A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

USREDEVIL

Ole is trying to repair the club under the guidance of Fergie and Mike Phelan in the background. I think the whole plan is to rebuild Utd in the Fergie way, then see where we're at once the rebuild is taking shape after the summer transfer window.

You only have to look Jose's second stint as Chelsea manager, when he flogged Mo Salah and De Bruyne for peanuts, while replacing them with expensive short term fixes like Fabregas and Diego Costa, to see the damage a short-termism approach can do to a club. We repeated the mistakes by giving Jose an open checkbook to sign expensive short-term flops like Matic and Alexis.

The Fergie way was always the opposite approach, short term pain for long term gain, and we are seeing signs of progress with developing young players. Under Fergie, so many players looked like they'd never be good enough, from Fletcher to Gary Neville to Cristiano Ronaldo who all mostly frustrated at the start, before slowly finding their way.

Klopp was all smiles and relaxed, even when Liverpool fans seriously doubted him in the first 6 months. I don't think a modern manager has to have a constant scowl like what was needed in the past. I think we're a Grealish, a developed Garner, Greenwood and James and a developed Longstaff away from being a balanced team again. I feel if Ole can last until that happens, then he might just succeed here. If not then bring in the best in the business who fits the philosophy and who can improve on Ole's youthful rebuild, whether Naglesmann, Pochettino or Marco Rose.
Agree. The only issue is that we really need to be in the UCL while we are undergoing this transformation. For money, for prestige, and for signing reasons.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ole is trying to repair the club under the guidance of Fergie and Mike Phelan in the background. I think the whole plan is to rebuild Utd in the Fergie way, then see where we're at once the rebuild is taking shape after the summer transfer window.

You only have to look Jose's second stint as Chelsea manager, when he flogged Mo Salah and De Bruyne for peanuts, while replacing them with expensive short term fixes like Fabregas and Diego Costa, to see the damage a short-termism approach can do to a club. We repeated the mistakes by giving Jose an open checkbook to sign expensive short-term flops like Matic and Alexis.

The Fergie way was always the opposite approach, short term pain for long term gain, and we are seeing signs of progress with developing young players. Under Fergie, so many players looked like they'd never be good enough, from Fletcher to Gary Neville to Cristiano Ronaldo who all mostly frustrated at the start, before slowly finding their way.

Klopp was all smiles and relaxed, even when Liverpool fans seriously doubted him in the first 6 months. I don't think a modern manager has to have a constant scowl like what was needed in the past. I think we're a Grealish, a developed Garner, Greenwood and James and a developed Longstaff away from being a balanced team again. I feel if Ole can last until that happens, then he might just succeed here. If not then bring in the best in the business who fits the philosophy and who can improve on Ole's youthful rebuild, whether Naglesmann, Pochettino or Marco Rose.
This. Totally agree. We have to be cruel to be kind as the saying goes.

AshRK

I do not think Ole is the answer to take us forward but this is a well balanced post that I cannot disagree with. It will be a slow painful process.

Denis' cuff

Close to the truth, I reckon.

Ole will never have the balls that Fergie had but you never know. Behind that smile... ? Definite indications Fergie has a hand in this.

Long process to rip it up and start from the bottom. Still not confident with these feckin leeches that own the club. How can they give a shite from a remote location whilst milking the club for all it’s worth?

I completely agree but Ole isn’t the man to do it, even with a balanced team. He’s simply not a good coach.

Continuing this work next season with a good coach will be key because those name you mentioned, they’ll need one hell of a fecking coach to be anything like a Manchester United team. On paper that sounds fecking rubbish.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I completely agree but Ole isn’t the man to do it, even with a balanced team. He’s simply not a good coach.

Continuing this work next season with a good coach will be key because those name you mentioned, they’ll need one hell of a fecking coach to be anything like a Manchester United team. On paper that sounds fecking rubbish.
The worst part about those names is that they don't even correspond to the type of players SAF would purchase to form the backbone of the team. I don't really understand why some fans seem to think that it's what we used to do. These are not the equivalent of Stam, Keane, Cole, Van Persie, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Tevez, Carrick, Rooney or Van Nistelrooy. Players like Evra and Ji Sung-Park had just impressed in the CL and Evra was a CL finalist with Monaco.

For Ole to sign that type of players and turn United into a SAF team would be a bigger achievement than anything SAF himself did.

The worst part about those names is that they don't even correspond to the type of players SAF would purchase to form the backbone of the team. I don't really understand why some fans seem to think that it's what we used to do. These are not the equivalent of Stam, Keane, Cole, Van Persie, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Tevez, Carrick, Rooney or Van Nistelrooy. Players like Evra and Ji Sung-Park had just impressed in the CL and Evra was a CL finalist with Monaco.

For Ole to sign that type of players and turn United into a SAF team would be a bigger achievement than anything SAF himself did.
Too much sense as always JP.

romufc

I think we're a Grealish, a developed Garner, Greenwood and James and a developed Longstaff away from being a balanced team again.
You cannot wait to hope that these players develop. Waiting for Garner to develop could take 3/4 years. We cannot wait that long.

A good squad is always one with balance, waiting 3/4 years for academy players to develop and lose out on first team players? We need short term fix too to help the youngsters out.

Bestietom

Poch wants the job as manager and the fans will be the ones to convince the board. Unless Ole can manage to get Champions League football next season by whatever way, top 4 or winning the Europa League, I feel his time will be up.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Is Ole really fixing the culture? I get that he is focusing on youth and a british core(which I think is silly), but ever since Moyes there has been complaints about lowered standards. It seems to me that Ole is lowering the standard every week. For me the whole culture of Man Utd during the fergies was having unforgiving winners at the helm. Now it's all smiles and no pressure when we are breaking negative records. Not even top 4 seems to be the minimum.
Fun fact United won the treble in Fergies first year.

arthurka

Agree with this, even if Ole got these players there is little evidence to show that he would succeed with them. In more than a year Ole hasn´t showed anything to give us hope of a working defensive unit or a functioning attack unless it counter attacking which we are even really good at. Great players or characters need guiding and structure to work in Klopp and Fergie have showed what can be done with some key signings and a great plan and structure but sadly I don´t see Ole provide that.

crossy1686

career ending
Poch wants the job as manager and the fans will be the ones to convince the board. Unless Ole can manage to get Champions League football next season by whatever way, top 4 or winning the Europa League, I feel his time will be up.
Well we’re not capable with this team but two midfielders in this window would see us finish 4th in my opinion

Fun fact @Ramshock in SAF’s first full PL season he had a 57.4% win rate.

Should we keep playing this daft game where the best manager ever can be used as an excuse for a failing manager who’s managed for over a decade and proven he’s not very good?

JPRouve

Scout
Too much sense as always JP.
Thanks.

I forgot to mention that United fans should know better when it comes to youth players, we have had a plethora of young players supposed to be the real deal or who surprised everyone during the first month/years of their United careers. None of our current players have proved to be definitely better than the likes of Welbeck, Gibson, Richardson or Campbell. It seems that romanticism and the embellished history of United is fuelling a lot of the supposed plans.

crossy1686

career ending
Grealish & Longstaff would hardly be massive improvements that would suddenly change everything, you’re all kidding yourselves.
When did we sign them? We’re not in for everyone we’re linked with you know?

However, tell me how they’re both not an improvement on Lingard and Matic?

You have to start building a squad from something. We’re not going to sign Messi and De Bruyne this window are we?

Bestietom

Name me one manager who has never made a mistake with bringing in players or getting rid of some.

When did we sign them? We’re not in for everyone we’re linked with you know?

However, tell me how they’re both not an improvement on Lingard and Matic?
Who are we linked with? Because Longstaff especially is very very strongly linked.

Is Longstaff an improvement on Matic... hmmm, no idea, most probably not I’d gusss. Fans will lap it up at first though cause he’s young in it, and Matic is slow and old.

Anyone’s an improvement on Lingard but Grealish is hardly a player to suddenly put United in the top 4 in this set up where we win just 38% of our PL matches, we’re a bit shite if you’ve not noticed.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

Good post, but Ferguson is underrated as a coach and tactician. I feel like football has progressed so much since Ferguson took charge too. Players are fitter, stronger and there are some great examples of successful teams In recent years, who had a very characteristic style of play and footballing philosophy. Ferguson was a genius, his “style” can’t be replicated.

What we need is a coach who can take the players we have, and train them to be better footballers. Someone who has a clear vision for how he wants his team to play that is evident on the pitch. We need to modernize the club, not keep looking backwards for different solutions.

Pochettino elevated Southampton above their station, he then elevated “its Spurs lads” to be a serious team on the European stage under serious financial restrictions. Many of their players will never see those heights again.

We need a young, modern manager, with a proven track record for elevating teams to another level, and we need to make a move for someone like that while we are still a giant of the game.

I don’t want to be sitting here in three years thinking “if only Garner had come though” as we wait for Ole to turn into a once in a lifetime genius.

We will always have Fergie’s days, but they aren’t coming back. Let’s look to the future in a realistic way and get the most out of the great group of young players we have now.

JPRouve

Scout
More or less by naming some of the mediocre players SAF brough in.

Just asking a question if that's OK.
Well, you seemingly didn't follow the conversation then. Someone suggested that we were following SAF's plan by gambling on the likes of Garner and Greenwood but also targetting the likes of Grealish and Longstaff. I made the point that these players aren't the type of players that SAF would target to build/solidify the backbone of the team and that we wouldn't even gamble on youth players either because their development is volatile, you don't really know what they will be in 4 years.

Bestietom

Well, you seemingly didn't follow the conversation then. Someone suggested that we were following SAF's plan by gambling on the likes of Garner and Greenwood but also targetting the likes of Grealish and Longstaff. I made the point that these players aren't the type of players that SAF would target to build/solidify the backbone of the team and that we wouldn't even gamble on youth players either because their development is volatile, you don't really know what they will be in 4 years.
I wasn't answering you in the first place. Is this pick on Bestietom time again.

JPRouve

Scout
I wasn't answering you in the first place.
Which is why I initially asked you who made that point. And no one is picking on you, you asked a question and I wondered who it was addressed to.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It doesnt matter who the manager was its the fact he got 4 and a half years before winning anything. The time that he needed to change the culture.
It was a completely different time. And United were 21st when he took over and ended them on 11th. In his 2nd season they ended in 2nd place in the league. Several of his players where alcoholics and Man Utd was not a financial behemoth.

What culture is it excatly that Ole is implementing?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It doesnt matter who the manager was its the fact he got 4 and a half years before winning anything. The time that he needed to change the culture.
Why not have let Moyes seen out his 6 year contract then?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
It was a completely different time. And United were 21st when he took over and ended them on 11th. In his 2nd season they ended in 2nd place in the league. Several of his players where alcoholics and Man Utd was not a financial behemoth.

Yeah where did they finish the next season?

Ole wants the replicate the culture that SAF had with the club. Stop asking redundant questions. You are all over the place.

This fact is completely lost on many like Ramshock when they talk about "giving time like SAF got", many even mention Klopp.

• SAF took over in November 1986 with the team 21st and by January 1988 we were in a race for the league title, finally ending 2nd with a 57.8% win ratio.

SAF earned his extra time, not just with what he has done previously.

• Klopp took over in October 2015 with Liverpool in 12th (I think) and by January 2017 they were in a race for the league, they finished in 4th with a 57.8% win ratio.

Klopp earned his extra time, not just with what he has done previously.

• OIe took over in December 2018 with United in 6th and by January 2020 they are 5th, 27 points off the leaders and with a 38% win ratio.

Now that is damning, absolutely damning, made worse when you see what Brenda has done in less time with the team he took over in 12th place. We're supposed to just believe that Ole will come good because, despite all evidence to the contrary.

What Klopp and SAF proved (and Brendon too currently) was this. ”Look what a special coach I am, look how much better I can do with this squad than the guy before. Now just imagine giving me time and leeway to build my own squad”.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
This fact is completely lost on many like Ramshock when they talk about "giving time like SAF got", many even mention Klopp.

• SAF took over in November 1986 with the team 21st and by January 1988 we were in a race for the league title, finally ending 2nd with a 57.8% win ratio.

SAF earned his extra time, not just with what he has done previously.

• Klopp took over in October 2015 with Liverpool in 12th (I think) and by January 2017 they were in a race for the league, they finished in 4th with a 57.8% win ratio.

Klopp earned his extra time, not just with what he has done previously.

• OIe took over in December 2018 with United in 6th and by January 2020 they are 5th, 27 points off the leaders and with a 38% win ratio.

Now that is damning, absolutely damning, made worse when you see what Brenda has done in less time with the team he took over in 12th place. We're supposed to just believe that Ole will come good because, despite all evidence to the contrary.
Nice marketing trick.;)

Red For Ever

Sums it up well, a bit like being on the roller coaster at the moment, but agree with the idea that a rebuild in squad and approach is needed, it's clear that can not happen overnight, but it is very hard at times.
How many expensive big names have we had that have failed recently, too many !!!

Denis' cuff

You're forgetting the Mal Donaghy years. Fergie took 15 years to acquire that lot. Ole has had one year.

Great comparison.