A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

AneRu

You're forgetting the Mal Donaghy years. Fergie took 15 years to acquire that lot. Ole has had one year.

Great comparison.
So you think Ole will be afforded 15 years let alone two? I don't think United can afford to prolong this sentimental road trip to the past to any point beyond this season even Liverpool had the sense to call time on their Dalgleish one.

Zlatattack

Let's hope he's available in the summer. I don't see Ole really improving anything beyond what he's done. Top managers don't grow on trees.

You're forgetting the Mal Donaghy years. Fergie took 15 years to acquire that lot. Ole has had one year.

Great comparison.
Even during those first years we brought in winners like Viv Anderson, Hughes, McClair immediately so put that Mal nonsense to bed.

Then came the next wave with Ince, Pallister, Irwin. Then the next wave, Schmeichel, Kanchelskis, Parker and on and on.

Always a steady flow of top pros, excellent players and massive personalities.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It’s not common sense at all and we don’t know he’ll target “better players”.
Puel had the same squad as Rodgers but had a much lower %, so why are you certain Ole would do better? Can Ole motivate them enough, can he coach them well enough?

And Poch would have a different platform here to compete, that really is common sense, United are just bigger than Tottenham in every single way.
It's not that difficult to improve on what we have at the moment. I'm confident he'd target better than what we have. By many accounts recruitment decisions aren't all down to the manager these days anyway.

Puel to Rodgers (so far) is an exception not the norm. For every Puel to Rodgers there is 10 Wenger to Emerys where nothing really changes without significant overhaul.

We are bigger than Spurs but the financial gap is closing. We are hundreds of millions away from even having a team comparable to Spurs 16/17 (which still wouldn't be good enough to compete with City and Liverpool).

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Complete opposite? You have access to the changing rooms then do you? Talking keek lad
I'm just wondering what culture Ole is essentially inspiring. We threw moyes under the bus for saying things like "we aspire to be like city" and "we will make it hard for newcastle". All i'm seeing is Ole doing the same, but trying to keep a smile up. If it wasn't Ole saying these things, he'd be flogged. But I'll admit he has a tough job, but I think there are managers who can do it better.

Gehrman

We can be pretty confident it would be higher than it is with better players, it's just common sense.

Poch we know with a good side he's capable of a high win %. However even his historic best wouldn't compete with the current Liverpool and City which is the level we want.
Poch netspend was like 15 mil a year. God knows the netspend of city and liverpool have spent quite a lot recently as well. I'd reckon City have outspent poch by at least 20 times as much.

Gehrman

Let's hope he's available in the summer. I don't see Ole really improving anything beyond what he's done. Top managers don't grow on trees.
I hope woody doesn't try to sell Old Trafford as disneyland.

Leftback99

Let's not lose sight of the fact that he was massively outspent by both. I don't want him at United because after Mourinho I am now wary of damaged goods managers i.e managers who have lost dressing rooms before but I think he is the perfect guy for what we are trying to achieve with Ole.

He already knows high pressing tactics and has built a good team on a budget whilst promoting some youths. You would assume that with access to more resources and his coaching ability he could go up a level. I think that if he can replicate what he did at Spurs here he could be the stabilizing agent we need before we look for someone better a few years from now.

My preferred option however is a complete overhaul. Sack Ole and bring in Rangnick as Interim Manager cum DOF, task him with scouting the next great manager and enticing him here for next season then let him lead the rebuild or just take Rodgers and a DOF for recruitment.
Spurs recruitment 2013-16 is a trick they/Poch haven't been able to repeat. The days of getting an Eriksen for £12m, Dembele for £17m, Alli for £5m etc are gone. The building a team on a budget thing Poch is famed for is highly unlikely to be repeated.

Chairman Steve

He is the current standout candidate. I’m still not sure whether he’d be the right man since every manager is deemed a risk, but his ethos and MO lines up with what we want to do and what we did when we were successful.

AneRu

Spurs recruitment 2013-16 is a trick they/Poch haven't been able to repeat. The days of getting an Eriksen for £12m, Dembele for £17m, Alli for £5m etc are gone. The building a team on a budget thing Poch is famed for is highly unlikely to be repeated.
But United don't need to buy Eriksen for £12m or Alli for £5m we need a guy that can point to Eriksen (that can be Olmo/Ziyech ect), has the pull to attract him and the ability to use him in a functional football team. Even if we pay £50m for such a buy we have the brand and ability to monetize success that is not matched by any other club.

Spending on a budget has to be taken in context, last season we spent £50m on Fred and some on Dalot and that was considered low spending but how many seasons have Spurs or Arsenal spent more than £50m net? We just need someone to turn that spending power into a consistent football team not to help us shop in the bargain basement.

Leftback99

But United don't need to buy Eriksen for £12m or Alli for £5m we need a guy that can point to Eriksen (that can be Olmo/Ziyech ect), has the pull to attract him and the ability to use him in a functional football team. Even if we pay £50m for such a buy we have the brand and ability to monetize success that is not matched by any other club.

Spending on a budget has to be taken in context, last season we spent £50m on Fred and some on Dalot and that was considered low spending but how many seasons have Spurs or Arsenal spent more than £50m net? We just need someone to turn that spending power into a consistent football team not to help us shop in the bargain basement.
But you're also making the assumption that all of the good transfer decisions/scouting were heavily down to Poch. Their signings since 2016 have been underwhelming.

AneRu

But you're also making the assumption that all of the good transfer decisions/scouting were heavily down to Poch. Their signings since 2016 have been underwhelming.
If you read my post to completion you would have noticed that I said he is not my first choice. That and other reasons are reasons why but I also recognize that he is a good coach, what he achieved with Spurs and Southampton can't be ignored and if he can replicate that here he would leave us in a better place a few years down the line, something no manager has managed since Fergie retired.

Right now we also need what he has proven he is able to deliver - consistent top 4 finishes over a few years before we are strong enough to build a title challenge. I think we need to target making United a consistent top 3 team, with a defined style of play and then look to making a couple of big signings that can turn us into title contenders.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What's Pochettino's track record like with signings? I've heard some people say it's terrible which surprised me seeing as he basically built that Spurs side. Dele Alli and Son were astute buys, and I'd hardly call the rest of them flops. I think it's relevant seeing as rebuilding our first team is what he'd be faced with in the summer.

AneRu

I was comparing over the last year which is at least 30 games. It's still a valid concern. You can't excuse Poch because his squad needs a rebuild but expect Ole to have a high win % with a squad that also has clear limitations. That's ignoring that i'm told on here it's all about coaching rather than the quality of players at your disposal.
That both teams need a rebuild is valid but then you also have to look at what both achieved at this level, in this league. Pochettino qualified for the CL in 4/5 seasons whilst Ole got Cardiff relegated and was subsequently sacked after being shit in the Championship. I know who I would trust with a major rebuild and it's not Ole.

He'sRaldo

The fact that he got to a CL final helps, if he had won even a small trophy at least he could have gotten that monkey off his back. The pressure will be huge at OT and that will be the first line out if he falters or takes too long to build something.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Him coming to us makes too much sense so it won’t happen.
Would be a perfect fit with both parties having a point to prove.

For me it’s either him or Tuchel in case he leaves PSG.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
What's Pochettino's track record like with signings? I've heard some people say it's terrible which surprised me seeing as he basically built that Spurs side. Dele Alli and Son were astute buys, and I'd hardly call the rest of them flops. I think it's relevant seeing as rebuilding our first team is what he'd be faced with in the summer.
In his first few seasons at Spurs, he bought very well.

After that it went downhill real fast. His final few transfer windows at Tottenham (the ones where he actually bought players) were very disappointing.

R'hllor

This is aint Poch related but in general and our current situation, i love questions like "what X manager has won", like we are there, standing in front of winning big trophy doors, just waiting someone to open it for us. When in reality our bunch of useless cnuts barely can string 5 passes together.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Both us and Jose had a point to prove too.
Jose had no point to prove. Like him or not but the guy has won the big titles with different teams from various leagues.
Poch is viewed as one of the best managers of our time because of how he transformed Spurs but it is only one team and no major titles so far.
Rebuilding our squad and get a PL or CL would be massive and get his name up there with the big ones.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Jose had no point to prove. Like him or not but the guy has won the big titles with different teams from various leagues.
Poch is viewed as one of the best managers of our time because of how he transformed Spurs but it is only one team and no major titles so far.
Rebuilding our squad and get a PL or CL would be massive and get his name up there with the big ones.
He absolutely had a point to prove personally, and I remember reading various articles at the time stating that united and Jose were the dream partnership for this reason. I mean in terms of himself proving he is still the best and not proving his credentials of being an excellent manager.

redshaw

I hope we're looking into Poch or someone else right now for the summer. I'm fine with letting Ole see out the season and a recharged Poch come in.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not so sure, 18 months ago you could get a Maguire for 17m and for you could of picked up CR7 MK2 AKA Martinelli for penies ;)

NoPace

My guess is he'd be a good appointment but still not the Klopp or Guardiola we need, like the good times in the Van Gaal or Mourinho periods. So basically a B+ appointment.

Don't care that he's "never won anything" as he made Southampton much, much better, did well at Spurs and made a CL final in his final year. 86 points and +60 in 2016/17 was basically one goal from a typical title winning season (average number to win Prem is 86.91).

Do care that his style of football doesn't seem as obviously impressive as Pep's possession or Klopp's pressing, though I tend to be a sucker for that over pragmatism (would have torn my arm off for Sarri after Napoli).

I've watched less non-Prem football than ever so can't really comment on guys doing well like Gasperini (3 at the back would suit Wan-Bissaka but he seems to like playmakers more than wingers which isn't a great for us, and I've read his system works best against 3 at the back which also not great).

The guy I'm surprised isn't rumoured more yet is the Slavia Praha manager, as they held Barca to 0-0 while playing a high line and have scored 45 and only conceded 4 this season in their league, which is insane. Any Czech posters interested.

We need transformation and long-term thinking, but if we're just hiring for the next 2-3 years while that transformation occurs with bringing in 8-10 new players, then having Pochettino get his teams to work hard, which isn't nothing, would make the process less painful.

Last edited:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I'm not sure how much input Poch would have had with the transfers at Spurs. Daniel Levy is in charge & has the last say on everything. Poch at one point said he was the coach not the manager.

friedeggden

Supports
Liverpool
I'm really surprised there are so many united fans that want to appoint Poch.

He's a good manager, but is he really going to restore you to a title challenging team?

United is a long term project as it stands, not to different to where Liverpool where when Klopp come in, albeit with a better starting XI than what Klopp had to begin with.

Is Poch the man for a 2-3 season rebuild? I just don't see it at all.

Castia

Leicester are doing it right now aren’t they? Wolves? hell even Sheff United are 7th or so.

You can build a good team without spending £80m on each player.

ShinjiNinja26

He's a good manager, but is he really going to restore you to a title challenging team?

United is a long term project as it stands, not to different to where Liverpool where when Klopp come in, albeit with a better starting XI than what Klopp had to begin with.

I’m not 100% sure if Pochettino is the man to take us back to the top but I’m certain Ole isn’t the right man to do so. A change needs to happen whether it’s Poch or somebody else.

Of course it requires time and proper investment in the squad but you need to make sure you’re backing the right man first which I don’t think we are currently.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

you must have been living under a rock the past five years because Pochettino has made a team with not even half the amount of resources at United to challenge for the title and get into the champions league final. I know you would love for us to keep Ole, but discrediting Poch work over the last few years is ridiculous.

Poch is the only sensible option for this project. With Kane doing poorly under Mourinho we might even be able to lure him here at United as well.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's definitely still possible, but not for a club our size.

Anyone selling to us knows they can squeeze us for maximum $$$, and there's nothing we can do about it because it's obvious how desperate we are and where we need to get back to.

Plus our guy looking after the kitty - who infamously claimed we could do stuff in the transfer market other clubs could only dream of - will have brought in 3 players in 3 windows if we don't sign anyone this January.

We seriously need to stop talking about managerial chops and changes and focus on those higher up.

Micky Targaryen

How's Jose working out so far?
Clap back till you’re blue in the face he’s not wrong.
Sorry, what?
What part of the statement you responded to was incorrect? Who gives a feck how Mourinho is doing
I still don't understand what you're talking about.
About as surprising as today’s performance
Wtf ?? :lol:

I think the kid's drunk.

Leftback99

Leicester are doing it right now aren’t they? Wolves? hell even Sheff United are 7th or so.

You can build a good team without spending £80m on each player.
As I replied above on Leicester
It remains to be seen if it is sustained success like the Spurs squad have. They have spend £300m+ on purchases in the last 4 years.
Wolves have spent £180m+ in the last 2 years. Moving from 7th/8th to regular top 4 with a low budget is a different level.

United58

Apparently Barca are sniffing around, though it looks like they're in for Xavi.

Would love Poch here in the summer, some brilliant young players to work with.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm 99% certain Poch won't manage Barcelona. He's a fine coach but I actually believe him when he says he won't manage Barcelona. I could see Dortmund sniffing around for him if they part with Favre. I think he'll end up at Real Madrid one day.