A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Dobba

A manager who couldn't buy an away win, whilst losing the interest of some of his better players.

How will we tell the difference? Other than not having the best forward in the division doing enough to bail him out, obviously.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How does this not make sense? fecking hell, if Ole isn't sacked tomorrow and Poch being sounded out then I fecking give up.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was Poch I (at the minimum) wouldn't take this job until the season is finished and there's a chance to bring in more players before I get started.

Paxi

A manager who couldn't buy an away win, whilst losing the interest of some of his better players.

How will we tell the difference?
Could he not buy a win at spurs for the 5 season he was there, or am I missing something?

Paxi

If I was Poch I (at the minimum) wouldn't take this job until the season is finished and there's a chance to bring in more players before I get started.
Perfect time to take the job. Season is pretty much a write off already and he can start by getting players in January.

NinjaFletch

I wonder if it will ever click with some of you that the squad is crap.

Pochettino may well be a better manager than Solsksjaer, but if you're seriously arguing he's going away to Sheffield United being forced to play a midfield 2 of Pereira and Fred and winning the game comfortably I don't know what to say. Hell, they got played off the pitch at home by this side less than three weeks ago.

Tyrion

What an insult to SAF. His past achievements were historic before he set foot in the door.
I'm not insulting him. I'm saying that some appear to think that he proves that new managers deserve years of blank cheques and unquestioned support and that expecting anything more is not the "United way".

Tyrion

Pochettino may well be a better manager than Solsksjaer, but if you're seriously arguing he's going away to Sheffield United being forced to play a midfield 2 of Pereira and Fred and winning the game comfortably I don't know what to say. Hell, they got played off the pitch at home by this side less than three weeks ago.
In the short term, Poch will only be a minor improvement but he has shown the ability to improve teams in the long term that OGS hasn't. If a flawed squad freed managers from any expectations, we'd still have Moyes.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I'm not insulting him. I'm saying that some appear to think that he proves that new managers deserve years of blank cheques and unquestioned support and that expecting anything more is not the "United way".
I never thought you was. I was referring to the set you described. I'm on the same page as you. I agree, it's utter madness. People have their head in the clouds.

Tyrion

I never thought you was. I was referring to the set you described. I'm on the same page as you. I agree, it's utter madness. People have their head in the clouds.
Ah fair enough. Sorry about that. Rereading what I initially said, I do think I was unclear.

Micky Targaryen

Leadership.

If Ole can lead a group of Norwegian League players to the Norwegian title, he's proven he has the leadership and inspirational skills to take a group of men over the line in a competitive scenario.

A top football coach gets a team playing good football.

A top manager manages a team to success in a stressful scenario (this counts for football as much as any other industry).

A top football manager gets a team playing good football and can also lead them to success without bottling it.

Ole is a good manager and has proven it
. Pochettino is a good coach. Neither has proven they're top football managers.

People are missing the point because they assume that everybody is a hater/fanboy. I'm neither. I'm looking at the bigger picture.
How has Ole proven he is a good manager and has proven it? Can you seriously say that you are satisfied with our football this season. If so, standards has really fallen around here. And it's funny how you mention about not bottling, especially after the Sheffield result.

Abhinav

Poch might be a great manager in the making, he might not be. He sure as hell is not the right manager for United at this point of time. First, he seems to have lost his passion in the last year and its a question mark if we will be getting a fully motivated manager. Second, our performance over the last 5-6 years means that he will very little leeway before the fans get on his back. With the current squad, we are bound to get inconsistent performances and bad days at the office. How long will the fans give to a man who replaces a club legend? Not too much is my guess.
If we need to make a change (I still want to give Ole more time) lets make it at the end of the season when we have more options to choose from, the manager gets to add to the squad, and when the new manager doesn’t enter into an inferno.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Poch might be a great manager in the making, he might not be. He sure as hell is not the right manager for United at this point of time. First, he seems to have lost his passion in the last year and its a question mark if we will be getting a fully motivated manager. Second, our performance over the last 5-6 years means that he will very little leeway before the fans get on his back. With the current squad, we are bound to get inconsistent performances and bad days at the office. How long will the fans give to a man who replaces a club legend? Not too much is my guess.
If we need to make a change (I still want to give Ole more time) lets make it at the end of the season when we have more options to choose from, the manager gets to add to the squad, and when the new manager doesn’t enter into an inferno.
Makes sense to me.

How does our best players fit in with Pochettino's tactics? I think we're very exiting to watch at times, we're just far too inconsistent due to the age of our best performers and lack of general squad quality to help the youngsters out. With Poch, wouldn't we always play with 2 dm's in front of our cb's? Or even 3 cb's? Not sure our fans would be pleased. I've often been bored watching Spurs games and they never won anything despite getting close a few times. It would be disappointing but not inconceivable that Mourinho would win Spurs a trophy or even challenge for the league before Poch will, especially if he is taking over a club in a possibly worse state than Spurs. Ole might not be good enough either, but I like our fast attacking football when it works and he trusts the youth so there is some positives to consider we might lose when appointing a new manager.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why is he not here yet after yesterday’s sham? We’re not acting as a big club anymore.
If he signs for any club I’m pretty sure he will sacrifice his payout. i can’t see him joining anyone till the summer, he looked completely exhausted at the end for us. In the Summer he could have Real, PSG AND Munich possibly looking for a new manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If he signs for any club I’m pretty sure he will sacrifice his payout. i can’t see him joining anyone till the summer, he looked completely exhausted at the end for us. In the Summer he could have Real, PSG AND Munich possibly looking for a new manager.
I'm pretty sure that his payout isn't larger than the potential wage that he would receive, outside of paying the entirety of his contract over the next 7 months.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm pretty sure that his payout isn't larger than the potential wage that he would receive, outside of paying the entirety of his contract over the next 7 months.
It’s £12.5 million, why would he sacrifice that when he clearly needs a break, just chill for 5 months. I don’t see any reason why he would be in a rush back. He was talking about taking a break if he had won the CL final.

JPRouve

Scout
It’s £12.5 million, why would he sacrifice that when he clearly needs a break, just chill for 5 months. I don’t see any reason why he would be in a rush back. He was talking about taking a break if he had won the CL final.
It wouldn't be a sacrifice, it would be replaced by his new wage and potential signing bonus. The break argument makes total sense but the financial sacrifice doesn't, he wouldn't manage for free and he could easily get those 12.5m from United or an other big club.

SirAF

Ageist
It wouldn't be a sacrifice, it would be replaced by his new wage and potential signing bonus. The break argument makes total sense but the financial sacrifice doesn't, he wouldn't manage for free and he could easily get those 12.5m from United or an other big club.
I don’t think the finances are an issue, it’s more that it would be good for Pochettino with a break and I think he would realise that himself as well. He was in a Spurs tracksuit just a week ago.

ottosec

Get him before someone else does!

He has already proven himself capable of building a strong team, Spurs were in a similar position when he took over.

Ideally, we should bring him in in time to get a player or two in January, but I suspect he might want to take a break.

JPRouve

Scout
I don’t think the finances are an issue, it’s more that it would be good for Pochettino with a break and I think he would realise that himself as well. He was in a Spurs tracksuit just a week ago.
I agree with that, I questioned the argument that Poch would sacrifice his payout if he signed for someone. It's not a sacrifice when it will most likely be entirely replaced by his new wage within 12 months.

SirAF

Ageist

He has already proven himself capable of building a strong team, Spurs were in a similar position when he took over.

Ideally, we should bring him in in time to get a player or two in January, but I suspect he might want to take a break.
Woodward should make contact now and strike a deal for the summer. I suspect that is how it was done with Mourinho.

I agree with that, I questioned the argument that Poch would sacrifice his payout if he signed for someone. It's not a sacrifice when it will most likely be entirely replaced by his new wage within 12 months.
Yeah, agreed.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Overall, the best manager in the PL for the last 5 years.
Every club that does not pursue him is run by idiots.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sounds nice until you watch a 4-2-3-1 every week with Wanyama and Dier type players in midfield.
Hasn't he been playing a Diamond? Also didn't he use Winks when available and before that Dembele (who was one of the best in the league under him)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This was mentioned last week as part of his severance. If he signs within a certain time, he loses a huge chunk of that package.

I suspect he’ll go away, rest up and look at options. We can guess that he covets the Utd job;he loves English football,and they don’t come any bigger than Utd in England

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Woodward could just ask him before aquiring any new players in January, he does not need to be apointed at that given time. If we are being completely honest we are adding 0-1 player in January so I don´t think it would be a problem for him.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was talking about taking a break if he had won the CL final.
He really should take a break and recharge his batteries, come back firing on all cylinders.
And why rush if you are in his shoes..?

As mentioned, he probably gets a massive severance pay out, and by the end of the season, he could likely take his pick of 4 or 5 fantastic job offers.
Why jump from the frying pan....

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Overall, the best manager in the PL for the last 5 years.
Every club that does not pursue him is run by idiots.
Yea, the job he did was incredible and almost unparalleled in world football. Even Mourinho claimed recently it was amazing how he managed to take that Spurs side to the champions league final and the job he has done the past few years at the club.
He built Spurs into a top team with a shoe string budget. United can offer him much more resource and a budget larger than 99% of other clubs. It is idiotic if we are not looking at him especially since we are in a process of needing a rebuild as well.

ottosec

Woodward should make contact now and strike a deal for the summer. I suspect that is how it was done with Mourinho.
Woodward could just ask him before aquiring any new players in January, he does not need to be apointed at that given time. If we are being completely honest we are adding 0-1 player in January so I don´t think it would be a problem for him.
That would be the sensible thing to do, but when did we ever do that?

My concern is that we still insist on backing up Ole and he will buy some player(s) in January that the next manager won't like. I mean he splashed 80m in the summer on a player with clear strengths and weaknesses: good on the ball and in the air(or at least that's what we thought), but slow and not particularly agile. A manager who prefers mobile and dynamic CBs likely wouldn't like him and we're stuck with a 80m sub.

I think that was our main problem these years. We gave too much freedom to the managers. LVG sold most squad players from the Fergie era and replaced them with average and below par players that fit his profile. Then Mourinho came and wanted his own (tall) players and spent almost 400m on poor players. Take Lukaku's for example, he is similar to Maguire - a player with clear strengths and weaknesses: Mourinho spent a shitload of money on him and Ole didn't like him.

Ideally, we would have a DOF and a long term plan for the club and squad regardless of who is the manager.

But this is us.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He was thinking of having a break if he won. He would have been in such a strong position to pick the best jobs.
He still will be an in demand coach but not in such a strong negotiating position as he might have been

Bestietom

Correct sir. No matter who comes in we need reinforcements in the middle and up front.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole is very very lucky man. He has now 3 home games. If those are away games, he would lose and our board would do obvious choice and go for Poch.
We will not lose any of those games at home but Bayern will sign Poch.
Even in next few days.

I only hope that Ed at least talked with Poch and knows situation

Champagne Football

The board are gonna probably pull that same tight-ass move that they always do, where they can pay a current manager 20p less than they would have had to, the day that top 4 becomes mathematically impossible.

I'd prefer to see Ole succeed than bring in Poch, but Poch is a proven elite manager, whereas Ole is not even close so far. Maybe with more time. Its a risk.

But there are some decent managers in the bundesliga, that might be an option if we miss out on Poch.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This was mentioned last week as part of his severance. If he signs within a certain time, he loses a huge chunk of that package.

I suspect he’ll go away, rest up and look at options. We can guess that he covets the Utd job;he loves English football,and they don’t come any bigger than Utd in England
I'd be pretty sure that he covets managing a team that at least plays in the Champion's League, which it doesn't look likely that United will be.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'd be pretty sure that he covets managing a team that at least plays in the Champion's League, which it doesn't look likely that United will be.
1 win and he is back.

Edit: I mean back with taking cheap shots after going into hiding for few weeks.

Also don't talk about CL too much, very good chance Spurs won't be in it too next season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Regardless of whether he ends up at United, Bayern or Madrid, Itl be interesting to see him at big club won’t it.