A Solskjaer Masterclass. Whoop Whoop!!!

Greck

People really need to hit the brakes on the celebrations. We're now 4 days removed from the result. This is starting to mirror Jose beating Juventus away. At least wait till the momentum has fully taken off, 2 wins in 2 games is a good start to reignite our season

Stig

Against "better" teams Ole seems to like to counter attack and Rashord and Martial seem to best at sprinting with the ball and scoring one on one with the keeper. When a "lesser" team is parking the bus we can't break them down. In these games, as we know we will have the majority of the ball, I think we should play one less defender and add Mata who likes playing little one-twos to open up space up front. I would always play Greenwood in these games as he seems to get a shot of more quickly in limited space, more quick fire, than Rashford or Martial.

It seems reasonable when you know you will have 75% possession that your set up should be different than when you are going to have 50% possession or less.

Foxbatt

Against "better" teams Ole seems to like to counter attack and Rashord and Martial seem to best at sprinting with the ball and scoring one on one with the keeper. When a "lesser" team is parking the bus we can't break them down. In these games, as we know we will have the majority of the ball, I think we should play one less defender and add Mata who likes playing little one-twos to open up space up front. I would always play Greenwood in these games as he seems to get a shot of more quickly in limited space, more quick fire, than Rashford or Martial.

It seems reasonable when you know you will have 75% possession that your set up should be different than when you are going to have 50% possession or less.
And move the ball a lot more quickly. Cavani may be the answer to those games. But we hardly get these kinds of games anymore.
All the clubs play the same kind of game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
When a "lesser" team is parking the bus we can't break them down.
We did break down Newcastle - in the end.

We dominated possession and created a shitload of chances (had an insane amount of shots on target). If our actual goals had been more evenly spread across ninety minutes, it would've looked like an utterly dominant performance and win.

ETA

In terms of what sources like Whoscored and Understat define as "chances" we dominated completely (to the tune of five to one).

We had 14 shots on target to Newcastle's 4.

Possession: 63% (United).

Newcastle didn't have a single corner - we had seven.

All in all, based on both stats and the old eye test (granted, I wasn't 100% sober for the entire 90), I'd say the result was 100% deserved and that we - actually - spanked Newcastle, a "lesser" team very much prone to parking the bus, relatively speaking (under Brucie).

Last edited:

iato89

Not sure what your definition of 'teams sit back' is but let's say every team that is not Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, is that fair? (I'm not counting Everton, Leicester or Wolves as 'big' teams) If so, since the Burnley debacle on the 22nd of January (we lost 0:2 at home), this is our record:

• Watford at home, 3:0 win
  • Everton away, 1:1 draw
  • Derby County away for the FA Cup, 3:0 win
  • Sheffield United at home, 3:0 win
  • Norwich, neutral for the FA Cup, 1:2 win after extra time
  • Brighton away, 3:0 win
  • Bournemouth at home, 5:2 win
  • Aston Villa away, 3:0 win
  • Southampton at home, 2:2 draw (the game we lost Shaw to injury)
  • Crystal Palace away, 2:0 win
  • West Ham at home, 1:1 draw
  • Leicester away, 2:0 win
  • Crystal Palace at home, 1:3 loss (new season)
  • Luton away for the Carabao, 3:0 win
  • Brighton away, 3:2 win
  • Brighton away for the Carabao, 3:0 win
  • Newcastle away, 4:1 win
Well, not sure what do you see as inconsistency but to me a record of 13 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss is not one.
So Norwich win was in extra time so at full time it was another draw, brighton away this season they hit 4/5 posts and we won thanks to a var ''penalty''. I am not saying all games we will lose/draw as we have some great individual players hence why people believe we can do much better then what we are doing. This season will highlight all these issues yet again, last year we finished 3rd with only 66 points in a strange season were if covid didnt happen Lei would have not imploded as they did but thats all in the past now. All we can do is see how this season goes and we will have a much clearer picture, just remember we are already (almost) 2 years since he joined and many people are not convinced.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We did break down Newcastle - in the end.

We dominated possession and created a shitload of chances (had an insane amount of shots on target). If our actual goals had been more evenly spread across ninety minutes, it would've looked like an utterly dominant performance and win.

ETA

In terms of what sources like Whoscored and Understat define as "chances" we dominated completely (to the tune of five to one).

We had 14 shots on target to Newcastle's 4.

Possession: 63% (United).

Newcastle didn't have a single corner - we had seven.

All in all, based on both stats and the old eye test (granted, I wasn't 100% sober for the entire 90), I'd say the result was 100% deserved and that we - actually - spanked Newcastle, a "lesser" team very much prone to parking the bus, relatively speaking (under Brucie).
The Newcastle game is just a reflection of what we can do , albeit a bit laboured until the final 15 minutes when teams give us the freedom of the city and leave gaping holes that any double decker bus could drive through. So no, this game wasn't one of the lesser sides parking the bus and us getting a result but a badly organised Newcastle side who'll be lucky to avoid relegation.