A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Why would Ashton be involved in anything relating to signing Poch? The fact that they were pictures together on a public game, when MU probably dont want us to know anything, indicate to me that there is not much to it.

I mean, if there was anything to it they would probably be a bit more careful. I mean, a very close friend of Ole, Åge Hareide, was right beside them.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Apparently Bruno wanted to go Spurs cause of Poch and decided not to because of the managerial change.. something else that might point towards Poch in the summer.

I have thought for the last 2 seasons he is a Manutd manager
:D
I'll be delighted if/when this goes through

RedDevil@84

Can't wait for Poch to sign and suddenly finds out that Ed has signed 2 players when he had asked for 5. And Ed would say we have spent so many millions.

mu4c_20le

Man Utd is not a charity, it shouldn't be run like one. If there is one job he's even more unqualified for at this club, it's the job of being the DoF.

When he's inevitably sacked, we should pay him his severance package and move the feck on from this romantic non-sense which is leading us no where.
No offense but i dont think you've got a clue about what makes a good DoF or not. The fact that you uses phrases like Ole apologists and seem to have a hard on for the man makes me think you can't even see past your own emotions. Wouldn't be surprised if you are also Saudis In, judging from your other post about having to 'cut the cords' and move forward with a completely clean slate.

NWRed

I genuinely wish people wouldn't keep on about that PSG game, they were all over us, hit the post multiple times etc. We scored from a terrible backpass that was so short it left Lukaku 1v1, the second goal Buffon dropped an absolute clanger into our lap, and the last was a very lucky penalty. Yes a wins a win but let's not act like we outclassed them and use it as a reason to give Ole more time.
We won. There have been plenty of games in which we've been unlucky and should have won. You can't have it both ways by saying the results of the games in which we've been unlucky mean he should go but a game in which we had a bit of luck doesn't count.

Can't wait for Poch to sign and suddenly finds out that Ed has signed 2 players when he had asked for 5. And Ed would say we have spent so many millions.
This one again @RedDevil@84 ?

Our shopping list since SAF left has been the exact opposite, it's a who's who of each manager's favourite players. Our biggest problem has been not saying "stop" to managers if anything. A good bunch of the signings on the list below had no real plan to them, just that the current manager liked 'em init or had worked with them before.

Fellaini, Mata, Falcao, Rojo*, ADM, Blind, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Pogba, Matic, Lindelöf, Lukaku.

We even let LVG give Nani away on loan to bring in fecking Rojo of all players, cause LVG just has to have a left footed centre half :lol:

the chameleon

His results against top 6 sides and PSG, the improvement of players, the moving on of players who don't fit united's style and should never have been signed, the blooding of youngsters, the refusal to sign players who aren't commited to the club 100%, the long term view he takes of squad building and management.
Look at our position in the league? Being a midtable side that occasionally raises it's game against top 6 clubs isn't going to win the Premier League or get us competing in UCL. I was also Ole in, then I became on the fence but some of his amateur decisions such as playing an injured Rashford have me an ardent Ole out. Nice guy Ole and club legend but he's not going to win titles. Ignoring Poch to keep Ole would be the most idiotic decision the board make yet. As another fan put it, take away sentiments and you have no reason to choose Ole over Poch.

We won. There have been plenty of games in which we've been unlucky and should have won. You can't have it both ways by saying the results of the games in which we've been unlucky mean he should go but a game in which we had a bit of luck doesn't count.
We also beat Juve away last season, just a month before we rightfully sacked Mourinho.

Whilst we "deserved" neither win, we got absolutely dicked by PSG, how the feck we won that game I'll never know. Well actually I will, by a shot from Dalot that was going about 500 yards over the bar :lol:

Phil Osophy

I believe the contacts with him and his camp, but I wouldn't read too much into it by the moment.

The club needs to be prepared for every possible scenario and it's the right time to start testing the waters out there. But I don't think there's something firm from our side yet and I doubt even more that Poch would commit now with us for next season.

He said to Sky that he'd want to manage in the PL, but two weeks ago he said in Spain that he also loves La Liga and he's 'half spanish', and one month ago he was open to 'everything interesting'. Some years ago he said to a french radio that managing PSG one day would be a dream, and a few days later he signed a renewal with Spurs. Now is more or less the same I think.

The man is promoting himself in the media, feeding the rumours and trying to attract interest from different clubs, just to get himself in a better position to press for a good contract and certain guarantees when he picks his choice.

That's not saying that he won't come, but as soon as he listens Woody talking about the cultural reboot, the 5 years plan, the transfer committee and the amazing scouting system analyzing 800 right backs, the man will leave the room terrified. With the squad being purged aggressively, an amateur structure and some players talking openly about the mess we have as a dressing room, he would be a fool to sign anything with us now without seeing first if he can get something better.

Even more after losing the CL final and being so affected for it (apparently), he surely wants a solid platform to compete for things now and redeem himself soon if possible, instead of fighting for top-4 and patiently developing young players again. So even if he ends up coming, I don't think he will make the decision before the dance of managers starts around April/May, as many things could happen and new doors could be open. I wouldn't pay much attention to the noise until then.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
No offense but i dont think you've got a clue about what makes a good DoF or not.
One of the most clueless poster on this forum is lecturing others about whether they have a clue or not, my sides :lol:

And yes I do know what a role of DoF comprises of, they are the person who establish long term plans for the club and ensure the managerial changes do not affect the overall style of football or results they are aiming for, besides their main task is on the recruitment side and squad management. Ole possesses neither of these skills, 14 months into this job you'll be hard pressed for any football fan to tell us what style of football we play. And then you need a good network of agents all around the globe to be in a position to thrash out a deal if a certain talent becomes available. Look at Ole's signings in his 10 year long managerial career and who they are represented by to see how limited his reach is. He won't magically conjure up a worldwide network of agents as soon as he gets that job, just like he won't magically become a top level manager by signing better players.

The fact that you uses phrases like Ole apologists and seem to have a hard on for the man makes me think you can't even see past your own emotions.
Oh the irony! I'm not the one who went on a long rant because I can't contain my emotions, talks to others and they'll tell you what I'll say, you cannot hold a objective discussion on Ole, you eventually resort to childish ad-hominem attacks because others hold a different viewpoint to you. I (along with many others) want him out of this job, not because I have a 'hard on' to see him fail, but because he's plain not cut out for this level, neither on the mangerial side and certainly not in the role of DoF/Technical Director.

Wouldn't be surprised if you are also Saudis In, judging from your other post about having to 'cut the cords' and move forward with a completely clean slate.
You're projecting things straight out of your arse, I haven't made a single post on whether I want Saudis in. I want the club to move forward and stop harking back to what worked in Fergie days at first sign of trouble. Limited success we've seen under van Gaal and Mourinho have been down to them imprinting their ideas, while the ones who tried to do things the 'United Way' in Moyes and Ole are two of the worst managerial appointments made in this clubs history. Liverpool are about to break their 30 year old wait for PL not because Klopp tried to recapture the spirit of Shankly but rather because of the fresh ideas and philosophies he imprinted on that club.

Rolaholic

Definitely feels like a club brief with all the different sources reporting on this since yesterday...

Crossing my finger's they're true

USREDEVIL

Definitely feels like a club brief with all the different sources reporting on this since yesterday...

Crossing my finger's they're true
Me too. Maybe Ole can be assigned to an advisory role or something. Love having him involved in our club but we need a proper coach it seems.

caid

If were going to change manager, then do it. Can we not have daily briefings for 6 months before actually doing it this time though?
I still see Ole as a caretaker, someone who wont rock the boat until a suitable candidate comes up. Don't think thats Poch ultimately but he'll probably get us closer, so sure why not. Just don't drag it out.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I have no doubt about Poch's coaching ability. I wanted him here badly after LvG.

I only doubt his man-management abilities now. He somehow managed to lose the Spurs dressing room, and the United dressing room is a far uglier beast to handle if Fred is to be believed.

Will he manage to get our prima-donnas in line? 4 managers have come, tried and failed.
After 5 years and without it being refreshed, on top of that huge pay disparity between key players. Fergie always knew you had to refresh a squad after 3/4 years.

Alabaster Codify7

This is happening then come June. Thanks for steering the ship somewhat Ole, thanks for making the fans and players smile for a few months but the end is nigh.

Drifter

American
Wanted him before we got Jose. Think he is just a perfect fit for our team .But can't help thinking that this is just one of those stories that fly around when there is ten day break to kill time.

Rolaholic

Wanted him before we got Jose. Think he is just a perfect fit for our team .But can't help thinking that this is just one of those stories that fly around when there is ten day break to kill time.
Generally I'd agree about that last point but Poch is the one who got the ball rolling with his interview with Sky earlier this week where he confirmed that he wanted to remain in England and is hungry for a new challenge.

All the subsequent reports regarding and confirming our supposed interest in him makes it feel all a bit coordinated the same way it felt after that December from hell under LVG where Mourinho interviews and stories started popping up in unison shortly after.

Just hoping that the club can confirm whatever they're planning and announce it quickly rather than giving Ole a ride for months the same way LVG was up until the FA cup final. The fact that he mentioned that he was already planning for the next season before the Wembley final only to find out he wouldn't be staying not long before matchday left a bitter taste in my mouth tbh.

It's not a good or fair way of doing business so I hope we don't give Ole the same treatment. Would be nice to see a City style Pep announcement months before the season ends just to get rid of any lingering uncertainty and tension regarding the future. It might give the players a boost to try to finish the season strong for Ole the same way City ended up qualifying for the CL after the Pep announcement.

C'est Moi Cantona

If indeed this is true then how Woodward is getting to call the shots once again I have no idea, and how ever so convenient that his press buddy just so happened to be in the same photo shot as Poch last night, fans see this and it takes the heat right off him, and he it's suddenly 'Woody' the great again, the Glazers can disappear into the woodwork because the sponsors are smoothed over for a while longer, and seasons tickets are sold. Ashton is brighter than people give him credit for.

What is easy to forget at these moments is that he has just overseen 4 managers who have utterly failed, and if we keep doing the same things then we will keep getting the same results, unless there's a complete change of approach if Poch come in, ie a Woodward disappearing, a DOF coming in, a large initial budget, a real scouting network (not some made up one), and football coming first, then I expect to be back here saying the same things in about 18 months time.

Last edited:

L1nk

If we are already talking to Poch, just fire this guy.
If this is true, then the main issue being Poch reportly cannot join another Premier League team until the seasons is over, otherwise he forfeits a lot of money, and I doubt we want to pay that money to Daniel Levy in order for it to happen now. So, even though I agree with you, it will be at the end of the season earliest, unless of course, things take a drastic turn for the worse and hands are forced.

NWRed

Look at our position in the league? Being a midtable side that occasionally raises it's game against top 6 clubs isn't going to win the Premier League or get us competing in UCL. I was also Ole in, then I became on the fence but some of his amateur decisions such as playing an injured Rashford have me an ardent Ole out. Nice guy Ole and club legend but he's not going to win titles. Ignoring Poch to keep Ole would be the most idiotic decision the board make yet. As another fan put it, take away sentiments and you have no reason to choose Ole over Poch.
Taking a risk on the fitness of a player who insisted he could play was an amatuer decision? I think you'll find ever manager has done the same including SAF.

I know we're 8th at the moment but football doesn't end in May. Ole has a long term vision for the team and has not had a chance to implement it yet, he deserves that chance.

Thepinhead

Me too. Maybe Ole can be assigned to an advisory role or something. Love having him involved in our club but we need a proper coach it seems.
Ye me too. The players seem to like him and respect him as well. I think Ole has a clear vision of how he wants us to play but maybe we need a better coach to see the vision out. Could be we are going to end up with Ole as a DoF and Poch as our coach/manager. I just hope we start competing again. I think we have some great young upcoming players. Would hate if we screwed this up because I think the squad is starting to look like it just needs that tiny bit of something before we are competing.

the chameleon

Taking a risk on the fitness of a player who insisted he could play was an amatuer decision? I think you'll find ever manager has done the same including SAF.

I know we're 8th at the moment but football doesn't end in May. Ole has a long term vision for the team and has not had a chance to implement it yet, he deserves that chance.
What are Ole's credentials to trust him to build from May. I like Ole and some of his ideas, but he is not capable of implementing any of the grand ideas. All I hear are empty promises and excuses. Let's not hold him accountable for anything. He's spent £200m so far and sits 8th in the league. Teams like Sheffield United are ahead of us. He's massively underperforming.

The only people that want Ole to stay are the romantics and fans of rival clubs. Go on RAWK and you'll see how much they are enjoying this. Apart from being an ex player, he has nothing on Poch.

Greck

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...English-club-reject-return-Juve-AC-Milan.html

Oops....Hmm which source of fake news do i trust... Twitter or Daily Mail?
The Poch rumours are fuelled by his own actual words. Talking about a return to England when he surely isn't talking about Spurs, Pool or City. He doesn't actually name drop us tbf. Anyway the man is refusing top jobs like he already knows. If this happens it will be the worst kept secret in a loooong time

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If we do switch managers I hope the rumors about our ambition in the summer transfer window doesn't change, many times a new manager feels obligied to give the existing team a chance before making drastic changes.
"I wanna give this squad a chance. Everyone gets a clean slate blah blah blah"

NWRed

What are Ole's credentials to trust him to build from May. I like Ole and some of his ideas, but he is not capable of implementing any of the grand ideas. All I hear are empty promises and excuses. Let's not hold him accountable for anything. He's spent £200m so far and sits 8th in the league. Teams like Sheffield United are ahead of us. He's massively underperforming.

The only people that want Ole to stay are the romantics and fans of rival clubs. Go on RAWK and you'll see how much they are enjoying this. Apart from being an ex player, he has nothing on Poch.
That is your opinion. We won't know whether he is capable or not until he's given the chance to implement his ideas, which he hasn't had.

As I've said I like Pochettino but we've tried managers with much better track records of success than him and they failed miserably. Ole deserves a proper chance.

crossy1686

career ending
If Poch does rock up at United, I just hope we get better. I'm tired of us failing. Yet, I have an awful suspcion that 18 months into his reign he'll be in the same position as Ole, Mou and LVG at the same stage: Undermined by underinvestment, the club's unwillingness to trust his judgement over players and in the position of scapegoat for failings elsewhere in the club. Would anyone be shocked if two years down the line its being reported that we're after Conte or someone like that, with Poch looking p'd at promises not being realised and players that he was supposed to have been given not arriving? Why is the appointment of a new manager going to change the way this club has functioned for the past seven years?
This is what will happen in my opinion, until we actually start getting recruitment right we’re going to shaft every manager we have. Solskjaers the only one so far who looks to have half a clue on how recruitment works which is why most people are asking for him to be given time.
If for whatever reason we do appoint Pochettino in the summer, again, we have to give him at least 2-3 seasons to prove he can build a squad and compete. There is zero point in giving a manager full reign then sacking him after a couple of transfer windows.
It’s been said a million times but if we don’t appoint a DOF we’re looking for a goose that lays golden eggs instead.

the chameleon

That is your opinion. We won't know whether he is capable or not until he's given the chance to implement his ideas, which he hasn't had.

As I've said I like Pochettino but we've tried managers with much better track records of success than him and they failed miserably. Ole deserves a proper chance.
I completely agree. You don't know anything until you try. Giving any manager to implement ideas requires an element of risk. If gone wrong, we could set ourselves back another 5 years and in deeper trouble.

Ole has had time to implement ideas at Cardiff. That didn't go down too well did it? What valid reasons do you have for Ole to implement his ideas than the repeated mantra of we've given managers with better records a chance and that didn't work. On your logic, we should just give up on proper managers and just hire anyone to be the manager. What next? Give Lee Sharpe a crack?

If I were a betting man, I would rather give an upcoming manager with an idea of playing football time over Ole.

I don't mean to attack you but what valid reason should we give Ole a chance over someone like Poch?

spiriticon

The article doesn't even mention us. Says an English club, could be anyone. With Ancelotti going to Everton, nothing is outside of the realm of possibility now.
C'mon how many great English clubs are out there with a high chance of changing their manager?

I doubt Poch is talking about Everton when he says he wants to stay and work in England as well.

Everybody's upping their media game now. Briefings everywhere. Some Love Island style drama incoming.