A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Infra-red

United reaching out to Pochettino (if indeed they have), doesn't necessarily mean that Ole is for the chop.

Sensible to set up a 'plan B' in case they decide to make a change, though, and Pochettino is one of the best in the business.

Lynty

It's never going to happen. Surprised this thread is 290 pages long.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Rebuild rebuild rebuild, it's all I ever hear on this forum, funny enough we seem to be the only club in world football that seems to be in a perpetual state of it, even other clubs who change managers on the reg aren't constantly rebuilding.

Maybe its just because Pochettino is a hell of a better manager than Ole and Ole has proven absolutely nothing in be able to carry a "rebuild" through. It's one thing to say "Oh we just sack after a few bad results" but we don't do we, if we as a club sacked managers after a few bad results we'd have gone through double the amount of managers we have done since Fergie retired. We sack managers because the state of the football on the pitch has been horrendous, as have the transfer dealings and any number of things. Please point to any statistic or facet of our style of play on the pitch, our tactics and things like that, that shows how fantastic Ole has been so far, please, show me the Brendan Rodgers effect Ole has had on this team, like he has had on Leicester.
I can't believe the words "Brendan Rodgers" have been linked to "Effect". The Brendan Rodgers Effect. And it is used POSITIVELY! Feck me. What's this world coming to.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Let us ignore the following facts:
1) We have only have 34 points from a possible 66.
2) Managed to win only 9 games out of 22 games.
3) Nearly out of the Carbaro cup

No other manager in the world could write off a season saying we are improving, long term project, etc & no other board accepts this kind of mediocrity from the manager and no other clubs' half fanbase believe in the lies from incompetent manager and board.
So are most other teams though, I don't understand why this is an argument. The rest ARE in fact an argument. But I'd still err on the side of in favor, for the 20 points listed above. We are still in a better position this season than last, with a team that will only improve, for the natural reasons of personal progression throughout the playergroup.

Steven-UK

You all talk about Mauricio Pochettino like he is some kind of Messiah, he has done NOTHING in the game in terms of actual achievements. 290 pages of rambling nonsense about a manager who has done nothing, is a perfect example of how far we have fallen as a club, and footballing giant.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You all talk about Mauricio Pochettino like he is some kind of Messiah, he has done NOTHING in the game in terms of actual achievements. 290 pages of rambling nonsense about a manager who has done nothing, is a perfect example of how far we have fallen as a club, and footballing giant.
Done nothing... ok

L1nk

Done nothing... ok
Not to mention, 290 pages of waffling over an absolute nothing of a manager and its a perfect example of how far we have fallen as a club. But we hire a manager who has done even less and been a failure at nearly every club he's been at, unlike Pochettino, but that's apparently not a perfect example of how far we have fallen as a club?

Driven by pure emotion and nothing else because he's an ex player, it's not because they are wowed by his presence as a manager or coach or his achievements as one.

reddevilchennai

When Ole Gunnar Solskjaer / Permanent manager is allowed 938 pages, Poch who has taken a team to CL final, finished in top 4 multiple times is allowed 290 pages.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Let us ignore the following facts:
1) We have only have 34 points from a possible 66.
2) Managed to win only 9 games out of 22 games.
3) Nearly out of the Carbaro cup

No other manager in the world could write off a season saying we are improving, long term project, etc & no other board accepts this kind of mediocrity from the manager and no other clubs' half fanbase believe in the lies from incompetent manager and board.
Some 2019 Pochettino facts for comparison:
1) In 2019 he only had 40 points from a possible 90. 14 from 36 this season.
2) Managed to win only 11 out of 30 games. 3 out of 12 this season.
3) Crashed out of the Carabao cup to Colchester in the 3rd round.

passing-wind

Well Solskjaer has also done nothing of note. Solskjaer has failed at more clubs than he's succeeded and he's failing here currently. I'd understand fans frustration at Poch if we had a Klopp in charge but that's not the case we have quite easily one of the worst managers in top flight football.

Zen86

Bizarre fanboyism for a manager whose only achievements are bagging top 4 for a few seasons by default, because the competition were terrible at the time, and lucking his way to a CL final for which they didn’t bother turning up anyway.

Speaks volumes that at his absolute peak of management, he was soundly beaten to the title by the mighty Leicester.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Bizarre fanboyism for a manager whose only achievements are bagging top 4 for a few seasons by default, because the competition were terrible at the time, and lucking his way to a CL final for which they didn’t bother turning up anyway.

Speaks volumes that at his absolute peak of management, he was soundly beaten to the title by the mighty Leicester.
My thoughts too. I don’t understand the worshiping.

people say he done it with spurs but they probably had one of the best teams in league (top 3 easily) and one of the worlds in form strikers.
they were not as bad as people make out before he got there, redknapp was getting them top four a few years before, Poch didn’t drag spurs from the depths of the league.

now, even the spurs fans here are happy he left and think he should have won stuff when he had the chance

Greck

"Pochettino is an underaccomplished manager who has done nothing". - Person championing the cause of an even more unaccomplished manager

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Kind of sick of people using just trophies to judge managers. I am ok if you don't think that Pochettino should be at United but if you actually genuinely follow football week after week then it is beyond me how you can consider his time at Spurs to be anything but a massive success

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Kind of sick of people using just trophies to judge managers. I am ok if you don't think that Pochettino should be at United but if you actually genuinely follow football week after week then it is beyond me how you can consider his time at Spurs to be anything but a massive success
He didn’t exactly leave them in a good state, contracts expiring, players wanting out, bottom end of the table and although you don’t like it, he didn’t win anything when he was there. Where’s the massive success?

Jibbs

If anybody here is comparing Poch with Ole and thinks Poch has done nothing of note to be considered for United job, then there is no point arguing with that person, they simply don't know football.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He didn’t exactly leave them in a good state, contracts expiring, players wanting out, bottom end of the table and although you don’t like it, he didn’t win anything when he was there. Where’s the massive success?
99% of managers get sacked in the end. But you judge them on their time overall at a club.

Pochettino turned Spurs into a regular top 4 club and - in the process - did it on a tiny budget … which greatly helped us to pay for our new stadium and new training ground.

And reaching a CL final ain't so bad either.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If anybody here is comparing Poch with Ole and thinks Poch has done nothing of note to be considered for United job, then there is no point arguing with that person, they simply don't know football.
Agree completely. The only nuance with Poch and United is whether he's the right man for the job. If that PTB bit is true, then I'd be reassured by his having certain requirements and also by what those requirements are.

Zen86

My thoughts too. I don’t understand the worshiping.

people say he done it with spurs but they probably had one of the best teams in league (top 3 easily) and one of the worlds in form strikers.
they were not as bad as people make out before he got there, redknapp was getting them top four a few years before, Poch didn’t drag spurs from the depths of the league.

now, even the spurs fans here are happy he left and think he should have won stuff when he had the chance
Indeed, he’s such a great manager he was sacked midway through the season by Tottenham Hotspur, who felt that an out of touch Mourinho of all people was a better option.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Listened to his pod. Says it's the same source who told him we'd sign Lukaku and di Maria, before it was out there. Says Poch doesn't have an agent, so they had to find a trusted middleman as Woodward could not be seen discussing with Poch. Poch's demands were: Doesn't want to take over until the summer, demands a DoF, Woodward is not to interfere with football matters and Poch will need funds to go into the market.

Wasn't it you @Adnan who said Poch doesn't want to work with a DoF ?

Not sure what to make of this. Interesting gossip at least.
Just listened myself, over an hour I'll never get back

I'm also calling BS

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
First of all everyone knows that levy does everything at spurs . The contracts thing was a by product of Pochettino doing a great job where lots of players who spurs had on very low contracts now became sought after . People said the same thing about klopp and trophies till last year . I would love United to win the cups but if we finish 6th and Ole wins the FA cup then it means nothing to me frankly . Spurs should have gone through a terrible period with the stadium in process but he did a great job keeping them at the top

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
First of all everyone knows that levy does everything at spurs . The contracts thing was a by product of Pochettino doing a great job where lots of players who spurs had on very low contracts now became sought after . People said the same thing about klopp and trophies till last year . I would love United to win the cups but if we finish 6th and Ole wins the FA cup then it means nothing to me frankly . Spurs should have gone through a terrible period with the stadium in process but he did a great job keeping them at the top
Still, where is the massive success?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Still, where is the massive success?
Keeping spurs in the top 4 with a Cl final at a time when the club's spending was pretty meagre because of the stadium and doing this while playing some great football is a massive success imo . The reason people want him here is because they believe that with proper resources he could build an even better team and compete/win the league title.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
When assessing his Spurs years I would actually pay more attention to league performance than CL final appearance as they required a huge amount of luck to be in that final. They almost went out in the group stages and only didn’t because Inter bottled it against PSV, at home. They went through with just 8 points, and were massively lucky against both City and Ajax. While being in CL is an achievement, the circumstances were so freaky that it doesn’t really mean that much.

They did very well in the league though. I don’t think his time there, save for this season, would have been any less impressive without that CL final and I don’t think we should even look at that CL final when we make a decision to pursue him or not.

patty123

And dont forget how the Ole out brigade like to remind us he took a team that was already going down, down but rather conveniently forget to mention their demi god left his team in spain rock bottom 9 points of safety when he walked out on them and these are the same people licking the arse of AF for being a winner and also conveniently forget 99% of the fanbase sang "ta ra" to him in 89 and well, whats the chances of the ones who want Ole gone who were of age back then admitting they sang it too ?

Last edited:

Haddock

Marcus from the football ramble dropped a little hint on the preview show podcast this week that Luke Shaw has been going around telling people that Poch is taking over in the summer but he's been told to shut it now.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
That's because all the best spurs players eventually want to be paid more and play for bigger teams when they become rated. Spurs can't offer wages and trophies like Real Madrid.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
De Brun's contact told him in the same email that we're looking for loan deals which Ole has now confirmed. Hopefully, Poch comes in during the summer.
I m not hopefully about the situation. We have made a lot of bad decisions post Sir Alex and hiring Pochettino would be the best decision we have made. I don’t see it happening as a result.

However, we are building a young energetic squad and Pochettino thrive with such players.He will be the right man to take up this process and turn it into something fruitful. Fourfourtwo just claimed that Pochettino is the third best manager in the premier league in the past decade. Moreover, the independent has a good article that states how United could be passing on a historical opportunity to hire Pochettino who has the best track record in our modern game towards rebuilding a team.

We all know what has to be done. It is up to the board to realize this as well.

ranxerox

I can't believe the words "Brendan Rodgers" have been linked to "Effect". The Brendan Rodgers Effect. And it is used POSITIVELY! Feck me. What's this world coming to.
Sounds like the name of a wannabe studio band

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Marcus from the football ramble dropped a little hint on the preview show podcast this week that Luke Shaw has been going around telling people that Poch is taking over in the summer but he's been told to shut it now.
:lol:

L1nk

"He was sacked! he left his club in # position!"

It's like some people just completely ignored what happened with Klopp and Dortmund. No, i'm not saying he is Klopp, but there are nuances and context to situations sometimes.

L1nk

No English though, but im guessing your tweet pretty much sums up the article. No idea on credibility of the guy, but certainly followed by alot of journalists in the UK