A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
fair play :lol:
I'll wait to see who wins the cups this year - if Jose win the PL and Simeone wins the CL I will forever bow to your wisdom.
Ha, it was said in jest :)

I do see where you’re coming from but styles don’t last for ever, teams are already working out how to counter a high press well, I don’t think it’s the be all and end all

monosierra

Agreed, 100%. Not even just Poch, but a few others too. We're struggling and have a limited style of play that is reliant on individual inspiration on the day, under Ole. Meanwhile we are all here arguing over stupid stats etc.

I firmly believe if we just took the plunge, we'd never look back. Poch would take us up a level or two. To a title? Who knows. But if not then we could easily hire a top manager at that point to see it through. This is what other top clubs do.

Let's just act like a fecking top club that is ruthless for success for once.
We don't need to be a fecking top club to remain a lucrative source of income for our owners though. Is Pochettino worth the risk - that is the question the owners have to answer. Sticking with Ole has the benefit of working with what management is familiar with - with the risk being disasters like getting knocked out of the CL and all the income lost from that defeat, not to mention what is clearly a stagnation. What is the Risk/Return of going for Pochettino? Would we risk missing out on a better manager in the near future? Would we need to spend and sell to tailor a squad to his liking? Would we have to sack him again in a couple of seasons, given ownership/management and the institutional rot that has been the one constant through the past decade still remains?

youngrell

Again please reread, I specified "just because someone takes more risk, it doesn't make them poor tactically if the risk/reward works out in their favour, relative to the team they are managing". We're not talking about Farke at Norwich where they tried to play beautiful football and were relegated, we're talking about Pochettino's Spurs.

Wait, are you saying Ole tried to play front foot football against PSG?
You also mentioned Bielsa and Hasenhuttl in your last reply.

And what you’re pointing out is obvious, of course they’ll look tactically great every now and then when their approach beats a better side but you also have to question their approach when it doesn’t the majority of the time.

What are they trying to do, win matches or imaginary awards for playing the ‘right way’.

Do you not think we tried to win the game last week?

soapythecat

As much as I desperately want Ole away from managing United, I'd probably opt to keep him rather than change for Poch.
I don't think their approach is too dissimilar, and we would be on Poch's back pretty soon for not changing things around.

ti vu

I could see it. As far as my knowledge goes, Dortmund is a well run club, consistently in the UCL, with potential world beaters. If I were Poch, why not?
Glad somebody also think the same.

There is less competition in Germany league behind Bayern. Bundesliga right now is very attractive to young talented players, which playing into Dortmund hand. They may not spend on the scale of rich clubs, but they do spend enough to attract world class young talent if given the chance. Poch can be really good for young talented players.

Micky Targaryen

Glad somebody also think the same.

There is less competition in Germany league behind Bayern. Bundesliga right now is very attractive to young talented players, which playing into Dortmund hand. They may not spend on the scale of rich clubs, but they do spend enough to attract world class young talent if given the chance. Poch can be really good for young talented players.
Would actually love to see Poch strive in Dortmund, if we don't get to him first. :cool:

RedDevil@84

Anyone else thinks Dortmund would be his destination?
I am not so sure that Dortmund would want him. He has a half-reputation of working with some talents at Spurs. But beyond that, I really don't see Dortmund looking at Poch and thinking this is what we want

Needham

Pochettino is merely gaining weight and losing relevance. Seriously, how long would you wait?

Castia

I could see it. As far as my knowledge goes, Dortmund is a well run club, consistently in the UCL, with potential world beaters. If I were Poch, why not?
They’re a ‘stepping stone’ club though aren’t they, they make players then 18 months later sell them on. Not sure Poch would be up for that.

Haaland and Sancho will be gone soon, Bellingham after that it’s a never ending loop.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
To PSG then?

As we watch another top manager pass us by.

L1nk

I believe Bouhafsi is saying he’s going to PSG. I hope we dont live to regret this, but knowing this club..

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Imagine getting sacked from Spurs and ending up at PSG. Talk about someone nicking your Ford Focus only for you to be given a Ferrari as a replacement.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Imagine getting sacked from Spurs and ending up at PSG. Talk about someone nicking your Ford Focus only for you to be given a Ferrari as a replacement.
With the caveat that you can only drive your Ferrari in a small town that has one high street.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Good riddance! Hopefully it’ll shut a lot of our supporters up if he fecks off to another club.

can’t wait to see him telling neymar he has to work harder and press and track back

Carl

With the caveat that you can only drive your Ferrari in a small town that has one high street.
I'm sure he'd enjoy driving it around all the major European towns too. And he'll be able to fill the tank with premium fuel.

L1nk

Good riddance! Hopefully it’ll shut a lot of our supporters up if he fecks off to another club.

can’t wait to see him telling neymar he has to work harder and press and track back
Imagine this thought process because some supporters of the club want a specific manager at the helm when he’s been free for a while, the cults on this forum are surely weird

United58

Hahaha! Surely even Poch can win a trophy at P$G then all his little fan boys will be back out the woodwork.
Mr MMM has another 3 letter acronym to learn

Imagine this thought process because some supporters of the club want a specific manager at the helm when he’s been free for a while, the cults on this forum are surely weird
The football forum's tame compared to the rubbish in General :lol:

tomaldinho1

Hahaha! Surely even Poch can win a trophy at PSG then all his little fan boys will be back out the woodwork.

Why do you guys feel the need to post this kind of stuff? Seems a bit overboard. It would be a good move for him, he should win trophies and I think the CL is as open as ever this season, they are probably among the favorites to win it.

FYI Neymar actually pressed and worked hard under Tuchel, I expect he would do the same under Poch (if he goes there).

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Imagine what? Looking forward to seeing how he deals with superstars instead of Dele Ali? Laughing if he fails because fans here use him to beat our current manager constantly. PSG are going to win their league, I hope they don’t win the champions league. Shoot me

I agree a lot of posters are weird though

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why do you guys feel the need to post this kind of stuff? Seems a bit overboard. It would be a good move for him, he should win trophies and I think the CL is as open as ever this season, they are probably among the favorites to win it.

FYI Neymar actually pressed and worked hard under Tuchel, I expect he would do the same under Poch (if he goes there).
Because I’m sick to death of reading fans posting on here how he’d come in to do a better job than what Ole is doing. Him going to another club would be a relief.
him failing and watching all his manic followers met down and defend him would be funny. Let’s see it happen

Carl

Why do you guys feel the need to post this kind of stuff? Seems a bit overboard.
It's classic red cafe when debates turn toxic. You have those that argue for Poch and those that argue against. There's no middle ground and the opinions become more and more extreme.

Poch is a really good manager. That much is obvious.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's classic red cafe when debates turn toxic. You have those that argue for Poch and those that argue against. There's no middle ground and the opinions become more and more extreme.

Poch is a really good manager. That much is obvious.
I didn’t say he wasn’t good though? I just said I hope it shuts out supporters up who cry for him and that I’m going to like to see how he deals with superstars and not just Southampton or Spurs. What’s toxic about that?

Carl

I didn’t say he wasn’t good though? I just said I hope it shuts out supporters up who cry for him and that I’m going to like to see how he deals with superstars and not just Southampton or Spurs. What’s toxic about that?
Never said your post was toxic pal, I'm on about the Poch In debate in general.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Never said your post was toxic pal, I'm on about the Poch In debate in general.
Ahh, you replied to the guy questioning my post saying it’s classic caf debate turning toxic so I though that implied me

L1nk

Imagine what? Looking forward to seeing how he deals with superstars instead of Dele Ali? Laughing if he fails because fans here use him to beat our current manager constantly. PSG are going to win their league, I hope they don’t win the champions league. Shoot me

I agree a lot of posters are weird though
Our own manager hasn’t even succeeded and you’re talking about laughing at another one if he fails because some people want him here. On paper Pochettino is better than Ole so I can see why some want him here, Ole is doing okay at the moment, but lets not pretend he’s been the messiah, its been perfectly reasonable at many times to want to see Ole be replaced, but he has at least earned the season