A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
People struggling to argue Ole still needs time. Cant believe we still have people who refuse to accept that his is clueless. Whether Poch will be an answer is a different question but the point is Ole deserves to be fired.

passing-wind

Frankly I'm done replying to you crap
I replied to the vast majority of what you complained about constructively with my original post :lol:. Quite frankly your temperament comes across as you being erratic, you fluctuate the substance of your points with no balance and throw hissy fits. I guess the concept of male periods are a real fabrication in this world...

TheRedHearted

So Pochettino to do what he does best- develop youngsters and get us consistently in top four. Then how much time does he get? After three years if he’s created a well oiled machine that’s getting top four- do we stick with him or then make a push for a proven winner?

jamesjimmybyrondean

So Pochettino to do what he does best- develop youngsters and get us consistently in top four. Then how much time does he get? After three years if he’s created a well oiled machine that’s getting top four- do we stick with him or then make a push for a proven winner?
Well when you look at his work in Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham what Pochettino does best is push teams above their weight not get them top 4. In 3 years time we shouldnt still be aiming for top 4 under him but the title.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
All I want to know is does he prefer to play without a right winger. At Tottenham he used Eriksen an attacking midfielder as the right midfielder but was this the case when he was at Southampton and Espanyol?

I'm asking because if that's the case then I can see why we would be after Grealish that can play the AM role Alli played at Tottenham and Bruno who can play the Eriksen role in right midfield.
Eriksen played mostly as a central ACM, with Son, Lamella, Lucas, Sissoko wide. Pochs preferred line up was a 4-2-3-1.

USREDEVIL

Well when you look at his work in Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham what Pochettino does best is push teams above their weight not get them top 4. In 3 years time we shouldnt still be aiming for top 4 under him but the title.
Some people just cannot process the point you're making. For a team like United, if we are punching above our weight (with some good new signings) we should be challenging for many titles. Just because all that the Spurs players could achieve was top 4 does not mean that's the ceiling for our players.

romufc

Some people just cannot process the point you're making. For a team like United, if we are punching above our weight (with some good new signings) we should be challenging for many titles. Just because all that the Spurs players could achieve was top 4 does not mean that's the ceiling for our players.
Exactly, he went to Spurs with an ambition to be regular top 4 and win a trophy, the fact that he made them so consistent is testament to him. The spurs side was well drilled, some of the football played was brilliant at times.

He will have a much bigger budget and squad at United. I hope we get him.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Surely the sensible suggestion would be to improve gradually, if you are expecting to be challenging next season I fear the same thing will happen amongst the support base, unreal expectations.

USREDEVIL

Surely the sensible suggestion would be to improve gradually, if you are expecting to be challenging next season I fear the same thing will happen amongst the support base, unreal expectations.
Depends on who we recruit in the summer. But maybe some cup trophies as we build towards a big title over the next 2-3 years.

the chameleon

Very well put. Give this man a like! Most to the point post about the case for having Poch. But there are some deluded fans on here who are obsessed with Solksjaer and about giving him a chance to build a team. I think think this extremely ridiculous.

A top manager doesn't need time to build a team. They are able to get the best what is at their disposal. This whole notion of waiting till he builds a team is the most ridiculous and stupid idea. Only our fans can come up with it.

poleglass red

Very well put. Give this man a like! Most to the point post about the case for having Poch. But there are some deluded fans on here who are obsessed with Solksjaer and about giving him a chance to build a team. I think think this extremely ridiculous.

A top manager doesn't need time to build a team. They are able to get the best what is at their disposal. This whole notion of waiting till he builds a team is the most ridiculous and stupid idea. Only our fans can come up with it.
Pep did, Klopp did, Fergie did.
I think what a club/manager needs to do in a rebuilding phase is show improvement each season, show fans there is an end game. With Jose we didn't really see it, we saw a manager trying to win here and now with not too much preparation for continued success. We can see Ole is trying to implement a certain style with a certain type of player, we don't have the players or squad depth yet. In City and Liverpool we have 2 of the top teams in world football, not just PL. Our rebuild will take time, I don't think we are as far off as some think we are. We've went most of the season missing our only creative mid, and a large part missing our centre forward and now missing our top goalscorer.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
A really weak and off topic response. Funding a new stadium did NOT cause Pochetino to pass up passable opportunities to win the league cup and Europa league. He could have still won those minor cups whilst chasing UCL participation. He prefered to pass up any and every opportunity to instil a winning mentality in his team. And UCL participation ISN'T instilling a winning mentality. That is mere club building.

Pochetino's supporters on here keep pretending he had the smallest budget in the league and the thinnest squad by far in the top 8.
It's a direct reply to your claim that Pochettino passed up on the chance to win trophies - if that makes it "off topic" in your eyes, then so must be the claim that you made in the first place.

Prioritising one thing over another does not mean "passing up" on the other thing. It means that the other thing is of lower priority, but can still be important.

Moreover, did Pochettino "pass up" the chance to win the CL last season? Clearly not, since Spurs made it all the way to the final. And this coincided with the period after our new stadium had been finished and became open for business, whereas all of Pochettino's tenure at Spurs prior to that was during a period when, as I said earlier, Levy's brief for him was to ensure (for financial reasons linked to stadium funding) - as the top priority - a top 4 place.

TheRedHearted

Got it. And after three years if we aren’t challenging- a sack?
On a side note- I think Poch should be scouting at the moment. He has time to go and personally see players at a lower level. Would be good info for whoever hires him.

the chameleon

Pep did, Klopp did, Fergie did.
I think what a club/manager needs to do in a rebuilding phase is show improvement each season, show fans there is an end game. With Jose we didn't really see it, we saw a manager trying to win here and now with not too much preparation for continued success. We can see Ole is trying to implement a certain style with a certain type of player, we don't have the players or squad depth yet. In City and Liverpool we have 2 of the top teams in world football, not just PL. Our rebuild will take time, I don't think we are as far off as some think we are. We've went most of the season missing our only creative mid, and a large part missing our centre forward and now missing our top goalscorer.
Let me rephrase. A top manager doesn't need time get results of some sort. You're right, an element of time is needed. But at the same time, they have to make do with what they have and get the best out of it. He's spent £200 million so far. He's had some decent players in the squad when Jose left.

On paper, we are better than Leicester & Sheffield United, yet we trail them in the league. Brendan Rodgers joined in February 2019 (2 months after Ole). Leicester were in a worse position than us. He hasn't had £200 million to spend on players.

This whole give him time rebuild is utter nonsense. He already had a decent set of players, sold a couple, bought £200 million worth of talent. We are still 8th. Now if were 8th and there were clear signs that there something cooking (could be playing style /players improving), I wouldn't mind. We are 8th and playing bad football.

Does all this mean that Ole is making us underachieve and Brendan is making his Leicester team underachieve? I don't know. But I would rather have manager that gets the most of what they have while they build. Yes, Klopp got time, but he made massive strides in his second season. Liverpool have never finished under 75 points in a full season with Klopp. We would be lucky to get 54 this year.

This giving Ole time will set us back years. He's winging it with his smile and should be nowhere near the top job at any top club.

As the previous poster said, Poch is good at making sides overachieve. Imagine making this group of players overachieve? Would we be in the top 4? I 100% think so.

mu4c_20le

It didn't sound like he was putting forward a case for 'having Poch'? He just suggested that Poch has a record of improving small clubs, and that we should be aiming for more than just top 4. Funny how you call others delusional when you jump over a skyscraper in Dubai to reach those conclusions.

Andersonson

What youngsters have Poch developed to be truly good players for a side winning the prem?

the chameleon

It didn't sound like he was putting forward a case for 'having Poch'? He just suggested that Poch has a record of improving small clubs, and that we should be aiming for more than just top 4. Funny how you call others delusional when you jump over a skyscraper in Dubai to reach those conclusions.
I interpreted it as he is closer to Poch in than Ole in. Did my post touch a nerve? I wonder why? Don't be butthurt my friend.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Maybe with a much bigger budget than at Spurs he can push for the highest honors. 15 mil netspend a season is not a lot to work with.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not the biggest fan of Pochettino -

However,

if Woodward doesn't back a well known manager in his prime in his starting season this time around and uses it just test how he settles then Woodward has to go.

I prefer Nagelsmann to Pochettino but even I can see that pochettino is different to the managers in a akward/downward position they were in before.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Unless we moved fast for him I can see him joining city if guardiola leaves.

Judas

Open to offers
Thing is if he goes to City it’s a massive massive pressure on a bloke who has never won a trophy to deliver the league, because they’d have bigger all else to play for.

Conor

Will any in demand manager really want to go to City if they're banned for 2 years? The amount of pressure on winning the league would be ridiculous, and who knows what further ramifications their legal issues could cause.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Well this would be awkward. Manchester City will be the easier job, but Pochettino won’t be able to compete for the highest honor after coming close with Spurs. This will definitely push Woodward to act quicker because even he should know that Ole isn’t good enough for United let alone Cardiff. If we don’t, we might be in a strange situation where we look at unappealing candidates that will be available like Allegri, Blanc, Southgate, or ride with gamblers luck that Ole will somehow turn this ship around if we keep getting him top players and allow them to freely express themselves.

arthurka

Surprise surprise, dragging our feet will get you nowhere.. Looking forward to next season under Ole.

the chameleon

He'll most likely be top of the league with city this point next year and playing some great football along the way. We'll be fighting for 6th with our fans still muttering that Ole still needs more time. We still need another 5-6 players to get back to where we were. There will be further resentment towards Woodward on how he messed up on not getting Poch. Rinse and repeat.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
So if United and City are in for Pochettino, he basically picks whoever he feels will be in the champions league first right?
I m not sure it will be the easy. Manchester City despite not being in the champions league has a fantastic team. The opportunity to achieve something there is greater than it is at United. They also have a heavy Argentine contingent. Aguero and Otamendhi will welcome Pochettino with open arms and I can see few more South American going there as a result. However, if Pochettino wants a project similar to Spurs with less pressure and more resource, then United job is a perfect match for him. United is more long term, whereas City is short term and expectations are much higher there than here unfortunately.

crossy1686

career ending
I m not sure it will be the easy. Manchester City despite not being in the champions league has a fantastic team. The opportunity to achieve something there is greater than it is at United. They also have a heavy Argentine contingent. Aguero and Otamendhi will welcome Pochettino with open arms and I can see few more South American going there as a result. However, if Pochettino wants a project similar to Spurs with less pressure and more resource, then United job is a perfect match for him. United is more long term, whereas City is short term and expectations are much higher there than here unfortunately.
By the time they’re allowed back in it, presuming the ban is withheld, they’ll need a squad overhaul on a budget similar to arsenals.
United have at least cleared out and are a young squad for the most part.

djembatheking

If the opportunity comes to join City Poch would be a fool to not take it , he would be fully supported by owners that genuinely want to win stuff. It is a no brainer.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
By the time they’re allowed back in it, presuming the ban is withheld, they’ll need a squad overhaul on a budget similar to arsenals.
United have at least cleared out and are a young squad for the most part.
Exactly. They dont have CL for 2 years and by that time our rebuild would also be hopefully complete. It's probably the same tbh with less pressure with us.

Greck

Floating Brendan Rodgers makes it sound like they are gearing up for a lesser manager to see them through till they are back in the CL. They are usually more ambitious with their targets

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Pep would take a year out then replace Sarri at Juve.
I hope not I want Ronaldo to win a CL before he retires for Juventus.

I can see Pep going back to Barcelona.

If Pep does go to Juventus, I hope Sarri gets sacked soon so he is replaced with someone else who can take Juventus forward this season and possibly next until maybe Pep does take over.