A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Sweet Square

What will be absolutely boring to read on here if he loses is how he 'bottled it'.

It's never the case that someone has to lose or that the better team won. He'll be judged a bottler for not winning a match where the other team are favourites.
Pretty much this.

I image there were lots of posts last that had to be deleted after Lucas scored the winner.

Josep Dowling

Agree with that, it just seems like you'd be happy to be proven right.
I would love to be proved wrong. We need some major changes in players on the pitch and have done for sometime. 2-3 player is not going to cut it this summer. We need 6,7,8 players to have any chance and current players going out the door. Even if we had a proven world class manager that still applies.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Amazed at the number of people who are convinced we missed on him. I mean, like he was there for the taking and we blew it. The man refused Real Madrid offer which maybe comes once in a life. Signed new 5-year deal at the start of the season, seems a loyal guy and loves Spurs and it's fans. So, break the deal just one year later and go to United. I mean, yeah, everything is possible, but more realistic option always seemed that he would stay. At least for me.

Yes it is. You should call all of them out :lol:. It is hilarious to read. Just look up people who argued against me and you have your list.
People sometimes tend to react and even overreact when they see someone being repetitive and border-line tiresome with the same point. Am actually quite pleased for Poch (and for you naturally). Really hope that you two guys can win this.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What will be absolutely boring to read on here if he loses is how he 'bottled it'.

It's never the case that someone has to lose or that the better team won. He'll be judged a bottler for not winning a match where the other team are favourites.
Couldn’t agree more.

Kapardin

Amazed at the number of people who are convinced we missed on him. I mean, like he was there for the taking and we blew it. The man refused Real Madrid offer which maybe comes once in a life. Signed new 5-year deal at the start of the season, seems a loyal guy and loves Spurs and it's fans. So, break the deal just one year later and go to United. I mean, yeah, everything is possible, but more realistic option always seemed that he would stay. At least for me.

People sometimes tend to react and even overreact when they see someone being repetitive and border-line tiresome with the same point. Am actually quite pleased for Poch (and for you naturally). Really hope that you two guys can win this.
I think he will manage us down the line. He isn't leaving Spurs unless Barca sack Valverde and come for him. And I don't think City or Liverpool will get him, so he will be available for us in the future.

In fact, I have hopes he is our next manager after Ole, who I don't think will last more than 2 years max even if he has reasonable degree of success (making us comfortable top 4 regulars).

In the meantime, obviously hope he wins the CL with Spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think he will manage us down the line. He isn't leaving Spurs unless Barca sack Valverde and come for him. And I don't think City or Liverpool will get him, so he will be available for us in the future.

In fact, I have hopes he is our next manager after Ole, who I don't think will last more than 2 years max even if he has reasonable degree of success (making us comfortable top 4 regulars).

He won’t manage Barca EVER, and honestly think when he does go it will be to Madrid or more than likely PSG.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

We will probably have a chance in the future. Just don't think this was the right time.

AshRK

Yeah, I was referring to City, Liverpool and Spurs to be honest who all have fantastic managers any team would love to have. Emery has better than expected this season but the jury is out on him. Haven't found Sarri particularly impressive but Chelsea are an enigma of a club in this regard. They're swift enough with managerial changes to land on one that works every three years.

I'm happy to give Ole time and see what he's made of. But I have to admit there's a slight feeling insecurity when you know so little about your managers capabilities. One thing, is that I hope we see his imprint of the team tactically speaking early next season. Even with Emery, you can see what his arsenal team are. With us, after the early form, I really don't know what our identity is and whether it's a good one.
Not trying to make it a emery thread or undermine emery or your post, but out of curiosity what is Emery's arsenal side? Given I have not watched all of their games but I have seen good amount to say I am still unable to see what is his philosophy. They don't press like Pep's city or Klopp's liverpool nor are they any good in counters like we sometimes are. Neither are they a crazy hardworking team as I see their players strolling like ours. They are somewhat good in possession (much better than us) but again nothing impressive on that department too. So what is his philosophy because i have not seen much to be extremely impressed by him.

Suedesi

You know what, I really like the cut of Poch and thought appointing Ole was the wrong decision (check out the poll at the time even after 12 wins in a row), but...

Let's give Ole the time needed to implement his ideas and style. And let's ship some of the deadwood and replace them with hardworking players who are willing to run and run. Football is a simple game, in the end you can see how heart trumps tiki taka, how work and commitment trumps talent and how desire can upset the odds.

And let's buy Van den Beek phleeezzz

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

It's more to do with insecurity about how crap our team is doing. Poch has done amazing to get his team here, no result in the final can take that credit away from him. He is one of the top 3 managers in the world right now.

Suedesi

Why do some, not all mind, think it would just be that easy to hire Poch? I’m not trying to be a clever dick BTW, but did you see the guys emotion at the end of the game last night?
From his El Pais interview:

A: And another question: Would I like to be a City or Liverpool? To a certain extent yes and to a certain extent no. I prefer to fight for something that can be historic, unique, and I have many doubts that I can achieve it. Sure, but be very careful! Because it's a very unique event. Because Barcelona, Madrid, City... They don't have time and, because they have to shorten deadlines with money, they only have to win: if one player doesn't work for me, I'll bring another one. It's completely different. Maybe one day I'll be in charge of something like that and I might win something in that way. But those projects driven by money at full speed run the risk of becoming empty.

Q. Don't you think your vision of football was surpassed 30 years ago? Isn't this about building lasting teams an old thing?

A: That's transferable to any club. It's transferable to Espanyol, Southampton, Tottenham, Madrid, Bayern, United. Why not? We're responsible for preserving values. Because we've moved away from the essence of football. We've installed it in a position that I honestly don't like. Because football today is very nice, anything you want, but the other day I saw the semi-final of the 1975 European Cup between Barcelona and Leeds United... That was football! You see Cruyff kicking, fighting, it was Cruyff! The players didn't know they were being recorded for television. I'm in love with that football.

Q. Today coaches talk about what's going on on the pitch like they're building a rocket. You talk about passion. You've simplified the speech. Can you be a great coach without that scientific vanity?

A: Football has lost real people. We look like actors. Forty years ago in Murphy we used to get together in the park to play. We played in 30x40 meters. Two teams were formed. Who had the possession? The best! Even if there were coaches directing that. Who had the highest percentage of possession of the ball? Those who had the best team. The technically best. They weren't always the ones who won because sometimes they had a great time but others scored goals because they shot or solved it. But to whom does possession football belong? To the players. Here we're selling a film about coaches inventing possession football and that's not the case. I love to play with the ball. I want to have the ball as much as I can. But if I don't have the tools or the technical players to play, I have to look for a different way. And that football doesn't seem to be around. It seems to belong only to a few. And it's not like that. How do you get Burnley to play with possession? If I have Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets... How am I going to tell them to play direct ball, run, and quick transitions? That would be stupid. If you don't play football, the players themselves will say, "Hey, we play from the bottom up here! We play from behind, we create from behind and our positioning is this." What are you going to say to Piqué? There are debates that are sterile. The important thing is that you show yourself as you are, not as an actor.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
From his El Pais interview:

A: And another question: Would I like to be a City or Liverpool? To a certain extent yes and to a certain extent no. I prefer to fight for something that can be historic, unique, and I have many doubts that I can achieve it. Sure, but be very careful! Because it's a very unique event. Because Barcelona, Madrid, City... They don't have time and, because they have to shorten deadlines with money, they only have to win: if one player doesn't work for me, I'll bring another one. It's completely different. Maybe one day I'll be in charge of something like that and I might win something in that way. But those projects driven by money at full speed run the risk of becoming empty.

Q. Don't you think your vision of football was surpassed 30 years ago? Isn't this about building lasting teams an old thing?

A: That's transferable to any club. It's transferable to Espanyol, Southampton, Tottenham, Madrid, Bayern, United. Why not? We're responsible for preserving values. Because we've moved away from the essence of football. We've installed it in a position that I honestly don't like. Because football today is very nice, anything you want, but the other day I saw the semi-final of the 1975 European Cup between Barcelona and Leeds United... That was football! You see Cruyff kicking, fighting, it was Cruyff! The players didn't know they were being recorded for television. I'm in love with that football.

Q. Today coaches talk about what's going on on the pitch like they're building a rocket. You talk about passion. You've simplified the speech. Can you be a great coach without that scientific vanity?

A: Football has lost real people. We look like actors. Forty years ago in Murphy we used to get together in the park to play. We played in 30x40 meters. Two teams were formed. Who had the possession? The best! Even if there were coaches directing that. Who had the highest percentage of possession of the ball? Those who had the best team. The technically best. They weren't always the ones who won because sometimes they had a great time but others scored goals because they shot or solved it. But to whom does possession football belong? To the players. Here we're selling a film about coaches inventing possession football and that's not the case. I love to play with the ball. I want to have the ball as much as I can. But if I don't have the tools or the technical players to play, I have to look for a different way. And that football doesn't seem to be around. It seems to belong only to a few. And it's not like that. How do you get Burnley to play with possession? If I have Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets... How am I going to tell them to play direct ball, run, and quick transitions? That would be stupid. If you don't play football, the players themselves will say, "Hey, we play from the bottom up here! We play from behind, we create from behind and our positioning is this." What are you going to say to Piqué? There are debates that are sterile. The important thing is that you show yourself as you are, not as an actor.
Yeah that’s the interview I’m talking about.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
He won’t manage Barca EVER, and honestly think when he does go it will be to Madrid or more than likely PSG.
This. I don't know why Pochettino to PSG is not often discussed as an option here. He is their former player after all and if he wins the CL with Spurs he would be the most obvious choice for the French side.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This. I don't know why Pochettino to PSG is not often discussed as an option here. He is their former player after all and if he wins the CL with Spurs he would be the most obvious choice for the French side.
He might be an obvious choice for PSG, but I'd doubt the feeling is mutual … because would he really want to go from the Prem to an inferior league dominated by a single team?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He has said it a number of times, but for some reason people think he lying, what for I have no idea.

frodly

C'mon mate, he knows the club :devil:

Just wait till he signs players that run around more.
Having watched Liverpool and Spurs go through to the Champions league final, based significantly on hard work and determination, how can you still dismiss the value of hard work so flippantly? I mean, at this moment Liverpool are above United in both talent and "running around," but the talent gap isn't that significant (At least certainly not 30 points different, as it stands now). On the other hand, the talent gap between United and the Spurs team last night is basically non-existent. The difference between the two is hard work, desire, and a will to win inspired by an excellent manager who has been given time to create a team with those characteristics. I have no idea if Ole can ever bring United to that point, but if he is going to, they need to bring in players or inspire the current players to start running around more.

Suedesi

Having watched Liverpool and Spurs go through to the Champions league final, based significantly on hard work and determination, how can you still dismiss the value of hard work so flippantly? I mean, at this moment Liverpool are above United in both talent and "running around," but the talent gap isn't that significant (At least certainly not 30 points different, as it stands now). On the other hand, the talent gap between United and the Spurs team last night is basically non-existent. The difference between the two is hard work, desire, and a will to win inspired by an excellent manager who has been given time to create a team with those characteristics. I have no idea if Ole can ever bring United to that point, but if he is going to, they need to bring in players or inspire the current players to start running around more.
Spot on -

Giggs86

LOOL at Poch being better than Pep.
Pep will never leave his comfort zone to manage a team like Southampton or Spurs, so we will never know. The fact that Pep didn't achieve anything with anyone other than the absolute best teams in every league he managed will always keep him outside of the real greats tier.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's not even out manager and I'm bored by these 'vague' quotes he keeps spouting

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tottenham-future-after-champions-league-final

"After five years I think it is a moment to close a chapter.

"It's not going to be the same in July when we start pre-season. It's so important to have clear ideas of the project and the challenge we are going to have ahead.

"It was very clear five years ago that the priority was going to be until the stadium was finished. We feel so proud because our capacity to manage this situation, that was very difficult, is amazing.

"But what is next? That is the question. It's difficult for me to explain. I need to listen to Daniel - he is the boss.

"The final is going to be an amazing moment. After the final is going to be a time to talk a lot, and listen to what is next."

gibers

Pep will never leave his comfort zone to manage a team like Southampton or Spurs, so we will never know. The fact that Pep didn't achieve anything with anyone other than the absolute best teams in every league he managed will always keep him outside of the real greats tier.
Kept out of the real great tiers by who? He is already considered one of the greatest coaches by all his peers, voting when it comes to all times lists and has had the biggest influence on modern football after Cruyff.

He gets these jobs because he is wanted by every single club and for a good reason. Abramovich was willing to change Chelsea for him, SAF wanted him after United left, Madrid even approached him...

But I guess Saachi is also not amongst the greats seeing as he only won things with stacked squads and Rinus Michels isn't voted the best coach of all time (including SAF btw) consistently over the last 30 years and he only won with players that are now considered legendary...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He's not even out manager and I'm bored by these 'vague' quotes he keeps spouting

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tottenham-future-after-champions-league-final

"It's not going to be the same in July when we start pre-season. It's so important to have clear ideas of the project and the challenge we are going to have ahead.

"It was very clear five years ago that the priority was going to be until the stadium was finished. We feel so proud because our capacity to manage this situation, that was very difficult, is amazing.

"But what is next? That is the question. It's difficult for me to explain. I need to listen to Daniel - he is the boss.

"The final is going to be an amazing moment. After the final is going to be a time to talk a lot, and listen to what is next."
He does waffle a bit, he always has. For me he is putting the ball back to Levy. The first chapter I think that he is talking about is the period up until the new stadium, so thats now done.

To me he is saying now it’s time to invest and kick on. He is in the perfect position now, again with another top 4 finish and also in the CL final. I would like to think Levy will back him, only time will tell.

Giggs86

Kept out of the real great tiers by who? He is already considered one of the greatest coaches by all his peers, voting when it comes to all times lists and has had the biggest influence on modern football after Cruyff.

He gets these jobs because he is wanted by every single club and for a good reason. Abramovich was willing to change Chelsea for him, SAF wanted him after United left, Madrid even approached him...

But I guess Saachi is also not amongst the greats seeing as he only won things with stacked squads and Rinus Michels isn't voted the best coach of all time (including SAF btw) consistently over the last 30 years and he only won with players that are now considered legendary...
Sacchi had success outside of Milan leading Italy to the WC final, Michels revolutionized football and apart from success with Ajax and Barcelona he also had success with the Dutch national team (1 WC final, 1 Euro win). SAF, the greatest of all, took Aberdeen to multiple league titles, domestic and European cups.

Pep is not quite there.

gibers

Sacchi had success outside of Milan leading Italy to the WC final, Michels revolutionized football and apart from success with Ajax and Barcelona he also had success with the Dutch national team (1 WC final, 1 Euro win). SAF, the greatest of all, took Aberdeen to multiple league titles, domestic and European cups.

Pep is not quite there.
SAF is not the greatest when lists are released by FIFA, UEFA and most respected football magazines so you can keep calling him the greatest if you want. This has been consistent over the last 20+ years and it won't ever change. Michels has been undisputed number 1.

So Saachi leading a stacked Italy team to a WC final makes him the greatest then? The team didn't even get out of the group stage in Euro 96 iirc. He flopped everywhere else. Finished 13th with Atletico Madrid, flopped in Milan when he returned and came 11th, flopped at Atletico Madrid and came 13th, when he went to Parma he had to resign in the same year after poor results. Funny that after Saachi left Milan, Capello won another European Cup and reached 2 finals and was unbeaten in the league in a season when Saachi won only 1 league with his stacked squad...

Michels also had stacked teams for Netherlands as well, something you are accusing Pep of having. Michels had success at Barca? He won only a fair cup trophy from 1971 to 1973 until he signed the Greatest player of that Era in Cruyff...again things a lot of people accuse Pep of, so be consistent at least. He a liga, A copa and an inter cities fair cup trophy in almost 7 years.

I mean, had Pep coached Spain and won the WC would you have called him the greatest then?

You saying he's not quite there doesn't reconcile with the fact that he is in the top 4 /5 of greatest coaches in official lists and respected football magazines every time they are released ahead of Saachi.

In terms of influence, he is only 2nd behind Cruyff in terms of modern football. The style of play and the shift of football to being attacking is a direct result of Pep. Easily the most influential coach of this Era and perhaps 3rd behind Cruyff and Michels in history.

Last edited:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I would like to think Levy will back him, only time will tell.
If the board/Levy doesnt actually splash some serious cash on Pochettino's targets Spurs management need their heads examined.

I think he will go to RM at some point, when? Who can say? Perez has been a big fan of Poch for a while now, maybe after Zidane mk2.0 ends they will go in for Poch. I dont see him going to another PL team or Barca, in fact the one club you can absolutely rule out is Barca. Pochettino is Espanyol through and through, was club captain and then coach no? Would be like Kane finishing his career at Spurs becoming a manager at the club and then going to manage Arsenal.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

In other words

“Ok I hung around with no funds so that this amazing stadium could be built.

But now it’s built you need to tell me will I have funds to spend for the next 5-10 years?

Back me or I’m off”

People keep saying he needs to backed in the summer but the question is do Spurs have the money to back him? That new stadium isn't gonna pay for itself.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Barca isn't a possibility. He has confirmed this, explicitly, himself. So I don't understand why it's brought up all the time.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
In other words

“Ok I hung around with no funds so that this amazing stadium could be built.

But now it’s built you need to tell me will I have funds to spend for the next 5-10 years?

Back me or I’m off”
I think that's a fair assessment. I also think the Levy's answer to his question will be "yes", although pushing the time frame beyond the next 5 years may be taking things a bit far.

Levy and Pochettino are quite close by all accounts and get on well. Pochettino signed up (and then renewed his contract) on the basis of Levy's detailed plan for the first 5 years, up until where we are now, with the new stadium finally open.

I'm sure that Levy will be happy to discuss - and agree - with Pochettino a detailed plan for the next 5 years. This will still involves some further construction (mainly the hotel and two apartment blocks next to the stadium), but this won't involve a diversion of funds on anything like the scale of the stadium-phase.

So given this - and given the boom in our income (not least from CL football): a boom that is set to continue - I'd reckon there will be a lot more money available for the transfer and wages budget. The only question is whether any new money pledged by Levy will be enough to keep Pochettino happy.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
People keep saying he needs to backed in the summer but the question is do Spurs have the money to back him? That new stadium isn't gonna pay for itself.
I'd be very surprised if we don't because we've spent nothing on transfers in the last two windows, posted world-record profits in our last set of accounts, will earn around £100m all told from the CL this season and have all-but-guaranteed CL income again next season.

And on top there's a lot of extra income to come from what will be our first full season in the new stadium.

Of course there is stadium-related debt to service, but the annual cost of this depends mostly on how quickly or slowly the club chooses to pay it down, given that the debt can be re-financed over longer periods. Most likely this cost is only going to be fairly small fraction of our total income.

However, the answer to your question also depends on how much money you had in mind. Do you have a sum in mind?

C'est Moi Cantona

If not then they need to find some, he is clearly in a position of power and knows it, so is really testing the boundaries with what he's saying, and rightly so, he is a top manager, so is now asking the club to match his ambition.

My personal opinion is they won't, or more likely can't, and he will walk.

I'd be very surprised if we don't because we've spent nothing on transfers in the last two windows, posted world-record profits in our last set of accounts, will earn around £100m all told from the CL this season and have all-but-guaranteed CL income again next season.

And on top there's a lot of extra income to come from what will be our first full season in the new stadium.

Of course there is stadium-related debt to service, but the annual cost of this depends mostly on how quickly or slowly the club chooses to pay it down, given that the debt can be re-financed over longer periods. Most likely this cost is only going to be fairly small fraction of our total income.

However, the answer to your question also depends on how much money you had in mind. Do you have a sum in mind?
Levy is a shrewd man I think he'll want to pay the debt off as quickly as possible.

I think Spurs should be looking to spend at least £150-£200mill which i think Poch would be happy with. You need quiet a few players for your first team.