A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
One report in Italy of juventus getting in contact with his people and being quoted a request of £400k a week in wages(not specified if net or gross)

Wouldn't be surprised if "we need to talk" really means "i got to a CL final. I'm worth way more than my current deal. Give me a raise"

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
People keep saying he needs to backed in the summer but the question is do Spurs have the money to back him? That new stadium isn't gonna pay for itself.
Of course we do, just google *Joe Lewis*, the question is will they back him. Personally I think Tottenham will, rummor is that Poch was Joe’s shout not Levy’s idea, bad old Levy. It would be awfully odd for Poch to walk away, with ENIC saying no to extra funds. Of course it could happen, I don’t think it will.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
One report in Italy of juventus getting in contact with his people and being quoted a request of £400k a week in wages(not specified if net or gross)

Wouldn't be surprised if "we need to talk" really means "i got to a CL final. I'm worth way more than my current deal. Give me a raise"
I don’t think he is taking about personal money, he is talking about wanting to compete at a higher level. ENIC are in a position now where they need to think of they are going to well or are they going to invest. With the stadium and looking for investment for both naming rights and NFL interest for us to drop back would be unthinkable.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Who remembers when he first went to Saints and all the romantics were slagging him off because Nigel Adkins was supposedly better? :lol::lol::houllier:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Levy is a shrewd man I think he'll want to pay the debt off as quickly as possible.

I think Spurs should be looking to spend at least £150-£200mill which i think Poch would be happy with. You need quiet a few players for your first team.
If you are thinking net spend, in this one summer, of "at least £150-£200mill", then I really doubt that will happen. I could see £100m, which would be a huge increase on what we've been used to, but not really more than this.

I'd reckon Pochettino would be happy with £100m net.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
100% agree, no investment and he will walk in January or next summer. And honestly I wouldn’t blame him. I don’t think he is talking £100m’s either.
It depends on whether you speaking of this summer, or the next 5 years …. because there is no way we're going spend multiples of £100m this summer, at least not in net terms.

And even in net terms it would only happen if we had to sell Eriksen and got a fair whack for him.

If you are thinking net spend, in this one summer, of "at least £150-£200mill", then I really doubt that will happen. I could see £100m, which would be a huge increase on what we've been used to, but not really more than this.

I'd reckon Pochettino would be happy with £100m net.
£100mil is chicken feed unfortunately. I read that you're looking to sign Gomes for £30mil so if that happens you only have £70mil left and you still need 2 FB, CM, replacement for Eriksen plus a CB to replace Alderweireld. £100mil won't be enough.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It depends on whether you speaking of this summer, or the next 5 years …. because there is no way we're going spend multiples of £100m this summer, at least not in net terms.

And even in net terms it would only happen if we had to sell Eriksen and got a fair whack for him.
I think £150m including either the selling of Toby, Lamela and Trips. Eriksen we will have to see.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
£100mil is chicken feed unfortunately. I read that you're looking to sign Gomes for £30mil so if that happens you only have £70mil left and you still need 2 FB, CM, replacement for Eriksen plus a CB to replace Alderweireld. £100mil won't be enough.
Can’t agree, look at Maddison, £20m and an awesome player, Grilish for £30-£40, if they don’t get promoted is good business. United promblem is you would rather sign Fred for what? Value is there id u find it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We'll just have to disagree about that … £100m net spend is a lot if spent wisely.

The Gomes stuff is just rumours so far as I know. And nor is it certain that either Eriksen or Alderweireld will leave. But even if they do, that's a lot of money to be added to the net spend budget.

Do we need two FBs? I don't think so. Rose is good for another year at least (and Davies is a good backup). And I personally would be OK with Trippier staying, with both Aurier and KWP as back-up. If we can sign an upgrade then fair enough, but I don't see it as a priority.

The priorities are CM - and AM if Eriksen leaves - plus CB if Toby leaves.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Whatever happened to the Sessegnon deal? Thought he was primed for a Spurs move? All seemed to fit well, London lad, Fulham not far from Tottenham, still has his family and friends around. Young kid, 18-19 and English, kind of fits the profile for Spurs. And Rose was making noise about wanting out and moving back North closer to his family.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
We'll just have to disagree about that … £100m net spend is a lot if spent wisely.

The Gomes stuff is just rumours so far as I know. And nor is it certain that either Eriksen or Alderweireld will leave. But even if they do, that's a lot of money to be added to the net spend budget.

Do we need two FBs? I don't think so. Rose is good for another year at least (and Davies is a good backup). And I personally would be OK with Trippier staying, with both Aurier and KWP as back-up. If we can sign an upgrade then fair enough, but I don't see it as a priority.

You reckon we need a central defender that badly if Alderweireld leaves? We still have Sanchez, Verthongen and Foyth. I'd rather see us spend that money on fullbacks personally.

If they stay then yeah £100mil should be enough.

Yeah you definitely need 2 FBs - you need to get back to that 15/16 season level when you peak Walker and Rose and they were practically dictating the game for you. I think you're the only Spurs fan that would be happy to keep Trippier, I've seen so many Spurs fans that want him gone.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You reckon we need a central defender that badly if Alderweireld leaves? We still have Sanchez, Verthongen and Foyth. I'd rather see us spend that money on fullbacks personally.
3 CBs to cope for a full season in multiple competitions? I know that Dier, or even Wanyama or Davies can fill in an emergency, but even so ...

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
hmm 3CB's to compete in four competitions? One of which is definitely one for the future in Sanchez and the other a kid who may or may not make the cut at the top level. You are one injury to Vertonghen away from starting with Sanchez and Foyth as your CB's.

I think Sanchez is good for his age and will only get better, Foyth, remains to be seen, can look a bit wobbly even in a back three. Let alone relying on him on the left side of defence in a back two for an extended period if Vertonghen gets injured.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
3 CBs to cope for a full season in multiple competitions? I know that Dier, or even Wanyama or Davies can fill in an emergency, but even so ...
That's what I was thinking, Dier and Davies and Wanyama if he stays can fill in at a pinch. Perhaps you're right that we would need another CB for depth, but I don't think we should prioritize spending a lot in a position where we already got good cover. Starting CB of Verthongen and Sanchez with Foyth is really strong. If Poch wants to go 3 at the back more regularly we may need another top class CB though, but if not I think money could be better spent elsewhere. Personally I feel we need to shake up our midfield and get another right back at the very least.

hmm 3CB's to compete in four competitions? One of which is definitely one for the future in Sanchez and the other a kid who may or may not make the cut at the top level. You are one injury to Vertonghen away from starting with Sanchez and Foyth as your CB's.

I think Sanchez is good for his age and will only get better, Foyth, remains to be seen, can look a bit wobbly even in a back three. Let alone relying on him on the left side of defence in a back two for an extended period if Vertonghen gets injured.
I think Sanchez is absolutely top class and I have no worries about having him as a first choice CB. For me it's simply a question of priorities and I think we have more urgent issues that we need to address on a budget. Maybe you're right that we need another one though.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

We need to be filling gaps in the squad, not opening new ones up. Foyth is still extremely raw, Vertonghen is ageing and Sanchez is still inconsistent and prone to lapses. Absolutely a new cb is needed, and two new fullbacks, and at least one midfielder.

We qualified for CL again, spent nothing last season and have reached a CL final. The money should be there to spend all round.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I forgot about Davies, he plays the left side of a back three for Wales. Relying on Wanyama for anything other than laying on the injury table is folly. Dier is a good squad option, shouldnt be in the starting 11.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Not the best of finish for him in the league, but with the resources he had to deal with, Spurs fan should be lucky they have champions league next season and they are in the finals of the champions league.

I like how Pochettino questioned the ambition of Levy and their club. If Levy doesn’t support him, United need to offer him a blank check of any player he wants and the wages he has been rumored to request for.

As I stated before, they are a Van Dijk signings away in midfield from being as competitive as Liverpool and Man city. I m interested to see who Pochettino will get if he stays at Spurs. They seem to have a knack of finding the right players to fit their system. I believe Ziyech would be a great signing for them along with a midfielder like N’Dombele or Tielsman. With trippier most likely leaving, they may want to invest in a right back as well. I will be surprised if Spurs next season becomes a weaker team if Pochettino is still in charge there.

Dominos

I'd be very surprised if we don't because we've spent nothing on transfers in the last two windows, posted world-record profits in our last set of accounts, will earn around £100m all told from the CL this season and have all-but-guaranteed CL income again next season.

And on top there's a lot of extra income to come from what will be our first full season in the new stadium.

Of course there is stadium-related debt to service, but the annual cost of this depends mostly on how quickly or slowly the club chooses to pay it down, given that the debt can be re-financed over longer periods. Most likely this cost is only going to be fairly small fraction of our total income.

However, the answer to your question also depends on how much money you had in mind. Do you have a sum in mind?
Not being facetious but genuinely curious - Arsenal had no money to spend for years after moving stadiums, what makes Spurs' position so different?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not being facetious but genuinely curious - Arsenal had no money to spend for years after moving stadiums, what makes Spurs' position so different?
Who said they had no money? Of course they had money, Wenger simply didn’t want to spend it and more recently their chairman was too busy buying a humongous ranch somewhere in America. You have to remember if required Joe Lewis is one of the richest Englishmen in the world. If he chose to he could easily do a City. Alas he just chooses not to as he is an investment group.

Skills

Snitch
Who remembers when he first went to Saints and all the romantics were slagging him off because Nigel Adkins was supposedly better? :lol::lol::houllier:
This place was one of the worst IIRC.

It's a crime to sack a manager until he's completely botched everything up according to the Caf

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
With an unprecedented level of blind luck, surpassing Chelsea 2012 or Madrid 2016.

For your sake I hope Pochettino knows what he's doing, or the final could be just an embarrassment.

Nope. Not even close.

Also, if we play like we did vs City or Ajax in the second leg, we won't get embarrassed at all. City were the better side over two legs, but not by much, and they're a better team than Liverpool are.

Basically all teams reaching a CL final need luck.We weren't going to completely outplay City over two legs, no team in world football is doing that.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Nope. Not even close.

Also, if we play like we did vs City or Ajax in the second leg, we won't get embarrassed at all. City were the better side over two legs, but not by much, and they're a better team than Liverpool are.

Basically all teams reaching a CL final need luck.We weren't going to completely outplay City over two legs, no team in world football is doing that.
Yes, I hope the Spurs actually benefit from a "short" 90 min final (not the 180 long minutes of a knock-out tie). Fingers crossed. Any chance Kane might make it?

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
If Trippier is off, to Italy I've read rumours of, who are we replacing him with because it aint Aurier.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well he'd finally win a trophy :angel:

(Hope you thrash Liverpool btw)
If you're gunna leave a top 4 prem club, imo it has to be for another prem club or la liga, maybe Bundesliga .. Serie A would be a waste of his time. Pensioners league.

So do I !!!

redshaw

I doubt Poch would go to Juve.

I suppose if he finds out the next Spurs chapter he wants is not happening then Juve is not a bad place to go but they've won 8 consecutive titles. Would be a hollow league win and boils down to seven ties.