the best idea.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I agree, not to be unkind but things have generally gone pretty much perfectly for Spurs over the last few years and they are still a long way off. Nearly every signing they have made has paid off, having Harry Kane look destined to follow Will Keane's career trajectory and then turning into a world class striker. Spurs deserve a lot of credit for all of these things but this has been their time and it has still not been enough.
Your wishful thinking is plain for all to see.

New stadium, new era baby.

acnumber9

It possibly does. He certainly hasn’t looked as good since before last season. Still a much better defender than Juan Foyth though.

This is true. He’s yet to show that he’s more than a very good coach though. He’s unquestionably developed a lot of players. He’s got them to the stage where they are one of the best teams in the country but he’s yet to show can then get that team to win things. He’s underachieved in cups and in Europe.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Pure knee-jerkism on your part: Spurs lose a tough away game - the first game we've lost following 6 straight wins - and suddenly we've hit it our "upper ceiling. It's a flimsy assertion.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Look at people now pretending that he's an average manager or all those other clichés about succumbing under pressure for big clubs etc when Spurs lost away to another top 6 team.

He had a bad result against a top team away which souldn't mean nor take anything away about his credential about the calibre of manager he is. He is a top manager that should definitely be an option to look at when thinking about a new manager at United.

evil_geko

This was after two tough games in a row, so it is understandable, knee jerking in this thread is real though.

I would gladly take Poch here.

Litch

Been good for a while and stating the obvious but they never seem to be able to step onto the next level with the kind of signings that make you think they are serious. They have so many things going for them but never seem to take advantage of them...

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Pochettino bought on Winks, Moura and Rose.

Emeri bought on Lacazette, Ramsey and Goudouzi that showed the difference in quality and rightfully changed the game.

Pochettino needs to realize that he doesn’t have the resources available st Spurs to compete consistently at a higher level. He is doing a great job taking this ship where it currently is.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This was after two tough games in a row, so it is understandable, knee jerking in this thread is real though.

I would gladly take Poch here.
Some people were just waiting for a result like this to jump on him.

Make no mistake, Pochettino is a top manager that would do wonders at United. The fact that Spurs are expected to go away to other top 6 teams and wins or at least not lose is testament of the incredible job he's done.

I think people are forgetting that Spurs aren't financially as strong as the other top teams they're competing against yet they're expected to challenge them home and away.

Give Poch United budget and he'd likely do a better job than what he's done at Spurs.

Emeri bought on Lacazette, Ramsey and Goudouzi that showed the difference in quality and rightfully changed the game.

Pochettino needs to realize that he doesn’t have the resources available st Spurs to compete consistently at a higher level. He is doing a great job taking this ship where it currently is.
Pretty much.

People have completely forgotten that Pochettino doesn't have the resources other top 6 teams have. The fact that people have actually forgotten that and expect Spurs to go away to these top 6 side and not lose it testament enough of the incredible job he's done at Spurs.

Vadim

@GlastonSpur keeps harping on about this new stadium like it’s going to be a deciding factor for Spurs.

Your very own north London rivals built a swanky new stadium. They’ve only won 2 FA Cups in that time and been a laughing stock the rest of it.

A new stadium doesn’t guarantee good times. Also see: West Ham.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Pure knee-jerkism on your part: Spurs lose a tough away game - the first game we've lost following 6 straight wins - and suddenly we've hit it our "upper ceiling. It's a flimsy assertion.
Ironic that you’ve accused someone of a knee-jerk reaction while knee-jerking so hard about it that you’ve failed to parse the post correctly. They were talking about Alderweireld hitting the ceiling. Well done.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

But Tim Sherwood told me that Winks would be in a combined XI, and in fact no Gooners would make the side at all.

Jokes aside though Poch right now is going through what Wenger had to during the stadium building/transition years. They really had to add some players during the last window.

OverratedOpinion

Your wishful thinking is plain for all to see.

New stadium, new era baby.
I think what you see and what rational people see are very different things.

When wishing for clubs to falter I think there are clearly much bigger fish to fry than Spurs, especially when it comes to competition for actually winning trophies.

I know you love your new stadium and that it has 4 laser tag courses and a full sized aquarium or whatever nonsense you love to spout about it but you are still going to be a mile behind the richest clubs in the league. The amount of difference you think a stadium will make is fascinating, how has it worked out for Arsenal? Other than their comfortable win today of course.

OverratedOpinion

Also. Knee jerk? You lot have spent 3 years proving his point :lol:

Jagga7

Yeh I'd agree with this. Especially after a tough midweek game and a pretty depleted bench. It was a uphill task today.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
But Tim Sherwood told me that Winks would be in a combined XI, and in fact no Gooners would make the side at all.

Jokes aside though Poch right now is going through what Wenger had to during the stadium building/transition years. They really had to add some players during the last window.
I actually rate Winks. Think he's going to be a really good player. Tottenhams problem so far this season has been they've had disruptions with their defense and midfield non stop due to injuries. I didn't watch the game today, but using Foyth as a starter is a big step down from Alderwiereld. No doubt Foyth can become a quality player, but using young players in such big games is always risky.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I think what you see and what rational people see are very different things.

When wishing for clubs to falter I think there are clearly much bigger fish to fry than Spurs, especially when it comes to competition for actually winning trophies.

I know you love your new stadium and that it has 4 laser tag courses and a full sized aquarium or whatever nonsense you love to spout about it but you are still going to be a mile behind the richest clubs in the league. The amount of difference you think a stadium will make is fascinating, how has it worked out for Arsenal? Other than their comfortable win today of course.
Where are United in the table? The richest club in league is effectively 9 points behind Spurs, despite having had an easier fixture list.

So the "much bigger fish to fry" amounts to scrapping it out with Watford, Brighton, Everton and Leicester City for 6th place …. so maybe time to put away the frying pan and instead think about minnows to lightly par-boil.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Because we lost a tough away game after winning the last 6 in a row? Do me a favour.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
When did this weird thing happen where we now measure managers by their away record to the top 6? Anything you get in these games is a bonus really especially if you are like Spurs and your wage bill is dwarfed by the other clubs in the top 6.

I wouldn't fault Pochettino even if he lost every single away game to the top 6 (which is far from how it is).