A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m slightly confused how Poch fans seem happy that he hasn’t won anything yet and it doesn’t matter if he does with us, just get us too four and build for a few years and then get a manager in to win a trophy?

poch Left spurs in awful state, relegation form, lost dressing room, players wanting out.
so what makes you think he’s going to leave United in a position that and other manager can come in, pick up and win the league?

Seems another pointless 3 years lined up to me

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It feels inevitable at this point that Poch will be Utd manager next season. Mixed emotions about it as I'd be happy for him but also extremely unhappy that he will likely turn Utd around which is not what I want.

spiriticon

I have no doubt about Poch's coaching ability. I wanted him here badly after LvG.

I only doubt his man-management abilities now. He somehow managed to lose the Spurs dressing room, and the United dressing room is a far uglier beast to handle if Fred is to be believed.

Will he manage to get our prima-donnas in line? 4 managers have come, tried and failed.

Infra-red

United should always be striving for improvement. Pochettino would be a very significant upgrade on Solskjaer.

This, as they say, is a 'no brainer'.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I have no doubt about Poch's coaching ability. I wanted him here badly after LvG.

I only doubt his man-management abilities now. He somehow managed to lose the Spurs dressing room, and the United dressing room is a far uglier beast to handle if Fred is to be believed.

Will he manage to get our prima-donnas in line? 4 managers have come, tried and failed.
Well remember that when he first came to Spurs we had several 'trouble' players with big egos - Adebayor is a great example but there were others - Poch got them all out the door very quickly.

He did lose the dressing room 5 years later but only in the last year and that was partially down to the post-final hangover and also Poch's stubbornness to not adapt and change his ways. I'd expect him to quickly identify who are the trouble makers and he will have them all sold within the first year.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well remember that when he first came to Spurs we had several 'trouble' players with big egos - Adebayor is a great example but there were others - Poch got them all out the door very quickly.

He did lose the dressing room 5 years later but only in the last year and that was partially down to the post-final hangover and also Poch's stubbornness to not adapt and change his ways. I'd expect him to quickly identify who are the trouble makers and he will have them all sold within the first year.
Adebayor was crap though and hardly a mainstay of the team anyway. Poch couldn’t walk into a club and sell the best players just because they have attitude, he needs to beat that attitude.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Adebayor was crap though and hardly a mainstay of the team anyway. Poch couldn’t walk into a club and sell the best players just because they have attitude, he needs to beat that attitude.
I think you would be surprised. He is pretty ruthless when he doesn't want a player. He wanted to sell about half the players in our squad last year but Levy screwed half the deals up by wanting too much money.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think you would be surprised. He is pretty ruthless when he doesn't want a player. He wanted to sell about half the players in our squad last year but Levy screwed half the deals up by wanting too much money.
Fair enough, maybe that’s alsomplayed a part in losing the dressing room then and prevented a rebuild

romufc

The same players have also been let go by Jose. Erickson, Rose etc.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The same players have also been let go by Jose. Erickson, Rose etc.
Jose was able to come in immediately with more clout than Poch was ever given. Eriksen would have been sold regardless who was manager - very happy to see Rose go though, Poch rated him but Jose doesn't.

Toni Roncoroni

I hope he is in line to take over in the summer and end this nightmare. I don't really think he lost the dressing room. I mean the CL final was the highlight of his reign and you loose it. So the whole team just lost the biggest game of their career and they probably know, that they will not be playing such a game soon. You have players who do not want to be there and I think also for himself it was pretty hard to take. Which is obvious if you give your all for a few years.

So I think it is pretty funny to hear those comments about him winning nothing and loosing the dressing room. Those comments are coming from the same fans who think that Ole will be a great manager if you give him time. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

spiriticon

The problem is he'd have to get top 4 whilst doing that otherwise it's the sack. Our fanbase is clearly running out of patience for a rebuild.

He has to hit the ground running and be able to adapt, change and not be stubborn.

Ultimate_L

I think that Spurs lost their momentum after the CL final. Poch assembled a great squad but I think you can only keep a squad like that motivated for so long without them looking enviously at other clubs and wondering why they aren't in the same/similar situation.
They had been battling for the top 3 past few seasons and drawing short - Keeping such a lineup of talent happy without breaking the bank to keep talent around them would leave some cracks in the foundations. If Kane was to come out tomorrow suggesting he's willing to listen to offers - bet you most of the clubs in Europe would jump at the chance. That would apply to most of the squad.

I am a fan of Poch regardless of his shortcomings at club level. He would be a great addition to United and potentially help us battle for trophies again.

Reactions: Jippy

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The problem is he'd have to get top 4 whilst doing that otherwise it's the sack. Our fanbase is clearly running out of patience for a rebuild.

He has to hit the ground running and be able to adapt, change and not be stubborn.
Does he? I think he would get at least one full season to get things sorted out. Your club is an utter mess at the moment.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
When you think about Spurs players wanting out, you have to remember that usually the best spurs players want to go to the biggest clubs when they have proven themselves. Spurs can't give them bloated contracts like we can.

mu4c_20le

I think that Spurs lost their momentum after the CL final. Poch assembled a great squad but I think you can only keep a squad like that motivated for so long without them looking enviously at other clubs and wondering why they aren't in the same/similar situation.
They had been battling for the top 3 past few seasons and drawing short - Keeping such a lineup of talent happy without breaking the bank to keep talent around them would leave some cracks in the foundations.
So in other words, he failed to refresh the squad. He should have let go some of the stars that wanted to go, rather than forcing them to stay and then leave for free. Spurs used to be pretty good at knowing when to move on players for a big profit and then replacing them with cheaper talents. If he does come here I will support him like I do with any United manager, but I fear his ceiling is fairly limited and may disappoint some.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Does he? I think he would get at least one full season to get things sorted out. Your club is an utter mess at the moment.
It isn't. People get that impression thank to poor coaches we keep on hiring. Obviously we need improvements in key positions like RW, CM but overall we have few good players and some very good players.

De Gea/Henderson
AWB
Maguire
Fred
McTominay
Pogba
Bruno
Matic
Rashford
Sanchez
James
Greenwood

is a good foundation to build on.

Mr Smith

So in other words, he failed to refresh the squad. He should have let go some of the stars that wanted to go, rather than forcing them to stay and then leave for free. Spurs used to be pretty good at knowing when to move on players for a big profit and then replacing them with cheaper talents. If he does come here I will support him like I do with any United manager, but I fear his ceiling is fairly limited and may disappoint some.
All accounts I have heard/read is that he wanted to do this, but Levy wouldn't allow it.

spiriticon

Well, Ole's not had one full season yet and you can see where the patience is with the fanbase at the moment.

He has to be in the top 4 at the end of the season.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Don't mind him. He's a massive Ole apologist.

Poch would get what any good manager should, a bit of leeway for the first year until he gets a transfer window or two under his belt, showing continuous improvement as he goes along. I think if, in his second season, we were performing worse than in his first season, he should obviously go, because that's completely unacceptable.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It isn't. People get that impression thank to poor coaches we keep on hiring. Obviously we need improvements in key positions like RW, CM but overall we have few good players and some very good players.

De Gea/Henderson - Been poor for several years
AWB - not an attacking wing-back which is what Poch likes
Maguire - decent
Fred - decent
McTominay - decent
Pogba - god knows - if he is an issue behind the scenes I reckon he will be gone
Bruno - could be good
Matic - old and past it
Rashford - excellent
Sanchez - old and past it
James - ok squad player
Greenwood - potentially good

It's ok but not great and I think there are big question marks on several of those players.

spiriticon

Don't mind him. He's a massive Ole apologist.

Poch would get what any good manager should, a bit of leeway for the first year until he gets a transfer window or two under his belt, showing continuous improvement as he goes along. I think if, in his second season, we were performing worse than in his first season, he should obviously go, because that's completely unacceptable.
I don't really care much about Ole. I'm just tired of seeing the same cycle repeat itself every couple of years, which is exactly what you're suggesting.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

De Gea/Henderson - Been poor for several years
AWB - not an attacking wing-back which is what Poch likes
Maguire - decent
Fred - decent
McTominay - decent
Pogba - god knows - if he is an issue behind the scenes I reckon he will be gone
Bruno - could be good
Matic - old and past it
Rashford - excellent
Sanchez - old and past it
James - ok squad player
Greenwood - potentially good

It's ok but not great and I think there are big question marks on several of those players.
Completely disagree with everything.

romufc

So it is his fault that he didn't refresh the squad. Levy could have sold Erikson last season and got a replacement but kept him hoping he would sign a deal.

Spurs was always a stepping stone for Poch, IMO he has done really well there and we have to remember he will learn from the mistakes too. He is proven in the PL, probably one of the only few managers we can get right now.

I would take him all day, give him 3/4 signings and his remit has to be to win the league within 3 years.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't really care much about Ole. I'm just tired of seeing the same cycle repeat itself every couple of years, which is exactly what you're suggesting.
I'm suggesting if a manager isn't showing improvement in his second season upon his first season then he should be sacked. Hardly radical.

No manager in the PL has ever turned around a situation like that.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He apparently wanted to do that but Levy demanded too high transfer fees to let them go.

evil_geko

poch Left spurs in awful state, relegation form, lost dressing room, players wanting out.
so what makes you think he’s going to leave United in a position that and other manager can come in, pick up and win the league?
Klopp has done the same with Dortmund before leaving them, see how that turned out.

spiriticon

I'm suggesting if a manager isn't showing improvement in his second season upon his first season then he should be sacked. Hardly radical.

No manager in the PL has ever turned around a situation like that.
You make it sound like you can't have a blip season in the rebuild process, that all managers always have an upwards trend of improvement without fail.

It doesn't work like that. Shit does happen.