A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Erm... Rashford and Martial never kicked on for 2.5 years under Jose after good spells under LVG. So that was a player regression?

A manager comes in and believes in you, both could get 20 goals in the season.. no credit to the manager?
He's being sarcastic

Glorio

Erm... Rashford and Martial never kicked on for 2.5 years under Jose after good spells under LVG. So that was a player regression?

A manager comes in and believes in you, both could get 20 goals in the season.. no credit to the manager?
I believe Eckers was being sarcastic mate ;)

romufc

It's understandable. Some posters are fecking nuts and genuinely believe that.
I get that when things were looking bleak, it was hard to see how we turn things around. But credit has to also be given to Ole for trying to turn it around. He is learning as a manager. If anyone thinks he hasn't improved players just has to look at Martial.

At the start of the season, he said, I want Martial to score tap ins, get in the box score and not just score the outstanding ones.

After his hat trick, Martial said the manager will be happy? Why would he say that if Ole hasnt been in his ear saying get in the box?

Just the fact that he put faith in him to play up top says it all.

Glorio

It's understandable. Some posters are fecking nuts and genuinely believe that.
100% agree - I blame video games and maybe too many dodgy recreational forays of particular psychedelic varieties!

Just a whole mob of entitled, miserable, and impatient armchair critics.

tomaldinho1

I'd certainly fecking begrudge it.

Ole's literally built and improved this squad from the ground up this season. He's put up with the inconsistencies and plain old shit from the likes of Jones, Pereira, Lingard at various points - simply because he hasn't had any other choice. He's seen fit to develop Fred, Rashford, Martial when there were legitimate question marks over all three at various points. He's bought fantastically well, with not a single dud in any of his purchases, and they too have almost without exception, come on leaps and bounds also.

All throughout this season, he's not once complained or bemoaned his situation. He just got on with his job with dignity and self-respect. Carrying himself like a proper Utd manager should.

And now, when we're on the verge of actually getting somewhere, you think it would be right to feck him off if he didn't get Top 4 or CL? Even if he did absolutely everything in his power to get us there? Put it this way, do you think having a fully fit Pogba all the way through this season, as well as a fully fit Martial, McTominay, and Rashford for the accumulative 4 months that they were out between them, would have been worth at least an extra 5 points to us? Because as things stand, those 5 measly points are the only things standing between us and the CL the next season.

There's being spoilt, and then there's this^^
So let's say we finish 6th and don't win any cups - I personally would feel that's one hell of an underachievement. I think everyone on here loves Ole, he's a legend and also has been great for instilling some pride back into the shirt but you have to balance that with the fact that football is a results business. We have Norwich, Brighton, Bournemouth, Villa, Soton, Palace, West Ham, Leicester....if we can't get enough points in those fixtures for me there is zero excuse.

RedDevil@84

So let's say we finish 6th and don't win any cups - I personally would feel that's one hell of an underachievement. I think everyone on here loves Ole, he's a legend and also has been great for instilling some pride back into the shirt but you have to balance that with the fact that football is a results business. We have Norwich, Brighton, Bournemouth, Villa, Soton, Palace, West Ham, Leicester....if we can't get enough points in those fixtures for me there is zero excuse.
I don't think it works like that. Even in a results business, you note the improvements and keep a check on whether things are going on a right path. You don't keep firing people because they don't achieve some lofty targets immediately. If the team is improving and seems to be gelling together, the odds of gaining maximum points from every game keeps increasing. Football managers don't have magic wands.

Managers should be fired prematurely only when they are extremely confrontational with players or administration (think Jose) or absolutely hopeless (think Moyes). Otherwise, they should be fired when the team has stopped showing any signs of progress, over a long period of time.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don't think it works like that. Even in a results business, you note the improvements and keep a check on whether things are going on a right path. You don't keep firing people because they don't achieve some lofty targets immediately. If the team is improving and seems to be gelling together, the odds of gaining maximum points from every game keeps increasing. Football managers don't have magic wands.

Managers should be fired prematurely only when they are extremely confrontational with players or administration (think Jose) or absolutely hopeless (think Moyes). Otherwise, they should be fired when the team has stopped showing any signs of progress, over a long period of time.
If it doesn’t work like that then why bother competing in a league at all. His example is extreme but it’s a fair question to ask.

Jose underperformed dismally given the funds he has been given, this shouldn’t though be used to exaggerate what could be marginal improvements.

Given the Leicester & Chelsea teams/squads occupying 3rd & 4th it would be a hugely missed opportunity to not finish in the Top4.

The name of the game is to win, OgS may one day take us to the top but neither he nor his players have excelled over the full course of a season where aside the 2 best teams in the country it has lacked quality.

I agree you don’t keep firing people though & having given him £130mil to spend on defence there’s little point bringing in a manager that may not rate those players; he should start next season as our manager, no doubt, but results must improve & that isn’t a guarantee.

Remember the geese

I'd certainly fecking begrudge it.

Ole's literally built and improved this squad from the ground up this season. He's put up with the inconsistencies and plain old shit from the likes of Jones, Pereira, Lingard at various points - simply because he hasn't had any other choice. He's seen fit to develop Fred, Rashford, Martial when there were legitimate question marks over all three at various points. He's bought fantastically well, with not a single dud in any of his purchases, and they too have almost without exception, come on leaps and bounds also.

All throughout this season, he's not once complained or bemoaned his situation. He just got on with his job with dignity and self-respect. Carrying himself like a proper Utd manager should.

And now, when we're on the verge of actually getting somewhere, you think it would be right to feck him off if he didn't get Top 4 or CL? Even if he did absolutely everything in his power to get us there? Put it this way, do you think having a fully fit Pogba all the way through this season, as well as a fully fit Martial, McTominay, and Rashford for the accumulative 4 months that they were out between them, would have been worth at least an extra 5 points to us? Because as things stand, those 5 measly points are the only things standing between us and the CL the next season.

There's being spoilt, and then there's this^^
Brilliant post.

AFC NimbleThumb

Nonsense - and stop using the word re-build, there was never one in the first place. The obvious duds have left, a few remain - the core is pretty decent and something any manager could work with. A new manager needs 2-3 players to make us competitive anyway, and said manager would never get rid om the 8 players that are good enough. Pogba, Rashford, Fernandes et al, they stay regardless. We need to stop accepting being «good at times», we have won 13 out of 31 league games for god’s sake - a better manager would do better. Before any excuse about last summer is served, that was on OGS. Selling Lukaku without a replacement, not smart - which can be seen in the huge gap in goals scored for us vs the best teams. Rashford got injured? Yes, that happens when you need it the most and have no replacements.
Agree with this.

You can think OgS deserves more time [I personally think he should be allowed to start next season] but this season, thus far, has been underwhelming given the competition.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The only thing that surprises me about this thread is that people engage in any form of debate with Poch's PR man, @Amadaeus. There have been biased posters on here but he truly takes it to the next level.

dbs235

Agree with this.

You can think OgS deserves more time [I personally think he should be allowed to start next season] but this season, thus far, has been underwhelming given the competition.
If we had the 11 we played against Sheffield United all season then 5th/6th would be a huge underachievement. We've had no Pogba all season, no Rashford and Bruno for half the season. Greenwood was used sporadically but will probably be first choice now. Starting 11s featuring James, Periera, Lingard aren't going to win many games for us. Like you said Ole should be allowed next season with a better first 11, see what he can do then.

AFC NimbleThumb

If we had the 11 we played against Sheffield United all season then 5th/6th would be a huge underachievement. We've had no Pogba all season, no Rashford and Bruno for half the season. Greenwood was used sporadically but will probably be first choice now. Starting 11s featuring James, Periera, Lingard aren't going to win many games for us. Like you said Ole should be allowed next season with a better first 11, see what he can do then.
Bruno wasn’t our player for half a season so he wasn’t ‘absent’, the club made a mistake purchasing him 6 months late.

Rashford has missed 12 games which is hardly half the season; had the season ran its proper course we’d have been f’d but it didn’t.

I take the Pogba point but had we bought Bruno in the summer perhaps things play out differently but we didn’t.

I’m not arguing with your points but teams lose players due to injury & we can barely lament not having a player for games he literally could not play. The teams against Palace & Bournemouth were not worse than their opposition; things are looking up but viewing the season as a whole - it’s been littered with poor coaching/playing performances.

I’m in the habit of judging the team on what has happened, not what may have. The team must do better but given how the season has been OgS should start next year in charge.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lets not rewrite history. We are not rawk. Ole is doing very well and our team is looking great and we are all happy about it.
But for most of your "IFs" was Ole fault. Ole played with wrong tactics, wrong selection etc...
He played months with Lingard on no10. He played with Pereira and Matic midfield. And lots of other things.

Yes, now (i hope) he found winning formula but during finding best setup he did lots of bad decisions which will maybe cost us CL.

dbs235

Bruno wasn’t our player for half a season so he wasn’t ‘absent’, the club made a mistake purchasing him 6 months late.

Rashford has missed 12 games which is hardly half the season; had the season ran its proper course we’d have been f’d but it didn’t.

I take the Pogba point but had we bought Bruno in the summer perhaps things play out differently but we didn’t.

I’m not arguing with your points but teams lose players due to injury & we can barely lament not having a player for games he literally could not play. The teams against Palace & Bournemouth were not worse than their opposition; things are looking up but viewing the season as a whole - it’s been littered with poor coaching/playing performances.

I’m in the habit of judging the team on what has happened, not what may have. The team must do better but given how the season has been OgS should start next year in charge.
I never said that Bruno was "absent" or lamenting Pogba for being injured. I was saying that the first 11 we can put out right now isn't what we've been able to field all season. The line ups we've had for most of the season are probably about 4th/5th in the league. The one we can put out right now is probably 3rd.

alexthelion

Have to look at the season as a whole, as it stands we could have a great finish (cups and CL places up for grabs) but we could also miss out on everything. I think even the most Ole-in fans wouldn't begrudge Poch (or whoever) coming in if we missed out on CL and dropped out of both cups if you look at our squad compared to pretty much any other team.
Don't want poch, never have. Very overrated imo.

The Oracle

A manager is always judged on his CV, and rightly so.

For big clubs the part of the CV that stands out the most is the trophy section

...as much as it turned out quite toxic in the end, you always knew that Mourinho would deliver trophies - the same as van Gaal would deliver silverware too.

In my opinion Pochettino is not an upgrade to Solskjaer.

For me Poch's biggest managerial mistake - when he had an excellent chance to win a major trophy, was selecting Harry Kane for the Champions League final (when he wasn't 'match fit'), and benching Lucas Moura (who was in the form of his life)

...of course the Tottenham fans will never blame him for doing that because Harry is 'one of their own'.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If Pochettino has gotten Dybala last summer, he would have won the league(Or came in second bc this Liverpool team was incredible in the league). Bruno has been an incredible addition for us and we understand what a good signing does. Pochettino was just not as supported to the extent of a top club manager.

It would be interesting if the Saudi with their endless amount of money buys Newcastle and get Pochettino as their manager. He will definitely be more supported there than he was at Spurs. We might also be looking at the next dominant team in the league post big money acquisition similar to Chelsea andManchester City.

Handré1990

If Pochettino has gotten Dybala last summer, he would have won the league(Or came in second bc this Liverpool team was incredible in the league). Bruno has been an incredible addition for us and we understand what a good signing does. Pochettino was just not as supported to the extent of a top club manager.

It would be interesting if the Saudi with their endless amount of money buys Newcastle and get Pochettino as their manager. He will definitely be more supported there than he was at Spurs. We might also be looking at the next dominant team in the league post big money acquisition similar to Chelsea andManchester City.
:lol:

Son

Is this a troll post? I can’t tell in this thread now.

Ole will stay for another year at least. We are looking good atm (not great) and the fans trust him. See how we compete next season when the pressure is really on.

Our squad is now very good so no excuses next season. Title challenge should be on the cards. Anything less than 3rd is an insane underachievement with the players we have at our disposal.

Add Sancho and Grealish etc to the mix we are one of the best sides anywhere player for player in world football. Then he gets judged.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Is this a troll post? I can’t tell in this thread now.

Ole will stay for another year at least. We are looking good atm (not great) and the fans trust him. See how we compete next season when the pressure is really on.

Our squad is now very good so no excuses next season. Title challenge should be on the cards. Anything less than 3rd is an insane underachievement with the players we have at our disposal.

Add Sancho and Grealish etc to the mix we are one of the best sides anywhere player for player in world football. Then he gets judged.
Nah, it is not. Dybala is an exceptional player and he would have taken Spurs to another level especially when surrounded by Kane and Son, and coached by Pochettino. Just imagine where United would be if we did not sign Bruno. We won’t be near top four that is for sure.

Son

Nah, it is not. Dybala is an exceptional player and he would have taken Spurs to another level especially when surrounded by Kane and Son, and coached by Pochettino. Just imagine where United would be if we did not sign Bruno. We won’t be near top four that is for sure.
Tbh your point on Bruno is right and also pretty worrying if he gets injured for us. We definitely need some kind of backup.

Daniel James again was awful last night. He’s going to be scapegoated next season I imagine and it’s not his fault he’s not good enough for this team.

Our backups are just not of the quality required to win a title but I hope I’m wrong. It’s a big problem going forward otherwise.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I personally lost faith in him on the CL final day when he had to bring Kane back from pre-injury to even feel like he had the chance but didnt have the guts to play a player like Lucas upfront because he couldn't adapt his tactics enough for that match - even though lucas did well to get them there vs Ajax.
I'm pretty sure that's where the Spurs players lost faith in him too.

Flexdegea

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unebelievable.

Seriously does people still clamour for Poch?

Seems so long ago the debate for bringing him in. Boat really sailed. We are in middle of building something really good at the moment and I for one is enjoying the ride.

Zen86

Unebelievable.

Seems so long ago the debate for bringing him in. Boat really sailed. We are in middle of building something really good at the moment and I for one is enjoying the ride.
Let’s just hope that Poch never gets backed by a Saudi owned Newcastle, I fear it would be the end of competitive PL football as we know it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Unebelievable.

We could win the treble with Ole but armedeus would still say would would have done it better or the quad with Poch.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Let’s just hope that Poch never gets backed by a Saudi owned Newcastle, I fear it would be the end of competitive PL football as we know it.
Newcastle FC has a operating income of around £180m. They are still subject to FFP like anyone else.

Manchester City are currently facing a 2 year CL ban and the undoing of their project for not complying with the FFP. You can assume that UEFA will heavily scrutiinze everything Newcastle FC's book keeping if they suddenly start shopping like Real Madrid.

I get that one assumes Said money = Major force. But this will be a 2-3 season long grower.

Also a reminder that the Saudi prince murdered a reporter in cold blood. This is who now owns Newcastle FC.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Newcastle FC has a operating income of around £180m. They are still subject to FFP like anyone else.

Manchester City are currently facing a 2 year CL ban and the undoing of their project for not complying with the FFP. You can assume that UEFA will heavily scrutiinze everything Newcastle FC's book keeping if they suddenly start shopping like Real Madrid.

I get that one assumes Said money = Major force. But this will be a 2-3 season long grower.

Also a reminder that the Saudi prince murdered a reporter in cold blood. This is who now owns Newcastle FC.
I read @Zen86 post as sarcasm, I hope it was :lol:

your post is also true mind

Guy Incognito

Unebelievable.

Week is a long time in football though.

Things will change, press will agitate for stories and Poch will be linked.

FujiVice

The Barca and Juventus jobs have been available during the time he's been out of work. What's the deal here? Is he waiting on Ole or Jose to get the chop or is it a case of no big side thinking he's worth taking on?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Barca and Juventus jobs have been available during the time he's been out of work. What's the deal here? Is he waiting on Ole or Jose to get the chop or is it a case of no big side thinking he's worth taking on?
He will be in the mix for all the big jobs, he will get one eventually. I think he is waiting for the right 'fit' and not just jumping at the first job available which I think is wise. My own opinion was that he was never going to get Barcelona job because of his history with Espanyol and clearly Juve wanted Pirlo.